PDA

View Full Version : koppen a bronco?

LJD
09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Has anyone else heard that we signed koppen who played his career with the patriots?

Hardwired
09-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting we did. To a 1-year deal.

chazoe60
09-10-2012, 09:54 PM
No. Hadn't heard that.

chazoe60
09-10-2012, 09:55 PM
If it's true I like it. We have good history with BC centers. ;)

LJD
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I wonder if he would start or if it's for insurance only.

chazoe60
09-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I wonder if he would start or if it's for insurance only.

He's gonna be so far behind in learning the offense, but I think he's probably better than Walton who is our weak link on the line IMHO.

Rick
09-10-2012, 10:15 PM
It can't be ignored either, that even though Walton may not be as great of a blocker as another guy right now, the QB-center exchange is so important.

I would be reluctant to toss another center out there at this point when manning and Walton have worked the entire off season together.

Davii
09-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Interesting... I would be happier if they signed a DT...

rationalfan
09-10-2012, 10:26 PM
this feels like a signing for depth.

TXBRONC
09-10-2012, 10:30 PM
It's not a big deal.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Dan Koppen, a former all-pro center who started 120 games in nine seasons for the New England Patriots before he was released two weeks ago, has agreed to terms with the Broncos, according to an NFL source.

Koppen will turn 33 Wednesday and missed most of last season with a fractured ankle suffered in the Patriots' first game. But even if Koppen isn't the same physically, his expertise in calling out protection schemes in the Patriots' no-huddle offense may be why he drew the Broncos' interest.

The Broncos and quarterback Peyton Manning executed the no-huddle well in a 31-19 win Sunday night against the Pittsburgh Steelers. However, there were a couple protection breakdowns against the Steelers that were caused by miscommunication.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_21512091/broncos-sign-veteran-center-dan-koppen

ikillz0mbies
09-10-2012, 11:13 PM
LOVE this move. Adds depth and veteran insurance, plus his experience in a no-huddle offense definitely helps Manning and co.

Jsteve01
09-10-2012, 11:30 PM
I've been saying for three years that we needed a veteran center on the roster and that was before Walton showed just how bad he is. I wanted Mawae in Walton's rookie season. I honestly don't know why some of these good veteran centers just fall off the map. I'm praying Koppen's ankle is recovered. If so by week 4, we could have a totally revamped interior line of Kuper, Koppen and Ramirez. Who is easily outplaying walton and Beadles so far.

BroncoWave
09-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Beadles did make that great block on DT's touchdown. That kind of effort can't be ignored.

Davii
09-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Beadles did make that great block on DT's touchdown. That kind of effort can't be ignored.

A guard blocking 20 yards down field! Mad credit.

Dzone
09-11-2012, 01:01 AM
I know I read somewhere that last year Zane Beadles allowed more quarterback pressures than any other lineman in the NFL. That kind of ineptitude cannot be ignored. I think Walton had some equally dismal grades last year.
You sure cant say Walton looks very intimidating in a football uniform.
Damn Koppen brings some serious big game experience. Perfect!
Koppen snapped to Tom Brady (and Matt Cassel) in 120 regular season games and three Super Bowls from 2003-2011. Now he has the chance to snap to Peyton Manning.

Superchop 7
09-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I will be interested to see what he has left in the tank.....very smart player.....does not do well against powerful DTs.

slim
09-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Sounds about right.

Tom Brady: There's only one butt on this planet I like: Koppen's....

Denver Native (Carol)
09-11-2012, 01:33 PM
The Broncos are expected to sign veteran center Dan Koppen today. I have been told his signing is for depth reasons — not to replace anyone in the starting lineup.

In fact, Broncos’ coaches gave center J.D. Walton a high grade in the team’s season-opening 31-19 win Sunday night against Pittsburgh. Walton has started all 35 games, including playoffs, the Broncos have played since the team selected him in the third round of the 2010 draft.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/09/11/jd-walton-expected-remain-starting-center/15612/

tomjonesrocks
09-11-2012, 01:36 PM
It's too bad the team didn't do a better job recruiting Saturday. Seems they're acknowledging Walton isn't impressing them.

slim
09-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Well, it would be pretty difficult to come in off the street and be a starter. But I think the fact that they drafted a C, pursued Jeff Saturday and now have signed Koppen, kind of tells us how they really feel about Walton.

CoachChaz
09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
In all honesty, he really didnt play bad on Sunday and seemed to do a good job making the calls on the line. We'll see if it lasts

hotcarl
09-11-2012, 01:55 PM
i just bought a koppen jersey, this guy is the real deal

Cugel
09-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Koppen played at Boston College, where he was coached by current Broncos offensive line coach Dave Magazu. With starting guard Chris Kuper recovering from a broken forearm, the Broncos were thin in backup lineman with NFL experience.

Here's the key part of that story. He has a history with the Broncos OL coach who coached him in college and probably liked him all these years. Now that the Broncos are looking to add some depth at the OL, they ask their position coach and he says "Yeah! I've known Dan Koppen ever since I coached him at Boston College 10 years ago. He's a great guy who's a real pro. He'd help us out."

And so they sign him to upgrade the roster.

He's not going to start over Walton. Not yet. But, just as obviously this is NOT a big vote of confidence in J.D. Walton. You don't see them signing veteran backup OTs despite having only 3 on the entire roster (Chris Clark is the only backup OT).

But, all this begs the question "why is the Broncos OL considered in need of strengthening? What are they going to do when Kuper comes off IR?"

Some of these young linemen are going to have to be waived. And who's going to get cut when TE Virgil Green comes back after his 4 game suspension? A TE? Or will they go with 4 TEs (which they would probably like to do given that they use 2 of them at a time on many plays and only have 3 on the current roster), and cut another position?

I would cut Phillip Blake and put him on the P.S. because he has done nothing so far to show he's going to be any good in the future. But, Elway seems to love all his draft picks so maybe they keep him on the roster even though he doesn't even dress on game day, and God help Peyton Manning if they ever have to start Phillip Blake!

Maybe they know something, but I don't see how he fails to clear waivers and make it onto the practice squad.

Fullback32
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
A veteran presence like Koppen is goodness. Even if he doesn't start right away, his experience will be huge in developing a younger center.

Joel
09-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Koppen was very good for a long time; if 100% he could be a critical addition, and probably isn't costing much regardless. Hard to argue with this move, especially when all we have there now is the awful Walton.

He did, and as someone who has been down on Beadles for a long time I am obligated to say I was absolutely floored by that. Our whole line played fantastically Sunday, at least in pass protection, but it will take more than one game to erase my memories of Beadles and Waltons last 33 starts.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I know I read somewhere that last year Zane Beadles allowed more quarterback pressures than any other lineman in the NFL. That kind of ineptitude cannot be ignored. I think Walton had some equally dismal grades last year.
You sure cant say Walton looks very intimidating in a football uniform.
Damn Koppen brings some serious big game experience. Perfect!I heard much the same thing on the radio, something like 34 sacks/pressures on the season. However, let's see how they do with Manning at QB.......