Total Yards: 8th
Rushing Yards: 9th
Yards per Carry: 2nd
Passing Yards: 9th
Yards per Catch: 5th
Sacks: 6th
Scoring: 16th
3rd Down %- 28th

We are -4 on the turnover ratio as well, which is a big reason why the Broncos are 16th in scoring defense. Overall, I think Del Rio has done a good job handling a defense that has huge problems at LB and safety. For some reason, Doom has gone MIA. Von Miller is no longer a superstar in the making. He's a superstar. If we can get him any help at all in the pass rush department he may break 20 sacks this season. His talent and Del Rio's schemes will only be able to cover for Joe Mays and Rahim Moore for so long. Wolfe was invisible in this game, not even registering a tackle. I'm not a fan of sitting back in a soft zone and not blitzing most of the time in passing situations. I think it's a big factor in our 28th ranking on 3rd downs. JDR is going to have to find a way to get this team off of the field on 3rd downs. Losing Ty Warren was a big blow once again. Someone needs to step up in the middle of that Dline. Love or hate DJ Williams, he's the best linebacker on this team not named Von Miller, and will improve this D if he gets back on the field.

CrazyHorse
09-18-2012, 02:55 AM
Maybe they should move DJ back to middle linebacker? I feel Woodyard is better at his position than Mays is at his thus it would hide the most weakness.

Ziggy
09-18-2012, 03:49 AM
I've thought about that as well. Brooking can also play either MLB or WLB. DJ was always average at MLB, but right now that would be a huge improvement.

CrazyHorse
09-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Brooking at middle and DJ on the weak side. Coudn't be worse than what we have know. Unless Nate Irving pans out which seams unlikely we need a stud middle linebacker next year in the draft among other things.

Northman
09-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Linebacking core needs some work. Im not seeing Denver keeping DJ beyond this year and i agree with Crazy that Denver needs to seriously look at some quality talent in the draft next year.

catfish
09-18-2012, 07:28 AM
I'll give the D props for this game, this one could have been out of reach by halftime. The played really well to even give the team a chance to win

Mike
09-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Moore is about as bad a safety as I have seen. LBs are atrocious. Elvis has left the building. And the defense still kept us in the game against a premier offense in their house. Major props to Del Rio.

SR
09-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Moore is about as bad a safety as I have seen. LBs are atrocious. Elvis has left the building. And the defense still kept us in the game against a premier offense in their house. Major props to Del Rio.

I don't necessarily agree that the LBs are that bad. They're not good in coverage, but so far against the run they're pretty solid. Woodyard is flying all over the place and has good intensity. Von is MUCH improved against the run which was evident by his TFL on Turner last night. Mays is average AT BEST. We have an average linebacking corps. Our defensive line as a unit has played well. The biggest glaring thing I see so far is the lack of blitz packages by Del Rio. It looks like he's sticking with a four man front with Von coming off the left edge on some plays. Not much blitzing up the middle. Not much blitzing off the right side of the D-Line. The opposing offensive linemen are free to double team Elvis because of the lack of blitz.

BroncoJoe
09-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Tell you what, Ryan threw 36 times and I'd guess 90% of those throws left his hand within 2-4 seconds. Even with a blitz, it's hard to get pressure on a QB when they're throwing that quick.

PatriotsGuy
09-18-2012, 08:57 AM
I think you can throw some stats out when your offense is giving the ball away like that.

Mike
09-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I don't necessarily agree that the LBs are that bad. They're not good in coverage, but so far against the run they're pretty solid. Woodyard is flying all over the place and has good intensity. Von is MUCH improved against the run which was evident by his TFL on Turner last night. Mays is average AT BEST. We have an average linebacking corps. Our defensive line as a unit has played well. The biggest glaring thing I see so far is the lack of blitz packages by Del Rio. It looks like he's sticking with a four man front with Von coming off the left edge on some plays. Not much blitzing up the middle. Not much blitzing off the right side of the D-Line. The opposing offensive linemen are free to double team Elvis because of the lack of blitz.

If only we could make the other team only run on us. ;)

Woodyard is a servicable backup/special team player. Mays isn't even that...he is an absolute liability. Miller is obviously a stud. The weaknesses in the other two's game make this LB core below average IMO. I agree about your take on what Del Rio is doing though.

