PDA

View Full Version : bronco COACHES that got away !

Chef Zambini
09-22-2012, 12:56 PM
two of them come to town this week-end !
KUBIAK, the REAL genius behind the broncos of the late 90's !
wade philips, a great defensive mind !
mike nolan, ask PM what he thinks !
bobby turner, the REAL GENIUS behind the broncos run game of the late 90's and early decade of the new millenium.
alex gibbs
rick dennison
have we ever had a great special teams coach?

BroncoWave
09-22-2012, 01:04 PM
That's what happens when you are a great assistant. You get promoted to HC somewhere else. This happens to pretty much every team in the NFL at one point or another.

Chef Zambini
09-22-2012, 01:09 PM
perhaps, but thats not how, gibbs,turner, nolan
and philips exited our franchise !
they all got pushed out !

Chef Zambini
09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
dennison too !

SR
09-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Why do you only have a couple of words on each line?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rick
09-22-2012, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't have minded Rick Dennison over Mccoy as OC here if he would have taken it, he would have called a lot more offense here than he does in Houston.

He was my second choice at HC after Fox.

Wade Phillips hasn't proven to be a good HC anywhere in the league so I am not as worried about that and he was a HC last he was here so not like we chased him away because he couldn't cut it as DC.

Didn't Gibbs choose to leave? Don't remember but I thought he semi retired.

Kubiac would have been great but we didn't have a choice there, he went back to his home state to be a HC.

Nolan is top of my list as a guy we chased away. IMO he was the real reason McDanials managed a 6-0 start and he should have stayed out of the way and let Nolan do his job.

Letting Turner go, he is a great rb coach but i think Studd does an alright job, and he is probably a big reason why Willis is even here.

Northman
09-22-2012, 01:52 PM
McDaniels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Ravage!!!
09-22-2012, 02:11 PM
I think Kubiak has done a very POOR job in Houston. Although he would hve been better than the coach that took over for Shanahan, he was already gone by then. But there is no way that Kubiak was the 'mind' behind anything. He's been nothing but a failure in Texas.

As far as Nolan goes... If you are talking about a DC, yes, it was pretty ridiculous that our HC chased that guy away. But Nolan has proved to be a poor HC, so keeping him in the transition may have been tough anyway. I DO think that our current DC is fantastic, and dn't think we lose much between he and Nolan.

Wade Phillips on the other hand, is a better DC than both of them. Wish he could have been our DC with Shanahan as the HC... that would have been awesome.

BroncoWave
09-22-2012, 02:15 PM
I think Kubiak has done a very POOR job in Houston. Although he would hve been better than the coach that took over for Shanahan, he was already gone by then. But there is no way that Kubiak was the 'mind' behind anything. He's been nothing but a failure in Texas.

As far as Nolan goes... If you are talking about a DC, yes, it was pretty ridiculous that our HC chased that guy away. But Nolan has proved to be a poor HC, so keeping him in the transition may have been tough anyway. I DO think that our current DC is fantastic, and dn't think we lose much between he and Nolan.

Wade Phillips on the other hand, is a better DC than both of them. Wish he could have been our DC with Shanahan as the HC... that would have been awesome.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Yes they were mediocre for a while but they made the playoffs and won a game with a rookie QB last year and are now looking like the best team in the AFC this year. It took a while to get to this point but to say "he's been nothing but a failure" is one of the most insane things you have ever said, which is saying something.

BroncoWave
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
If Gary Kubiak is a complete failure, then what are the Josh McDaniels, Charlie Weiss, Lane Kiffin, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, and Raheem Morrises of the world?

Ravage!!!
09-22-2012, 02:18 PM
That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Yes they were mediocre for a while but they made the playoffs and won a game with a rookie QB last year and are now looking like the best team in the AFC this year. It took a while to get to this point but to say "he's been nothing but a failure" is one of the most insane things you have ever said, which is saying something.

Really? He's been on the "hotseat" forever now. How long has it taken him to finally GET to the playoffs? He's failed over and over again, after having HIGH expectations considering the talent he's had on that team. People were expecting him to get FIRED 3 years ago because of his lack of production, and last year's result simply bought him one more season.

He has been a total and utter letdown.

Ravage!!!
09-22-2012, 02:19 PM
If Gary Kubiak is a complete failure, then what are the Josh McDaniels, Charlie Weiss, Lane Kiffin, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, and Raheem Morrises of the world?

:lol: :lol: Dude..these guys are TERRIBLE HCs!! Kubiak hasn't accomplished much more, other than the ONE game you try to hang your hat on. Thanks for making my point for me.

Chef Zambini
09-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runnerit makes it easier to read.

SoCalImport
09-22-2012, 02:23 PM
bobby turner
alex gibbs, , the REAL GENIUS behind the broncos run game of the late 90's and early decade of the new millenium.

fixed it

Chef Zambini
09-22-2012, 02:24 PM
:lol: :lol: Dude..these guys are TERRIBLE HCs!! Kubiak hasn't accomplished much more, other than the ONE game you try to hang your hat on. Thanks for making my point for me.

so what is your opinion of shanahan?
what has he done since KUBIAK left?

