PDA

View Full Version : Some Tidbits From the Steelers Game

Ziggy
09-12-2012, 02:00 AM
1. The Broncos didn't punt after the first quarter.
2. The Broncos have been preaching balance all through the offseason. In this game they had 27 runs, 26 passes.
3. Peyton Manning went 57 minutes between passes at one point in the game.
4. Demaryus Thomas has 9 receptions for 315 yards(35 ypc ave) and 2 TDs in his last 2 games.
5. Peyton Manning is the fastest QB to reach 400 TD's in NFL history- despite missing a full season.
6. The Broncos offensive line did not give up a sack after the first quarter.
7. 3 of the Broncos 5 sacks on Big Ben came on the last drive of the game, and 1 came on the first drive.
8. All of Denver's points on offense came out of the no huddle.
9. On Pittsburgh's last 3 offensive series, the Broncos played with 3 safeties on the field. (Moore, Leonhard, and Adams) The Steelers were 0 for 2 on third downs on those 3 drives. They were 11 for 17 prior to that.
10. When Roethlisberger wasn’t blitzed, he had a quarterback rating of 113.7. When he was blitzed, his quarterback rating was down to 28.6. (from PFF)

OrangeHoof
09-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Good stuff. Apparently, the Broncos were not expecting to use no-huddle except as a change-of-pace coming into the game but saw that it worked so well that they simply went to it full time.

I know the Falcons have three top corners so you may see the Broncos use the run more and use more screens and draws. But it does seem that Manning has the ability to adjust the game plan based on what works which is a good sign.

MOtorboat
09-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I watched that sequence where Manning toyed with Polamalu that ended up with the Broncos running away from him for a decent gain.

That type of stuff is awesome to see.

Ziggy
09-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Good stuff. Apparently, the Broncos were not expecting to use no-huddle except as a change-of-pace coming into the game but saw that it worked so well that they simply went to it full time.

I know the Falcons have three top corners so you may see the Broncos use the run more and use more screens and draws. But it does seem that Manning has the ability to adjust the game plan based on what works which is a good sign.

They lost thier best corner to injury. Grimes is out.

jhildebrand
09-12-2012, 11:56 AM
10. When Roethlisberger wasn’t blitzed, he had a quarterback rating of 113.7. When he was blitzed, his quarterback rating was down to 28.6. (from PFF)

Wow! :eek: It felt the opposite to me watching the game. I poste in another thread how it seeme like when the team rushed 4 Ben was less efective. North, I think, commented that he saw the opposite. This definitely shows that to be the case. I just didnt expect the rating to be as low as 28.6. Ben had a pretty darn good game until the pick!

Chef Zambini
09-12-2012, 12:27 PM
I watched that sequence where Manning toyed with Polamalu that ended up with the Broncos running away from him for a decent gain.

PM, brains and talent! what a contrast to what we witnessed last year !
manning is the bobby fischer of the grid-iron !
that car commercial where he relies on the car to make decisions about where he is going is total BS!
manning knows all the routes all the alternatives, the commercial should be,

' ON STAR, for everyone that isn't PEYTON MANNING"

silkamilkamonico
09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
What constitutes a "blitz" exactly? Is it more than 4 people rushing? Is it someone other than a DL rushing?

Chef Zambini
09-12-2012, 12:30 PM
9. On Pittsburgh's last 3 offensive series, the Broncos played with 3 safeties on the field. (Moore, Leonhard, and Adams) The Steelers were 0 for 2 on third downs on those 3 drives. They were 11 for 17 prior to that.

LEARNING CURVE
ADJUSTMENTS,
just what I expect from JDR and FOX !

Chef Zambini
09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
What constitutes a "blitz" exactly? Is it more than 4 people rushing? Is it someone other than a DL rushing?yes. more than 4 constitutes a blitz.
if a LB blitzes (the manuever of attacking the passer, but a lineman drops back in coverage, it is not considered a blitz in the stats. good question!
a team that runs a standard 3-4 front, the fourth rusher would constitute a blitz.
it really comes down to how many defenders are lined up on the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball, if more than that # rushes the passer, it constitutes a blitz.

