View Full Version : Paying Their Dues

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
This actually looks fun to me.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9200

Paying Their Dues

By Zach Eisendrath
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Early into Wednesday night's practice at Dove Valley, Broncos rookies received their first public "Welcome to the NFL" moment -- courtesy of a makeshift Slip 'n Slide.

Following stretches, Head Coach Josh McDaniels gathered the team over to the south end of the field, where turf crew members had been watering down a stretch of field, making a nice muddy landing place for rookies to fall on fumbles. McDaniels then asked the first-year players to form a single-file line, and each proceeded to take his turn diving through the watery mess.

Veterans made sure the area stayed wet and muddy, aiming a hose at the rookies and often pouring extra buckets of water on them as they dove on the ball.

Britton Colquitt had an idea why the first-year players were singled out at the onset of practice. "All of us rookies were starting to blend in a little too well," he laughed.

Tom Brandstater had a hunch the rookies were going to be put through some sort of initiation when he saw turf crew members standing in the back of the end zone with a hose as he made his way onto the practice field.

"Apparently us rookies have to work on our ball security and our ability to go get the ball when it is on the ground," he joked.

While some rookies had a feeling something was in store for them, Richard Quinn was caught off guard by the activity -- at least he didn't want to believe the whispers.

"I didn't know it was coming," he said. "Well actually, there were rumors going around before we came out here, but I was like, "I didn't believe it." And then we came out there and I saw the whole thing. So I was like "Oh, time to get ready."

Despite being put through the watery drill, the rookies took it in stride. Alphonso Smith figured he might as well make the most of the situation, so the cornerback went first, attempting to set the standard for his rookie counterparts. After recovering the ball, Smith gave everyone a sneak peak at a few of his touchdown dance moves.

"We've just got to have fun with it," Smith said. "It's a part of being a rookie and you've got to enjoy the experience because you're only a rookie once."

Just two days after reporting to practice, Robert Ayers didn't see Smith's dance moves. The outside linebacker/defensive lineman was too busy trying to get out of the muddy field as soon as possible after his turn. It's safe to say the former Tennessee standout wasn't exactly waiting in line ready to volunteer to partake in the drill.

"I'm still kind of wet," Ayers said as he made his way off the practice field. "My shoes feel like they are 50 pounds. It was all fun. We came out here and still tried to compete under the circumstances because this could happen any game."

Rookie players weren't the only ones who went through the drill, though. First-year NFL coaches had to partake in the festivities, too. Offensive assistant Ben McDaniels and defensive assistant Jay Rodgers drew a host of cheers from the team after they dove into the messy pile to recover a fumble.

After going through Wednesday's initiation, the rookies were pretty much all in agreement that there will sure to be more embarrassing moments as camp progresses.

"I might not have any hair," Colquitt said. "I'm sure there is tons of stuff that could happen."

For a full photo gallery of the drill click here.

OFFICIATING PRESENTATION

In the midst of a three-day trip to Dove Valley, three referees took a break from officiating practice to quickly brief the media on a few rule changes entering the 2009 season.

Ed Hochuli took the lead during a 30-minute presentation and subsequent question-and-answer session at team headquarters. With a video monitor at his disposal, the high-profile crew chief explained what will and will not be deemed legal this season along with a few points of emphasis.

One major rule change involves instant replay. The technology has been expanded to review new plays, including quarterback pass/fumbles when the ruling on the field is an incomplete pass. If replay shows a player clearly fumbled the ball, and an opposing player clearly recovered it, the opposing team will be granted the ball at the spot of recovery. No forward progress will be allowed. If there is no clear recovery, the offensive team will retain the ball at the spot of the fumble.

Loose balls that appear to hit the sideline can also now be reviewed.

Hochuli, a 20-year veteran, was in favor of the changes.

"I think replay is a good tool," he said. "It doesn't fix all mistakes, but it fixes some."

In total, Hochuli's presentation was an informative one, as the official outlined a number of rule changes implemented for the 2009 campaign. For instance, the play that caused Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury last season would lead to a 15-year penalty this year, as the tackle by Kansas City's Bernard Pollard's on that play would now be deemed illegal. Defenders are no longer allowed to roll or lunge at quarterbacks at knee level or below.

Here are a few other rule changes:

•The play clock will start as soon as the ball is ready for all fumbles and backward passes that go out of bounds.
•Automatic re-kicks after illegal onside kicks -- when the kicking team touches it before 10 yards or it goes out of bounds -- regardless of where they take place, have been eliminated.
•In an effort to bolster player safety, blindside blocks to the head or neck area with a helmet, forearm or shoulder have been deemed illegal, and will result in a personal foul.
•Kickoff teams must now have at least three players outside the hashmarks on each side, one of whom must be outside the yard line numbers on either side as well.
•On kickoffs, no more than two receiving players may intentionally form a wedge in an attempt to block for the runner (An illegal wedge is defined as three or more players lined up shoulder-to-shoulder within two yards of each other). Note: This rule does not apply when the kicking team lines up in an obvious onside kick formation.
READY FOR INVESCO

Fully entrenched in training camp, the Broncos are shifting locations for Thursday evening's practice -- tomorrow's two-a-day nightcap will be held at INVESCO Field at Mile High.

As previously noted, fans have the opportunity to join the team during its prime time session. Parking and admission are free, with gates opening at 5:30 p.m. MDT and practice set to start at 6 p.m. MDT.

"Usually during this time of training camp, you get rejuvenated by going down there, putting the lights on and being in the stadium," McDaniels said. "It is a fun thing for all of us. Everybody is looking forward to it, and I hope there is a good turnout. I hope we put on a good show."

McDaniels said Thursday night's session will simulate game-type situations, down to the minutest details. McDaniels said there will be live contact and hitting during the session, which will focus on teamwork activities. He said some situations will be scripted, while others, he'll let play out. It will be a dry run for coaches, too. They'll wear headsets and practice communicating with one another from the sideline and the booths upstairs.

After installing offensive, defensive and special teams schemes through minicamps and organized team activities, McDaniels said the practice will gauge how familiar players are with the material they've been given.

"We are going to make our players responsible to know the information that we put in up to this point," he said. "There is not going to be a big call sheet where we give it to them and say, 'Here, it is only going to come from B.' We want to see how they respond to that. Usually when you do that, the players respond to the challenge."

In all, Broncos players appear to be excited about the change of scenery. After six days full of intense sessions at Dove Valley, rookies and veterans alike are looking forward to taking to their home field exactly one week before the club departs for its first preseason game at San Francisco.

Entering his seventh NFL campaign, Chris Simms said he has never practiced at his home stadium under similar circumstances.
"Not in two-a-days," he said. "In Tampa, we would maybe during OTAs or minicamp go to the (stadium). But to go there tomorrow night under the lights a little bit, that's going to be fun. I think the guys are going to be real excited to do that."

Kenny McKinley is one of those excited individuals. With a smile beaming on his face, the rookie could barely contain his excitement, acknowledging that, to him, tomorrow night's session will be more than just another training camp practice.

"It will be my first time going on the field into the stadium, so I'm very excited to go out there and perform," he said "I believe we're going to be scrimmaging with each other so that will be a chance for us to make it like a game situation on your home field, and see how it is to play there."

For more on Day 6 of training camp, check out the Broncos TV feature click here, or watch above. For pictures of the day, check out the photo gallery here.