PDA

View Full Version : Manning: Decisions, not health, were the problem

Denver Native (Carol)
09-18-2012, 05:46 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Even while he was trying to tamp down expectations, Peyton Manning couldn't have envisioned this scene playing out.

Three times, the Broncos quarterback dropped back to pass. Three times, he threw into a seam near the numbers down the right side of the field.

Three times, a defensive back followed Manning's eyes, cut over and turned whatever small opening the quarterback had seen into an interception.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/manning-decisions-not-health-were-214524587--nfl.html

SoCalImport
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't buy if for a second. Don't get me wrong. There was bad decision making by 18..over and over in the first quarter. The bad decision was thinking he was healthy enough to make those throws at all.

Davii
09-18-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't buy if for a second. Don't get me wrong. There was bad decision making by 18..over and over in the first quarter. The bad decision was thinking he was healthy enough to make those throws at all.

I didn't see any such thing. It was a bad read, both pre and post snap, and an ill advised throw. I guess on one of those passes had he rifled it in there he MIGHT have gotten away with it, but clearly on the other two arm strength had zero to do with it.

What irks me, the article attributes the fumble to McGahee, it was Moreno. McGahee doesn't deserve that screwup.

topscribe
09-18-2012, 06:34 PM
The Broncos lose, the sky's falling down. Seems to happen every time the
Broncos lose. It goes all the way back to the loss to Miami in the first game of
2005. Remember the panic attacks? So what happened the rest of that season?

Hey guys, this is the NFL. The Broncos are going to to lose. The QB is going to
throw interceptions. It's called football.

Everybody in the media and on boards are talking about the three interceptions,
the four turnovers. What about the rest of the game when the Broncos
thoroughly outplayed the Falcons, and Willis trucked them every time he
touched the ball, the defense stuffed the run, and Peyton picked them apart?

You know what this game showed to me? The Broncos are a better team than
the Falcons. Just like the Broncos showed last week they are better than the
Steelers. So am I out of line here? Tell me.

Nomad
09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Listening to Steve Young last night, he said the throws were on Manning but also the offense isn't up to speed with Manning. All the needless penalties and such,but he expects this team to be rockon as the season goes on.......too bad the BRONCOS have such a tough schedule at the beginning to go through the growing pains.

Yeah, to hear the score 27-21 after the miserable first half, I would say the Falcons are glad the BRONCOS didn't come out firing on all cylinders.

topscribe
09-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Listening to Steve Young last night, he said the throws were on Manning but also the offense isn't up to speed with Manning. All the needless penalties and such,but he expects this team to be rockon as the season goes on.......too bad the BRONCOS have such a tough schedule at the beginning to go through the growing pains.

Yeah, to hear the score 27-21 after the miserable first half, I would say the Falcons are glad the BRONCOS didn't come out firing on all cylinders.
Or that the game didn't last one more quarter . . .

BORDERLINE
09-18-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm with ya top, we got to put this game behind us and keep chugging a bad game overall just learn from it and move on

Nomad
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm with ya top, we got to put this game behind us and keep chugging a bad game overall just learn from it and move on

Agreed!

Looking forward to the Houston game, which we get up here:woot:.

bcbronc
09-19-2012, 12:23 AM
The best thing about those interceptions, they were bad reads and bad decisions by Manning, and I can say that without it turning into a pissing match between the haters and fellaters. It hasn't been that way in Bronco's nation since like 6 starting QBs ago.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 11:32 AM
The best thing about those interceptions, they were bad reads and bad decisions by Manning, and I can say that without it turning into a pissing match between the haters and fellaters. It hasn't been that way in Bronco's nation since like 6 starting QBs ago.
Actually, that was Kyle Orton's problem, but more often than just one quarter.
He was one of the best passers in the NFL. What went wanting was often his
decision-making. Thankfully, that's not the norm for Peyton.

vandammage13
09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
The Broncos lose, the sky's falling down. Seems to happen every time the
Broncos lose. It goes all the way back to the loss to Miami in the first game of
2005. Remember the panic attacks? So what happened the rest of that season?

Hey guys, this is the NFL. The Broncos are going to to lose. The QB is going to
throw interceptions. It's called football.

