PDA

View Full Version : On to Week 3: Houston Texans

cmc0605
09-18-2012, 09:45 PM
So after a terrible performance by our offense until quarter 4, and one of the worse officiated games I've ever seen, let's hope for better this week! This is going to be a terrific game.

Obviously, we can't turn the ball over 4 times. Houston has a very good defense (perhaps one not respected enough).

I think we are very similar to them in many regards. Watt, Cushing, Johnathan Joseph, Manning, Kareem Jackson, etc are all good football players. Both of our defenses can roll with anyone. Both of our offenses can put up points. We've been very solid against the run so far, but Arian Foster is maybe the best back in the league, and can also catch out of the backfield. He won't be stopped but we must limit his performance. Andre Johnson is a top 3 WR but I trust Champ to limit his effectiveness. I suspect Schuab will hit short to intermediate throws across the middle to TEs and WR2, WR3 players with moderate success.

Nomad
09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Manning knows how to torch the Texans. We get the game up here so I'll get to see.

I read where Rod Smith get his jersey into the ROF at Mile High, so hopefully this gives more motivation to win for one of the best BRONCOS.

OrangeHoof
09-18-2012, 09:54 PM
The Broncos have been burned by tight ends each of the past three games. Expect Owen Daniels to have a big day. The Texans now feature a 1-2 punch of Foster (who specializes in cut-backs) and Ben Tate who specializes in speed, power and a little wiggle. Different styles but both effective. If the defense doesn't pay attention to which one is in the backfield, they aren't going to stop either runner well. The Texans run better to the left than they do the right but they may key on Doom and run to his side.

Denver is going to need a big game from their TEs and Stokely. Expect Joel Dreesen to see the ball more often since he practiced against these same guys all last year. McGahee will have to get his yards and watch out for J.J. Watt who is looking like an All-Pro in the first two games. Trying to stop Watt, Antonio Smith, Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed is going to be a real problem but it ought to open some holes in the running game.

Mr.Scarface
09-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Manning knows how to torch the Texans. We get the game up here so I'll get to see.

I read where Rod Smith get his jersey into the ROF at Mile High, so hopefully this gives more motivation to win for one of the best BRONCOS.

Peyton Manning has never faced a Wade Phillips-led Texans defense. This is not the same Texans team Manning played 2 years ago.....the one that actually injured his neck in the first game of 2010 (a game the Texans' won).

Jsteve01
09-19-2012, 08:27 AM
This Texans team to me is the team to beat in the AFC. I'm not just saying that because they've looked good against two crappy teams. Wade's defense is very scary combined with this offense and ability to run the ball with two very good backs.

TackHammer
09-19-2012, 08:40 AM
This Texans team to me is the team to beat in the AFC. I'm not just saying that because they've looked good against two crappy teams. Wade's defense is very scary combined with this offense and ability to run the ball with two very good backs.

Texans "should" win this game. But if there's one thing I've learned over the years it's to never underestimate OL Jughead.

Jsteve01
09-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Texans "should" win this game. But if there's one thing I've learned over the years it's to never underestimate OL Jughead.

I'm not at all saying the texans win...I am saying they are the best team we've played to this point.

TackHammer
09-19-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm not at all saying the texans win...I am saying they are the best team we've played to this point.

I am......

Texanmike02
09-19-2012, 10:39 AM

If you look at Wade Phillips vs Manning (I'm going to discount the Wade v. Manning when Wade was in ATL because that defense didn't really belong in the NFL, other than Brooking they had zero talent on that team) Wade has done very well against Manning. Small sample size and all but between Wade's time in SD and DAL manning is 89/137 1084 yards 5 TD 7 INT. 64% completion ratio (which is rather pedestrian for Manning). The passer rating is 80.0. I will say this. If Manning's passer rating isn't over 90 then Denver loses this game. Manning is going to have to be efficient.

Mike

slim
09-21-2012, 12:31 PM

It will be a tough one, Steve.

We are going to need Schaub to throw a few to the good guys.

BroncoNut
09-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I just hope that when it's all said and done, we win

slim
09-21-2012, 12:36 PM
I just hope that when it's all said and done, we win

Good point, Nut. A win would be preferable.

BroncoNut
09-21-2012, 12:38 PM

if true, yikes

CoachChaz
09-21-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm saying Houston -24...Denver - 21.

But not because I think Houston is a great team, just the better team. I dont think either team is as good as they are given credit for. Neither will be in the Super Bowl

slim
09-21-2012, 03:41 PM
All week on the radio, I keep hearing that the Broncos should be worried because "Houston won a playoff game with a 3rd string QB last year"....like that somehow proves they are a juggernaut.

