PDA

View Full Version : Porter Named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

LTC Pain
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
And well deserved! Keep it up Tracy!!! http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/48326/nfl-honors-tracy-porter

smith49
09-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Porter played like a madman. He was a freaking beast. With BB seemingly scared to even look at champs side of the field, it makes Porters performance even bigger IMO.

Dzone
09-12-2012, 07:34 PM
freakin awesome. Hall of fame performance.

EMB6903
09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
5 passes defensed in a game is ridiculous.

NorCalBronco7
09-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Man, I was so excited when the Broncos signed Porter. He came cheap and only for one year, but Ive seen him a bunch and Ive loved his game in NO. Im not surprised at all at his performance Sunday night, other than his tackling. Porter has never been the best tackler, but Im postive Del Rio taught him a thing or two. Really, Porter has the talent to be a pro bowler, but he needs to stay healthy. Hes missed quite a few games over his career. Reguardless, the Broncos should resign Porter. Hes a great fit and hes seems have his shit together.

BroncoWave
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't break out the checkbook just yet but if he keeps up this level of play we should definitely lock him down to an extension before the end of the year.

Simple Jaded
09-12-2012, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't break out the checkbook just yet but if he keeps up this level of play we should definitely lock him down to an extension before the end of the year.

If for no other reason than his past injuries, you're probably right, but the longer they wait the more it will cost if he stays healthy. Knock on wood.

He had his hands on two other int's.

The best pass defensed was the play where he is stride for stride with the best deep threat in the league.

I'm not sure he plays as well against Jones and White tho.......

Dzone
09-13-2012, 11:27 AM
What we hoped Dre Bly to be.

slim
09-13-2012, 11:36 AM
A few of the those "pass break ups" were really dropped interceptions.

Get some stickum, Tracy and that game is a blowout.

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 11:37 AM
champ is going to see more balls this year, I hope he is not rusty.

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 11:43 AM
porter is a great addition to the defense. opponents always avoided champ, now they can avoid BOTH and just keep passing to their tight ends and backs, as well as run the ball right up the middle.
NFL coaches watch film, just in case you live in a cave with internet !
they will attack our weaknesses! those NOW, as they were last year, covering a TE and stopping the RUN.
hello, a problem we FAILED to adress in the off-season!
"if you cant stop 'em, outscore 'em"
where can I get my comMemorative T-SHIRT?
Oh, thats right, its at

dan fouts superbowl store.com

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 11:47 AM

no, he is not rusty, diquad, he has been spending time off season at turkish baths so he is use to seeing more balls.
champ will be fine, he is gods gift to the broncos and the greatest defender to ever walk the planet, unless you count superman and the USA nuclear threat !

weazel
09-13-2012, 11:47 AM
you mean Florence didn't win it??

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 11:50 AM
... back to porter, congradulations, well deserved.

weazel
09-13-2012, 11:56 AM

you must not have seen him make that block on the slant at the goal line, only a hand full of corners make that play.

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 12:13 PM
you must not have seen him make that block on the slant at the goal line, only a hand full of corners make that play.
I saw it.
great anticipation, great play !
But a top tier WR is going to run his route across the face of his defender, blocking him out from the path of the ball. and a bigger, stronger WR and a higher back shoulder throw will beat champ and use his anticipation against him !
a top tier QB and WR will watch that great play that champ made and discuss how they can exploit it !
Bravo champ, great play, one play, there is an entire season ahead and you are going to see alot more attempts now that there is NOT a patsy on the other side of the field and teams with TWO top WR are going to take their shots !
ATL this MNF is going to be the first test !
this year, champ will have to earn his re-occuring pro-bowl berth on performance, NOT just reputation !
I hope he does, so diquads like zambini will shut the F up !

Thnikkaman
09-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Props to Zam for calling out himself.

weazel
09-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I saw it.
great anticipation, great play !
But a top tier WR is going to run his route across the face of his defender, blocking him out from the path of the ball. and a bigger, stronger WR and a higher back shoulder throw will beat champ and use his anticipation against him !
a top tier QB and WR will watch that great play that champ made and discuss how they can exploit it !
Bravo champ, great play, one play, there is an entire season ahead and you are going to see alot more attempts now that there is NOT a patsy on the other side of the field and teams with TWO top WR are going to take their shots !
ATL this MNF is going to be the first test !
this year, champ will have to earn his re-occuring pro-bowl berth on performance, NOT just reputation !
I hope he does, so diquads like zambini will shut the F up !

I know, its one play and he will get beat on it the rest of the season because Rothlisberger isn't a top tier QB... :tsk: Its just too bad we couldnt sign Lance Armstrong to replace Champ. :elefant:

DenBronx
09-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Porter and Bailey....I could get used to this. We finally have a solid DB opposite Champ. Some of you are thinking DWill was that guy, God rest his soul but he got toasted alot. Dre Bly was a disaster and never was worth the money. Goodman could intercept but he gave up big plays all the time. Porter at least defended the deep ball very well and as we all know, he can change the game too.

Now QBs will be forced to throw to Champ. Whenever we get a lead in the game and begin to rush/blitz alot then I can see our DBs making alot of big plays. Getting Porter looks to be a great move on our end.

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Porter and Bailey....I could get used to this. We finally have a solid DB opposite Champ. Some of you are thinking DWill was that guy, God rest his soul but he got toasted alot. Dre Bly was a disaster and never was worth the money. Goodman could intercept but he gave up big plays all the time. Porter at least defended the deep ball very well and as we all know, he can change the game too.