Everybody in the media and on boards are talking about the three interceptions,
the four turnovers. What about the rest of the game when the Broncos
thoroughly outplayed the Falcons, and Willis trucked them every time he
touched the ball, the defense stuffed the run, and Peyton picked them apart?

You know what this game showed to me? The Broncos are a better team than
the Falcons. Just like the Broncos showed last week they are better than the
Steelers. So am I out of line here? Tell me.

Agree with everything you said except the part about us being better than ATL...we are not...

topscribe
09-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Agree with everything you said except the part about us being better than ATL...we are not...
I base that on the fact that the Broncos thoroughly outplayed the Falcons
during the last three quarters. They outscored the Falcons 21-7 during that
stretch. Were it not for the first quarter, the Broncos would have won handily,
in their house.

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 11:49 AM

I disagree. I didn't see a pass that "couldn't make it there"... he was throwing balls into windows that closed up BECAUSE he didn't make the right read. I"m giving Atlanta credit here, they did a great job in disguising their coverage and moving players from areas of the field into zones that wasn't foreseen. Moving a corner from across the field into the middle...post snap, was well hidden. I didn't see an INT that was due to lack of strength.

Thats how I saw it anyway.

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 11:52 AM

This.. yes.... GREAT point. I love Manning, but can say it was a BAD read....period. Bad read, bad decision to throw the ball. Had this been other QBs in the past, someone would be crying for heads to roll if our QB threw 3 INTs in a game. We know this was a very rare thing, and just let it roll off the back.

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
in their house.

I agree. If the Falcons are a better team, they certainly did NOT show it against us. We out played them except for the 1st quarter. Yes, that quarter cost us the game, but it very well couldhave been 35-0 at half. I believe Denver, absolutely, was the best team on that field Monday Night.

vandammage13
09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
in their house.

That's your opinion, but had the Falcons not gone up 20-0 (or whatever the lead was) they may have played the game a little differently...Strategies change based on the score...

When the game was close, the Falcons were better (i.e. opening up a huge lead after it was 0-0, and closing out the game after the Broncos pulled within 1 score).

We were only competitive when the Falcons had a substantial lead...

The Falcons were very conservative on offense the entire night due to the unexpected quick lead.

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Really Top??? You had to go there with Orton on this? really?

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
That's your opinion, but had the Falcons not gone up 20-0 (or whatever the lead was) they may have played the game a little differently...Strategies change based on the score...

When the game was close, the Falcons were better (i.e. opening up a huge lead after it was 0-0, and closing out the game after the Broncos pulled within 1 score).

We were only competitive when the Falcons had a substantial lead...

What????

So when the game at half time was 20-7, you think the Falcons felt they had the game "in hand".. and just let up? So you think, that even when the broncos scored again, that the Falcons were thinking "no problem, we just won't need to try"...ok. So you think, when it was the possession before our last, that the Falcons were OK with punting us the ball when they couldn't get the first down??? Ok. :lol:

topscribe
09-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Really Top??? You had to go there with Orton on this? really?
Why is it I have to get a reaction every time I say something factually about Orton?
Would you have reacted about Plummer? Griese? Morton? Charley Johnson?

In a word, yes, I did go there with Orton. Just made an observation, is all. Last I
heard, he is a quarterback.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
What????

So when the game at half time was 20-7, you think the Falcons felt they had the game "in hand".. and just let up? So you think, that even when the broncos scored again, that the Falcons were thinking "no problem, we just won't need to try"...ok. So you think, when it was the possession before our last, that the Falcons were OK with punting us the ball when they couldn't get the first down??? Ok. :lol:
Yep, they were thinking they had it made since Tebow probably couldn't come
back from 20 points down.

Oh wait . . .

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Why is it I have to get a reaction every time I say something factually about Orton?

He was one of the best passers in the NFL.

You are right. I shouldn't have reacted to your OPINION of Kyle Orton. But don't state they are "facts" when you are CLEARLY.. CLEARLY... stating NOTHING MORE than pure opinion. Opinion, that is only shared by you and Orton's family members.

But I digress. This isn't about Orton... nor that lousy comparisons... at all.

vandammage13
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
What????

No..they didn't have the game in hand..

