PDA

View Full Version : Broncos safety Rahim Moore fined $21,000 for Week 1 hit

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2012, 04:12 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Broncos safety Rahim Moore was fined $21,000 for a hit in the team’s season-opening win over the Steelers. Moore was flagged for unnecessary roughness in the fourth quarter after a collision with Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

Moore was cited by the league for striking a defenseless player in the head and neck area.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/09/14/broncos-moore-fined-21000/15670/?source=rsshomeblog

MOtorboat
09-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Ridiculous.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Ridiculous.

Totally agree - especially this

Moore was cited by the league for striking a defenseless player in the head and neck area.

Moore went LOW, and the receiver LOWERED HIS HEAD, causing what happened - Exactly what was Moore suppose to do to avoid this????????

weazel
09-14-2012, 04:21 PM
hahahaha the NFL is so lame...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
From article:

Rahim unnecessarily struck defenseless Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders in the head and neck area Sunday night.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/3-players-fined-21-000-202541644--nfl.html

Heck yes - Rahim's hit was unnecessary - GEEZ - he should NOT have tried to do what he is suppose to do

Day1BroncoFan
09-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Anyone got a video of this? I would love to see what happened. I missed the second half. :sad:

Nomad
09-14-2012, 04:36 PM
BRONCOS (what's up SR:D) should pay that fine for him and tell the kid to keep playing hard.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2012, 04:44 PM
article written Sept. 10th

Rahim Moore held up after an errant pass skipped off the hands of Steelers WR Emmanuel Sanders in the third quarter of Sunday night's game. He actually took the brunt of the collision with Sanders. Yet the second-year Broncos safety was still called for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Sanders.

rest - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20132822/broncos-rahim-moore-might-face-another-fine-for-hit-on-steelers-emmanuel-sanders

weazel
09-14-2012, 04:44 PM
BRONCOS (what's up SR:D) should pay that fine for him and tell the kid to keep playing hard.

I was thinking the same thing

smith49
09-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm all for player safety, but this is FOOTBALL!! Someone needs to clue Goodell and the rest of the policy makers into that fact. I call it the pussification of the nfl. Try not to hit helmets, but with that said, it has to obvious and on purpose to be a penalty IMO.

Nomad
09-14-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm all for player safety, but this is FOOTBALL!! Someone needs to clue Goodell and the rest of the policy makers into that fact. I call it the pussification of the nfl. Try not to hit helmets, but with that said, it has to obvious and on purpose to be a penalty IMO.

Tell the players to quit suing:shrugs:

gregbroncs
09-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Complete BS. That should not have been a penalty. The receiver was not defenseless. If he had caught the ball there would be no fine and no penalty. He ducked his head into Moore.

Northman
09-14-2012, 05:44 PM
He deserved it. It was a way late hit.

LawDog
09-14-2012, 05:52 PM
He deserved it. It was a way late hit.

This is quite possibly more ridiculous than Moore being fined... please tell me you are being intentionally absurd.

topscribe
09-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I see now. This is a way of raising revenue for the NFL. Replays showed that
Rahim Moore did not initiate the contact, but that the receiver went into Moore.
Moreover, it showed that Moore simply braced himself for the contact. So an
asinine replacement-ref call was backed by the absurd fine.

Northman
09-14-2012, 05:57 PM
This is quite possibly more ridiculous than Moore being fined... please tell me you are being intentionally absurd.

Not from what i remember of the hit. Its the same exact circumstance that John Lynch got when he nailed the chiefs player some time back. Doesnt mean i like the rules but they are in place and the hit that Moore put on the guy was late (not too mention helmet to helmet). You can argue all day long about the semantics of one guy lowering his head to brace for a hit but it changes nothing. Ive been saying that very same thing for the last 3 years and now all of a sudden people want to use that line as an excuse? Again, bitch, cry, whine whatever about the rule but thats how they are written at this time but judging from what i saw of that hit it was a good call. I know this because i was extremely pissed that he didnt back off when it was a third and long and immediately gave them a first down.

LawDog
09-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Not from what i remember of the hit. Its the same exact circumstance that John Lynch got when he nailed the chiefs player some time back. Doesnt mean i like the rules but they are in place and the hit that Moore put on the guy was late (not too mention helmet to helmet). You can argue all day long about the semantics of one guy lowering his head to brace for a hit but it changes nothing. Ive been saying that very same thing for the last 3 years and now all of a sudden people want to use that line as an excuse? Again, bitch, cry, whine whatever about the rule but thats how they are written at this time but judging from what i saw of that hit it was a good call. I know this because i was extremely pissed that he didnt back off when it was a third and long and immediately gave them a first down.