Foochacho
09-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Wonder if anyone would take DJ in trade for a decent safety. Our linebackers have been playing fairly well for what they are. Moore needs to be on backup duty though. I don't think DJ will make much difference, but a decent safety would be great.

MasterShake
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Tell you what, Ryan threw 36 times and I'd guess 90% of those throws left his hand within 2-4 seconds. Even with a blitz, it's hard to get pressure on a QB when they're throwing that quick.

I noticed the same thing. So far we've gone against a pretty mobile QB and one with a quick release. Once we get going against more traditional pocket QBs I expect the sack number will jump up. I was really impressed with Miller's run stopping on a side note.

SR
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM

And that's why last week after the Pittsburgh game I said that Pittsburgh showed how to beat Denver's defense because that is EXACTLY what the Steelers did and Denver didn't have an answer for it...especially on third down when it mattered most.

Ravage!!!
09-18-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm going to disagree with nearly everyone here. I don't think the LBs are nearly as bad as I'm hearing/seeing the crying about. Mays wasn't horrible, they couldn't run the ball, and DJ is much better than Woodyard.

I absolutely agree about needing to spend some picks on LBs, but I don't think the LBs are as "atrocious" as some are expressing. Not by a long shot.

As far as the OP... I think Del Rio is doing a fantastic job with our defense.

catfish
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm going to disagree with nearly everyone here. I don't think the LBs are nearly as bad as I'm hearing/seeing the crying about. Mays wasn't horrible, they couldn't run the ball, and DJ is much better than Woodyard.

I absolutely agree about needing to spend some picks on LBs, but I don't think the LBs are as "atrocious" as some are expressing. Not by a long shot.

I'm have no opinion on the LB play, but I will post the PFF scores if anyone is interested and if it will help the debate in some way.

slim
09-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Where's the pass rush?

Foochacho
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Agreed if they were that bad our run game would be getting lit up. Most line backers are a liability in coverage, ours are no different. It is the safety play that keeps us on the field after a third down.

Mike
09-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Ok...ok...maybe atrocious is too harsh. They are playing as well as backup/borderline roster fodder can play. Is that enough sunshine and daisies? :)

Ziggy
09-18-2012, 01:12 PM
The poor linebacking play is being covered up by the good play of our Dline against the run. The linebackers are running free and unblocked for the most part. In the few times when thier not, the opposing team is running well, e.g. Michael Turner's last run for the big first down when we needed one last stop. Von is the exception here. I believe he leads the NFL in TFL. That kid is disruptive in both the run and passing game.

Krugan
09-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Would be wonderful if we could stop a 3rd and anything.

rationalfan
09-18-2012, 03:18 PM
personally, i think harping on the LBs is the new ripping on the Dline; it's an easy assumption that's parroted but not necessarily true. i think the LBs are playing OK, not great, not bad, but OK. if they were as bad as everyone suggests Denver would have lost both games this year quite easily (and not allowed last night's game to become competitive).

rahim moore also isn't as bad as some say. it's easy to hyperbolize, harder to understand his mistakes are more easily recognized than his attributes (speed). he needs some work (man to man coverage, wrapping up on the tackle). but i like his aggressiveness and his fearlessness. the key with him is that, at this point, i don't see him as the reason denver loses a game. for me, that's an improvement at safety (sadly).

i'm also curious what some people here think about the pass rush. in this limited sampling, it seems like del rio doesn't open up the all-out blitz until his team plays with a lead. anyone else notice this?

Ravage!!!
09-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Would be wonderful if we could stop a 3rd and anything.

and Yet.... the Falcons only had ONE scoring drive other than when we gave them the ball on our side of the field with INTs and fumbles. For not stopping third down, thats making a lot of stops...... somewhere.

Ravage!!!
09-18-2012, 03:24 PM
e.g. Michael Turner's last run for the big first down when we needed one last stop. V

Not a very fair example. That was a last desperate play by our entire defense.. rushing everyone into gap-hole blitzing. Its a high reward, high liability play. MOST of the time when teams try this, the RB is able to scrape onto a block..which then gets them past EVERYONE, and makes a long run. Thats what happened on that last run against Altanta. Everyone coming into gaps, the falcons KNEW what we were going to do (as did EVERYONE in the stadium and watching on TV)...and the Falcons simply executed properly. We stuffed their run for the entire game.