CoachChaz
09-12-2012, 12:39 PM

LEARNING CURVE
ADJUSTMENTS,
just what I expect from JDR and FOX !

The big nickel package should have been used sooner. Whether it's Harris or Leonhard, they needed someone out there to help with coverage. Since Miller rushes from the LB spot, they should take DL off the field in this package and have Woodyard replace Mays. It's really the only way to contacin teams with athletic TE's

Ziggy
09-12-2012, 12:42 PM
The big nickel package should have been used sooner. Whether it's Harris or Leonhard, they needed someone out there to help with coverage. Since Miller rushes from the LB spot, they should take DL off the field in this package and have Woodyard replace Mays. It's really the only way to contacin teams with athletic TE's

I'd rather see Woodyard stay out there, and Trevathan replace Mays in the 4-2-5.

silkamilkamonico
09-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Woodyard was terrible, especially in coverage. Personally responsible for 2 terrible coverages in 3rd and long. He got beat bad on a simple inside move on the 3rd and 18 which you could have seen coming before it even happened. Keep Woodyard off the field.

Ravage!!!
09-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Woodyard was terrible, especially in coverage. Personally responsible for 2 terrible coverages in 3rd and long. He got beat bad on a simple inside move on the 3rd and 18 which you could have seen coming before it even happened. Keep Woodyard off the field.

Agreed. The defense will improve when DJ gets back. Thats for sure.

DenBronx
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
1. The Broncos didn't punt after the first quarter.
2. The Broncos have been preaching balance all through the offseason. In this game they had 27 runs, 26 passes.
3. Peyton Manning went 57 minutes between passes at one point in the game.
4. Demaryus Thomas has 9 receptions for 315 yards(35 ypc ave) and 2 TDs in his last 2 games.
5. Peyton Manning is the fastest QB to reach 400 TD's in NFL history- despite missing a full season.
6. The Broncos offensive line did not give up a sack after the first quarter.
7. 3 of the Broncos 5 sacks on Big Ben came on the last drive of the game, and 1 came on the first drive.
8. All of Denver's points on offense came out of the no huddle.

Please don't post facts in here. It will confuse the goon squad.

DenBronx
09-12-2012, 01:48 PM

I had to watch that play 3x. Manning is a master at reading defenses and he knows when to change a play. I saw him do this for years but it's amazing when he's actually doing it for your team. I hope he really embeds this into Brocks skull. Manning has perfect mechanics for a QB but he also beats you with his mind and that's a deadly combo for any NFL defense.

blamkin86
09-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Agreed. The defense will improve when DJ gets back. Thats for sure.

Well, I thought DJ was cut, but you're right:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/8/31/3284301/denver-broncos-2012-roster-cuts-the-rest-of-the-story

If we activate him, does someone else get cut?

BroncoJoe
09-12-2012, 02:32 PM

My personal favorite part of the game.

Chef Zambini
09-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Woodyard was terrible, especially in coverage. Personally responsible for 2 terrible coverages in 3rd and long. He got beat bad on a simple inside move on the 3rd and 18 which you could have seen coming before it even happened. Keep Woodyard off the field.woodyard led the team in tackles !
thats an odd kind of terrible.
if he was a corner, tackling his own man after a catch, that would be one thing, but woodyard , mostly in zone coverage was one of the few that did his job.

Davii
09-12-2012, 02:56 PM

It was magical. Quite honestly it was probably my favorite part of the whole game. I was just thinking, that's one of the best defenders in the NFL at getting people in place, etc, and Manning is making him look the fool.

FanInAZ
09-12-2012, 03:06 PM

All of this sounds great, until you stop to consider that having to blitz on every down in order to be able to get pressure on the QB leaves your D extremely vulnerable to opponents with veteran QB who have the weapons necessary to exploit your D. In fact, there are teams that want you to blitz because their blitz pick up schemes are so effective. This is what happened to us year after year when Shanny was our HC. Yes, we would make it to the play-offs, but then we would have to “pay the Piper” once we got there.

