PDA

View Full Version : After game 1, what do you think about your Broncos?

Hawgdriver
09-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I think a lot of us were concerned about LB and safety going into the game. It was good to see a generally solid game from them. However, I think they will have their hands full next week against the Falcons pass attack. Mays was easy to fool in coverage. Next week will be a real test, but so far, they aren't terrible.

The O-line was mainly fine in protection. Moreno was responsible for one of the two sacks. I can't recall who was responsible for the other.

Speaking of Moreno, ... :headshake:

Anyway, that's the bad. The good was real good. I was most impressed with the defense, overall. They had every reason to be gassed, and do the Coyer 4th-quarter collapse. They played solid. I thought the helmet to helmet call on Moore was debatable. Besides that penalty, I didn't see him as a liability. I think Del Rio has these guys on a championship trajectory, mentally.

The offense, once Manning began to run the no-huddle, was as good as I've seen in recent years outside of Brees and Brady when they have their offenses humming. I could see Denver at that level if things continue to click. They looked great in the no huddle.

I also liked how Manning was quick to mention the challenge they face next week in the Falcons. This team will be fun to follow this season. We're lucky, and I'm stoked.

Ziggy
09-09-2012, 11:56 PM
The Steelers were 11 of 19 on 3rd downs. This team has to do better if they want to get deep into the playoffs. A big part of that was the zone coverage. Our linebackers and safeties were pitiful in pass defense. It was good to see Leonard get in there later in the game.

pegcage
09-10-2012, 12:00 AM
You have to give some credit to the stellar Steelers offense. Big Ben and his supporting cast played awesome football. It was hard to defend a team like that. One of the things that impressed me was, in spite of the Steelers controlling the football and running so much time off the clock, they still lost to a better quarterback. May I say the best?

tomjonesrocks
09-10-2012, 12:11 AM
The defense on 3rd downs was indefensible. I really don't know what to say about it--I would not want to watch all those plays on tape again, and it's deeply disconcerting. It made the game a really difficult watch. Ben was 9 of 10 or something at one point and many of those were very long. Also where was Doom?

And then at the same time Manning was flawless.

Great win though. I really did not see the Broncos coming up with a stop at the end. That D has big problems.

Kind of bummed Hillman didn't get any snaps...but then there weren't that many offensive series'...

cmc0605
09-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Well, we have a good football team. A playoff-calibur football team. That much I am certain of.

What I like is that we don't have any gaping "holes" personnel wise. Sure, we would all be happier with a pro bowl MLB or safety, but I like the group we have. We have at least one "elite" player at every level of our defense, and Tracy Porter is going to be very reliable. Aside from the timely pick-six, he had several impressive pass breakups...my favorite may have been when he ran stride for stride down the sideline with Mike Wallace and knocked the ball away last second.

I was actually disappointed with our pass rush for the first three quarters. Ben had all day to throw a lot of times, and I think this was more of an issue than the coverage on the back end when they kept converting third and longs. We also didn't "close" a lot of plays. For instance, there were a few times when a would-be no gain or 1 yard run suddenly turned into a six or seven yard run. That stuff matters. That said, I was extremely pleased with the run defense. But given the talent we have, I am also not that concerned with the pass rush in the future. Big Ben is amazing at extending plays and turning nothing into big plays. That sort of challenge we won't see again, at least not until Tom Brady. We're going to need to get respectable pressure with four (five max) for games like that.

Offensively, no complaints. We're instantly elite. It's nice having an offense again. Elway doesn't have to fake a smile anymore. We can run (McGahee and Moreno and Ball will all be fine), and the blocking up front was rather good against a top-notch unit.

silkamilkamonico
09-10-2012, 12:16 AM
3rd down defense absolutely terrible. With that being said, Roethlesberger is amazing in those moments and made some of those conversions I don't see other QB's making. 3rd downb defense has to be better though, much better.

Joel
09-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Since I expressed most of my thoughts in the Game Day thread, I'll just copy them here in response to this threads question:

Well, that was unanticipated; I expected a dominant D and struggling offense, but got the opposite. Still, there are no ugly wins; this is the first week I can remember all four teams I like winning, so I'll happily take it. The offense was hit and miss in the first quarter, but scored on every subsequent drive, all but one a TD, so no complaints. Beadles even threw a great downfield block to help Thomas to the end zone on that third quarter TD, so I guess he's not useless after all. If Tamme continues to be as good as advertised I may be disappointed by how little action Dreesen sees. Moreno showed good field vision on his TD run, starting inside to the right only to see a wall of flesh and cut back left for the score. Manning was, well, Manning, looking like he never left (except for the delay of game on the last drive, but no harm, no foul.)

The defense looked nervous throughout though, and gave up more third and long conversions than I can count. Honestly, if Pitts receivers hadn't dropped so many passes, and Roethlisberger hadn't overlooked one easy TD then thrown at Porter despite seeing he had solid coverage, we might all be singing a very different tune now. Mays' sack was nice (tell me again MLBs don't get sacks...) but his blown coverage allowing the Steelers first TD was typically awful. Worse, he seemed to have infected the whole team tonight, because our guys overran or outright missed a TON of tackles. We're supposed to be a great D again; third and long should not be a fearful prospect, especially against a third string offensive line with a HoF CB on one side and a solid vet on the other. If we can't cover TEs we might as well hang it up when we play NE.

Still, a win is a win, and combined with KCs shellacking it makes us look like the class of the Division. That can't happen soon enough for me; Manning is still magnificent, but the clock still ticking, so we need a championship before his window of opportunity (and Champs, and McGahees) closes forever. It's a long season with a tough schedule, but if the D gets its act together the Big One actually looks plausible now.

