PDA

View Full Version : Reid making transition

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13001537

Like Mecklenburg of years ago, the ex-interior lineman switches to outside LB

There has been considerable discussion about so many defensive ends switching to outside linebacker.

How about Darrell Reid? He's a defensive tackle moving to outside linebacker.

As he stands now, in the upright position, Reid is a Broncos' starting outside linebacker after spending his previous four seasons mostly as a backup interior defensive lineman and special teams stalwart for the Indianapolis Colts.

"I have a lot to learn," Reid said after the morning training camp practice Wednesday. "It's a big transition for me. A lot more dropping. Really the biggest transition coming from the Colts, which is a 4-3, get-up-the-field system, to a 3-4, which is more hold your gap, put two hands on your guy. I'm not used to putting two hands on a guy."

The D-tackle switch to outside backer is not unprecedented, although a player like Karl Mecklenburg figured to come along once every half-century. Like Reid, Mecklenburg played his college ball at the University of Minnesota.

It seems Mecklenburg, who played defensive tackle, outside linebacker and five other front-seven positions in his 12 seasons with the Broncos from 1983-94, and Reid have much in common for two people who have yet to meet.

"Outside is easier than inside because you have less people blocking you," said Mecklenburg, who showed up at the Broncos' camp Wednesday to distribute his new book, "Heart of a Student Athlete." "But when you're off the line, all the sudden you have to see the whole field. Your steps are different. When you're off the ball, you have to take smaller steps so you can change direction more quickly."

Considering Reid hasn't played linebacker since high school, and then as a middle linebacker, heads were scratched when the Broncos signed him to a three-year, $6.8 million contract in March with the idea of converting him to outside linebacker.

It was the athleticism Reid showed on the Colts' special teams that gave Broncos coach Josh McDaniels the idea.

"I don't think we were certain what I was going to be," Reid said. "Maybe now I've shown enough where they can keep me at linebacker, but I think it was something he may have envisioned, but weren't sure about until I got out here."

Broncos fans from yesteryear know it can be done.

"It takes a while, but ultimately, you're still tackling the guy with the ball," Mecklenburg said. "You still take on a block — that stuff is the same. It's just getting to that point."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com