But by nature, teams tend to employ a more conservative offensive strategy when they hold a 2 score lead...Sometimes it backfires, but most of the time it limits turnovers/big plays that help the losing team get points on the board quickly...They are playing to the clock.

I'm sure you have seen teams do this before...:coffee:

If the Falcons were down, say 14-10 at the half, you would have seen an entirely different offensive approach.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
You are right. I shouldn't have reacted to your OPINION of Kyle Orton. But don't state they are "facts" when you are CLEARLY.. CLEARLY... stating NOTHING MORE than pure opinion. Opinion, that is only shared by you and Orton's family members.

But I digress. This isn't about Orton... nor that lousy comparisons... at all.
My opinion is shared by John Elway, who said the same thing.

That is all.

catfish
09-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Peyton has been struggling with passes over 20 yards in the air, they may want to keep him carving up teams on short or intermediate passes. Not saying the picks were health related, but relatively very little good has come from Denver trying to throw deep this year

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 12:09 PM

That is all.

Hah.. sure it is :lol: :lol: :lol: You stick with that top. :lol:

topscribe
09-19-2012, 12:14 PM

But by nature, teams tend to employ a more conservative offensive strategy when they hold a 2 score lead...Sometimes it backfires, but most of the time it limits turnovers/big plays that help the losing team get points on the board quickly...They are playing to the clock.

If the Falcons were down, say 14-10 at the half, you would have seen an entirely different offensive approach.
This isn't just an opinion by Rav and me. Analysts said that Denver whipped
the Falcons in the trenches on both sides of the line throughout the game.
Moreover, Champ and Porter were frustrating the Falcons' vaunted receivers.
Only Gonzalez was having any measure of success, and he wasn't spectacular.
And the running game? Turner was getting stuffed while McGahee looked like
a runaway military tank out there.

Try to come up with all the underlying reasons you want. But the Broncos
were trucking the Falcons. Period.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Hah.. sure it is :lol: :lol: :lol: You stick with that top. :lol:
So now you think I'm lying about it?

Go ahead, laugh at me. I've had you on Ignore before . . .

topscribe
09-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Peyton has been struggling with passes over 20 yards in the air, they may want to keep him carving up teams on short or intermediate passes. Not saying the picks were health related, but relatively very little good has come from Denver trying to throw deep this year
Guess you didn't see the last three quarters? He had plenty on the would-be
TD pass to Thomas, which was deflected, and the one to Decker, which he
dropped. And he threw deep outs on a rope against Pittsburgh. It's just that
the receivers couldn't get open down the middle for some reason, and Peyton
tried to fit it into too small of a window. I don't believe you'll see that again.

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 12:19 PM
the Falcons in the trenches on both sides of the line throughout the game.
Moreover, Champ and Porter were frustrating the Falcons' vaunted receivers.

White had a drive that was pretty good, and of course Julio had his catches. But I was INCREDIBLY pleased with how well our DBs held their passing attack in check. Very few teams have a combo like that in the NFL.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 12:22 PM
White had a drive that was pretty good, and of course Julio had his catches. But I was INCREDIBLY pleased with how well our DBs held their passing attack in check. Very few teams have a combo like that in the NFL.
I don't believe anybody is going to hold White and Jones down completely. But
if you can make that look "pretty good," then I think you have done a good job.

catfish
09-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Guess you didn't see the last three quarters? He had plenty on the would-be
TD pass to Thomas, which was deflected, and the one to Decker, which he
dropped. And he threw deep outs on a rope against Pittsburgh. It's just that
the receivers couldn't get open down the middle for some reason, and Peyton
tried to fit it into too small of a window. I don't believe you'll see that again.

on throws over 20 yds he is 1-6 with a TD, 1 drop and 3 picks. He is much better on short to intermediate routes. I stand by my statement

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
So now you think I'm lying about it?

Go ahead, laugh at me. I've had you on Ignore before . . .

See, top, always over reacting. ALwys getting your undies in a bunch. You REALLY think Elways believes that Orton was a top passer in the NFL...REALLY??? No, you don't. You'll find some quote where Elway complimented Orton in some way, and then you try to hang your hat on it. I don't know why you have decided to be the crusader for Orton, and honestly, I don't care. Just as I don't care why rc and btb want to defend that lame McDaniels. But hey, thats your choice. But if you are going to proclaim yourself the lone-defender of the lame Orton, then really need to grow some thicker skin because your whining gets old.

