PDA

View Full Version : Did Falcons get away with illegal play to extinguish rally by Broncos?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
While the NFL muzzles coaches and players from complaining about the joke of replacement officials, the truth must come out:

Atlanta cheated Monday to beat Denver in a prime example of how the sport's integrity and the league standings are being compromised by substandard officiating.

With the game's outcome in the balance, Atlanta gained a first down, squelched a furious rally by the Broncos and iced a 27-21 victory with a pass play where the Falcons were obviously guilty of offensive pass interference that went unpunished by inexperienced NFL refs. Commissioner Roger Goodell should cringe with embarrassment if he inspects the third-down play by Atlanta with 2 minutes, 35 seconds remaining and the Falcons on their own 25-yard line.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_21601368/did-falcons-get-away-illegal-play-extinguish-rally

Northman
09-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Meh, the article makes it sound like Denver or Denver fans are bitter. There was a lot we could of done not to put ourselves in a hole like we did. However, i do take issue with the idea that the NFL is trying to sweep the "bad calls" under the rug by saying that the same amount of calls are the same with or without the regular officials. The issue isnt how many calls are being made, its the type of calls and how correct they are.

DenBronx
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
We lost and that's all there is to it. We had plenty of chances to NOT turn the ball over and we did. That's the ball game and on to Houston.

The only way of making me feel better about the game in Atl is a win against the Texans.

camdisco24
09-21-2012, 03:48 PM
The best teams overcome adversity like this. We can't put ourselves in a position where bad calls by the refs can affect the final outcome.

I am tired of the replacement refs as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't argue that they totally cost us the game. 3 bad turnovers got the ball rolling on that, not the refs.

NightTrainLayne
09-21-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm not so sure that the regular refs would make that call at the end of the game like that. Regular refs most likely let that play go on as well.

chazoe60
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm not so sure that the regular refs would make that call at the end of the game like that. Regular refs most likely let that play go on as well.

I agree. That wasn't the blown call that upset me, the phantom PI and the guesswork fumble recovery call were the ones that really annoyed me. You know what though, we turned the ball over three times in the first quarter, the refs gave them the ball one more time just for fun, and we still only lost by six on the road against a team that many are saying is the second best team in the NFC. I feel pretty good about the Broncos right now.

Cugel
09-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Meh, the article makes it sound like Denver or Denver fans are bitter. There was a lot we could of done not to put ourselves in a hole like we did. However, i do take issue with the idea that the NFL is trying to sweep the "bad calls" under the rug by saying that the same amount of calls are the same with or without the regular officials. The issue isnt how many calls are being made, its the type of calls and how correct they are.

Yes. That IS the point. The scab refs are vastly MORE incompetent than the real refs.

The real refs sometimes blow a call, just like players sometimes drop a key pass or miss a block.

But, these scab refs can't do anything right! They are totally overwhelmed by the pace of the NFL.

Did you notice that the Monday Night game took about 1 hour for the first quarter? They had to huddle and get a ruling from the upstairs supervisory official on almost every call! And they were repeatedly overturned.

I have no idea what that idiot official was looking at when he called Demaryius Thomas' TD incomplete. He was staring right at Thomas' feet! Maybe he blinked at the wrong moment.

That's about all I can think of, because he was standing about 3 feet away from Thomas when he got both feet in and was looking right at it, yet blew the call! It was just blind luck that call had mandated booth review, because Denver was out of challenges.

Cugel
09-21-2012, 06:58 PM
I agree. That wasn't the blown call that upset me, the phantom PI and the guesswork fumble recovery call were the ones that really annoyed me. You know what though, we turned the ball over three times in the first quarter, the refs gave them the ball one more time just for fun, and we still only lost by six on the road against a team that many are saying is the second best team in the NFC. I feel pretty good about the Broncos right now.

I feel great about the Broncos. I feel infuriated about the referees though.

Yes, Denver put themselves in a hole with 3 turnovers in the first quarter. But, the referees made everything worse. If the refs call everything correctly (or at least arguably correctly) and the team loses, then you don't feel so bad.

They just lost in that case. It happens.

But, to be screwed out of a chance to win because the refs are too timid or intimidated to call offensive pass interference when it's blatant? That's just inexcusable.

Cugel
09-21-2012, 07:03 PM
The best teams overcome adversity like this. We can't put ourselves in a position where bad calls by the refs can affect the final outcome.

I am tired of the replacement refs as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't argue that they totally cost us the game. 3 bad turnovers got the ball rolling on that, not the refs.

I would argue that their blown calls cost us a chance to WIN the game, but they didn't cause us to lose it.

There were no blown calls on Manning's 3 INTs.

There was a blown call when Orlando Franklin recovered Knowshon's fumble that cost Denver 3 points.