With the C&P out of the way, I was also impressed with the D, but not favorably. Yes, they had reason to be gassed in the fourth: They gave up conversions on third and long so often and for such an extended period they couldn't get off the field. I mean, every Broncos drive after the first quarter ended in points; they had reason to be gassed, but not because the offense left them hanging: They left THEMSELVES hanging, and the offense along with them. As previously noted, they also missed/overran far too many tackles.

A lot of that was those LBs and safeties you referenced. Mays almost fell over allowing the Steelers first TD, and one of their many converted third and longs was a pass right in the middle of the secondary to a wide open receiver. How the HELL can a good D let a guy get wide open 15 yards downfield and between the hashes on 3rd and 10? Likewise, even if excuse Moores helmet to helmet hit turning three and out into a TD drive, did he justify his presence with any GOOD plays? Is he an asset, or just "not a liability," because if not he actually IS a liability. I'm glad Porter got that pick six, because he seemed to be suffering from the common DB temptation to go for picks (and give up receptions) all game; people should stop to consider that part of what makes Champ so good is that he doesn't gamble on picks at the expense of allowing big gains: He takes what is there. I'm glad Porter got the elevation to knock down that pass in the first quarter, because otherwise the Steelers had a receiver wide open ten yards behind him in our endzone.

So I went into this game confident in the D but worried about the offense and came out of it confident in the offense but worried about the D. It's great Miller and Woodyard got some sacks on the Steelers last desperation drive, but my stomach would've been a lot more settled had they done it in the second and third quarter.

Northman
09-10-2012, 12:22 AM
The Steelers were 11 of 19 on 3rd downs. This team has to do better if they want to get deep into the playoffs. A big part of that was the zone coverage. Our linebackers and safeties were pitiful in pass defense. It was good to see Leonard get in there later in the game.

This was really the biggest issue of the night for us. Just flat out terrible on 3rd down defense but it is the Steelers.

Joel
09-10-2012, 12:26 AM
You have to give some credit to the stellar Steelers offense. Big Ben and his supporting cast played awesome football. It was hard to defend a team like that. One of the things that impressed me was, in spite of the Steelers controlling the football and running so much time off the clock, they still lost to a better quarterback. May I say the best?
I must respectfully disagree. The Steelers were awful on first and second down; despite Denver frequently overrunning/missing tackles, Pittsburgh rarely gained much on first and second down, and often as not lost yardage. If we gave up a lot of 3rd and 7s or 3rd and 5s I could say Pitt just has a great offense; since we gave up a lot of 3rd and 12s and 3rd and 17s I must believe we just blew third down.

Ziggy
09-10-2012, 12:28 AM
This was really the biggest issue of the night for us. Just flat out terrible on 3rd down defense but it is the Steelers.

The Steelers with a makeshift offensive line(missing 2 starters), thier starting RB out, and Mike Wallace coming in with no preseason prep to a new offense.

Joel
09-10-2012, 12:32 AM
The Steelers with a makeshift offensive line(missing 2 starters), thier starting RB out, and Mike Wallace coming in with no preseason prep to a new offense.
Right. Our D wasn't outplayed for three quarters by a great offense, they were outplayed almost entirely on third and long through three quarters by a second rate offense. That's a real concern heading into games against Atlanta, NO, NE and Houston.

tomjonesrocks
09-10-2012, 12:36 AM
This defense was exposed. Every team on the schedule will try the same plan on this defense. I don't know how you fix it. Hopefully Del Rio will.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Three of those 3rd down conversions were broken and extended plays by R-Berger, if you weren't expecting a lot of that then you don't know what you're talking about. Another was a piss poor spot of the ball that shoulda been challenged. At least one more was a 3rd and long where the Broncos rushed only 3. One was a personal foul that was debatable.

Considering the opponent and how long the D was on the field I thought they had a hell of a game.......

Northman
09-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Lmao, i wouldnt call the Steelers offense second rate. In fact, thats just stupid to even make that claim. The Steelers are a VERY good team with a VERY good QB and Tomlin and company came in with a gameplan to keep Peyton on the bench which for the most part they succeeded. The reason Denver got their INT was because they were able to pin their ears back and get after the QB. Prior to that the Steelers were keeping them honest. And even though the Denver D shut down their run game for the most part it didnt stop them from keeping a balanced attack. Luckily for us Manning is THAT good too. The 3rd down woes were a combination of Big Ben making plays on his own and Denver having some very stupid penalities (i wanted to strangle Moore after that hit). This team is still a work in progress but had another QB played tonight we would of been routed. If people were expecting to shut out the Steelers they are just delusional. Denver needs work but its not like the Steelers were the Cleveland Browns today. Spare me that crap.

Dzone
09-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Ya, I thought the D played great for the most part. I kept seeing #22 around the ball, even before he got the pick 6. Tracy Porter had a great game

Army Bronco
09-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Lmao, i wouldnt call the Steelers offense second rate. In fact, thats just stupid to even make that claim. The Steelers are a VERY good team with a VERY good QB and Tomlin and company came in with a gameplan to keep Peyton on the bench which for the most part they succeeded. The reason Denver got their INT was because they were able to pin their ears back and get after the QB. Prior to that the Steelers were keeping them honest. And even though the Denver D shut down their run game for the most part it didnt stop them from keeping a balanced attack. Luckily for us Manning is THAT good too. The 3rd down woes were a combination of Big Ben making plays on his own and Denver having some very stupid penalities (i wanted to strangle Moore after that hit). This team is still a work in progress but had another QB played tonight we would of been routed. If people were expecting to shut out the Steelers they are just delusional. Denver needs work but its not like the Steelers were the Cleveland Browns today. Spare me that crap. Let me keep it simple bro, you nailed it in my opinion.

guitarj
09-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Right. Our D wasn't outplayed for three quarters by a great offense, they were outplayed almost entirely on third and long through three quarters by a second rate offense. That's a real concern heading into games against Atlanta, NO, NE and Houston.

