PDA

View Full Version : Royal emerging as Broncos offensive centerpiece

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't know if Royal can be the centerpiece but certainly see him playing the same role as Welker, but in my biased opinion he would be even better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuCj29m0TEojZkuRLI6.VT6E2bYF?slug=ap-broncos-royal&prov=ap&type=lgns

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—With just a little room to run during red zone drills, Denver Broncos wide receiver Eddie Royal(notes) bolted past one defender and used a nifty move to slip by another. An instant later, he was in the clear in the end zone where quarterback Kyle Orton(notes) hit him with a 10-yard dart.

That scene from Wednesday has become a familiar one during the Broncos training camp, where the second-year wide receiver is being groomed as an offensive centerpiece after a breakout rookie campaign a year ago.

“He sticks out every day,” Denver coach Josh McDaniels said. “Eddie is a very talented player, a lot of ability, very smart, versatile. We move him all over the field. He’s very unselfish, wants to do what’s best for the team. He’s accepted his role and he’s doing a great job with it so far.”

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Royal provided a vivid demonstration of his capabilities last season. He set team rookie records for with 91 receptions, 980 yards receiving, and five touchdown catches. He also became the first player since the 1970 NFL merger to post his team’s longest run (71 yards), reception (93 yards), kickoff return (95 yards), and punt return (36 yards) in the same season.

Royal finished with four games in which he had nine or more receptions, including a club rookie record 11 catches in a season-ending loss to the San Diego Chargers.

For his part, Royal is less impressed by those numbers than the opportunity to build on them, by improving his play as an individual and contributing to any overall improvement as an offense.

“I’m just coming out here and trying to get better every day,” said Royal, who broke into the league as a second-round pick out of Virginia Tech. “It’s not about individual stats at all. It’s about winning. We want to win and we want to get to the playoffs.”

The Broncos haven’t done that for three consecutive seasons. The drought fueled a tumultuous offseason that included the firing of two-time Super Bowl winning coach Mike Shanahan and the trading away of Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler(notes) after he clashed with McDaniels, the former New England offensive coordinator brought in to replace Shanahan.

While the new Broncos coach hasn’t been shy about making personnel changes on both sides of the ball, Royal is one holdover whom McDaniels has wholeheartedly embraced.

McDaniels has cited Royal’s impact as a return man on top of his eagerness to learn the new offensive system that the coach brought with him from New England and his determination to build chemistry with Orton and backup Chris Simms(notes). Both quarterbacks are in their first season in Denver.

“Learning the new terminology, learning where to line up, the different motions, it’s tough, but at the same time, it’s fun and it’s challenging,” Royal said. “You’ve got to come out here and challenge yourself, not only physically but mentally. We’re working at that every day. Coach is putting challenges in front of us and we’re trying to meet them together.”

Royal said his working relationship with Orton and Simms is getting better by the day.

“They’re both really good quarterbacks,” Royal said. “They’re accurate. They’re getting better with their reads and they’re getting the ball to us quickly, so I’m excited about it.”

Simms had a birds-eye view of Royal’s catch during red-zone drills and said the play encapsulated the receiver’s ability to get open anywhere on the field.

“His talent—you guys have seen it—speaks for itself,” Simms said. “He’s unbelievably quick and fast and has very surprising strength for somebody his size as well.”

While noting that Royal was one of the smartest receivers he’s ever been around and a distinct talent in his own right, McDaniels said he could see a day where, in terms of efficiency and production, Royal could be likened to Wes Welker(notes), whose 111 catches for New England last season were second-most in the league.

“Hopefully, you’ll be talking about Eddie Royal in that same breath,” McDaniels said.

That would suit Royal just fine.

“That’s what I’m here working for,” Royal said.

T.K.O.
08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
i got royal on all 3 of my fantasy teams!
he will break 100 catches and 1000 yds...go eddie GO !

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2009, 11:34 AM
He also became the first player since the 1970 NFL merger to post his team’s longest run (71 yards), reception (93 yards), kickoff return (95 yards), and punt return (36 yards) in the same season.

That is such a tremendous accomplishment, especially in today's NFL.

I would venture to guess that it will never happen again.

claymore
08-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Royal is messing with Marshall's payday. :D I hope he can stay healthy.

Northman
08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I would gladly pay Royal over Marshall right now. I have no problem with Eddie becoming the focal point.

CoachChaz
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Eddie's game is perfect for a McDaniels offense. Regardless of what happens with marshall...Eddie will have better numbers.

underrated29
08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I would gladly pay Royal over Marshall right now. I have no problem with Eddie becoming the focal point.

Not me. I would rather keep paying royal his low 2nd rd dollar figure for 3 more years and pay brandon what he deserves now. Then pay royal once his contract is coming up.

Northman
08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Not me. I would rather keep paying royal his low 2nd rd dollar figure for 3 more years and pay brandon what he deserves now. Then pay royal once his contract is coming up.