Ziggy
09-12-2012, 03:17 PM
All of this sounds great, until you stop to consider that having to blitz on every down in order to be able to get pressure on the QB leaves your D extremely vulnerable to opponents with veteran QB who have the weapons necessary to exploit your D. In fact, there are teams that want you to blitz because their blitz pick up schemes are so effective. This is what happened to us year after year when Shanny was our HC. Yes, we would make it to the play-offs, but then we would have to “pay the Piper” once we got there.

That's apples to oranges. Our pass rushers and corners are far more talented than they were in the years that Shanny was going blitz crazy. Those same pass rushers and corners are also the reason that Rothlisberger was so bad when we did blitz.

Ravage!!!
09-12-2012, 03:54 PM
woodyard led the team in tackles !
if he was a corner, tackling his own man after a catch, that would be one thing, but woodyard , mostly in zone coverage was one of the few that did his job.

Mostly in zone coverage. How do you figure that?

If they run his direction, then it makes sense that he's at the top in leading tackling. DJ always leads the team in tackles, and you guys bitch about him. So what is it?

Woodyard is not a very good LB, and will always be a guy off the bench. He's a good special teams cover man, though.

FanInAZ
09-12-2012, 04:00 PM
That's apples to oranges. Our pass rushers and corners are far more talented than they were in the years that Shanny was going blitz crazy. Those same pass rushers and corners are also the reason that Rothlisberger was so bad when we did blitz.

The biggest improvement that we do have in our pass rush since the Shanny years is that we have legitimate pass rushers on the DL. The problem we had the last few years was that those DL pass rushers couldn't stop the run. Trying to find players that can do both is hard, but I'd defiantly like to see us getting more pressure with just our DL.

silkamilkamonico
09-12-2012, 04:11 PM
woodyard led the team in tackles !

Woodyard has been around how many years, and every year the staff looks to replace him. That is an odd kinf of terible, unles syour backing out on your original theory of our LB's are bad, which seems to be validated by the long 3rd down conversions, 2 that happened on Woodyard's guy. 3rd and 18.....should NEVER happen period. Even the announcers were bagging on him for that one. Good special teams player, but we need LB's bad....he is not an answer.

Ziggy
09-12-2012, 04:13 PM
The biggest improvement that we do have in our pass rush since the Shanny years is that we have legitimate pass rushers on the DL. The problem we had the last few years was that those DL pass rushers couldn't stop the run. Trying to find players that can do both is hard, but I'd defiantly like to see us getting more pressure with just our DL.

Our Dline did fine. Find me another team that had 5 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 9 TFL. That doesn't happen unless your Dline is eating up blockers and making plays. Von Miller was lined up as a Dlineman on a lot of those plays. Throw in the fact that Big Ben was the QB and it changes things even more. The case can be made that any other QB in that game would have been sacked at least 8 times. No QB extends a play as well as Ben does.

GEM
09-13-2012, 10:00 AM

It was funny to watch Polamalu's frustration. :D

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 12:00 PM
did I say woodyard was a pro-bowler, NO !
But he is the best we have in the middle, take that for what its worth.
For MONTHS I have been harping at poor lack of talent at the LB position, especially in the middle !
woodyard played his heart out!
hustles like he always does, trying to make up a lack of talent with an abundance of desire and effort.
I wont bash a guy like that!
now a guy like GOODMAN who would just run alongside a ball carrier?
that deserves the moniker TERRIBLE !

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 12:02 PM
as for our D-line:
the steelers had no run game
they have had issues at OL for 2 seasons and counting.
BB holds on to the ball too long
... and lest see how they do against the falcons before we hold a parade in their honor !

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 12:03 PM
... wolfe, however is a great addition to the TEAM !
good pick JE and staff !

Dzone
09-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Chris Harris in a boot and not at practice today.Not expected to practice this week. Could see more Tony Carter

GEM
09-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Chris Harris in a boot and not at practice today.Not expected to practice this week. Could see more Tony Carter

I like Harris. That sucks. :(