PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a defensive leader on this team?

cmc0605
09-10-2012, 05:32 PM
I've been thinking about our defense, and I feel like there's no reason personnel-wise why this can't be an elite unit. Because our offense will probably be relatively high-scoring this season, teams will likely need to air it out much more than in previous years. That is a perfect situation for where our talent is...excellent pass rushers supplemented by elite corners in the secondary. Moore is dicey, but he does add speed in the back end, and I thought Adams played a great game.

I'm a little concerned though that we don't have a motivator. Someone like a Brian Dawkins or John Lynch that we had in previous years. Someone who will lay their body out for a tough play. Our defense looked gassed out on the field after giving up a few 3rd and longs...which is entirely expected, but that seemed like the time when a leader would have brought everyone together on the sideline and yelled to start getting their s*it together on third downs, not to give up, to play their heart off, etc. The Ray Lewis mentality. On the Steelers touchdown drive when it looked like they had a running score (but the guy ended up being just short, I think that is when Wallace had the short TD catch), I honestly felt like everyone gave up.

I will say I liked what I seen from them. Many of the problems came from not wrapping up Big Ben but I don't think we'll be tested again with a QB who can extend plays like him.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Do we have an Al Wilson, John Lynch, Dennis Smith or Brian Dawkins?

No.

We have a lot of example guys though, with Bailey, Dumervil, Miller...I like this defense, but it definitely needs that vocal leader. Not sure he's on the roster.

Denver will absolutely not face another quarterback this season quite adept at getting out of tackles, or as big as Roethlisberger. His size neutralized, to some extent (remember, Denver got their sacks) Denver's possibly elite pass rushing corp.

cmc0605
09-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I agree. Hopefully after dealing with Peyton Manning in training camp, Wallace/Brown in week 1 (with a scrambling Big Ben), and then Roddy White/Julio Jones in week 2, much of the rest of the season will feel like cake for this secondary.

chazoe60
09-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Denver will absolutely not face another quarterback this season quite adept at getting out of tackles, or as big as Roethlisberger. His size neutralized, to some extent (remember, Denver got their sacks) Denver's possibly elite pass rushing corp.

We will face Scam Newton though, and he's huge and hard to tackle. He doesn't have the same smarts and experience that Ben has though.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 05:48 PM
We will face Scam Newton though, and he's huge and hard to tackle. He doesn't have the same smarts and experience that Ben has though.

That's a good point. Not as good as Roethlisberger. I think you can still disguise blitzes, hold the edge and confuse Newton. Denver was doing everything they could last night from rushing three and zoning up to disguised blitzes in man to man, and Roethlisberger was still making plays.

rationalfan
09-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Uh, doom was leading the pre game huddle pretty damn energetically and authoratatively. Kinda impressed me. I hadn't seen that from him before.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-10-2012, 07:12 PM
That's why Keith Brooking was brought in. He's that veteran leadership they are hoping can replace, at least the voice, of Dawkins in the locker room. That's the main reason Brooking was given a roster spot without really playing in the preseason. Physically, he's nowhere near his prime, but he's been in the league a long time (only guy on the team older than Peyton) and they're hoping he can be one of those emotional leaders.

Nomad
09-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I would like to see the leader be on the field leading vocally but also through his actions on the field. Is
Miller not vocal because his play on the field speaks for itself.

chazoe60
09-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I would like to see the leader be on the field leading vocally but also through his actions on the field. Is
Miller not vocal because his play on the field speaks for itself.
I almost think Von is more the class clown type of personality. It takes a different type of guy to be the vocal leader and I just don't think it's in him to be that guy, which is fine with me.

I think Doom can be that guy, I also think Woodyard is good in that role. Mike Adams comes across as a strong leader to me as well. I also think Wolfe will eventually be a big leader.

Ziggy
09-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Give me Ray Lewis next season. I don't care how old he is. He's an unrestricted free agent, the best leader on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL, and he can still play.

chazoe60
09-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Give me Ray Lewis next season. I don't care how old he is. He's an unrestricted free agent, the best leader on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL, and he can still play.

I don't see him leaving Baltimore. I would love it, I just doubt he goes anywhere.

It would be wild seeing Manning leading the offense and Lewis leading the Defense. We would just change our name to the Denver GOATS.

Jsteve01
09-10-2012, 10:57 PM
I think Brooking will play that role more and more as he gets healthy. Remember he was a late signing and sat out literally all of camp. I also have a feeling that Wolfe will develop into that type of guy. He works too hard to settle for less than 100% from teammates.