Just so you know, I don't care if you have me on ignore. I mean, thats your choice and its certainly your prerogative, but its honestly not going to effect me one tiny iota.

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 12:27 PM
on throws over 20 yds he is 1-6 with a TD, 1 drop and 3 picks. He is much better on short to intermediate routes. I stand by my statement

How many QBs are better at 20+ yard throws than not?

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't believe anybody is going to hold White and Jones down completely. But
if you can make that look "pretty good," then I think you have done a good job.

Exactly.

catfish
09-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Compare it to the average, from 0-20 yds he is head and shoulders above others, from 20 yds out he is down with the scrubs. I dont expect him to be better throwing it 20+ yds than he does 5 yds, but when you are one of the best 3 in the league throwing it 10 yards, and in the bottom 5 throwing it 20+ I would be throwing it 10 yards except in emergencies

topscribe
09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
See, top, always over reacting. ALwys getting your undies in a bunch. You REALLY think Elways believes that Orton was a top passer in the NFL...REALLY??? No, you don't. You'll find some quote where Elway complimented Orton in some way, and then you try to hang your hat on it. I don't know why you have decided to be the crusader for Orton, and honestly, I don't care. Just as I don't care why rc and btb want to defend that lame McDaniels. But hey, thats your choice. But if you are going to proclaim yourself the lone-defender of the lame Orton, then really need to grow some thicker skin because your whining gets old.

Just so you know, I don't care if you have me on ignore. I mean, thats your choice and its certainly your prerogative, but its honestly not going to effect me one tiny iota.
Rav, this is the last post I'm making on this. But Orton played only one stretch
of games for the Broncos when he was healthy. That was the first 11 games of
2010. During that time, he averaged 306 yards a game, had the second highest
YPA in the league (Rivers was #1), completed 62% of his passes, had 20 TDs vs.
6 INTs, and was maintaining a 96.0 passer rating. It was during that time Elway
made the observation that Orton "passes the ball as well as anybody in the
league." (Notice the quotation marks there.)

As I said, his problem was decision-making. That was his downfall. (Does that
sound as if I'm defending him?) But his pure ability to throw the ball was never
in question with people who know football.

P.S. I don't care if you don't care. Just don't laugh at me. Have more respect
than that. You haven't seen me laughing at you, even though you have had
me privately rolling my eyes occasionally.

silkamilkamonico
09-19-2012, 12:51 PM
You guys are arguing against statistical date betwen Kyle "backup" Orton, and Peyton "HoF/GOAT" Manning.

Please take a moment to actually think about that.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 12:54 PM
You guys are arguing against statistical date betwen Kyle "backup" Orton, and Peyton "HoF/GOAT" Manning.

Please take a moment to actually think about that.
That wasn't happening. Take a moment to read with some comprehension.
Try real hard. I think you can do it if you try real hard.

silkamilkamonico
09-19-2012, 01:09 PM
That wasn't happening. Take a moment to read with some comprehension.
Try real hard. I think you can do it if you try real hard.

I apologize. I stopped after this comment.

I thought for a clear, conscious moment, that you stated Kyle was "one of the best passers in the NFL", which is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have heard about anyone describing Backup Orton.

Carry on.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I thought for a clear, conscious moment, that you stated Kyle was "one of the best passers in the NFL", which is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have heard about anyone describing Backup Orton.

Carry on.
Guess you missed the part about Elway's saying that. So I guess I should go
ahead and dismiss what he said since you know much better than he does. I'll
monitor you from now on for more dumb statements from Elway . . .

Davii
09-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Gents, this thread is about Peyton Manning and resides in Broncos Talk. It is not about former Broncos QBs' or QBs that might play in NY or Dallas. There is nothing wrong with a passing comment/reference or what have you, but it is not acceptable when the off topic posts become the main topic.

Get it back on track please.

silkamilkamonico
09-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Guess you missed the part about Elway's saying that. So I guess I should go
ahead and dismiss what he said since you know much better than he does. I'll
monitor you from now on for more dumb statements from Elway . . .

Yea. Elway also thinks Moreno should be our backup QB. Consdering you obviously take Elway's word like Gospel, I'll go ahead and say that too.

Care to link the quote where Elway says that? And how about the entire article instead of cherry picking.

silkamilkamonico
09-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Gents, this thread is about Peyton Manning and resides in Broncos Talk. It is not about former Broncos QBs' or QBs that might play in NY or Dallas. There is nothing wrong with a passing comment/reference or what have you, but it is not acceptable when the off topic posts become the main topic.

Thank you.

vandammage13
09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
the Falcons in the trenches on both sides of the line throughout the game.Moreover, Champ and Porter were frustrating the Falcons' vaunted receivers.

We had a chance to impose our will during the final drive "in the trenches" (where we were supposedly whooping them)...and we did not.

I'll stick to my original assessment...When the game was close, the Falcons dominated us.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 03:42 PM
We had a chance to impose our will during the final drive "in the trenches" (where we were supposedly whooping them)...and we did not.

I'll stick to my original assessment...When the game was close, the Falcons dominated us.
So you're going to base the entire competition on one 15-yard run? Okay. :rolleyes:

vandammage13
09-19-2012, 03:54 PM
So you're going to base the entire competition on one 15-yard run? Okay. :rolleyes:

No, I'm more inclined to want to base it on the score, but that doesn't seem to matter to you.

Slick
09-19-2012, 04:06 PM
After a couple days of digesting the loss I still believe we beat ourselves more than Atlanta beat us.

As far as the 3 ints, they werent thrown with much zip on them which i think is a combination of Peyton not being able to set his feet and throw due to pressure up the middle, and the fact that Peyton is still not at 100%.

topscribe
09-19-2012, 04:10 PM
No, I'm more inclined to want to base it on the score, but that doesn't seem to matter to you.
Well yes, the score is one reason I am more impressed than ever. Four turnovers,
and the Broncos had a chance to win it in the end? Are you kidding me?

vandammage13
09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Well yes, the score is one reason I am more impressed than ever. Four turnovers,
and the Broncos had a chance to win it in the end? Are you kidding me?

That's the way you see it..and I can respect that thought process...

But the way I see it is that the Falcons changed the way they wanted to play after storming out to a 20 point lead (for reasons I stated earlier in the thread, which I don't feel like rehashing).

Simple Jaded
09-19-2012, 04:37 PM

One.......

Ravage!!!
09-19-2012, 05:09 PM
One.......

I guess when I see that QB throw as many 20+ yard passes as he would passes under 20 yards, then we could compare % :lol:

KOBE_LA_MEXICAN
09-19-2012, 07:02 PM
man i thought peyton was still gonna be good WTF?!

capt. Jack
09-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Peyton will have a good season. And we will win some games that's for sure! :)

Gyro
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
This game made me feel pretty damn good about this team to be honest. They overcame an absolutely dreadful first quarter and almost won the game at the end (if the defense wasn't confused on that third down and Manning gets the ball back, we win IMO). That being said, the defense looks improved (from the first two games) and Manning just needs to temper down the no-huddle and attempting to push defenses if the offense isn't ready or in sync (that includes himself).

Houston should be a great test, and the run defense has looked pretty stellar so far so the match up isn't an awful one for the Broncos. Keys are to utilize McGahee often, take their time on offense with the no-huddle far from being mastered by Manning's boys, and for the D to continue playing well against the run. If those come together, and if the Broncos can avoid mistakes against a tough Houston D, they have a great chance.

All things considered, the Monday nighter only served to dampen my spirits for football in general (the replacement refs have caused the quality of football to take a serious drop, and its hurt my enjoyment of one of my favorite games) and not so much for the chances I believe Denver has of contending.

I Eat Staples
09-19-2012, 11:53 PM

Did you watch the game? The throws Manning zipped to DT toward the sideline had as much velocity as any throw Peyton made throughout his career.

capt. Jack
09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
I thought he got his act together pretty well in the 2nd half! He is still PEYTON MANNING, a great QB, and he is on our team!!!!! :)

TXBRONC
09-20-2012, 09:39 AM

That is all.