Im sure once Brandon gets over his off the field issues he will get his payday. If he cant stay out of trouble than there is no one to blame but himself. Part of his payday is based off of his off the field behavior so to say he deserves it right now is incorrect. Just like any appraisal a boss may give there is more that goes into the raises and for NFL players "conduct" is one of them. But im sure having me explain that too you for the 20th time is finally sinking in. :lol:

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Im sure once Brandon gets over his off the field issues he will get his payday. If he cant stay out of trouble than there is no one to blame but himself. Part of his payday is based off of his off the field behavior so to say he deserves it right now is incorrect. Just like any appraisal a boss may give there is more that goes into the raises and for NFL players "conduct" is one of them. But im sure having me explain that too you for the 20th time is finally sinking in. :lol:

...and now that there's talk of him not starting the season, because of injury...

D1g1tal j1m
08-06-2009, 01:03 PM
i got royal on all 3 of my fantasy teams!
he will break 100 catches and 1000 yds...go eddie GO !

I will not be drafting him in any of my Fantasy Teams, it seems that every year my teams are decimated by injuries so for the sake of not jinxing him I will avoid taking him. As well as any other Broncos.

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I will not be drafting him in any of my Fantasy Teams, it seems that every year my teams are decimated by injuries so for the sake of not jinxing him I will avoid taking him. As well as any other Broncos.

Way to sacrifice for the sake of the team. :D

Greatspirits
08-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah! I was just going to do a post to see if anybody knew who was going to play the Wes Welker role in this offense. I kinda figured it would be him. Go Eddie, 100% class!

Greatspirits
08-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Haha, me too! But i'm definitely drafting Cutler!!

honz
08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I love Eddie, but you really think he would have been as successful as he was last year if he was the teams top receiving threat? He benefits greatly from having Marshall and our TE's attract coverage....and vice versa. I believe that we would have a mediocre offense if Royal had to be the focal point of our offense.

Northman
08-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I love Eddie, but you really think he would have been as successful as he was last year if he was the teams top receiving threat? He benefits greatly from having Marshall and our TE's attract coverage....and vice versa. I believe that we would have a mediocre offense if Royal had to be the focal point of our offense.

Hard to say. In the first game of the year exploded for 142 yds without Marshall being there. Sure, having Brandon there can help but i think your selling him a bit short here.

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 02:54 PM

I think he can be the focal point of the offense in any particular game like last year's opening game against the Raiders. As much as I like Royal I don't think he could be the centerpiece for 16 games.

Mike
08-06-2009, 02:58 PM

What does he deserve now? The guy hasn't even shown he is healthy. :confused:

If anything, his camp so far has shown that giving the guy a big contract right now would be extremely irresponsible.

claymore
08-06-2009, 03:00 PM
What does he deserve now? The guy hasn't even shown he is healthy. :confused:

If anything, his camp so far has shown that giving the guy a big contract right now would be extremely irresponsible.

If he has a good year, I hope we franchise him , and trade him. Im sick of his whiny ass.

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 03:14 PM
If he has a good year, I hope we franchise him , and trade him. Im sick of his whiny ass.

You're just impossible to please. :D

claymore
08-06-2009, 03:17 PM
You're just impossible to please. :D

LOL, I dont think the kid will ever grow up. If he had multiple millions of Dollars, I think it would get worse.

Lonestar
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Royal is messing with Marshall's payday. :D I hope he can stay healthy.

moron marshall is messing with his payday..

I'd say if I were josh I'd be looking at extending his contract before marshalls..

claymore
08-06-2009, 03:23 PM
moron marshall is messing with his payday..

I'd say if I were josh I'd be looking at extending his contract before marshalls..

If we didnt have good/great depth in our WR's Marshall would be in allot better situation.

Royal is taking advantage of his chance, and Marshal is dumping on his. I will miss Marshall's run blocking.

Lonestar
08-06-2009, 03:24 PM

had jay hit the open man last year marshal would not have had the stats he did and jays Numbers for comp % would have been higher and his picks lower.. many times it would have been Eddie..

Lonestar
08-06-2009, 03:31 PM

we do not have to franchise him UNLESS they sign a new CBA which I'll guess will not happen till 2011 or later..

the owners have all the cards in their hand the best players are all coming up as UFA this year and next and under the terms of the CBA they all become RFA with a minor hit in pay increases for all of them..

I think I saw that Marshall's contract would increase to 3.3mil next year.. opposed to the 6-9 per year he will get from al davis.. and

if they do get a biggie contract offered we can match or get a 1st rounder from the team that proffered it.. win win win for us....

the owners have NO reason to do other wise.. they get rookie contracts on about 50% of the talent playing in the league for an additional two years during the players prime time.. SWEET deal for owners..

claymore
08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
we do not have to franchise him UNLESS they sign a new CBA which I'll guess will not happen till 2011 or later..

the owners have all the cards in their hand the best players are all coming up as UFA this year and next and under the terms of the CBA they all become RFA with a minor hit in pay increases for all of them..

I think I saw that Marshall's contract would increase to 3.3mil next year.. opposed to the 6-9 per year he will get from al davis.. and

if they do get a biggie contract offered we can match or get a 1st rounder from the team that proffered it.. win win win for us....

the owners have NO reason to do other wise.. they get rookie contracts on about 50% of the talent playing in the league for an additional two years during the players prime time.. SWEET deal for owners..

I know it wont happen, but I hope we fix the CBA, pay the players a whole lot less, and have cheaper tickets, and merchandising.