PDA

View Full Version : Mannings Second Chapter Begins

Tned
09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Here's a nice article from the Sports on Earth site about Manning. It's a good read, check it out.

DENVER -- After Denver’s cathartic season-opening win over the Steelers Sunday night, a reporter reminded John Elway that Peyton Manning had become the Broncos’ quarterback because the Colts had let him go, just cut him loose rather than even trying to trade the four-time MVP.

“Yeah, right,” Elway said, a grin blooming while he remembered what set up his biggest play as a football executive. “And I’m glad they did.”

Anyone who cares about Manning’s future should feel the same way. Every detail of his commanding debut as a Bronco showed that his longtime employers did right by him when they decided to waive him, allowing one of the greatest players in NFL history to chart his own future.

One can debate whether Manning would have found a better match in San Francisco. (Likewise, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh would argue that he never really pursued Manning after giving him the once-over in North Carolina.) But the Broncos on Sunday night surrounded Manning with everything he needed...

Read the full article here: http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/38193004

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 06:47 PM
That was a great article.

Is that USA Today's response to Grantland? There are some great writers I see over there, most notably Posnanski.

Tned
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
That was a great article.

Is that USA Today's response to Grantland? There are some great writers I see over there, most notably Posnanski.

Could be. I'm not familiar with Grantland. I was alerted to the article by a member of the USA Today Sports Media Group.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Could be. I'm not familiar with Grantland. I was alerted to the article by a member of the USA Today Sports Media Group.

Grantland is Bill Simmons' project after he got tired of being a writer for Jimmy Kimmel's show. It's a little more snarky and strays from sports at times, but it also has excellent, thought-provoking writers.

It's in the ESPN family. www.grantland.com

BroncoWave
09-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Grantland is Bill Simmons' project after he got tired of being a writer for Jimmy Kimmel's show. It's a little more snarky and strays from sports at times, but it also has excellent, thought-provoking writers.

It's in the ESPN family. www.grantland.com

Bill Simmons seems really butthurt that Manning is back and playing well. He's been taking jabs at him all offseason and on his podcast today barely mentioned him and when he did shrugged it off to Pitt not being good. I really like Simmons but his opinions on PM are getting a tad annoying.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Bill Simmons seems really butthurt that Manning is back and playing well. He's been taking jabs at him all offseason and on his podcast today barely mentioned him and when he did shrugged it off to Pitt not being good. I really like Simmons but his opinions on PM are getting a tad annoying.

I think that's what's great about Simmons. He's a fan. Unlike a lot of these media-folks who ARE fans, but won't admit it, he does. Of course he hates Manning. He's the Patriot's nemesis, so I just take it with a grain of salt.

As much as Cowherd drives me nuts, he's the same way...we know who he's rooting for, Belichek and Tony Romo. It can be annoying at times, but at least he's honest about it.

BroncoWave
09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I think that's what's great about Simmons. He's a fan. Unlike a lot of these media-folks who ARE fans, but won't admit it, he does. Of course he hates Manning. He's the Patriot's nemesis, so I just take it with a grain of salt.

As much as Cowherd drives me nuts, he's the same way...we know who he's rooting for, Belichek and Tony Romo. It can be annoying at times, but at least he's honest about it.

That's true. Simmons does admit he dislikes Manning. It would be nice to see him admit he was wrong though.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 08:57 PM
That's true. Simmons does admit he dislikes Manning. It would be nice to see him admit he was wrong though.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8347893/the-new-quarterbacks-league

There's this, which in my mind is the ultimate admission to greatness (emphasis mine):

The guy had to think he was done, right? So it's hard not to get swept up in this comeback. I include myself — a die-hard Pats fan and Brady Kool-Aid drinker who sports-hated the Manning brothers so much at one point that I even started rooting against Danieal Manning just out of principle. I missed rooting against Peyton last year, and if you want to know the truth, I missed watching him. Was there a surer thing in football than Peyton eviscerating some patsy on a Monday night?

And there was this, that literally made me laugh, out loud, at length (emphasis mine again).

11. Jay Cutler
10. Matt Schaub

Remember when the 7-3 Bears grabbed "Super Bowl Dark Horse" status for exactly 39.72 seconds before learning Cutler broke his throwing thumb, then their fans watched in horror as the Giants hijacked their dark-horse spot? Remember when the Texans almost won a Round 2 playoff game in Baltimore with T.J. Hooker? Er, T.J Quinn? Er … which T.J. was that? If you pressed the RESET button for 2011 and started a new season, would it spit out a Texans-Bears Super Bowl? Does this mean Schaub and Cutler missed their Super Bowl window? Is it still open? Is it a different window than Tony Romo's window and Matt Ryan's window? Does Alex Smith even have a window? Why do I enjoy Russell Wilson's window so much? Can you even bring Tom Brady's window into this when it's such a fancier window? When did windows become the go-to analogy for quarterbacks? Should I close the window of this paragraph ever working?

9. Tim Tebow

Just kidding.

9. Andrew Luck...

Thus, the "snarky" I was referring to.

BroncoWave
09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Don't get me wrong I love Simmons, just not his take on Manning.