PDA

View Full Version : Dre Bly dishes on last year's efense

dogfish
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Now it can be told

The Broncos' defense allowed 28.0 points per game last season to rank 30th in the 32-team NFL. Former Broncos cornerback Dre Bly, now playing for the San Francisco 49ers, directed much of the blame at the scheme devised by former Denver defensive coordinator Bob Slowik.

"Defensively, we were awful," Bly told the San Jose Mercury News. "The D-coordinator — not to blame anything on him — but we didn't really have the personnel for what he was trying to run. We were too soft in coverage. And when you have two corners like me and Champ, you can't be soft in coverage. We were into disguising a lot, and it just didn't work."

The "soft" coverage gripe was first presented by cornerback Karl Paymah after the Broncos' 26-17 home loss to Miami. In that game, Dolphins receiver Greg Camarillo had 11 catches for 111 yards. Paymah said he was ordered to back off and allow Camarillo to catch the ball in front of him.
The Broncos' defense posted a league-low 13 takeaways last year.

"It made it look like I was probably soft in coverage, like I was scared," Bly said. "I ain't scared of nobody.

"I didn't want to bring any conflict or any beef to the team. I did what I had to do. But it ended up hurting me at the end."

In defense of the Broncos' defensive coaches, they held season-ending evaluations of their players before they would be fired along with head coach Mike Shanahan.

According to one coach, the consensus was the first player that had to be replaced was Bly, who made roughly $17 million in his two years here.

Bly was released.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12993576

no shit! truth!

slim
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
"I ain't scared of nobody" - LOL

Then why doesn't he tackle? Maybe he's just lazy?

wbmustang
08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
The main memory I have of Dre Bly is getting torched by Brett Favre in OT in Denver a couple of years ago. I mean he was alright but not worth all the money we paid to scoop him up. Even though we still probably got the best out of that trade with the Lions lol.

LRtagger
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of Bly, but he stepped his game up when Champ was out IMO.

I don't think any of us will argue his points about Slowik.

TXBRONC
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Thankfully Slowik is gone and now we have a defensive coordinator that likes to play aggressively.

G_Money
08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
A while back Dre Bly played with a separated shoulder, making interceptions and yes tackling or directing the ball carrier to another tackler, because Champ was out injured and he knew he needed to be on the field. He was a one-armed defender and probably the best defender on the field that day.

I may think he tackles like a 10 year old girl but I don't question his heart, and the scheme we ran (play soft, not aggressive, make sure tackles, do not gamble) is the antithesis of Bly's game. It's also IMO the reason JMFW looked so horrible. They're gamblers and pressers, not lay-back-and-let-the-play-be-made-in-front-of-you prevent defenders.

Bly's right - he took one for the team, and was the voice of the locker room to the press, especially for the defense, even though the scheme made him look like a complete wanker.

And it got him fired.

I wish him better luck with the 49ers. I think Singletary should be able to get more out of him.

~G

D1g1tal j1m
08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Bly must have heard me as I screamed that at my t.v. everytime I watched that mess last year.

Lonestar
08-05-2009, 03:55 PM
A while back Dre Bly played with a separated shoulder, making interceptions and yes tackling or directing the ball carrier to another tackler, because Champ was out injured and he knew he needed to be on the field. He was a one-armed defender and probably the best defender on the field that day.

I may think he tackles like a 10 year old girl but I don't question his heart, and the scheme we ran (play soft, not aggressive, make sure tackles, do not gamble) is the antithesis of Bly's game. It's also IMO the reason JMFW looked so horrible. They're gamblers and pressers, not lay-back-and-let-the-play-be-made-in-front-of-you prevent defenders.

Bly's right - he took one for the team, and was the voice of the locker room to the press, especially for the defense, even though the scheme made him look like a complete wanker.

And it got him fired.

I wish him better luck with the 49ers. I think Singletary should be able to get more out of him.
~G

well that should not be hard..