Second rate offense? This team under Rothlisburger has only won a couple superbowls in recent memory. Hardly second rate! Rothlisburger was amazing when it mattered most. He extended play after play on 3rd and long.

When was the last time we saw our d abused and came out on top like this? Manning was was money every time from the 2nd quarter on..... He is worth every penny for his time here. Exciting time to be a Bronco fan. Face it,...
signing Manning was huge for us!!

Sent using Forum Runner

Joel
09-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Lmao, i wouldnt call the Steelers offense second rate. In fact, thats just stupid to even make that claim. The Steelers are a VERY good team with a VERY good QB and Tomlin and company came in with a gameplan to keep Peyton on the bench which for the most part they succeeded. The reason Denver got their INT was because they were able to pin their ears back and get after the QB. Prior to that the Steelers were keeping them honest. And even though the Denver D shut down their run game for the most part it didnt stop them from keeping a balanced attack. Luckily for us Manning is THAT good too. The 3rd down woes were a combination of Big Ben making plays on his own and Denver having some very stupid penalities (i wanted to strangle Moore after that hit). This team is still a work in progress but had another QB played tonight we would of been routed. If people were expecting to shut out the Steelers they are just delusional. Denver needs work but its not like the Steelers were the Cleveland Browns today. Spare me that crap.
The Steelers are good when healthy, though whether Roethlisberger is more asset than liability remains to be seen; we booed a certain other QB out of town for throwing as inaccurately as he does.

However, the Steelers offense was far from 100%. Mendenhall didn't play, Mike Wallace had only had a week of practice and Al Michaels observed at one point that if they had one more injury on their offensive line they'd have to replace him with a TE, because all their linemen capable of playing were already in the game. Our defense should've had a field day with that if they are as good as everyone keeps saying, and on first and second down they did—only to give up conversion after conversion on third down.

Calling the Steelers third string offense second rate is, if anything, generous, and it's impossible to explain away letting them convert third and long after third and long for the second half of the second quarter and all of the third. The offense played fantastically except for the first series (I can't really fault them much for getting conservative when they had 1st and 10 at their own 1, and they did manage at least one conversion even then.) A great D facing a third string line and backup running back should annihilate ANYONE when the offense scores 3 TDs and a FG on its last four drives. Ours didn't, and must improve that.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2012, 01:31 AM
R-berger, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Pouncey? Yeah they suck.......

Chef Zambini
09-10-2012, 01:54 AM
con cern about safeties and middle linebackers ?
first I heard of it.
really?

Simple Jaded
09-10-2012, 02:06 AM
I thought the S's played well, even compared to their All-Pro counterpart.......

Timmy!
09-10-2012, 02:27 AM
The Broncos just beat a very good team, out for revenge.....god I'm so depressed...we totally suck. :holyshitpeople:

bcbronc
09-10-2012, 02:36 AM
The Steelers are good when healthy, though whether Roethlisberger is more asset than liability remains to be seen; we booed a certain other QB out of town for throwing as inaccurately as he does.

ya, um Joel, pretty sure the second Lombardi put that question to bed.

However, the Steelers offense was far from 100%. Mendenhall didn't play, Mike Wallace had only had a week of practice and Al Michaels observed at one point that if they had one more injury on their offensive line they'd have to replace him with a TE, because all their linemen capable of playing were already in the game. Our defense should've had a field day with that if they are as good as everyone keeps saying, and on first and second down they did—only to give up conversion after conversion on third down.

Calling the Steelers third string offense second rate is, if anything, generous, and it's impossible to explain away letting them convert third and long after third and long for the second half of the second quarter and all of the third. The offense played fantastically except for the first series (I can't really fault them much for getting conservative when they had 1st and 10 at their own 1, and they did manage at least one conversion even then.) A great D facing a third string line and backup running back should annihilate ANYONE when the offense scores 3 TDs and a FG on its last four drives. Ours didn't, and must improve that.

For all the blown 3rd downs, they only gave up 19 points and did have 5 sacks and a pic-six. And some of those conversions were plays 90% of the QBs in the league don't make.

They do need to play better, there were some blown coverages that we got away with. And obviously you can't continue to let teams convert third and double digits. But first game of the season under a new DC and they made the plays they had to. We won't be losing very often when our defence gives up <20 points.

Nomad
09-10-2012, 04:41 AM
I would say very promising. Can't wait to see this team's chemistry gel together and fix the mistakes. The BRONCOS should only get better as the year goes on.

Northman
09-10-2012, 04:46 AM

Sorry, your just flat out wrong. The Steelers were more banged up going into the playoff game last year than they were coming into this one.

CrazyHorse
09-10-2012, 07:12 AM
I'm thinking division title.

GEM
09-10-2012, 08:10 AM
The linebackers are as bad as advertised. That was where most of the mistakes were made last night.

Let's not talk about Moreno, just seeing him on the field makes my blood boil.

Traveler
09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
NEWSFLASH! We have a pretty damn good QB.:beer: :dance:

Can't tell you how refreshing is was last night not having to watch 55 minutes of horrible play from our former QB (won't mention the name).

Having said that, it's only the 1st game, so I'll refrain from getting too excited.

As to the defense, we can all see what position must be addressed this offseason. A new MLB is a must with added help at both the OLB positions. Notwithstanding what the coaching staff has said, Joe Mays is the defense's biggest liability IMO. Covering the middle of the field must also be corrected if we are turly to make some noise. If they can't figure something out, there might be a post-season.
Heath Miller is not close talent wise to the Gronkowski kid in NE. Yet he made plays all night. If that remains a problem, there will come a time when even PM can't overcome that glaring deficiency in games later in the year.