Hey, guess what....we won a playoff game with, effectively, a 4th string QB that couldn't even throw the ball.

Now I ask you, which of those is the more impressive achievement?

Ravage!!!
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't t hink the Broncos have been "burned" by the TEs. When you face teams that have good TEs, and a QB that is one of the top in their business..they will hit the TE for plays. We can't stop everyone, on every play. Thos teams get paid too.

This is one of the toughest teams in the AFC. Its been a tough 3 weeks, and this is the hardest of them all. I don't think we walk away with a victory on this one because I just think the Texans are a more talented team. However, that being said, I think that having Manning keeps us in the game. We show that although we aren't ready for the SB, we certainly are one of the tougher teams in this conference by keeping up with a good team from Texas.

BroncoNut
09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
why is everyone saying the 1st 3 weeks. We are going into game 3 with the Texans arent' we? our record is 1-1 right?

anyway, I think we win this game just because i believe.

slim
09-21-2012, 03:57 PM
why is everyone saying the 1st 3 weeks. We are going into game 3 with the Texans arent' we? our record is 1-1 right?

anyway, I think we win this game just because i believe.

I don't know, Nut. It is confusing and, frankly, I am tired of it.

Hawgdriver
09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
If Denver can come away with a "W", it would go a long way toward maintaining and bolstering this team's confidence. It would be great, even unexpected, for that winning chemistry to develop in the positive direction this early.

I haven't seen the line, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hou was favored by 3-4 with Manning at home.

slim
09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
If Denver can come away with a "W", it would go a long way toward maintaining and bolstering this team's confidence. It would be great, even unexpected, for that winning chemistry to develop in the positive direction this early.

I haven't seen the line, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hou was favored by 3-4 with Manning at home.

The line has kind of been all over the place. Some places have Denver favored by a few points (no more than 3, at least early in the week), some had Houston favored by a few (no more than 3).

Hawgdriver
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Hmm, Hou by 1.5.

I also like the fact that this is the first Kubiak / Elway match, if indeed it is.

slim
09-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Hmm, Hou by 1.5.

From which source?

MOtorboat
09-21-2012, 04:14 PM
From which source?

The ESPN article Carol posted, opened as a pick'em, according to that.

Sheridans has Texans by 2.

Covers.com has Texans by 1.

Nomad
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Manning is 8-7 after multi-int games (heard it on ESPN last night). I have confidence that Manning will figure out a way to win.

slim
09-21-2012, 04:30 PM
The ESPN article Carol posted, opened as a pick'em, according to that.

Sheridans has Texans by 2.

Covers.com has Texans by 1.

Clough was saying earlier this week that the line was all over the place.

You are a big time gambler, isn't it kind of unusual to have a great deal of variance from one place to the next?

Nomad
09-21-2012, 04:48 PM

You are a big time gambler, isn't it kind of unusual to have a great deal of variance from one place to the next?

I picture MO, like in Smokey and the Bandit, when Little Enos whips out all the cash.:D

MOtorboat
09-21-2012, 04:48 PM

I watch the lines a little, because I think of anyone, the odds makers have a better idea of who's the better team than most people, but I don't gamble.

slim
09-21-2012, 04:50 PM
I watch the lines a little, because I think of anyone, the odds makers have a better idea of who's the better team than most people, but I don't gamble.

I don't really gamble either.

We need to get in touch with HOGA to figure this thing out.

chazoe60
09-21-2012, 04:51 PM

You gamble every time you cross the street MO. Life is a gamble

MOtorboat
09-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't really gamble either.

We need to get in touch with HOGA to figure this thing out.

Where's Buff when you need him?

slim
09-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Where's Buff when you need him?

Somewhere being smug with a vodka cran in his hand and not getting any.

MOtorboat
09-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Somewhere being smug with a vodka cran in his hand and not getting any.

He's a peon in the corporate world. He's stewing in his cubicle getting his 15 minutes of real, actual work done before the weekend, hoping his boss doesn't see him before he leaves for the weekend 20 minutes early.

Nomad
09-21-2012, 05:08 PM
He's a peon in the corporate world. He's stewing in his cubicle getting his 15 minutes of real, actual work done before the weekend, hoping his boss doesn't see him before he leaves for the weekend 20 minutes early.

Working out of a cubicle doesn't sound very enjoyable.....I'd drink vodka too. It's easier to hide the smell of alcohol and misery.:D

vettesplus
09-22-2012, 08:08 PM
i hate to be negitve but i believe the texans will win by at least 10.....