PDA

View Full Version : #9 on the list #1 in our hearts- Mile High

Dean
08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
S.I. finally nailed something dealing with the Broncos.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/remember-when/football/25things.html?eref=T1

9. Old Mile High Stadium:
How can you not love a stadium where home fans sustained the world's loudest roar for 10 seconds (a reading of 128.74 decibels in 2000, beating the previous world record by 3.34 decibels)? The fact is Invesco Field, which opened in 2001, simply doesn't generate the noise old Mile High did. Rocky Mountain News columnist Dave Krieger described the old stadium as an erector set. "The upper decks bounced when the people bounced," Krieger wrote. "This scared the bejesus out of novice national TV announcers, who thought the whole thing was about to come apart. They had a tendency to sit down suddenly, as if this would steady things." Denver fans haven't tasted a title in the new stadium: The Broncos last won a Super Bowl in 1998.

It is an interesting read if you want to read Dr. Z.

horsepig
08-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Cool article. Miss the old stadium. We called it "the old gray battleship". It did, however really look like it was built from an erector set.

#26. The Gillette "Old Pro" commercials from the 60's. Some of those were priceless and dealt wuth every sport televised.

Lonestar
08-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Cool article. Miss the old stadium. We called it "the old gray battleship". It did, however really look like it was built from an erector set.

#26. The Gillette "Old Pro" commercials from the 60's. Some of those were priceless and dealt wuth every sport televised.

well it was done over about 4 times

started out as a Baseball stadium for Triple a Teams the Denver Bears..I can remember going to Bears games in the early to mid 50's.. and it seemed old then..

then they added the south stands and supposedly renovated the plumbing in the rest rooms..

once they started to grow they added the east Movable stands that glided on water bearings IIRC. they would crank up the pressure being the concrete pad it all rested on and the support beams that was above the concrete and then they would use hydraulic jack to move into into football mode.. took a couple of days..

then finally they added the upper deck over the old lower deck that was designed for baseball..

might have been one more or one less but that was How I seem remember it..

I moved my south stands season tickets to the upper deck when it was completed..

when we started stomping on the floor that upper deck would sway and rumble..

also it was our job as south standers to harass the visitors coming on and off the field and when we knew they were having coaches meeting just before the game and at half time we would all sit there and stomp on the deck, since it was made out of steel we were told it was like trying to have a meeting under a steel drum..

it was part of home field advantage..

NameUsedBefore
08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Huh. I had no idea the champs played the college all-stars back then.

EMB6903
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I also got a kick out of this one....

"3. Al Davis when he was a football genius"

Denver Native (Carol)
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
http://cedb.asce.org/cgi/WWWdisplay.cgi?7806090

In Denver, a unique 21,000 seat, 9-million pound movable stand is used to convert the Denver Mile High Stadium from baseball to football or soccer. The stands are lifted and move on 163-forty ton water bearings and to date is the largest structure in the world to be moved on fluid-film water bearings. Other alternative movement systems considered were wheel and rail, and air bearings. The stands are moved by two 135-ton hydraulic gripper jacks at an average speed of 2 ft/min which completes a move in less than 2 hours. Highlights of the unique computer analysis, design of the structure, construction and field testing are reported.