I don't know what else to say other than your analogy to Lynch is way off and you are simply wrong on the rest.

Northman
09-14-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't know what else to say other than your analogy to Lynch is way off and you are simply wrong on the rest.

Your opinion, not fact.

topscribe
09-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Way, way off, North. I ran, reran, and ran again the replay. There was no way
Moore could have avoided the hit, and no way he could have avoided the
helmet-to-helmet. The receiver lowered his helmet just before contact. To
back off, Moore would have had to stop in mid-air. No one has done that
since Superman died . . .

LawDog
09-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Anyone got a video of this? I would love to see what happened. I missed the second half. :sad:

http://sportadore.com/Away?u=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FTOZSoTk6

LawDog
09-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Your opinion, not fact.

My opinion is that your opinion is wrong. Better?

topscribe
09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
http://sportadore.com/Away?u=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FTOZSoTk6
The replay shows the crown of the receiver's helmet striking the side of Moore's helmet.

What in the world was the NFL looking at? :confused:

BroncoManiac_69
09-14-2012, 06:27 PM
This is complete crap. I questioned the call at the time of the incident and now this?

I'm sorry, but these replacement officials screwed the pooch all over the league and I think it's totally unprofessional. We need the regular staff back ASAP! These guys running the show right now are incompetent and completely in over their heads.

BroncoJoe
09-14-2012, 06:41 PM
It's a BS call and fine - unavoidable hit by Moore because of how Sanders himself went down.

Moore did try to go low and tried to avoid the head. But he got caught in a difficult spot when Sanders also dipped his head, leading to the helmet-to-helmet hit. Moore was flagged for the hit -- which is going to happen when heads knock -- and Sanders left the game.

Still, it's tough for Moore to do anything else here, with the game moving at full-speed and Sanders dipping down late. Neither player was in a good spot.

tomjonesrocks
09-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Moore himself said it was a bonehead play on his part. It was.

It was pointless and he could have avoided it. I don't think he intended a helmet hit but he didn't even need to make a hit on the play. He could have been paralyzed himself on the hit.

Hope he pays the fine and moves on this time. Get your shit together, Rahim "the Dream".

LawDog
09-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Moore himself said it was a bonehead play on his part. It was.

It was pointless and he could have avoided it.

"It is what it is. Keep working hard, keep playing, do whatever it takes to help the team win," Moore said. "I want to play the game right. I want to do what's right within the rules. But we all make mistakes."

Moore wasn't surprised at the fine; he'd been bracing himself for it since Sunday.

"You look close at the tape, it shows that it wasn't intentional," Moore said. "Got to roll with it, man, try to eliminate those mistakes."

"It's always something in my hits. It's always, like, 'Oh, it didn't look like it,' and I hope they don't fine me, but they can't take the win from us, and that's all that matters," Moore said.

"It's one of those things where you really can't pre-judge it. It's instinct. You react to the man and you try to make the play,"

"I came from the other side of the field. I was flying in so fast and I was trying to close on the ball, just do what my coaches wanted me to do, and just close on the ball," Moore said. "I don't play the game to hurt anybody. I like to play it right and play it fair."

I'm still searching for where Moore is quoted as saying it was a "bonehead" play. Maybe you can post a link, otherwise I call BS.

OrangeHoof
09-14-2012, 07:29 PM
If I'm an NFL defensive player, I should just demand another $100K-$200K be added to my salary in order to pay for bullshit fines I wouldn't have to pay if I was an offensive player. MY JOB is to be there and hit that man so he doesn't advance and there will be times when my helmet is going to hit an opposing players helmet because the speed and momentum of the game means I can't anticipate where everyone else's helmet will be at all times.

If the defenders had total control over their helmets and bodies as they played defense, they should never have violent collisions with teammates and yet we all know that they do. Remember those Bronco safeties at the end of the Super Bowl vs. the Packers. They KO'd each other and we've seen that sort of thing happen many times.

But no matter how violently a player crashes into a teammate, he's never suspended or fined. It's only when he crashes into an offensive player - as if to say his motives for hitting an offensive player is always deliberate but his hits of defensive teammates are just blind coincidences.

Fines like this just tell me how ignorant the NFL is about what their own employees do for a living.

Nomad
09-14-2012, 07:37 PM
OK, people bitch and moan about the NFL making these safety rules but they didn't start getting serious about it until the players started suing. Shouldn't there be some criticism on the players because they know how violent the sport can be especially at the NFL level. NFLPA signs off on these rules as well. Goodell and the NFL side has their cons but when can we start telling the players they are doing it to themselves.