Chef Zambini
09-22-2012, 02:26 PM
fixed itgibbs and turner ! shanny didnt know squat about the run game, never has, never will.

Hawgdriver
09-22-2012, 02:57 PM

It's f'in haiku, man.

Hawgdriver
09-22-2012, 03:03 PM
I think Kubiak has done a very POOR job in Houston. .. He's been nothing but a failure in Texas. .. He's been an utter letdown.

Kind of a head scratcher for me, those statements. I'm not saying you are wrong, but it gave me a real 'what?' moment. I thought it was good to be the HMFIC of one of the league's best teams. Does he have nothing to do with their turnaround to a winning culture? Nothing to do with the assemblage of talent?

Ravage!!!
09-22-2012, 03:07 PM
so what is your opinion of shanahan?
what has he done since KUBIAK left?

I'm confused. I thought Shanahan was fired because he couldn't win. Shanahan had 1 losing season in ten years AFTER winning 2 Super Bowls in Denver. Kubiak, has had TWO WINNING seasons in Houston. Last year, his 6th year as a HC, was the first time to reach double digit wins.

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10
10-6

Yeah.. Wow...he's been "amazing" in Houston. He and Norv Turner can fight it out for "coach of the year." :coffee:

Ravage!!!
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Kind of a head scratcher for me, those statements. I'm not saying you are wrong, but it gave me a real 'what?' moment. I thought it was good to be the HMFIC of one of the league's best teams. Does he have nothing to do with their turnaround to a winning culture? Nothing to do with the assemblage of talent?

Winning Culture? What winning culture? ONE 10 win season in 6 years, only two winning seasons in those years, and no two winning seasons in a row, and thats a winning culture?

Northman
09-22-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm confused. I thought Shanahan was fired because he couldn't win. Shanahan had 1 losing season in ten years AFTER winning 2 Super Bowls in Denver. Kubiak, has had TWO WINNING seasons in Houston. Last year, his 6th year as a HC, was the first time to reach double digit wins.

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10
10-6

Yeah.. Wow...he's been "amazing" in Houston. He and Norv Turner can fight it out for "coach of the year." :coffee:

I dont think Kubes is a failure perse, but he hasnt really delivered what they thought or were expecting. I mean, judging by his first few years he has done no better (or worse) than Shanahan did his last few years with the Broncos yet a lot of people hang their hat on the idea that he didnt live up to his promise either. Cant blame injuries as Shanahan's teams all faced the same kind of stuff. Good thing for Kubes is that he's been given a long leash (a very long one at that) to try and make it happen but frankly after going 6-10 two years ago im surprised he still had a job. I still think if they dont make a push this offseason he could still be on the hotseat. At some point the organization needs to see result.

Ravage!!!
09-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I dont think Kubes is a failure perse, but he hasnt really delivered what they thought or were expecting. I mean, judging by his first few years he has done no better (or worse) than Shanahan did his last few years with the Broncos yet a lot of people hang their hat on the idea that he didnt live up to his promise either. Cant blame injuries as Shanahan's teams all faced the same kind of stuff. Good thing for Kubes is that he's been given a long leash (a very long one at that) to try and make it happen but frankly after going 6-10 two years ago im surprised he still had a job. I still think if they dont make a push this offseason he could still be on the hotseat. At some point the organization needs to see result.

Ok.. "total failure" was probably a bit harsh on my part. I mean, McDoosh was a total failure. I guess I was thinking of the 6-10 season aftr having just pedestrian seasons prior to that.

But...lets face it. If Kubiak has a good playoff run this year, he probably gets another. If he doesn't...he's probably gone. So I don't think Kubiak has done a marvelous job in Houston. I think nothing more than average at best. A lot of coaches come to new franchises and turn things around. Kubiak hasn't exactly risen this team to the top. Ten wins is their best with him. Hell, we got 8 without a QB.

SR
09-22-2012, 04:21 PM
it makes it easier to read.

For who? You?

MOtorboat
09-22-2012, 06:03 PM
gibbs and turner ! shanny didnt know squat about the run game, never has, never will.

Haha.

It wouldn't shock me if you started this thread just to find a way to disparage Shanahan...

Fact: You have complained about every head coach of the Broncos since I first saw your posts nearly 10 years ago.

Dzone
09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Why would we have kept Wade Phillips? He was one of the worst head coaches in franchise history. He's great as a dc, but he sucks as a head coach

silkamilkamonico
09-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Not really sure about how Kubiacks performance has been in Houston.

I know one thing, as far as where the states of the franchises are at this moment, I would trade our team for their's every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Simple Jaded
09-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Gary Kubiak can coach my team any F'n day.......

