PDA

View Full Version : Day 6 pn's Training Camp Report

pnbronco
08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
I was not the only member there today, so I did not take notes, but here is what I remember.

We really could not see the slip and slide, but we could hear them and man you could tell who participated in the exercise, their uniforms were major muddy and wet...wet...wet.. I'm sure they were thinking why couldn't this happen when we were practicing in the 90 degree day????

Got to see lots of kicks from Brett Kern and Britton Colquitt. They were both really good again today, lots of high, long kicks and great hang time. I would again give the edge to Kern. I don't remember watching him as much last year, but he just seems better to me this year.

No Ryan Torain today. Every time I saw Peyton he looked great. Of the 3 others RB's I don't even remember watching Darius Walker today, so I have no idea how he did, or he just didn't get my attention. Between LaMont Jordan and Correll Buckhalter, Correll just seems faster and stronger. Well until Kenny Peterson stuffed him BIG time, it was a beauty to see, talk about firing up the D.

Tony Carter had a nice almost interception, but didn't notice him as much today.

David Bruton was out there a lot, I kept remember looking up his number a bunch today. Can't really tell you how much of a impact he was having but he always seemed to be around the ball and I just kept noticing him.

Champ's just Champ he has a presence that is always with him. I did notice him a Stok working against each other a lot and I'm sure it's great for both of them.

One other player who I kept noticing and just seems really smart in the way he plays is Andre Goodman. In fact the first time I saw him I thought it was Champ, he carries himself like Champ in not a lot of extra movement, but each action counts.

Royal is really coming into his own. He just is catching everything going his way. Stokley another solid performance today. Plus Scheff and Gaffney had a very solid afternoon. Orton looked better than most days, but not as good as yesterday IMO, Simms some nice passes, but a lot the same.

They were working the goal line towards the end and Scheff got creamed I mean the sounds of hitting were major. Scheff just laid there for a few and my heart just dropped, then he got up slow and had a little limp, I really hope it was just a ding, but people were kind of nasty in their comments. I wanted to say did you just "hear" all those bodies hitting, but I'm sure it's the mom in me.

No one was more upset than I was with Mike Leach was cut, I just love that guy. I have to say that Lonie Paxton is a wall of a man. He looks like one of those MMA fighers that would just tear you up. I hope he blocks as solid as looks like he can. Plus he is really nice. He was talking to some kids in front of me the other day and was just super sweet, bummer I really wanted to hate him.

Off topic of the day. Talked to Ben H tonight and asked about the hair, it's really long now. He said it's been 2 years since he cut it, so we have our own Samson on the team.....

Tned
08-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for another great report. Good memory, with no notes. :)

On the Paxton thing, I heard Kern this morning being interviewed by Vic Lombardi, and he asked him what he thought about Leach being replaced, since Leach seemed like such a good long punter.

Kern said at first he was really surprised, but after working with Paxton, he understands. He said that Paxton asked him where he wants the ball, like on the right hip, and then he puts the ball there EVERY time. He said he is an amazing long snapper, and he now understands why they replaced Leach with Paxton.

DenBronx
08-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm getting more and more impressed with Paxton. I too didn't understand this signing but he seems to be not only one of the best at what he does but a stand out guy. I hope his ability helps our young kickers to get better faster.

Tned
08-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm getting more and more impressed with Paxton. I too didn't understand this signing but he seems to be not only one of the best at what he does but a stand out guy. I hope his ability helps our young kickers to get better faster.

While if Cutler turns out to be a HOF QB and we rotate through QBs for the next decade, that trade and how it occurred will constantly be questioned, much of what seemed like questionable or 'homer' moves by McDaniels is starting to look like very smart moves -- Paxton and Gaffney for instance.

We are still a long way from knowing, but McDaniels has been talking from day one about winning right away vs. rebuilding for the future. I don't know if the players like it, but it sounds like he is working their asses off in camp, to make them tougher and hopefully much better at fundamentals like tackling.

TXBRONC
08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
While if Cutler turns out to be a HOF QB and we rotate through QBs for the next decade, that trade and how it occurred will constantly be questioned, much of what seemed like questionable or 'homer' moves by McDaniels is starting to look like very smart moves -- Paxton and Gaffney for instance.

We are still a long way from knowing, but McDaniels has been talking from day one about winning right away vs. rebuilding for the future. I don't know if the players like it, but it sounds like he is working their asses off in camp, to make them tougher and hopefully much better at fundamentals like tackling.

Paige just the other day said that McDaniels is bright and as sharp as Mike Shanahan. Paige also thinks that if the Cutler ordeal had not come to pass more people would be optimistic about the Broncos this year.

Paige also said that McDaniels gave him a little bit grief about predicting that Denver will only win about five or six game. Apparently McDaniels really does he can win immediately.