Ravage!!!
08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
The main memory I have of Dre Bly is getting torched by Brett Favre in OT in Denver a couple of years ago. I mean he was alright but not worth all the money we paid to scoop him up. Even though we still probably got the best out of that trade with the Lions lol.

yeah... I have one of Champ getting beat early on a long ball, in that same game.....:mad:

dogfish
08-05-2009, 05:50 PM
yeah... I have one of Champ getting beat early on a long ball, in that same game.....:mad:

that's a cornerback's lot in life-- people only remember the ones you give up. . . . :laugh:

Dreadnought
08-05-2009, 06:10 PM
that's a cornerback's lot in life-- people only remember the ones you give up. . . . :laugh:

It must have been beyond frustrating for any CB ever to play to be forced to operate in a system almost guaranteed to make them look like stiffs though. I can understand Bly and Paymah going near out of their minds. To get eaten up by...Greg friggin' Camarillo?! And required to let him keep doing it in front of millions of fans?! I might take to strong drink personally.

Ravage!!!
08-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Now THAT, is the absolute truth!

horsepig
08-05-2009, 08:45 PM

And it got him fired.

~G

Very good post, ty, G.

EMB6903
08-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Dre Bly was horrible.... probably the worst tackling CB ive ever seen play the game...

slim
08-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Dre Bly was horrible.... probably the worst tackling CB ive ever seen play the game...

He didn't earn his pay check the last two years, that is not debatable.

Blaming his play on "scheme" is laughable.

dogfish
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
alright guys, let's focus-- this thread is for making fun of slowick!

:welcome:

slim
08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
alright guys, let's focus-- this thread is for making fun of slowick!

:welcome:

Yeah, that's kinda like beating up a retarded kid.

sneakers
08-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Bly's got a point...

Dreadnought
08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, that's kinda like beating up a retarded kid.

You know what? After what he did to Bronco fans across the Globe the beat down is in order. Everything bad that happens over the next few years is indirectly that assclown's fault, regardless of where you stood on other Bronco issues. Slowick sucked big time, and trashed a promising season and possible future Superbowl team with the most half-assed incompetent farce of a defense we've ever seen in Blue and Orange

slim
08-05-2009, 10:10 PM
You know what? After what he did to Bronco fans across the Globe the beat down is in order. Everything bad that happens over the next few years is indirectly that assclown's fault, regardless of where you stood on other Bronco issues. Slowick sucked big time, and trashed a promising season and possible future Superbowl team with the most half-assed incompetent farce of a defense we've ever seen in Blue and Orange

:eek:

Really not sure how I find myself in the position of defending the worst DC in NFL history....I agree, he sucked out loud.

Slowik is to Shanny as Obama is to Matthews.

dogfish
08-05-2009, 11:56 PM

bravo, dread!

Northman
08-06-2009, 06:34 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of Bly, but he stepped his game up when Champ was out IMO.

I don't think any of us will argue his points about Slowik.

Not only that but i questioned why he and Champ were told to play 10 yards off the receiver also. Whenever we did blitz Slowik didnt have them jam the receivers and that was just embarrassing.

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Not only that but i questioned why he and Champ were told to play 10 yards off the receiver also. Whenever we did blitz Slowik didnt have them jam the receivers and that was just embarrassing.

It all goes back to 3 seasons ago. They started experimenting with Champ playing off the line like that (Slowik was DB coach), and Champ had a ton of success reading the back-field and making the play on the ball.

The problem is that it didn't take offenses too long to figure out what they were trying to do and adjust to it the next two seasons. Champ continued to play off the line and even bragged about being able to see the play unfold from that perspective in several interviews. He claimed that this allowed him to make a play on the ball easier and have a better idea where the QB planned to go with the ball.

The problem is that offenses adjusted to it, and took advantage of that cushion, and Slowik either was too dumb or too enamored with Champ to make him play at the line some too.

It didn't help that (especially last year) we had the worst safety play in the history of the NFL. The CB's HAD to keep the receiver in front of them because if they made a mistake, it was going to go for a TD. There was no trust of the rest of the secondary to allow them to gamble. Part of that was scheme, part of it was lack of talent.

But I place most of the blame on Slowik. He should have not allowed Champ and the other CB's to continue to play so far off the line.

T.K.O.
08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
hmmmmmm......."In that game, Dolphins receiver Greg Camarillo had 11 catches for 111 yards. Paymah said he was ordered to back off and allow Camarillo to catch the ball in front of him. "

i'm no defensive genius or anything ,but that does'nt exactly sound like a "recipe for success":confused:

my phrase of the day........
WE WILL PLUNDER THE RAIDERS,SCALP THE CHIEFS and DRAIN THE LIFE OUTTA THE BOLTS !
GO BRONCOS !:defense: