PDA

View Full Version : Impressions from Attending the Game

ATLbroNCO
09-18-2012, 07:51 AM
I usually just lurk around the forums, but after attending last night's game I feel like I have a couple of points to add to the ever expanding speculation surrounding this game.

First, Manning's three INTs in the first quarter were purely read problems. I believe after his first interception, he was looking for a security blanket in someone he could trust to run the correct routes, that man being Stokley. The final two interceptions were on the same sort of route (a seam route). Peyton should have adjusted and thrown the ball outside to DT after looking inside. I am very surprised that he did not adjust quicker, but, after all, it is only his second real game in a year. His arm strength is still just as good as ever, there was one out route to Decker early in the game that really assured me of that.

I am not one to make excuses for the Broncos, but the Knowshon fumble towards the end of the quarter was an absolute killer. I do not know what you guys were able to see on TV, but what occurred at the game was completely ludicrous. First of all, the refs never, and I repeat NEVER, indicated which team had recovered the ball. After a scrum, a punch thrown by one of the Falcon's defenders (which let me add he was NOT ejected), John Fox almost having a heart attack, and Franklin emerging from the pile with the ball, miraculously the Falcons were awarded the ball. The was a pivotal point in the game. We were driving, and with the 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct we would have had the ball on the 15, with a chance to cut the lead to 3 points. How this play was not reviewed by the booth I do not know. Aren't all turnovers subject to booth review? This play itself was enough to make the refs look terrible....

The officials absolutely inhibited the flow of the game. Any sort of hurry up offense that the Broncos would have liked to run was slowed significantly throughout the game. The first half itself took 2 hours. The missed calls, the weak defensive PIs, and many other calls greatly impacted this game. Fox even had to waste a challenge on a PI that should have never been called because the ball was tipped in the first place. I think that this game will make the league make a drastic move to getting the real refs back.

The defense played well in my opinion. We all knew that the Falcons WRs were going to rack up some yards. Despite the ten points handed to the Falcons on a golden platter, they did what they needed to do in order to win the game. The fact that after the turnovers and officiating that we were still in the game is a great testament to this team. We absolutely need to put more pressure with our 4 and 5 rush plays. Elvis, where are you man? We need those sacks!! Great job on run defense, Turner had no where to run all night. The Broncos have a lot to work on... but against an elite team, with an anomaly of a first quarter from PM, we were still in a position to win the game at the end. I expect the Broncos to build off this, and with far fewer mistakes/ overall exceptions to how they normally play, this team will be on the right track to make a playoff run.

Id also like to add that the atmosphere in the Dome was incredible last night, one of the best I have ever see at a professional game. The Broncos will be hard pressed to find a harder place to hear Peyton's calls. Also, big ups for Bronco Nation... Towards the end of the game when the Falcons were trying to ice it, there were defense chants resonating throughout the stadium. It made me proud to see such a huge turnout.

Any thoughts guys? I really do think that this team can look at this game with a positive outlook. 8/10 I think we beat the Falcons, even with all of the adversity that the Broncos had to face.

Northman
09-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Trust or not, Stokely was not the guy he should be targeting downfield. Horrible, horrible reads and forced throws. As someone said in another thread, Peyton looked like a rookie out there which is bad. After the first game i can understand him being a bit humble but its also like his already giving himself excuses for nights like last night. Quarterbacks can have bad days but he needs to improve like a lot and show the kind of leadership that he was brought in for.

vandammage13
09-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Trust or not, Stokely was not the guy he should be targeting downfield. Horrible, horrible reads and forced throws. As someone said in another thread, Peyton looked like a rookie out there which is bad. After the first game i can understand him being a bit humble but its also like his already giving himself excuses for nights like last night. Quarterbacks can have bad days but he needs to improve like a lot and show the kind of leadership that he was brought in for.

The early reads were bad, but I'm not seeing a lot of zip on some of the longer throws (at least not consistently).

The sideline throws seem the most troubling to me....Some of the passes to the sideline seemed to die off before they got there. Don't think the arm strength is quite there yet. The cerebral part of his game should be able to overcome that, but he was making bad reads last night, which is too hard to overcome when you no longer have the arm.

silkamilkamonico
09-18-2012, 11:33 AM
The early reads were bad, but I'm not seeing a lot of zip on some of the longer throws (at least not consistently).

The sideline throws seem the most troubling to me....Some of the passes to the sideline seemed to die off before they got there. Don't think the arm strength is quite there yet. The cerebral part of his game should be able to overcome that, but he was making bad reads last night, which is too hard to overcome when you no longer have the arm.

I agree. 2 of those interceptions were horribly slow, soft, fluttery balls downfield. I keep hearing even from the analysts that he hasn't lost any zip, but man some of the throws downfield look very soft. I hold my breath every time he throws 15+ yards and hope it is a timing route.