Lastly, gotta give a shoutout to Orlando 'Beast" Franklin. There where several plays last night where he totally destroyed Lamarr Woodley. Notice how you didn't hear his name mentioned last night?

Great win, but there is still much work to be done.

GO Broncos!

Dzone
09-10-2012, 09:26 AM
As much as I loved Tebow and hated seeing him go, Im over it now. LOL I am fully onboard the Manning wagon. He proved to the world last night that he has some good years left in him. Im so glad they are going to be here. Yaaaa! ****** eh!!!!
PFM! PFM! PFM! has replcaced Tebow Tebow Tebow

Fullback32
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
What do I think about my Broncos after Game 1? I think the rest of the AFC West should definitely be worried, if not the AFC as a whole. Yeah, the 3rd quarter and all the 3rd and longs was really getting to me, but I swear that 36 second touch down seemd to fire up the defense. And the three sacks in a row? Man I was loving that!

rationalfan
09-10-2012, 10:01 AM
manning makes being a fan so much more calm and relaxing. when he was driving for the go-ahead score i wasn't wishing/hoping for success, just waiting to watch it. the guy's a genius on the field. so much fun to watch.

you know who else is pretty damn good? big ben. i get that some of you are complaining about the third down conversions denver's D gave up; but that's pretty much big ben's game. he's an ace at those must-convert, pressurized moments. best i've seen since elway. and don't forget this; the denver d had big ben in their arms three or four times last night and he either broke the tackle or slid out of it, most QBs can't do that. those would have been game-changing sacks.

i think this denver team is going to be just fine.

Northman
09-10-2012, 10:26 AM
manning makes being a fan so much more calm and relaxing. when he was driving for the go-ahead score i wasn't wishing/hoping for success, just waiting to watch it. the guy's a genius on the field. so much fun to watch.

you know who else is pretty damn good? big ben. i get that some of you are complaining about the third down conversions denver's D gave up; but that's pretty much big ben's game. he's an ace at those must-convert, pressurized moments. best i've seen since elway. and don't forget this; the denver d had big ben in their arms three or four times last night and he either broke the tackle or slid out of it, most QBs can't do that. those would have been game-changing sacks.

And im hoping that Oz turns out like Ben for our future.

Hawgdriver
09-10-2012, 10:30 AM

No question about it sir. I think what we saw out of LB and S was what we should expect going forward--pitiful in pass defense (esp. from LB), but angry and impatient in run defense. It also seemed that the secondary had a hard time bringing down Dwyer. I hope that problem ceases next Monday when the Broncos face another big back in Michael Turner. Pitiful pass defense + exuberant run defense + 1 = terrible overall. So, I have them at 1 step above terrible. I really want to see how they face this test next Monday. I think that will tell us much more about the quality of our defense than we learned last night. Not every championship team has A+ players in every slot--none of them do. It's about minimizing weakness and maximizing strength. What we learned last night is that the Broncos are a legitimate threat, especially on offense.

I would expect teams to expose this tendency of players like Mays to prematurely attack, like Big Ben with the pump fake to Miller at the goaline. I only hope this weakness can be coached away to a dull roar; after all, you don't get to face a Big Ben pump-fake in practice. How long until DJ is back? :bittermedicineface:

weazel
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM
The Good:

Porter had a great game, the went at him all night and he did a great job even before the pick 6. He did get caught in no-mans land once but made a great recovery to tip the ball away or else it would have been a TD for Pitt.

Bailey stopping that goal line quick slant was amazing! Not too many corners can make that play.

The O-Line did a great job in pass protection, Moreno blew coverage once for a sack and Manning misread the D on the other, but I think passing wise they look good. On the run, they didnt look quite as good but lets see how they do next game.

The passing game as a whole was great, it looks like they're going to have a well distributed attack. Everyone is going to get touches and I think they are happy with it.

Wolfe! Looked pretty damn good in his first regular season game!

The Bad:
Running game... Moreno is a dancer, it's hard to watch. McGahee has to hold on to the damn ball. The O-line was getting pushed back on the run for most the game. I think they should have kept Bunk

Mays is horrible... no way around it, he looked foolish out there. He over pursues, can't tackle, and gets lost. Doom was invisible.

Moore looks as bad as he did last season, we really need safeties in a bad way.

Gave Rothlisraper way too many chances, they had him in their sights and couldnt get him to the ground way too many times, but that is what the guy does. I want to see the Atlanta game and see how they do.

DenBronx
09-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I didn't read any of the comments yet. I'm just incredibly excited again is really how I feel today. I feel like I'm in a dream and it's not really true. Finally we have a real QB again. Someone who can single handedly win us games. The most important position in football is the QB. With #18 you feel like we can win anytime against anyone.

Really I already knew Manning was great and I saw him play many times before, even carve us up badly. But now that he's a Bronco I pay attention even more. All I can say is I was absolutely floored at how he read defenses, changed the play and made it work.

He is the General.....that's all.

DenBronx
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Also.....Jim Irsay has made the worst decision in his career. Because Peyton has at least 3-5 years left of elite level of play. I don't care about age, Peyton will win with his mind alone.....you can't clone that. Elway had it....and Manning has it.

We're going to the playoffs guys even with a brutal schedule.

BroncoNut
09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
why's everyone crapping on Moreno. He scored a td and really didn't have a bad game from what I saw which I guess wasn't much. I am really happy wiht the performance overall of McGahee, however. O-line much better this season too.

Northman
09-10-2012, 11:24 AM
why's everyone crapping on Moreno.

Because his vision when running behind the line is still an issue. As Gem stated, very painful to watch.

NightTrainLayne
09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Because his vision when running behind the line is still an issue. As Gem stated, very painful to watch.

And he made the worst attempt at a block I've ever seen causing a sack of Manning. I can forgive a lot of mistakes, but mistakes that end with Manning on the ground better be few and far between.