I can't recall Elway calling ever calling Orton one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. If he and Fox thought that about Orton he wouldn't have gotten booted to curb.

Ravage!!!
09-20-2012, 09:45 AM
I can't recall Elway calling ever calling Orton one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. If he and Fox thought that about Orton he wouldn't have gotten booted to curb.

I'm sure its in a quote somewhere, where John was just giving Orton a nice compliment to the media when they were bringing them into practice after the lock-out last year.... or somewhere around that time. Probably talking about the "QB competion" between Orton and Tebow. As if Elway is going to give his REAL thoughts on Orton when Orton was going to be his starting QB. Was just GM talk regarding his starting QB, i'm sure. But, when you are the "guardian angel" of Orton, you have to grab ANY compliment that is out there, because there aren't many.

"Yeah, Orton sucks as a QB, but, he's the only passer we have on the team. So we don't have much of a choice." Probably not what you are going to hear from Elway.

Davii
09-20-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm sure its in a quote somewhere, where John was just giving Orton a nice compliment to the media when they were bringing them into practice after the lock-out last year.... or somewhere around that time. Probably talking about the "QB competion" between Orton and Tebow. As if Elway is going to give his REAL thoughts on Orton when Orton was going to be his starting QB. Was just GM talk regarding his starting QB, i'm sure. But, when you are the "guardian angel" of Orton, you have to grab ANY compliment that is out there, because there aren't many.

"Yeah, Orton sucks as a QB, but, he's the only passer we have on the team. So we don't have much of a choice." Probably not what you are going to hear from Elway.

I personally thought the actions of trying to trade him before they ever had him in camp spoke volumes. And no, not about Tebow.

TXBRONC
09-20-2012, 09:56 AM

You have no idea what you're talking about if think that with a 3/4 of football to play and only being up by two score that they backed off. If you're up by that much going into the 4th quarter teams many times try to milk the clock but not with 3/4 of game to play. That's just common sense.

TXBRONC
09-20-2012, 10:04 AM

He paid him a compliment about the year he was having in 2010 until ended up on the side lines with a "rib" injury but IIRC in the same interview John also said it's not just about stats it's about wins. Elway NEVER said Kyle was one the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

TXBRONC
09-20-2012, 10:07 AM
I personally thought the actions of trying to trade him before they ever had him in camp spoke volumes. And no, not about Tebow.

If Kyle Orton was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL he has hell of way showing it being on three teams in less than a year doesn't seem like the marking of being one of the best.

capt. Jack
09-20-2012, 11:35 AM
I once called Orton a "journeyman" QB" , when he was starting, and I got a lot of flack for it.

Dzone
09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
I once called Orton a "journeyman" QB" , when he was starting, and I got a lot of flack for it.
Orton has 5 teams to go to tie this guy, I think he will do it-

Chris Chandler played in the NFL for 17 years, he retired in 2005. He was with a record 8 teams in the NFL
1988-1989 Indianapolis Colts
1990-1991 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1991-1993 Phoenix Cardinals
1994 Los Angeles Rams
1995-1996 Houston Oilers
1997-2001 Atlanta Falcons
2002-2003 Chicago Bears
2004 St. Louis Rams

capt. Jack
09-20-2012, 12:33 PM
He was definitely a "journeyman"! I still love that play when Romo planted him in the Superbowl! :)

topscribe
09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Neither can I recall Elway ever calling Orton one of the best QBs in the NFL.
Moreover, I cannot recall when I ever said that.

What I said was that Elway mentioned Orton passed the ball "as well as anyone
in the league." In fact, Orton was doing just that during the time Elway said it,
as evidenced by Orton's averaging 306 yards/game, with the second highest
YPA in the league, a 62% comp, 20 TDs vs. 6 INTs, and a 96.0 QBR, during the
11 (only) games he was completely healthy in 2010.

I further went on to say that Orton's decision-making was his downfall.

Now, please tell me within that text anywhere, where either Elway or I said that
Orton is "one of the best QBs in the game."

Nonetheless, that you have never heard of something is pretty flimsy evidence
toward it's never happening. Something to keep in mind . . .