Traveler
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I am not one to make excuses for the Broncos, but the Knowshon fumble towards the end of the quarter was an absolute killer. I do not know what you guys were able to see on TV, but what occurred at the game was completely ludicrous. First of all, the refs never, and I repeat NEVER, indicated which team had recovered the ball. After a scrum, a punch thrown by one of the Falcon's defenders (which let me add he was NOT ejected), John Fox almost having a heart attack, and Franklin emerging from the pile with the ball, miraculously the Falcons were awarded the ball. The was a pivotal point in the game. We were driving, and with the 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct we would have had the ball on the 15, with a chance to cut the lead to 3 points. How this play was not reviewed by the booth I do not know. Aren't all turnovers subject to booth review? This play itself was enough to make the refs look terrible....

The officials absolutely inhibited the flow of the game. Any sort of hurry up offense that the Broncos would have liked to run was slowed significantly throughout the game. The first half itself took 2 hours. The missed calls, the weak defensive PIs, and many other calls greatly impacted this game. Fox even had to waste a challenge on a PI that should have never been called because the ball was tipped in the first place. I think that this game will make the league make a drastic move to getting the real refs back.

Preach! Peyton's 3 Int's definitely killed us, but Moreno's fumble seemed to visibly affect to team offensively. All the people in the stands where I was sitting still don't know how ATL was given the football even though Franklin recovered it. We couldn't tell what was happening because they rarely showed instant replay on the big screens. My other question is aren't all touchdown supposed to be reviewed? If so, why wasn't the Turner touchdown not reviewed when the previous score was? They did atually show the replay in the stadium and from what we saw, Turner didn't score.

With all the adversity during the game, I'm still amazed we could have possibly won.

Chef Zambini
09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
I usually just lurk around the forums, but after attending last night's game I feel like I have a couple of points to add to the ever expanding speculation surrounding this game.

First, Manning's three INTs in the first quarter were purely read problems. I believe after his first interception, he was looking for a security blanket in someone he could trust to run the correct routes, that man being Stokley. The final two interceptions were on the same sort of route (a seam route). Peyton should have adjusted and thrown the ball outside to DT after looking inside. I am very surprised that he did not adjust quicker, but, after all, it is only his second real game in a year. His arm strength is still just as good as ever, there was one out route to Decker early in the game that really assured me of that.

The defense played well in my opinion. We all knew that the Falcons WRs were going to rack up some yards. Despite the ten points handed to the Falcons on a golden platter, they did what they needed to do in order to win the game. The fact that after the turnovers and officiating that we were still in the game is a great testament to this team. We absolutely need to put more pressure with our 4 and 5 rush plays. Elvis, where are you man? We need those sacks!! Great job on run defense, Turner had no where to run all night. The Broncos have a lot to work on... but against an elite team, with an anomaly of a first quarter from PM, we were still in a position to win the game at the end. I expect the Broncos to build off this, and with far fewer mistakes/ overall exceptions to how they normally play, this team will be on the right track to make a playoff run.

Id also like to add that the atmosphere in the Dome was incredible last night, one of the best I have ever see at a professional game. The Broncos will be hard pressed to find a harder place to hear Peyton's calls. Also, big ups for Bronco Nation... Towards the end of the game when the Falcons were trying to ice it, there were defense chants resonating throughout the stadium. It made me proud to see such a huge turnout.

Any thoughts guys? I really do think that this team can look at this game with a positive outlook. 8/10 I think we beat the Falcons, even with all of the adversity that the Broncos had to face.excellent post, you should do so more often, thanks for the in stadium perspective and your east coast bronco support !

SDBroncosFan
09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I actually created an account because I can't believe all the negative Broncos fans. It's amazing really...

What did you think, Peyton would walk into denver on a shiny horse and carry us to a superbown win? My god, Peyton looks fantastic. He's starting after over a year off with a new club, new coaches, and new teammates. This stuff takes time to develop. Even with all that you can see his poise and calm. Peyton was a fantastic pickup for us, and with time I think we could be one of the best in the league they just need to get tighter on the routes.

Everyone is focused on the 4 turnovers in the first quarter... blah blah blah.. Anyone else notice that we only lost by 6 even with that? Anyone else see the refs blow major calls on our side? I sure as hell did, even the fumble they gave to ATL should have gone to the Broncos.. that could have changed the game right there. Looking beyond the refs bad call because that's only an excuse, I think the D looked great. I think the offense after that first quarter really started clicking. I think if Peyton didn't get slowed down and could go to his no huddle this would be a completely different conversation.

All that being said, we were playing the ATL falcons on Monday Night at their house! My god people, get a clue. We have a great club, and Peyton WILL fix the issues that happened. Give him some time to gel more and i'm sure we'll all be very happy with our team.

All in all I'd say Broncos performed great last night, and with a few fixes we will be a challenge for any team out there.