Npba900
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
20-20 hind-sight says Bowlen should not have fired Shanny with 3-years remaining on his contract. Shanny's system was the continuity. Bowlen hiring McD......was one of the dumbest move in Bronco history, but Bowlen is the owner so he can do what he wants. But that doesn't mean he gets a free pass.

Not making the playoffs back in 2008 sealed Shanny's fate and ended his tenure as the only Bronco HC to win 2 consecutive SB's. However, I believe had the Broncos not lost 7 RB's to season ending injuries and mainly had Peyton Hill's not torn his hamstring, the 2008 Broncos would have made the playoffs and won their division thus saving Shanny's HC job in Denver. Shanahan believed he had something special in Cutler to build the team around that's for sure.

To win consistently, make the playoffs and win the SB in the NFL a HC needs that pro bowl top 5 or 10 future HOF QB. Without it......you are a mediocre HC.

Kube nor Shanny has not had a legitimate HOF-Pro Bowl QB since Elway retired over 14 years ago. Whereas, Belichick has been to 5 SB's with Tom Brady, winning 3 and losing twice. Hell Brady and Belichick may never win another SB together.

Its very difficult to win and win consistently in the NFL as a HC.....plain and simple.

Npba900
09-23-2012, 09:39 PM

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10
10-6

What this shows is the Texan's never had a top 5-Pro Bowl QB with talent to make it to the HOF. The Texans have had mediocre QB play over the last 6 years.

Texanmike02
09-23-2012, 10:46 PM
What this shows is the Texan's never had a top 5-Pro Bowl QB with talent to make it to the HOF. The Texans have had mediocre QB play over the last 6 years.

Actually, Schaub has always been a guy that you list right after you list the "Elite" QBs. What Kubiak's problem has been the defense. He went with friends of his as coordinators and it hurt him. He's a brilliant offensive mind but lacked even an average defense until last year.

Mike

Chef Zambini
09-24-2012, 03:05 AM
so gary and wade are not friends?

CoachChaz
09-24-2012, 11:39 AM
People think with their hearts instead of their heads too much. If Kubiak spent his entire career in Oakland, I can guarantee the sentiment here, as it pertains to his resume in Houston, would be much different.

weazel
09-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Gibbs and
Nolan were
Pushed
out
?

I was
under the
assumption
that they
were offered
jobs and
took them

weazel
09-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I am
going
to type
my posts
like chef
zambini for
now on
its a
cool way
to
type posts

Flaming Horsehead
09-24-2012, 11:47 AM

I nominate this for post of the year!

Ravage!!!
09-26-2012, 09:57 AM

Top 5??? you need a top 5 QB ???

silkamilkamonico
09-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Top 5??? you need a top 5 QB ???

Well, it is a Mike Shanahan based system.

Ravage!!!
09-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, it is a Mike Shanahan based system.

Yeah, because Plummer was top 5

silkamilkamonico
09-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah, because Plummer was top 5

Hardly. You obviously weren't paying attention during that time period. It's one Shanahan only had 1 playoff game, total, with Plummer.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Hardly. You obviously weren't paying attention during that time period. It's one Shanahan only had 1 playoff game win, total, with Plummer.

fify.

We made the playoffs several times, unfortunately we were one and done (usually vs the Colts) in those years.

Fullback32
09-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Why would we have kept Wade Phillips? He was one of the worst head coaches in franchise history. He's great as a dc, but he sucks as a head coach

No doubt. Just ask any Broncos (fail), Bills (fail), Cowboys (fail), Saints (interim fail), or Falcons (interim fail) fan. Winning percentage as a HC: .581. Buh.

The Glue Factory
09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Didn't Gibbs choose to leave? Don't remember but I thought he semi retired.

Nope. Gibbs had some health issues so he stepped down to part time for a couple years with the assurance (from Shanahan) that his full time job was secure. Enter Dennison who was O-Line position coach who stepped into the vacuum of Gibbs' part time schedule. Gibbs recovers from whatever physical issues and Shanahan shows him the door and Gibbs goes to Atlanta to instill the zone blocking scheme. Denver's run game suffers a slow decline. One of the worst moves Shanahan made and was one of the first things that helped me understand that he shouldn't be in Denver anymore; followed by a revolving door at DC that ended with attempting to retain Bob Slowick for a second year. Slowick's retention, I believe, is the reason Shanahan was shown the door, since the defense for the previous couple of years was just plain atrocious.

Simple Jaded
09-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Gibbs walked away and later wanted his job back when it became obvious that Shanatan moved on. I don't remember any assurance from Shanatan that Gibbs' job was safe. From what I remember Shanatan gave him a "consultant" job in the hopes that Gibbs would return and it wasn't until after an ultimatum when Shanatan finally came to the conclusion that it's time to move on with Dennison that Gibbs started feeling better.

No, no, I've been as big a critic of Shanatan as anybody, he wanted Gibbs back, this one was on Gibbs and his flaky commitment to the Denver Broncos. Gibbs was a flake, he wanted the same "consultant" role with the Falcons and Texans and quit on the Seahawks 8 days into the '10 season.......