PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins Injury - Broken Hand (merged)

Lonestar
08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
By Mike Chambers
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/05/2009 11:43:27 AM MDT
Updated: 08/05/2009 06:43:46 PM MDT

Broncos safety Brian Dawkins stretches during the opening of minicamp in June 2009. (Reza A. Marvashti, The Denver Post)Broncos safety Brian Dawkins missed this morning's practice with an undisclosed injury. He is not scheduled to participate in this afternoon's drills or Thursday night's structured scrimmage at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"He'll be out for a few days," Denver coach Josh McDaniels said of Dawkins, the former Philadelphia Eagles standout. "I wouldn't expect it to last too long. Certainly not anything devastating, but I'm not going to go into details about what it is."

Also sitting out this morning, but for precautionary and/or veteran-rest reasons, were receivers Brandon Stokley, tight end Daniel Graham, center Casey Wiegmann, running back Correll Buckhalter and linebacker D.J. Williams. Receiver Brandon Marshall is again not participating, nursing soreness from off-season hip surgery.

Meanwhile, McDaniels revealed Thursday's session at the stadium will be "a game-type of setting and scenario" with live contact. It is open the public and begins at 6 p.m.

"A lot of teamwork (and) coaches off the field or in the booth," he said. "We haven't done this together yet. We don't want the first time for that to happen in (the preseason opener at) San Francisco . . . We're all looking forward to going down there.

"Usually, about this time in training camp you get rejuvenated by going down there, putting the lights on and being in the stadium. It's a fun thing for all of us . . . Hope there is a good turn out and we put on a good show."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12997737?source=rss

D1g1tal j1m
08-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Might be time to clear up Dawkins’ injury
by Jeff Legwold on August 6, 2009

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has made it clear he would prefer not to discuss injuries in any fashion.

That players are simply “sore” when they miss practice and that when they’re ready to return to the field that’s when they’ll return to the field.

Not surprising since that injury policy is straight from the Patriots’ playbook.

But in the case of safety Brian Dawkins, who has missed time because of what is believed to be a hand/wrist injury, it might be time to clear things up.

Rookie David Bruton is working with the defense’s first team these days. And Bruton said after Thursday’s morning practice that what happened to Dawkins was “sad.”

“Sad” doesn’t really sound short-term and Bruton’s demeanor on the field, as well as the other players’ interactions with him, suggest he’s going to be there for a little bit.

It’s not Bruton’s fault and he isn’t the first player to use “sad” and Dawkins’ injury in the same sentence in recent days.

So it may be time for McDaniels to clear things up or it’s exactly the kind of distraction he was hoping to avoid in the first place.

TDmvp
08-06-2009, 07:02 PM
really hope this guy can stay healthy ... far to thin at that spot ...

Lonestar
08-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Might be time to clear up Dawkins’ injury
by Jeff Legwold on August 6, 2009

Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has made it clear he would prefer not to discuss injuries in any fashion.

That players are simply “sore” when they miss practice and that when they’re ready to return to the field that’s when they’ll return to the field.

Not surprising since that injury policy is straight from the Patriots’ playbook.

But in the case of safety Brian Dawkins, who has missed time because of what is believed to be a hand/wrist injury, it might be time to clear things up.

Rookie David Bruton is working with the defense’s first team these days. And Bruton said after Thursday’s morning practice that what happened to Dawkins was “sad.”

“Sad” doesn’t really sound short-term and Bruton’s demeanor on the field, as well as the other players’ interactions with him, suggest he’s going to be there for a little bit.

It’s not Bruton’s fault and he isn’t the first player to use “sad” and Dawkins’ injury in the same sentence in recent days.

So it may be time for McDaniels to clear things up or it’s exactly the kind of distraction he was hoping to avoid in the first place.

sorry the only distraction I can see is reporters trying to scope one another..

for the backups it means valuable playing time.. for a guy like Dawkins a perennial Pro Bowlers it really means nothing IF he is not on IR.. He can fit back in in a heart beat..

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 08:35 PM
sorry the only distraction I can see is reporters trying to scope one another..

for the backups it means valuable playing time.. for a guy like Dawkins a perennial Pro Bowlers it really means nothing IF he is not on IR.. He can fit back in in a heart beat..

Teammates don't call things "sad" when you break a finger and will be back for the first game of the season. They just don't.

This is NOT good. At all.

Reporters don't create problems no matter how much people want to make them the problem.

Lonestar
08-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Teammates don't call things "sad" when you break a finger and will be back for the first game of the season. They just don't.

Reporters don't create problems no matter how much people want to make them the problem.

it is not a distraction to anyone but the fans and and the reporters everyone else is plugging away..

and if that is the new policy trying to make it a controversy then becomes the DISTRACTION..

and that my friend is what this reporter is trying to do..

what ever happens will come out on the IR report or injured player report done on IIRC on Thursday and Friday prior to the games being played..

got to keep those betting lines correct..:laugh:

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 08:49 PM
it is not a distraction to anyone but the fans and and the reporters everyone else is plugging away..

and if that is the new policy trying to make it a controversy then becomes the DISTRACTION..

and that my friend is what this reporter is trying to do..

what ever happens will come out on the IR report or injured player report done on IIRC on Thursday and Friday prior to the games being played..

got to keep those betting lines correct..:laugh:

Beat reporters don't make things up, contrary to popular opinion. And players don't tell reporters that what happened to another player is "sad," if it isn't serious.

The reporter did nothing but ask about Dawkin's injury. So quit blaming the reporter for A.) doing his job, and B.) the player's response.

The player's response is what it is. He called Dawkin's situation sad. I hope he's talking about his relationship with Johnson, but I doubt it.

But keep blaming the reporter.

frauschieze
08-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I think not clarifying an injury and leaving fans to wonder and reporters to ask questions is distracting. I don't see how it wouldn't be.

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I think not clarifying an injury and leaving fans to wonder and reporters to ask questions is distracting. I don't see how it wouldn't be.

I understand why they don't want to say, but when players say things like "it's sad what happened to him," without us knowing what that is...it's scary.

Lonestar
08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Beat reporters don't make things up, contrary to popular opinion. And players don't tell reporters that what happened to another player is "sad," if it isn't serious.

The reporter did nothing but ask about Dawkin's injury. So quit blaming the reporter for A.) doing his job, and B.) the player's response.

The player's response is what it is. He called Dawkin's situation sad. I hope he's talking about his relationship with Johnson, but I doubt it.

But keep blaming the reporter.

just like all of those "reports" about Josh and Jay.. do you suppose if we went back to them and dissected them we would not see anything "made up"?

I respect good reporting but once it goes past reporting the facts it become conjecture and commentary.. since NO ONE know for sure what has or has not happened I'll believe he is reaching for a Scoop..

you can beleive what ever you so desire..

let me add from your post this morning at 1013

"Three things they've added to this Broncos update:

Dawkins update.

Broncos safety Brian Dawkins is expected to be sidelined until at least Sunday afternoon's practice after suffering what appeared to be a right-hand injury Tuesday.

"It's certainly not anything devastating, but I am not going to go into details about what it is," McDaniels said.

There is also the memorial service for Dawkins' longtime defensive coordinator, Jim Johnson, in Philadelphia on Friday. The Broncos are off Saturday.
Marshall update.

It is becoming increasingly unlikely that wide receiver Brandon Marshall will play in the Broncos' preseason opener Aug. 14 in San Francisco. He has missed the past six training camp workouts with a leg injury that may have been related to his offseason hip surgery.

Marshall is scheduled for trial one week from today in Atlanta on misdemeanor battery charges stemming from a March 4, 2008, incident with Rasheedah Watley, his former girlfriend.

If Marshall goes forward with the scheduled one-day trial, his case will be ruled on by a six-person jury in a state courtroom in Atlanta. Marshall is represented by Denver attorney Harvey Steinberg.

Footnotes.

At the urging of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the Broncos began allowing media to Twitter and text during practice Wednesday. That type of communication will cease during the regular season, because all workouts will be closed. . . .

Rulon Davis, an undrafted rookie defensive end who fought in the war in Iraq, did not participate in either practice Wednesday. . . .

A little encouragement for defensive tackle Marcus Thomas: Having started 20 consecutive games dating to 2007, Thomas has been well down on the depth chart as he struggles to find a fit in the Broncos' new 3-4 system. However, Thomas was on the first-team goal line defense Wednesday. "Hopefully, I can stay on it because I didn't do too well in there today," he said. "I need to keep working hard so I can make first-team everything." "

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 08:59 PM
just like all of those "reports" about Josh and Jay.. do you suppose if we went back to them and dissected them we would not see anything "made up"?

I respect good reporting but once it goes past reporting the facts it become conjecture and commentary.. since NO ONE know for sure what has or has not happened I'll believe he is reaching for a Scoop..

you can beleive what ever you so desire..

The quote still stands. To paraphrase: "It's sad what happened to Brian."

That still stands. No one is making it up. That's what Bruton said.

BroncoWave
08-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Yet you are ignoring this quote from McDaniels:

"It's certainly not anything devastating"

I don't think he'd flat come out and say that if it was something really bad.

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Yet you are ignoring this quote from McDaniels:

"It's certainly not anything devastating"

I don't think he'd flat come out and say that if it was something really bad.

I'm not ignoring it...just leery of it.

Catch my drift?

I'm not right or wrong, just confused and worried. Especially since I type this wearing an orange Dawkins jersey...

I was SO stoked Dawkins was a Bronco. I've admired the dude's play for years.

Tned
08-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Denver Post reports Hawkins has broken hand

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/06/dawkins-has-broken-hand/

BroncoWave
08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Well at least he will be fine for the regular season which is most important.

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Denver Post reports Hawkins has broken hand

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/06/dawkins-has-broken-hand/

I bet he plays.

Thanks for the update.

I knew this would come out at some point. Bruton's comments still bug me, though.

Tned
08-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I bet he plays.

Thanks for the update.

I knew this would come out at some point. Bruton's comments still bug me, though.

DP is saying he should be ready by opening day.

dogfish
08-06-2009, 10:16 PM
that sucks. . . pretty much seems to be par for the course, though. . . . :tsk:

T.K.O.
08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
oh shyt ! i want to know HOW he broke it and the severity of the break!
we need him....luckily we need him as much as a mentor as we do a player for the young guys on D.
and he knows what he's doing on the field so missing some camp and preseason action wont affect him like it would some players.
but still.....this sucks !
i'm counting on X to bring some passion and pure fear to this :defense:
heres hoping its a 2-3 week thing !:salute:

rcsodak
08-06-2009, 10:37 PM

1. It's coming from a ROOKIE!

2. It IS sad that he gets to play with the 1's ONLY because BD is out.

3. It's coming from a ROOKIE!

4. By all means, people, just like every other 'non-headline', PLEASE make more out of this than is necessary.

rcsodak
08-06-2009, 10:41 PM

WHY are you being so melodramatic about a few words?

It's "sad" because BD is a player getting on in years, and is relegated to the sidelines.

It's "sad" because BD may not get to play in the 1st PS game.

It's "sad" because when BD goes #1, somebody has to help him with his britches.

Tned
08-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Now DPO is saying he had surgery today for the broken hand, but will return in two weeks.

Italianmobstr7
08-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Now DPO is saying he had surgery today for the broken hand, but will return in two weeks.

ESPN is also reporting it's a 2 week injury. He should be just fine for pre-season game #3.

BroncoWave
08-07-2009, 01:56 AM
MUCH better for it to be hand injury than something like a hammy that could linger all season.

Nomad
08-07-2009, 06:10 AM
that sucks. . . pretty much seems to be par for the course, though. . . . :tsk:

True! Hopefully this incident isn't a sign for things to come. Someone put bad voodoo on the BRONCOS!!

OldschoolFreak
08-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Why Bruton over McBath? For those of you who've made some practices, what has Bruton done to earn the backup spot to Dawkins? I remember reading that McBath was the drafted safety who was to be groomed for the position while Bruton was to be a special teams ace. Did I miss something?