Krugan
09-18-2012, 06:34 PM
We are 16/32 this year on 3rd down.

The steelers were 11/19, the falcons 5/13 so it go better this week, but 50% is bad.

At least needs improvement.

Not to mention, several of those, where long distance.

Of course there are positives, but its an issue, and shouldnt just be brushed aside.

slim
09-18-2012, 06:54 PM
I just looked at the team stats...how can Mays only have 7 tackles in two games? Is that even possible for a starting MLB?

Cugel
09-18-2012, 07:47 PM

Denver's one loss is certainly NOT the fault of the defense! They played exceptionally well to keep Denver in the game after 4 turnovers in the first half!

Really, with that powerful offense, if somebody told you before the game that Peyton Manning would throw 3 picks and Knowshon would fumble the ball in the first quarter, you would expect the Falcons to be up by about 24 points at halftime!

Woodyard has been making a ton of tackles, the run defense has been stout. Michael Turner had 17 rushes for 42 yards and long of 15 yards. That's a 2.5 yards a carry, and the other Falcons RBs combined for 22 yards on 11 carries.

67 yards rushing for a team with a pro-bowl caliber RB? That's pretty good!

Matt Ryan threw for 219 yards which is not exactly lighting up the field. Roddy White played well with 8 catches for 102 yards and 1 TD, but Julio Jones played worse than Decker, with 4 catches for 14 yards, versus 4 catches for 53 yards.

Tony Gonzalez had a big night with 71 yards on 7 catches and a TD, but overall this is certainly NOT a dominating offensive performance when you are given the ball on 4 turnovers and only score 13 points off them!

In fact, the Falcons offense managed only 14 points not off turnovers.

They scored 13 points after getting the ball 4 times: at the Denver 1 (TD), the Denver 43 (FG), the Atlanta 47 (3 and out, gained 1 yard), and their own 32 (prior to the 15 yard PF penalty against them), (FG).

They scored only 1 TD in the second half.

Overall, that's extremely good defense by the Broncos. That game should really have been a total blowout with the Falcons scoring about 41 points, just like they did against the Chiefs at Arrowhead.

Ziggy
09-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I just looked at the team stats...how can Mays only have 7 tackles in two games? Is that even possible for a starting MLB?

Yet the Broncos are very good against the run. It tells you just how good the Dline is doing in that category, and just how bad Mays is.

Simple Jaded
09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
personally, i think harping on the LBs is the new ripping on the Dline; it's an easy assumption that's parroted but not necessarily true. i think the LBs are playing OK, not great, not bad, but OK. if they were as bad as everyone suggests Denver would have lost both games this year quite easily (and not allowed last night's game to become competitive).

rahim moore also isn't as bad as some say. it's easy to hyperbolize, harder to understand his mistakes are more easily recognized than his attributes (speed). he needs some work (man to man coverage, wrapping up on the tackle). but i like his aggressiveness and his fearlessness. the key with him is that, at this point, i don't see him as the reason denver loses a game. for me, that's an improvement at safety (sadly).

i'm also curious what some people here think about the pass rush. in this limited sampling, it seems like del rio doesn't open up the all-out blitz until his team plays with a lead. anyone else notice this?

Agreed on this one.......

Elevation inc
09-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Our underneath coverage is my only concern with this defense but that seems to be scheme related for the most part other than that im pretty happy so far with where were at after going against 2 top 8 qb's last year after 4 turnovers to buffalo for instance our defense got slapped and owned allover the place and that was steve johnson and ryan fitzpatrick lol

Superchop 7
09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Huge difference between first and second game.....Del Rio moved guys around against Steelers.....but did not against Falcons..(even after an audible???) We do not have a DT that commands a double team.....we need to move Von around....who knows.....maybe he could have flipped with Doom and owned Sam Baker.....maybe he could have gone ultra wide 9 and a Lb would have an open field B or C gap to the QB for a sack.
Ryan was fairly untouched all night long....forget the numbers....it was ugly in the pass rush and secondary department.