PDA

View Full Version : Nolan's The Centerpiece Of Broncos' Defensive Plan

Lonestar
08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) ―

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan was given a simple mission just after becoming Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' first hire.

"Help him win," Nolan said Monday night.

Nolan has been going about that since late January, shuffling around personnel and implementing a new 3-4 scheme as he tries to shore up a dismal defense. The Broncos surrendered an average of 28 points and 375 yards a game last season while missing the playoffs for a third straight year.

That led to the firing of Mike Shanahan and sweeping changes to the coaching staff. McDaniels was brought in and he quickly added Nolan, who became Denver's fourth defensive coordinator in four seasons.

Nolan is keeping his expectations modest as he retools the defense.

"Just to get better," said Nolan, the former head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. "That's the best I can say, just to get better and better each week. That's where we start and if we do that I think we'll end in a good place."

Lately, Nolan has been seen but not heard. He's been sequestered since he was hired 195 days ago, talking to reporters for the first time Monday. He likes the progress he's seen on the defensive side of the ball. He received another piece to his defensive unit Monday as rookie defensive end/linebacker Robert Ayers signed a five-year deal and reported to camp.

"The energy has been good," Nolan said. "The guys have worked hard. They have a lot to learn, too."

Nolan is attempting to build a defense that can hold up its end on game day.

"Obviously, in hiring me he (McDaniels) had a vision that he wanted the defense to look like and hopefully we're giving him that vision," he said.

Nolan, who's in his second stint with Denver after serving previously as an assistant under Dan Reeves, admitted that change won't happen overnight.

"We do have a long way to go," Nolan said. "That's the natural thing to say, but it's also the truth."

Dean
08-05-2009, 05:04 PM
It sounds to me like he is short on talent. I wonder if he can play nose?

Lonestar
08-05-2009, 05:11 PM

yep but we do not necessarily have to have a Wilfork or Hampton there to have a good not great defense.. if the other 10 guys shine they will make the NT better..

there were folks playing NT in the NFL before that were not BIG names in college and they played well with good coaching a training..

we may have some sleepers in there that will do a good strong job..

I think there are so many changes this coming year on D that anything should be better than last two years.. just having an experienced coach will make us better..

LordTrychon
08-05-2009, 05:15 PM

While I'm not sure what in this article brought you to that comment, that was kinda my first thought as well. Reminded me of an 'article' I loved a while back... lemme see if I can find it.

http://www.thebrushback.com/gunther_full.htm

horsepig
08-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Pretty good comparison LT.

Who would be tougher, Gunther or Nolan?

Dean
08-06-2009, 11:12 AM
LT here is where I was coming from and I liked the article. :D

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) ― Nolan is keeping his expectations modest as he retools the defense.

"Just to get better," said Nolan, the former head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. "That's the best I can say, just to get better and better each week. That's where we start and if we do that I think we'll end in a good place."

Sounded like coach-speak for I'll do what I can.

"The energy has been good," Nolan said. "The guys have worked hard. They have a lot to learn, too."

Notice he didn't mention any particlular area that he was impressed with. No one I have ever coached against ever said that their players just weren't worth a damn at football. They talk about what good kids they are and how hard they work.

"We do have a long way to go," Nolan said. "That's the natural thing to say, but it's also the truth."

It sounded like a coach saying that they have a long way to go.

Lonestar
08-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I found the article as Coach Dean did (hope I'm right here coach)

We have a long way to go and while I know what I'm doing.. till it is game time I'm not sure who is going to show up as a player..

he is not raising anyones expectations with his commentary..

I see it as If the DL is much better with the kids that means overachieving kids we are going to take awhile to come around..

LordTrychon
08-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Ok, I see what you're saying, and I certainly didn't agree with the assessment of course. :D

I just saw it as a bunch of the same ol' coach speak. Blah blah blah. I don't dare read too much deeper. I know that a few players have gotten individual props mentioned elsewhere, so I'm sure Nolan could have come up with a name to drop if he felt like it. Wouldn't have made it any more true... ;)

Personally, I'm glad to see this drivel over 'We'll be best in the league... you'll see...' It's drivel either way. New system, of course there's still learning.