PDA

View Full Version : Dungy sticks to Camera-gate comments

omac
11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1041836

Dungy sticks to Camera-gate comments
By Karen Guregian / Patriots Notebook
Thursday, November 1, 2007 - Updated 13h ago

FOXBORO - Tony Dungy comes across as a man of his word, and the Indianapolis Colts coach wasn’t backing down from some rather critical statements he made with respect to the Patriots [team stats] in wake of Camera-gate in September.

Back then, Dungy claimed it would be “disturbing” if the Pats were found guilty.

“You kind of feel like there is a code of honor, a code of ethics in the league,” he said at the time. “You want to win and you want to do things the right way.”

Dungy also compared the Pats to Barry Bonds, where he said the slugger’s accomplishments were tainted and implied that perhaps the Pats’ were as well.

Yesterday, as his team prepared to host the Patriots in Sunday’s battle of the NFL’s unbeatens, Dungy stood by those remarks.

“To me, that’s what it is,” he said. “That was my opinion at the time and that’s what I believe. I don’t think it takes away from anything they’ve done. It’s just disappointing that it wasn’t a good situation for the league or any of the players in the NFL.”

Dungy, however, did not feel the Pats had an unfair advantage in any of the teams’ playoff meetings.

“No, I don’t think it was an advantage, but it’s just disappointing to me whenever anything comes out (and) the public perception of the game gets hurt, whether it’s us doing it or anybody else, and not because it was the Patriots doing it . . .” Dungy said. “Because our game is on top right now and we’ve got a great thing going, and you want to keep it going, so it’s disappointing.

“Whether it’s an injury to a great player or anything, you just don’t like to see those things happen. But it’s behind us and I don’t think at this point on Sunday anybody’s going to be worried about what happened in the past. They’re going to look at this game and say there are two very, very good teams out there playing.”

Medford Bronco
11-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Not a smart move on Dungys part.

The Pats eat this stuff up and if they have a chance to smoke Indy
they will.

omac
11-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Not a smart move on Dungys part.

The Pats eat this stuff up and if they have a chance to smoke Indy
they will.

The thing with Dungy is, he's a man of principle, and he stands by his beliefs. Gotta admire that. I don't think he's too concerned about losing this game, though.

Winning this game will be big, not only for bragging rights, but it could possibly determine which team gets homefield advantage during the AFC championship.

I'm not sure, though, that either team will do everything they can to win. They might hold some stuff back for the playoffs. This game will give each team a blueprint of the other, so they may not want to reveal their hand this early in the season. This is a big game, but each coach will be looking at it as preparation for their impending meeting in the playoffs.

All of Dungy's actions so far have been in preparation for the playoffs; giving Addai and Harrison extra time to rest, promoting Keith to split carries with Addai. They know they're getting to the playoffs, and they're already getting ready for it.