Northman
09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
And he made the worst attempt at a block I've ever seen causing a sack of Manning. I can forgive a lot of mistakes, but mistakes that end with Manning on the ground better be few and far between.

According to some thats his best value..........

NightTrainLayne
09-10-2012, 11:36 AM

I think generally he is pretty good at that. But if he's not doing that critical 3rd down job, then he becomes pretty useless.

jhildebrand
09-10-2012, 11:49 AM
why's everyone crapping on Moreno. He scored a td and really didn't have a bad game from what I saw which I guess wasn't much. I am really happy wiht the performance overall of McGahee, however. O-line much better this season too.

Moreno whiffed on 3 blocks. 2 ended in Manning sacks-the kind that can injure the guy. Then he went the wrong way on a play fake-he went to the left of Manning instead of the right. Manning mae the play work but that says a lot about Manning. These are mental errors and mistakes you can tolerate from a rookie but not a guy like Moreno who has been in the league and was fighting for a roster spot!

If I had my way, he'd be cut right now.

Mike
09-10-2012, 11:49 AM

If it is the big sack that I am thinking of, there wasn't much he could have done. Pitt overloaded that side and two blitzers came in. Moreno took the inside guy, which I think is what he was supposed to do. Could be mistaken though.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 12:23 PM
OK, I'll admit not having read anything past page one...but Roethlisberger folks. Roethlisberger.

Best third down QB in the league...

broncosfannum24
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
You guys are talking so much about how our defense was exposed,and making excuses to how if this would have happened it would have been different. Bottom line is that injuries happen,and holdouts happen in this league, can't control that. If you wanna talk about what if's, what if we were able to actually bring down big Ben on those 3rd down conversions, we got our hands on him a few times but he doesn't go down as easy as most qbs. What if we would have gotten those to picks that barely went through our DB's hands. Not to mention the fact there offense barely had over 300 yards, and our run defense was amazing, and we had 5 sacks, Derek Wolfe looks amazing, and Tracy Porter was a great pick up. Also that was the fastest receiving corps we will face all season,besides the one blown coverage play, they played amazing with there speed, just be happy people and stop Nick picking at every little thing that don't go your way please.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 12:26 PM
If it is the big sack that I am thinking of, there wasn't much he could have done. Pitt overloaded that side and two blitzers came in. Moreno took the inside guy, which I think is what he was supposed to do. Could be mistaken though.

Moreno should be able to block two players at once. He's a first round pick.

Buff
09-10-2012, 12:32 PM

You must be thinking of a different play. The one NTL is referring to Moreno just failed on his assignment and whiffed on his block.

jhildebrand
09-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Del Rio concerned me a bit in the game. It was clear we were getting some good pressure with the front 4 only (D Wolfe is a beast). When we rushed 4 Ben moved around less and was a lot less effective. I wanted him to call off the dogs for a bit but he kept sending them. I get it with their o line banged up but Ben is the best after contact and moving around.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is a huge deal but just that I expected adjustments a bit sooner.

jhildebrand
09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
You must be thinking of a different play. The one NTL is referring to Moreno just failed on his assignment and whiffed on his block.

Not even that so much. He simply gave it the ol high school try. It was a terrible "attempt."

Northman
09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Del Rio concerned me a bit in the game. It was clear we were getting some good pressure with the front 4 only (D Wolfe is a beast). When we rushed 4 Ben moved around less and was a lot less effective. I wanted him to call off the dogs for a bit but he kept sending them. I get it with their o line banged up but Ben is the best after contact and moving around.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is a huge deal but just that I expected adjustments a bit sooner.

I was kind of the opposite. There were a couple of 3rd down plays by Pitt in where we went to the 3 man rush and didnt even get near him. HATE when we do that and that goes all the way back to Shanny.

Chef Zambini
09-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I was surprised the RBs were not used more as pass catchers.
MANNING runs the show, he is the real deal !
if TT lived to be 100 and imporoved 10 % every year, he would be 80 before he would be worthy of a comparison!
anyone lamenting the loss of TT at this point is an idiot, or a the very least, motivated by something other than futballskill.
safety and middlle linebacker, still searching!
woodyard made plays, tackles, all 5 yards past the LOS.
Porter, great to have him on board, champ is going to see more action this year, he looked sloppy on a few coverages.
manning mcgehee and stokely are the stars of our offense.
wolfe and von our defensive stand-outs.

NightTrainLayne
09-10-2012, 01:09 PM

No, Moreno did his job on the play you are referencing.

The play I am referencing, Moreno put his head down and the defender easily disengaged from the block and got straight into Mannings face.

chazoe60
09-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes, Know sucked on that one pass block attempt, and he had one shitty run. But, other than those two plays I thought he did pretty well. He ran hard, helped us get a couple important first downs, scored a TD, and did fine pass blocking on his other attempts.

All in all an okay first outing for a #2 RB coming off a knee injury. I want to see him get more involved catching the ball but against the Stealers you have to keep your backs in to help protect.

rationalfan
09-10-2012, 01:24 PM

best post i've read in a while.

weazel
09-10-2012, 01:47 PM

he missed one bad and Manning mis-read the D on the one where two defenders came in on the same side. There is nothing Moreno could have done on that and Manning seen it coming so he was able to absorb the hit... thankfully.

FlyByU
09-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Yes, Know sucked on that one pass block attempt, and he had one shitty run. But, other than those two plays I thought he did pretty well. He ran hard, helped us get a couple important first downs, scored a TD, and did fine pass blocking on his other attempts.

All in all an okay first outing for a #2 RB coming off a knee injury. I want to see him get more involved catching the ball but against the Stealers you have to keep your backs in to help protect.

I was thinking along these lines as well. He needs to build on this and improve if he doesn't open up the slot for a good 2nd rd RB next year and move on to someone else. Also look into a big (as in 250lbs+) mean MLB next year as well.

Thnikkaman
09-10-2012, 01:51 PM
It's just one game of a 16 game season. SSS

At least Hanie is no longer our back-up.

Fullback32
09-10-2012, 01:53 PM
he missed one bad and Manning mis-read the D on the one where two defenders came in on the same side. There is nothing Moreno could have done on that and Manning seen it coming so he was able to absorb the hit... thankfully.

The blocking thing, yeah, that has to improve. I remember a couple of years ago when Chris Gronkowski was with the Cowboys and he missed a block like Moreno did. Tony Romo ended up with a broken collar bone. We can't have that happening to Peyton.

Mike
09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
It's just one game of a 16 game season. SSS

At least Hanie is no longer our back-up.

Hanie will be resigned. :sad:

BroncoNut
09-10-2012, 01:59 PM

quit swinging from Gem's boobies and maybe you'll find yourself with an original thought. Just maybe (just kidding). I thought he picked his way to the EZ pretty adeptly/skillfully, and patiently. There was one play where he ran into his own players, but honestly, I think the run blocking failed. There was really nowhere for him to go.

gregbroncs
09-10-2012, 02:25 PM
I think a lot of us were concerned about LB and safety going into the game. It was good to see a generally solid game from them. However, I think they will have their hands full next week against the Falcons pass attack. Mays was easy to fool in coverage. Next week will be a real test, but so far, they aren't terrible.

The O-line was mainly fine in protection. Moreno was responsible for one of the two sacks. I can't recall who was responsible for the other.

Speaking of Moreno, ... :headshake:

Anyway, that's the bad. The good was real good. I was most impressed with the defense, overall. They had every reason to be gassed, and do the Coyer 4th-quarter collapse. They played solid. I thought the helmet to helmet call on Moore was debatable. Besides that penalty, I didn't see him as a liability. I think Del Rio has these guys on a championship trajectory, mentally.

The offense, once Manning began to run the no-huddle, was as good as I've seen in recent years outside of Brees and Brady when they have their offenses humming. I could see Denver at that level if things continue to click. They looked great in the no huddle.

I also liked how Manning was quick to mention the challenge they face next week in the Falcons. This team will be fun to follow this season. We're lucky, and I'm stoked.Peyton himself was responsible for at least one of the sacks. He missed the blitz and got nailed. He never saw it and they did not have the coverage on that side. Interestingly enough later on they ran the same blitz and he threw a TD pass to Thomas.

I thought the helmet to helmet contact was a shit call. That reciever was no longer defenseless and put his head down into Moore's. Later in the game the same thing happened and no call. The only difference was the reciever had the ball.

BroncoJoe
09-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Per Eddie Money:

"I think I'm in love."

underrated29
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Dude, he had like 5 runs all night. One resulted in a Td, something Mcgahee didn't do, and a few others resulted in a first down. If that's painful for you, especially against the number 1 defense, then maybe you are watching the wrong team.

Exactly. I'm sure of we go back Mcgahee has missed a block before, ball too, same with ray rice, mjd, foster, McCoy rundmc, etc etc etc.

I lMFAO when that dude said he could cut Moreno now of he could. Let's see...

Moreno- Td and first downs on a few runs
Mcgahee- fumble, and first downs, 2pt reception on lots of runs.....

So..... We have 7 pts vs 2pts, but then we have to subtract from mcgahees fumbles which resulted in a FB I believe. So it ends up with

Mcgahee - negative 1 point and first downs
Moreno- 7 points and first downs.

Yes! Let's cut Moreno now. He is terrible and oh so damn painful to watch. Good thing the game is based on scoring because if we....oh wait...it's based on scoring.....yea........

Northman
09-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Dude, he had like 5 runs all night. One resulted in a Td, something Mcgahee didn't do, and a few others resulted in a first down. If that's painful for you, especially against the number 1 defense, then maybe you are watching the wrong team.

Awwwwwwww, its ok buckeroo. Dont take the criticism so hard mate. Opinions differ.

rationalfan
09-10-2012, 02:46 PM
man, if every player was scrutinized the way moreno is there would be no hope for this roster.

i mean, manning missed a few passes. miller was held in check a few plays. thomas was actually tackled once or twice. matt prater has a cheesy tattoo.

gregbroncs
09-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Moreno whiffed on 3 blocks. 2 ended in Manning sacks-the kind that can injure the guy. Then he went the wrong way on a play fake-he went to the left of Manning instead of the right. Manning mae the play work but that says a lot about Manning. These are mental errors and mistakes you can tolerate from a rookie but not a guy like Moreno who has been in the league and was fighting for a roster spot!

If I had my way, he'd be cut right now.Yea becuse somehow Moreno was supposed to block 2 different defenders that were 6 feet apart. One sack was on Moreno to be sure. The other one was in no way his fault. He made the right play. He blocked the inside man and stuffed him. The other defender was all Manning. He must know he's coming and that they are short a blocker.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Here's my take:

Manning - what can you say? He's PFM. He's a surgeon and brilliant tactician out there. As expected, the no huddle is deadly at Mile High. If McCoy will let Manning do his thing, I just don't see us losing at home this season... it's that brutal. From the first drive we used the no-huddle on, it was Manning vs Lebeau in a battle of wits and Manning out-gamed him perfectly. I never had a doubt after we started running the no huddle that we'd convert on 3rd down. The offense looked totally different in the no huddle, and it looked easy to move the ball on Pittsburgh's defense - an amazing feat - because of Manning.

The rest of the offense - I didn't expect to have a big game running the ball vs possibly the best rush defense in the league. We ran when we had to and converted 3rd and short several times. The O-line did an outstanding job in pass protection. Sure, Manning was sacked twice, but how many QBs escape Blitzburgh unscathed? I was encouraged to see the offense clicking, especially in the no-huddle. The fact that the WRs and TEs are running the right routes and getting open combined with Manning's precision passing will make it very tough for any defense to defend.

