PDA

View Full Version : Dove Valley Days: Rookies get chance to shine

Lonestar
08-05-2009, 09:45 PM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/05/2009 02:13:01 PM MDT
Updated: 08/05/2009 06:42:44 PM MDT

Might be a toss-up between who benefits more from Josh McDaniels' decision to give a handful of veterans a day off: The older guys, who could use the break, or the rookies who get to replace them in practice.

The team's two fourth-round picks, safety David Bruton and guard Seth Olson, each filled in extensively with the first-team units Wednesday. Bruton replaced Brian Dawkins, who is nursing an injury, while Olson played at left guard when Ben Hamilton moved to center in place of Casey Wiegmann, who had the morning off.

"You get an up-close look at the first-team offense, and see the speed of that," Bruton said. "Coming from Notre Dame, we saw good competition, but you never saw the

Broncos running back Peyton Hills during Wednesday morning practice at Dove Valley. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)competition level and the speed like at the pro level."

Lowlight:

Not disclosing information about injuries is a hallmark of "The Patriot Way." It's quickly become the "Bronco Way" too.

A day after saying he would be "very forthcoming" about the status of safety Brian Dawkins, who left the field midway through practice on Tuesday afternoon, McDaniels on Wednesday wouldn't even address what area of Dawkins' body that was injured.

All McDaniels would say is that whatever is ailing Dawkins is "not anything devastating." Glad that's clear.

Quote:

"I wouldn't blow the whistle." Referee Ed Hochuli, when what he would have done differently regarding fumble-gate in the Broncos controversial win against San Diego last September.

Bio: Rookie nose tackle Chris Baker

Even if Chris Baker weren't one of the biggest guys on the Broncos' current 80-man roster, it would be impossible not to spot him during any training camp practice.

He's the one who never stops moving, shaking his 329-body to whatever music might be playing over the loudspeakers. Hip-hop, rock, even country, Baker's the guy to watch. "I like that new dance, 'The stanky leg" and another one, 'The jerk.'"

Baker,

an undrafted rookie who played at Hampton and at Penn State, is hoping coaches notice more than just his sweet moves as he tries to climb the depth chart at nose tackle. He is currently playing behind Ronald Fields, Marcus Thomas and Carlton Powell.
"I feel like I have a good chance, I have to keep going and doing what I've been doing — working hard and knowing my place and using the preseason games and practices to show what I can do."

Camp facts:

The Broncos will practice again at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. The session is free and open to the public. Gates open at 4:30 p.m. The team will hold two practices on Thursday, at 11:15 a.m. at Dove Valley and at 6 p.m. at Invesco Field. Both are free and open to the public. The entire team will sign autographs after the practice at Invesco.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12998469?source=rss

dogfish
08-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Baker, an undrafted rookie who played at Hampton and at Penn State, is hoping coaches notice more than just his sweet moves as he tries to climb the depth chart at nose tackle. He is currently playing behind Ronald Fields, Marcus Thomas and Carlton Powell.

i wish they'd give either thomas or powell a shot at end. . .

Tned
08-06-2009, 12:10 AM
i wish they'd give either thomas or powell a shot at end. . .

In one of the reports on the Mane (I think yesterday), they were talking about Thomas looking good, and I asked if he was playing NT or DE, and they said DE. So, it looks like Thomas is getting a shot at winning the DE spot, but in one of his interviews McD talked about Thomas learning both positions, and that they would be looking for guys that can play end and NT, because they will need guys to slide over and cover if injuries occur within a game.

dogfish
08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
In one of the reports on the Mane (I think yesterday), they were talking about Thomas looking good, and I asked if he was playing NT or DE, and they said DE. So, it looks like Thomas is getting a shot at winning the DE spot, but in one of his interviews McD talked about Thomas learning both positions, and that they would be looking for guys that can play end and NT, because they will need guys to slide over and cover if injuries occur within a game.

that's cool. . . . and naturally i'm all for having as much versatility as possible-- but i hate seeing thomas "wasted" as a backup nosetackle when we probably have other guys who are as suited to the role or more so, and he's possibly our most talented lineman. . . on a line that's pretty short on talent. . . besides which, it potentially clears a spot for baker to have a chance at making the roster, which i'd love to see as he does have solid upside. . .

of course, guys will be filling different roles when we mix in 40 fronts, and maybe in the nickel and dime packages, but i'm just going on the assumption that they want to use the 30 front as a base. . . .

Simple Jaded
08-06-2009, 12:41 AM
With what little they have to work with, let's hope they find a player that can play NT or DE, much less a player that can play both.......