Anyway, while I feel I had to answer your comment because of the way you
misrepresented what I said, I am still amazed how you and others ignored
Davii's warning a few posts back, to wit:

Thank you. Now, speaking for myself, :focus:

Chef Zambini
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
manning made some bad decisions early in the game...
I guess thats how this turned into an orton discussion.

Chef Zambini
09-20-2012, 12:57 PM
At my age, HAPPY HOUR is a nap!

love the new signature !

topscribe
09-20-2012, 01:04 PM
I think Ted Bartlett of "It's All Over, Fat Man (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/second-helping-of-peyton-mannings-three-interceptions-atlanta)" provided what may be a pretty
good summary for this thread. He said:

"I do not buy for a second that the problems are physical. Manning can still throw
the ball with plenty of zip when he needs to, but throws to the seam tend to be touch
throws over a trailing underneath defender. Even if Manning could sling it like Jay
Cutler or Matthew Stafford, he wouldn’t be throwing the fastball on those throws."

You can find the rest of the article here (http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/second-helping-of-peyton-mannings-three-interceptions-atlanta). It's a really good read, worth your time.

bcbronc
09-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Re: ATL playing conservatively because they were in the lead, I don't buy it. They actually moved away from the run and threw more as the game went on, that's my impression at least. Ryan continued with the no-huddle and kept looking to make throws through the air. At one point Chucky even pointed out how the refs needing guidance was benefiting our defense.

Definitely feel that once Manning settled down we held our own against a good team on the road.

Orton tebow plummer orton.

SoCalImport
09-20-2012, 03:08 PM
K. I only saw the first half and only once. I will now eat crow. checking IAOF breaking down the plays frame by frame http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/second-helping-of-peyton-mannings-three-interceptions-Atlanta and in hindsight I realize that the "fluttery" nature of a couple of the trows was by design.

Ravage!!!
09-20-2012, 03:19 PM
K. I only saw the first half and only once. I will now eat crow. checking IAOF breaking down the plays frame by frame http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/second-helping-of-peyton-mannings-three-interceptions-Atlanta and in hindsight I realize that the "fluttery" nature of a couple of the trows was by design.

Those are always good reads.

TXBRONC
09-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Neither can I recall Elway ever calling Orton one of the best QBs in the NFL.
Moreover, I cannot recall when I ever said that.

What I said was that Elway mentioned Orton passed the ball "as well as anyone
in the league." In fact, Orton was doing just that during the time Elway said it,
as evidenced by Orton's averaging 306 yards/game, with the second highest
YPA in the league, a 62% comp, 20 TDs vs. 6 INTs, and a 96.0 QBR, during the
11 (only) games he was completely healthy in 2010.

I further went on to say that Orton's decision-making was his downfall.

Now, please tell me within that text anywhere, where either Elway or I said that
Orton is "one of the best QBs in the game."

Nonetheless, that you have never heard of something is pretty flimsy evidence
toward it's never happening. Something to keep in mind . . .

Anyway, while I feel I had to answer your comment because of the way you
misrepresented what I said, I am still amazed how you and others ignored
Davii's warning a few posts back, to wit:

Thank you. Now, :focus:

One, if I'm doing something Davii will let me know.

Two, as you so inclined to tell others they are not moderator take your own advice. :wink:

Three, I don't recall Elway saying that, nevertheless it can be construed as Orton being one of the best quarterbacks.

Now since you have insatiable need to have the last word be my guest.

If not :focus:.

topscribe
09-21-2012, 10:05 AM
One, if I'm doing something Davii will let me know.

Two, as you so inclined to tell others they are not moderator take your own advice. :wink:

Three, I don't recall Elway saying that, nevertheless it can be construed as Orton being one of the best quarterbacks.

As usual, you took my post personally. I'm not surprised.

Anyway, if Elway's saying that Orton passes "as well as anyone in the league"
can be construed as his being one of the best quarterbacks, then you are the
one doing the construing. Neither he nor I said anything of the sort. It would
be best, therefore, to read out of my posts, rather than into them. :wave:

Ravage!!!
09-21-2012, 10:05 AM

No no.. you are supposed to have the last word, hit the :focus:, then thank the mod for saying something about getting back on topic, and give the mod's "back on topic" post a high five.

bcbronc
09-22-2012, 03:33 AM
What's the topic again?