The defense - I see a lot of folks ripping the defense for allowing those 3rd and long conversions and some of it is warranted, but they made the plays when it mattered the most. Roethlisberger is the master at extending the play, breaking free of defenders, buying time, and throwing on target to his receivers. I saw someone list the QBs we have upcoming on the schedule and comparing them to how the defense played last night. Seriously? Brees, Brady, Rivers, Schaub, and Ryan would've all been sacked on most of those plays that Ben got out of. How many of those guys could get out of Von's grasp not once, but twice on the same snap? I also see guys dissing the pass rush. Did anyone notice that after the first half, the D-line was just playing contain on Ben? There was no more rabid pass rush because he would just make a play with his legs and get away. The fact that the defense was on the field so long also slowed the pass rush. They still sacked Roethlisberger 5 times - when it mattered the most. The secondary did fine considering the Steelers have one of the fastest, most talented WR groups in the league. Every one of those guys is a track star, yet we never got beaten deep.

The only real problem I see is with the LBs. Mays is hot garbage - he is equally poor vs both the run and pass. I really wish we'd just give either Brooking or Irving a shot in there at MIKE. Brooking may be slow, but he won't be out of position as often and knows when to call for help/change the play (I saw him aligning the D-line several times on the few plays he was in there). Irving is athletically more gifted than Mays and can recover better if he is out of position. Woodyard was fine considering both Steelers' RBs outweigh him by probably 20 lbs. He led the team in tackles with 12, but he has work to do. He just needs some time. I feel he'll only get better, but for being one of our fastest LBs, he still has some problems in coverage. Von is an amazing pass-rusher and as long as he can run downhill vs the run (they run at him instead of away from him) he's a brute, but he still struggles in coverage and isn't great at reading and reacting to the run if it's going away from him, yet.

All in all, I was extremely nervous about this season, even with Manning, but after last night, I think we're on track for a 12-4 season... I'm not kidding.

BroncoNut
09-10-2012, 03:35 PM

I can't tell if you're serious here or not.

also getting back to a couple of jerkoffs (I won't mention any names) that commented on Moreno's missed block attempts resulting in a sack of Peyton on at least one occasion, I didn't Moreno specifically on that play, so I can't comment. but some rushers are left unblocked for certain plays that are of course designed for quick ball exchange. Not sure what the situation is here. I'll pay more attention to moreno the blocker from here on out. ps. It's difficult to watch every aspect of a play in the game of football. guess I need practice on that.

FlyByU
09-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Dude, he had like 5 runs all night. One resulted in a Td, something Mcgahee didn't do, and a few others resulted in a first down.

I don't think he is just thinking and considering last night alone I am sure he is taking into account all the years he has been here. What production does he have for a 1st rd draft pick since he has been here is it worthily to keep him here?

BroncoNut
09-10-2012, 03:36 PM
man, if every player was scrutinized the way moreno is there would be no hope for this roster.

i mean, manning missed a few passes. miller was held in check a few plays. thomas was actually tackled once or twice. matt prater has a cheesy tattoo.

:lol: on prater. I noticed that last night.

BroncoNut
09-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Exactly. I'm sure of we go back Mcgahee has missed a block before, ball too, same with ray rice, mjd, foster, McCoy rundmc, etc etc etc.

I lMFAO when that dude said he could cut Moreno now of he could. Let's see...

Moreno- Td and first downs on a few runs
Mcgahee- fumble, and first downs, 2pt reception on lots of runs.....

So..... We have 7 pts vs 2pts, but then we have to subtract from mcgahees fumbles which resulted in a FB I believe. So it ends up with

Mcgahee - negative 1 point and first downs
Moreno- 7 points and first downs.

Yes! Let's cut Moreno now. He is terrible and oh so damn painful to watch. Good thing the game is based on scoring because if we....oh wait...it's based on scoring.....yea........

:lol: I think this is the first time you and I are really seeing eye to eye. I am rather enjoying your snotty and arrogant way here.

silkamilkamonico
09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't think he is just thinking and considering last night alone I am sure he is taking into account all the years he has been here. What production does he have for a 1st rd draft pick since he has been here is it worthily to keep him here?

1 - you can see the biased opinions against Moreno, espcially when guys are exaggerating his play last night saying he was responsible for 2 sacks instead of the 1. Anyone knowing anything about football knows he wasn't responsible for the other one.

2 - His production not matching his place of draft is irrelevant and stupid argument. That's like saying people would rather have John Skelton over Mike Vick, because he has much better produced for his place of being drafted.

Moreno sucks. I can see that clear as day. If you take Moreno out of the equation, Denver is stuck with a fumble prone dinosaur with a glass gina in McGahee, a person who is worse than Moreno in Ball, and a rookie who hasn't had a chance to stay healthy.

Moreno is here because the coaching staff doesn't have a choice but to keep him.

Northman
09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
:lol: I think this is the first time you and I are really seeing eye to eye. I am rather enjoying your snotty and arrogant way here.

Thats because your a rebel without a clue.

LTC Pain
09-10-2012, 03:43 PM
I likes'em :salute:

BroncoNut
09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
OK, I'll admit not having read anything past page one...but Roethlisberger folks. Roethlisberger.

Best third down QB in the league...

his body looks so unathletic to me. especially his legs and ass. kindof a dumpy looking fellow to me. he is not a "pretty" athlete. but yes, he's good. dang good.

BroncoNut
09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Thats because your a rebel without a clue.