Now QBs will be forced to throw to Champ. Whenever we get a lead in the game and begin to rush/blitz alot then I can see our DBs making alot of big plays. Getting Porter looks to be a great move on our end.

Now QBs will be forced to throw to Champ"
this is not even close to being correct! They will not be forced to throw at champ, they will be COMPELLED to seek an alternative to their wide-outs ! and our pathetic TE coverage will be staring right at them when they do their film study !
soon our poor run defense will be on display as well !
champ made a living on being IGNORED the last 10 years... good for him and his pro bowl selections !
why throw at champ when you have guys like GOODMAN on the other side of the field with a huge target on one side of their jersey and a billboard that reads "this way to a touchdown" on the other?
Now, Champ will get more opportunities to PROVE to the world what an idiot I am !

but... teams that can run the ball and hit their TEs will not have to bother with either champ or Porter !!!

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 01:44 PM
I know, its one play and he will get beat on it the rest of the season because Rothlisberger isn't a top tier QB... :tsk: Its just too bad we couldnt sign Lance Armstrong to replace Champ. :elefant:you see you missed my point,
the difference in FUTURE SLANTS run against champ is in the performance of the WR, making sure he cuts across the face of champ, and both QB and WR recognizing champs ball hawk skill and using it against him by making the throw high and slightly BEHIND instead of in front and leading to the right.
they will use champs ball hawk skills and hero complex against him, just like rottenberger did oin the AFC play-off game with a simple shoulder shrug !
I ghuess you have your hero worship and I have mine, that point you made very clear.
I wish champ all the best and all the success on the field, sorry, I dont worship him, met him, was not impressed with him as a human being, but that was a long time ago, I am sure he has matured.
he is an original member of the BIG forehead club, along with PM, those to could host a drive in movie on their domes !

Ravage!!!
09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
this is not even close to being correct! They will not be forced to throw at champ, they will be COMPELLED to seek an alternative to their wide-outs ! and our pathetic TE coverage will be staring right at them when they do their film study !
champ made a living on being IGNORED the last 10 years... good for him and his pro bowl selections !
why throw at champ when you have guys like GOODMAN on the other side of the field with a huge target on one side of their jersey and a billboard that reads "this way to a touchdown" on the other?
Now, Champ will get more opportunities to PROVE to the world what an idiot I am !

but... teams that can run the ball and hit their TEs will not have to bother with either champ or Porter !!!

I see. So you are saying the teams that have two good WRs, a good TE, and a good running game won't have to bother throwing at Champ and Porter, they can just run the ball and throw to the TE all night long....right?

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 02:02 PM
I see. So you are saying the teams that have two good WRs, a good TE, and a good running game won't have to bother throwing at Champ and Porter, they can just run the ball and throw to the TE all night long....right?
BINGO! the path of least resistence ! exploit the weaknesses, avoid the strengths !
TE coverage is a wekness.
stopping the run is a weakness.
yes, the TE and the run game will be a prominent part of all our opponents gameplan, going forward.
it also moves the chauns and keeps PM on the sideline.
will they TEST both porter and champ?
yes of course, they will take their shots, especially on third and long! they have faith in their WR 3 good ones BTW, and RYAN is an ecellent QB that throws a very nice deep ball.
But if they can get mike turner and the rest of their run game going, why bother/
if we cant cover TG or their OTHER TE why bother?
only ego.
proper strategy dictates you attack a team at their weakest link, see goodman against the PATS for details !

Ravage!!!
09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
BINGO! the path of least resistence ! exploit the weaknesses, avoid the strengths !
TE coverage is a wekness.
stopping the run is a weakness.
yes, the TE and the run game will be a prominent part of all our opponents gameplan, going forward.
it also moves the chauns and keeps PM on the sideline.
will they TEST both porter and champ?
yes of course, they will take their shots, especially on third and long! they have faith in their WR 3 good ones BTW, and RYAN is an ecellent QB that throws a very nice deep ball.
But if they can get mike turner and the rest of their run game going, why bother/
if we cant cover TG or their OTHER TE why bother?
only ego.
proper strategy dictates you attack a team at their weakest link, see goodman against the PATS for details !

I see. So there are no other ways to stop the amazing TE but with pure cover 1. There is no stopping the run, thus, everything is is just a downward spiral.

I think you are completely exaggerating the realities of how defensive schemes can dictate. There is more than one way to handle TEs other than purely expecting a LB to cover him one-on-one. I don't think Atlanta's run game is nearly as strong as you are letting on. Can we stop the run? Geez, to say "no" is just absurd at this point.

Posters around here kept telling me just how awful our OL was, and how manning wouldn't find time to throw the ball against Pitt, and how they would just come RUNNING up the middle at Manning all game long. Now that didn't happen game one, we are saying "OMG.we can't stop the run and can't cover the TE and all everyone is going to do is avoid Champ and Porter"... (well, yeah, especiallyl since Champ isn't playing safety, they could simply avoid him anyway...the slacker).

Its just so much exaggeration, hyperbole, and "the sky is falling"....

DenBronx
09-15-2012, 01:10 AM

Then those teams that do that will become one demensional...if we evvver evvver get the lead early then you bet your balls they will test our DBs. Not all teams run dual TE sets like NE. Atl doesnt run dual TEs and they depend on their WRs more than Tony Gonzalez. So you sir are wrong here.

And by the way....Champs been tested and thrown at before.