Dzone
09-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Moore is getting as bad rap as a dirty payer and he is not. The play was a football play and thats why they wear helmets. I didnt even need to see a replay to know that Rahim was making a clean play. As top said, you cant just stop in mid air or mid stride.. Those are decisions that are made in micro seconds and have no malicious intent. $21,000? OMG that is asinine. Then fine the receiver too for using his helmet for protection.

shank
09-14-2012, 09:01 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1349620/helmethit_medium.gif

bullshit

Superchop 7
09-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Viper: Top Gun rules of engagement are written for your safety and for that of your team. They are not flexible, nor am I. Either obey them or you are history. Is that clear?

gregbroncs
09-14-2012, 10:01 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1349620/helmethit_medium.gif

bullshitI love how the receiver looks right at him and then lowers his head. Moore is already headed for the ground away from the receiver's head when he shows up in the picture. Too bad for him the receiver decided to get a 1st down another way once he dropped the ball. If Moore is expected to make the split decision, then shouldn't the receiver be expected to make the same decision and avoid helmet contact.

Northman
09-14-2012, 10:45 PM
I love how the receiver looks right at him and then lowers his head. Moore is already headed for the ground away from the receiver's head when he shows up in the picture. Too bad for him the receiver decided to get a 1st down another way once he dropped the ball. If Moore is expected to make the split decision, then shouldn't the receiver be expected to make the same decision and avoid helmet contact.

No.

The rules are not written that way.

Hawgdriver
09-14-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't think Rahim is a dirty player, and it appeared that he was leading not with his head, but with his shoulder.

Sanders either looks like he was discombobulated or he was flopping. If the latter, smart move on his part. It worked. If he flopped, I wish the NFL would stop rewarding this kind of offensive player trickery. It will only end in tears, when officials stop calling flops, even the ones that are real.

It's too close for me to call, but my gut is well on Moore's side.

OrangeHoof
09-14-2012, 11:37 PM
I can't blame the receiver. That's his normal reaction to dropping the pass. His reaction is "crap, I dropped it" and lowers his head. But can someone time the fractions of a second between the time Sanders drops the ball and the time Moore collides with him? First, Moore can't know in that amount of time whether Sanders held onto the ball or not. Secondly, if Sanders is falling and still has the ball, Moore's hit might be what causes an incompletion or a fumble.

He's doing his job. End of story.

shank
09-15-2012, 01:06 AM
i agree with the penalty. at the time it happened, a ref sees helmet to helmet, he needs to throw the flag. But for him to be fined for this hit is the dumbest shit ever.. he was playing low, just like they want him to. the receiver just happened to go low as well, there's ******* nothing a safety doing his job can do in that situation. i hope it doesn't cause rahim to be MIA for the rest of the season like the last time he was fined.

Dzone
09-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Looking at that replay, when you watch just the receiver, it is clear that the receiver is dropping his head and hitting Moore with his head. Bullshit call and bullshit fine.

bcbronc
09-15-2012, 02:12 AM
meh, Moore takes 3 full steps after the ball hits the turf, and then makes initial contact with his head. That play is consistently a fine around the league.

I didn't see it as bang bang. I see the ball hit the receivers hands, the receiver take about two full strides, Moore take about 3 full strides, and then contact with the initial point of contact being Moore's helmet. Yes, it's hard to get the helmet out of the way in that situation, but with the ball already on the ground Moore needs to keep his head up and make his shoulder/chest the point of contact, even if it means taking the worst of the hit. Don't have a problem with the fine, don't really have a problem with the hit. WK1 and he sent a message, now he just has to be smart about it and not give up key 1st downs.

gregbroncs
09-15-2012, 04:41 AM
No.

The rules are not written that way.So....The league can not show any common sense when issuing fines? I get that the refs can't always get it right. But what about a board that has days and days to make a decision?

capt. Jack
09-15-2012, 08:24 AM
That's lame he gets in trouble for these hits, I hope it doesn't change the way he plays. Hit them hard its football. !!!

FlyByU
09-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Love this from Moore
"It's always something in my hits. It's always, like, 'Oh, it didn't look like it,' and I hope they don't fine me, but they can't take the win from us, and that's all that matters,"

As I said before Steve Atwater would be neutered as well as Dennis Smith for they hit just like this even harder. Ronny Lot anyone? This is American Football not Euro Soccer or Rugby. Players know they are going to get hurt that's part of the game that's why they get paid the big money. From now on they need to add into their contracts that the players know that they may get brain damage and even paralyzed if playing football DUH!!! Are people really that stupid or just out for a freebie with these lawsuits?

Northman
09-15-2012, 10:43 AM
So....The league can not show any common sense when issuing fines? I get that the refs can't always get it right. But what about a board that has days and days to make a decision?

