PDA

View Full Version : Fields to man middle for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13002332

With the 3-4 defense returning, the team turns to veteran for dirtiest job on D

It does not, and will not, appear on any Top 40 list, it's not in Billboard magazine, not anywhere to be found on anybody's iPod.

Nope, it's just a little ditty Rubin Carter made up, a sort of ode to the big man, the guy in the middle of a 3-4 defense.

"It's 'Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Nose Tackles.' That's the song I used to sing around the house," Carter said. "Because you have to be pretty much a sacrificial lamb at times, a big one, but still a sacrificial lamb."

Carter, who manned the Broncos' nose tackle spot for 11 of his 12 seasons under defensive coordinator Joe Collier, said he put the words to music because his son — Washington Redskins defensive end Andre Carter — had said as a youngster he wanted to grow up and play the same position as his father.

"I had to blink a couple times when he said that," Carter said, laughing. "He wanted to be just like Dad, but I don't understand why he felt that way; he'd see me limping home and getting in the tub for 30 minutes to let the wounds heal."

So, the 3-4 is back in Denver, and the man being asked to man the dirtiest of defensive jobs much of the time is Ronald Fields, a 6-foot-2, 314-pounder who signed with the Broncos after four seasons with the San Francisco 49ers.

Fields, Carlton Powell (6-2, 312) and Marcus Thomas (6-3, 316) have all taken a spin at the position that requires lining up directly across from, or a shade off one shoulder, of the center. Once the ball is snapped, the job is to take on as many blockers as humanly possible so others can run free to the highlight shows.

"That's me," Fields said. "People say the nose tackle is key in this defense, so I've said I've got the key to the city, baby. Get the push, take on some blockers, do the job, you know, that's what it is."

Asked about the position, former Broncos defensive end Alfred Williams said, "Nose tackle? Well, he's the guy that you go over to his house and the laundry is never done, the guy who cooks the food and the dishes are always in the sink, the guy who you open up the car and stuff falls out the door on to the ground and there is stuff on the floor everywhere and it's never clean.

"Now that's the guy who wants to play nose tackle."

The position is thankless, but 100 percent necessary in any 3-4 scheme. Collier has said it is "impossible" to play a 3-4 well without having a nose guard who can consistently power his way up the field and draw a minimum of two blockers while preventing an offensive lineman from turning him and creating a gap to run through.

Consider that two of the best nose guards in the league — New England's Vince Wilfork and Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton — combined for all of three sacks last season.

"Physically you have to be strong, very quick and very flexible for a big person," Carter said. "You have to handle all of the twisting and turning, from getting blocked from all different angles, from almost every player you can name on an offense. And you can't spend a lot of time thinking about how many sacks you're going to get or tackles you're going to make.

"It's all about doing your job, because you take your finger out of the dam there and pretty soon you've got a flood."

When new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels made the switch to the 3-4, he was repeatedly quizzed on who would man the middle because the team initially didn't have many candidates.

He always mentioned Fields, who played under
new Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan in San Francisco, though Fields hasn't started a game since 2006. Fields has the build, and the Broncos believe he has the strength.

The issue will be whether Fields can play with the quickness required to fend off centers and guards.

"You've got to get your hands up in there, get off the ball and get into the blockers," Fields said. "Get up the field, create problems. If you don't create problems, then you've got problems. This is a good opportunity for me."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I made Fields my adopted Bronco back within a week or so after we picked him up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. We need him to play well in that spot.

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I leery of Fields playing in the middle because he hasn't made a start since 2006 but hopefully he'll be solid because if he's things will be tough for the rest of the defense.

Dean
08-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I agree with your uncertainty on Ron Field's play. More than any other person on the defense this year it IMO will be the play of our nose that makes or breaks for our D.

I wish someone that attends practices could watch him all through a few practices to see what the Broncos will have. Are our linemen having to double team him and if so does he keep from being turned? On passing downs can he provide pressure up the middle? That would not solve anything other than to give us as fans more or less worries. However, it would be nice to know.

broncofaninfla
08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm iffy on Fields as well, hope he can do what he didn't do in San Fran. I'm still hoping Baker starts to make a name for himself and pushes at the NT spot. Also hoping the same for Powell. Both offer more of a upside than Fields IMO.

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I agree with your uncertainty on Ron Field's play. More than any other person on the defense this year it IMO will be the play of our nose that makes or breaks for our D.

I wish someone that attends practices could watch him all through a few practices to see what the Broncos will have. Are our linemen having to double team him and if so does he keep from being turned? On passing downs can he provide pressure up the middle? That would not solve anything other than to give us as fans more or less worries. However, it would be nice to know.

Yep, as its been said many times before the nost tackle is the key to running a 3-4 defense.

Can a 3-4 defense be superb if the nose tackle is only serviceable or does the nose tackle have to be a Casey Hampton/Vince Wilfolk type?

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm iffy on Fields as well, hope he can do what he didn't do in San Fran. I'm still hoping Baker starts to make a name for himself and pushes at the NT spot. Also hoping the same for Powell. Both offer more of a upside than Fields IMO.

I wouldn't mind that either. Fields has been a role player through out his professional career so that's one of the reasons I'm concerned.

sanluis
08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Fields is not the answer IMO. He couldn't do it on a bad 9er team so i don't think he is going to magically blossom here in Denver. Not smack just my opinion.

I think Fields is going to be part of a rotation in Denver and this spot is going to be filled by committee. Should be interesting... I can't wait to see some football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!