PDA

View Full Version : Orton, Stokley make potent combination

TXBRONC
08-07-2009, 06:54 AM
I know this is similar thread about Orton getting booed but is a different take that's why I put this up as separate thread.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13012341

Orton, Stokley make potent combination

By Mike Klis

The Denver Post
Posted: 08/07/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 08/07/2009 01:27:22 AM MDT

As the largest crowd to ever watch a Broncos practice began to disperse Thursday night, they took with them autographs from a player or two and a first impression of quarterback Kyle Orton.

The autographs, most of which were scribbled quickly, may have been easier to read.

Orton completed so many passes to Brandon Stokley during the controlled scrimmage at Invesco Field at Mile High that no one should have trouble learning who will play the Wes Welker role in the Broncos' new offense this year.

But there was also a smattering of boos from the gathering of 13,402 fans after Orton was intercepted twice by cornerback Andre Goodman, who returned one for a touchdown.

"Made some mistakes, did some good things," Orton said. "Got some things to learn from."

For the first time in a while, backup quarterback Chris Simms took a few snaps with the first-team offense. Is the quarterback competition back on?

"I can't answer that," Simms said. "I did the best with the reps I get. Whether it's with the ones or twos, I don't really care. I'm just going to go out and compete. I know that's a token answer, but it's the truth."

In the latter part of the scrimmage, however, Orton took every rep with the first team.

"Kyle's progressing every day," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "Great attitude, understands the system and again, there's a lot of people that have got to improve with what they're doing."

No one saw Brian Dawkins or Brandon Marshall. Dawkins, the Broncos' newly acquired Pro Bowl safety, had surgery to repair a broken right hand, an injury he suffered during the training camp workout Tuesday. Dawkins is expected to be out two weeks.

Marshall, the Broncos' leading receiver with 206 catches the previous two seasons, has been out since suffering a leg injury Sunday.

The evening scrimmage did introduce the fans to the cover skills of Goodman while allowing them to become reacquainted with Stokley.

On the first of Goodman's interceptions, Orton had Jabar Gaffney open on a post pattern but threw the ball short, allowing Goodman to recover it. On the second interception, a receiver slipped and Goodman was ready.

"I read the route early, and when the receiver slipped, I had a read on it," Goodman said. "It was nice to make a few plays in front of a decent crowd like that."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

CoachChaz
08-07-2009, 07:13 AM
No one saw Brian Dawkins or Brandon Marshall. Dawkins, the Broncos' newly acquired Pro Bowl safety, had surgery to repair a broken right hand, an injury he suffered during the training camp workout Tuesday. Dawkins is expected to be out two weeks.

On the second interception, a receiver slipped and Goodman was ready.

Based on recent "sky is falling" posts...these are key things to take from the report.

atwater27
08-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I am positive that the Orton to Stokely connection will soon rival Manning to Harrison. Great article.

NightTrainLayne
08-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Sarcasm = The poor man's substitute for a good point.

atwater27
08-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Sarcasm = The poor man's substitute for a good point.

I am indeed a poor man. Sorry if I laugh when I envision Orton to Stokely as a highlight reel on Sunday nights this season. I mean, if the guy said Orton to Marshall or Orton to Royal, perhaps I would not laugh.