Preaching to the choir man. Ive been stating these very things for 3 years but this is the league that the player's work in now. The reality is they just dont care but it doesnt change how the rules are applied. Everything that happened with Moore and Sanders is seen across the league every week. But i guess my biggest problem is had this been Decker or Thomas getting hit by a Steeler player the tune would be vastly different by many posting in this thread.

OrangeHoof
09-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Not to change subjects but I saw ESPN hype a study put out about pro football players and later concussions and dementia, noting players had 3 times greater chance than an average non-athlete. But if you dug into the numbers, the percentage of players studied who developed these problems were 3%.

Yes, 3 out of every 100 develop signs of brain damage or dementia. No, this study only covered players up through the 1980s and the game has only become faster and more violent. But I remember the Steelers and Raiders back in the 70s talking openly about knocking receivers out of the game with concussions so it wasn't candy-ass back then. IMO, the problem is the lack of safer helmets, far more than the way hitting is taught. The fines only serve to prevent players from playing the way they should instinctively play.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2012, 10:45 AM
i agree with the penalty. at the time it happened, a ref sees helmet to helmet, he needs to throw the flag. But for him to be fined for this hit is the dumbest shit ever.. he was playing low, just like they want him to. the receiver just happened to go low as well, there's ******* nothing a safety doing his job can do in that situation. i hope it doesn't cause rahim to be MIA for the rest of the season like the last time he was fined.

I agree - it was a bang bang unreviewable play - therefore, as fast as it happened, I am not blaming the refs for throwing the flag. I am blaming whoever levied the $21,000 fine on Moore. Did they even take the time to review the play in slomo from every angle, or did they just say ok - flag was thrown, Moore was penalized for helmet to helmet = $21,000.

topscribe
09-15-2012, 10:48 AM
meh, Moore takes 3 full steps after the ball hits the turf, and then makes initial contact with his head. That play is consistently a fine around the league.

Wrong. Absolutely wrong. Go look at the replay again. The ball was coming
out the instant before the collision.

And Moore did not make collision with his head. He received it. That is very
obvious. Why in the world would he make the contact with the side of his
head? I played football, and I valued my head more than that. I don't think
Moore is any different in that respect . . .

Preaching to the choir man. Ive been stating these very things for 3 years but this is the league that the player's work in now. The reality is they just dont care but it doesnt change how the rules are applied. Everything that happened with Moore and Sanders is seen across the league every week. But i guess my biggest problem is had this been Decker or Thomas getting hit by a Steeler player the tune would be vastly different by many posting in this thread.
You're not speaking for me, my friend. Had the replay shown that Moore indeed
speared the receiver, my tune would be different with him. I can understand
the mistake by the refs, but not the fine, where they had the advantage of the
replay, which made it obvious that Moore was not guilty of helmet-to-helmet.
I'm not sure what Moore's I.Q. is, but I am fairly certain that he's not so
stupid that he would try to initiate a helmet-to-helmet hit with the side of
his head . . .

OrangeHoof
09-15-2012, 10:53 AM
But i guess my biggest problem is had this been Decker or Thomas getting hit by a Steeler player the tune would be vastly different by many posting in this thread.

You're probably right. My problem, as it is with other personal fouls including "roughing the passer" is that they aren't enforced uniformly. I follow two teams and last year I saw many times when my quarterbacks got the crap kicked out of them after the whistle and the refs did nothing and the commissioners office did nothing yet my defenses get flagged and fined for picky fouls where the QB got right back up and no harm was done. I particularly don't like the "Brady rule" where you can't hit a QB low. If you can't hit them around the head and you can't hit them below the waist, you're leaving a very small target for an onrushing lineman who often has his arms raised to try to deflect the pass.

The "defenseless receiver" rule is way too subjective and unevenly enforced and that's what outrages me. It's one more tool in the official's toolbox to change the outcome of the game.

Ravage!!!
09-15-2012, 10:54 AM
the dumb part about the fine, is that its SOOOO obvious that the Denver player led with this shoulder, and actually TOOK a shot to the side of the helmet from the receiver. How is that leading with the head? What is a player supposed to do with his head, its always going to be in front of him?

summit pass
09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
The people giving out these fines should take a basic physics class because they just don't get that a person can't instantaneously stop motion or change direction within a millisecond. I mean what is he a freaking UFO!

ikillz0mbies
09-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't agree with the fine, but I hope that this doesn't affect Moore's aggressiveness. Remember last year's preseason game? I like Moore a lot and he does still have work to do in terms of coverage, but I love his aggressive style. That's something Denver's defense desperately needs.