That FG (six points difference) was the difference between being tied at the end of regulation or losing by six.

There were plenty of other blown calls like the phantom call on Tony Carter.

The bigger point is that this is a LEAGUE WIDE phenomena. These scab refs are calling 1/3 more calls against visiting teams so far this season. Vegas has noticed it and figured it into their betting line favoring the home teams.

chaoticmayhem
09-21-2012, 07:49 PM
The Broncos would have won despite the horrible officiating if they hadn't turned the ball over 4 times. The Broncos gave the game away and deserved to lose. Next game.

gregbroncs
09-21-2012, 08:22 PM
I heard a stat on around the horn today. An unprecedented # of home teams won in week 2 this year. That is a bit telling. The replacement officials are being influenced by the crowd and overwhelmed by the situation. Right now the NFL is a joke. They must get this shit with the refs figured out.

Nomad
09-21-2012, 08:26 PM
I heard a stat on around the horn today. An unprecedented # of home teams won in week 2 this year. That is a bit telling. The replacement officials are being influenced by the crowd and overwhelmed by the situation. Right now the NFL is a joke. They must get this shit with the refs figured out.

BRONCOS are at home this week so...........go refs!:lol:

I heard the same thing how they are intimidated by the home crowd, coaches and players.

topscribe
09-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Dave Logan spotted the pick and commented on it as the play was happening.
There is no question about it. With the blown fumble call, the phantom PI, the
bogus holding against Champ, and the illegal pick, the refs cost the Broncos
the game. I believe that. Before the scabs took over, I agreed that officiating
did not decide games. I have now changed my mind . . .

chazoe60
09-21-2012, 08:35 PM
The TD to Tamme two weeks ago was a pick. Decker also threw a blatant pick against the steelers that helped us get a 1st down against the Stealers. We're taking advantage of these refs also.

Nomad
09-21-2012, 08:37 PM
The TD to Tamme two weeks ago was a pick. Decker also threw a blatant pick against the steelers that helped us get a 1st down against the Stealers. We're taking advantage of these refs also.

Shhhh....it's the refs against the BRONCOS. They don't get away with missed calls

Dzone
09-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Now that players are figuring out that they can get away with murder, this Sunday might be the dirtiest day in league history.

Chef Zambini
09-21-2012, 11:07 PM
blown calls are one thing...
not knowing the rules is inexcusable !
POSESSION is the primary foundation of officiating. the neglegence exhibited in that fumble recovery, also inexcusable !

Chef Zambini
09-21-2012, 11:14 PM
legal hits are being flagged ! refs are throwing flags based on fan reaction! I saw WO hits shoulder to mid-section draw flags, purely on the ferocity of the impact and the reaction of the fans! holding is being ignored! offensive picks are rampant and ignored.
roger and Co. have alot of nerve talking about "integrity" !

bcbronc
09-22-2012, 03:01 AM
The Broncos would have won despite the horrible officiating if they hadn't turned the ball over 4 times. The Broncos gave the game away and deserved to lose. Next game.

Or if our defense had capitalized on some of Ryan's mistakes. He gave the defense chances to close the turnover differential, but we didn't take advantage. The refs did make things easier on ATL, but end of the day we made too many mistakes and missed too many opportunities to make a big play to beat a quality opponent on the road.

We're on to Houston now.

Npba900
09-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Its not going to get figured out until the owners collectively and fairly bargain with the NFL Refs. The division II and III level replacement referees we see on the field today will be the norm. I will not be shocked should the replacement refs officiate the playoffs and super bowl as well.

Chef Zambini
09-22-2012, 12:39 PM
my final commenton the subject:
players and coaches do NOT repect the current officials, why should they, respect has NOT been earned.
Fights will break out in numerous games this week, because these refs are not IN CONTROL.
the league office is going to have a huge issue and will hold zero cards in negotiations with the locked out refs come tuesday morning.

Army Bronco
09-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Thats interesting. I didnt know that. So hopefully Mile High becomes an advantage again like the old days.

Chef Zambini
09-22-2012, 01:06 PM
the ref lock out was ill conceived . they had a superficial/ foolish foundation of thinking it would go the way of the player lock-outs !
they couls always wash their hands of the poor quality of the REPLACEMENT PLAYERS, saying, not our fault, best talent available.
but they have to OWN THESE REFS !
thier INCOMPTENCE is the responsability of the NFL!
instead...
THEY SHOULD HAVE TRANSITIONED INTO A SCHOOL THAT TRAINS AND PROMOTESD THEIR OWN FULL TIME REF CANDIDATES, instead of trying to change the staus quo in a single season.
they had no gameplan in place for replacements, and had to take what they could get with all the other worthwhiule substitutes already under contract with other football entities !
this manuever was JMCD stoopid !