I'm not sure I follow

Northman
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure I follow

See what i mean? :)

Joel
09-10-2012, 03:51 PM
ya, um Joel, pretty sure the second Lombardi put that question to bed.
Not for me; Phil Simms rode great defenses to Super Bowls, too, but it doesn't make him a great QB. However, Simms at least knew how to protect the ball, a skill Roethlisberger has yet to demonstrate.

For all the blown 3rd downs, they only gave up 19 points and did have 5 sacks and a pic-six. And some of those conversions were plays 90% of the QBs in the league don't make.

They do need to play better, there were some blown coverages that we got away with. And obviously you can't continue to let teams convert third and double digits. But first game of the season under a new DC and they made the plays they had to. We won't be losing very often when our defence gives up <20 points.
Three of those sacks were on a single series in garbage time. I'm sure our D would get lots of sacks playing up by 12 points inside the two minute warning all season, but that means we must count on the offense to score 3 TDs and a FG on their last four drives every game. Last nights offense looked like they may well be up to that challenge, but we should not demand it of them every week, and if we try it in the playoffs we will go home early. It is a new DC, and one game does not a season make (though that also cuts both ways,) but our D must definitely play much better than last night for us to be serious contenders.

Sorry, your just flat out wrong. The Steelers were more banged up going into the playoff game last year than they were coming into this one.
Debatable; all their backup offensive linemen played most of the game: We literally faced their third string line, and our supposedly great D could not keep them from scoring except for a single drive in the fourth quarter that WOULD have been a TD had Roethlisberger not been too blind to see his #1 WR streaking down the field uncovered, then the pick six when he stared down our hired gun CB yet threw the ball right to him anyway. Pitt also had at least four dropped passes that I counted, including at least two on the third quarter drive Rahim Moore extended with the helmet-to-helmet hit on third and long.

Last year they did not have Mendenhall, same as last night, but had more of their offensive linemen, if still not all. Wallace had played all season instead of just all week, but Roethlisberger was hobbled. I'd say it's a wash: Their offense was banged up last January AND last night. The difference is that if last years D were combined with last nights offense Denver would still be scoring today.

Our D let a LOT of folks slip through their grasp last night; it was like they all had Joe Mays Syndrome, a terminal malady whose symptoms include overrunning tackles, guessing wrong and being across the field from the ball or just flat whiffing guys out of a desire to make a showy but otherwise irrelevant big hit. Given a choice between a guy who misses half his tackles and knocks helmets off on the rest, or a guy who makes unspectacular tackles every single time, I'll always take the latter. Stop trying to create a highlight reel, guys: Just play football. All that said, Big Bens elusiveness doesn't explain how often guys got wide open deep on third and long. The announcers kept talking about Roethlisbergers convincing pump fake and I kept thinking, If you stay on your man and keep him tightly covered instead of chasing picks, those pump fakes matter a lot less.

Moreno has his oft criticized record to overcome, and probably will probably never succeed in the eyes of some. People criticize his vision, but he showed great vision on his TD run: The play was called to the right off the guard, but there was an impenetrable wall there, so Moreno quickly shifted back to the left and dashed 5 yards into the endzone untouched.

Morenos lack is confidence, not vision: He hesitates and tries to make shifty moves to avoid tacklers. Unfortunately, throughout his career he's had an unreliable line, hence I found myself saying, "we can't expect backs to break two tackles before they reach the line" yet again after one play last night where either Moreno or McGahee made the first guy miss, but not the second, and went down for a two yard loss. That kind of environment will make anyone hesitant, cause them to second guess and try to make guys miss before they even get the ball, because that's their status quo. Our line looks MUCH improved in pass protection (particularly since our best pass blocking guard was on the bench) but the center and guards (the heart of any successful rushing attack) are still inconsistent and often overpowered in run blocking. Hopefully that improves; again, at least I finally got to see Beadles make a nice downfield block, even if it was for Thomas on a long TD pass.

The only real problem I see is with the LBs. Mays is hot garbage - he is equally poor vs both the run and pass. I really wish we'd just give either Brooking or Irving a shot in there at MIKE. Brooking may be slow, but he won't be out of position as often and knows when to call for help/change the play (I saw him aligning the D-line several times on the few plays he was in there). Irving is athletically more gifted than Mays and can recover better if he is out of position. Woodyard was fine considering both Steelers' RBs outweigh him by probably 20 lbs. He led the team in tackles with 12, but he has work to do. He just needs some time. I feel he'll only get better, but for being one of our fastest LBs, he still has some problems in coverage. Von is an amazing pass-rusher and as long as he can run downhill vs the run (they run at him instead of away from him) he's a brute, but he still struggles in coverage and isn't great at reading and reacting to the run if it's going away from him, yet.
I'm with you on dumping Mays for Brooking or Irving. The former has all the football savvy Mays lacks (perhaps the coaches are still high on Mays because they realize he has great talent, only lacking the skill for success) and Irving was seemingly drafted as our Mike of the future, only to have that aborted by his injury early last year. That makes starting Brooking now and prepping Irving to take over logical.

Incidentally, I hope Mays getting a sack up the gut but being useless in pass coverage illustrated my long standing argument: IF we don't find a legit Mike in the next couple years AND he develops quality coverage skills, Miller could become a HoF Mike while we grab one of the dozens of Haggans and Mays' to whap backs and bullrush TEs at the Sam spot. Does anyone know if Miller wears goggled during games? As someone almost legally blind without glasses, I've learned the hard way that they impair depth perception, and contacts are much better for snagging passes.

All in all, I was extremely nervous about this season, even with Manning, but after last night, I think we're on track for a 12-4 season... I'm not kidding.
I can't see 12-4 with our schedule unless we get a lot better at covering guys like Gronk and Gonzales. On the plus side, Chris Harris looked pretty good last night, too, and would've had another sack of his own if the Steelers hadn't been called for a false start.

BroncoNut
09-10-2012, 04:01 PM
you know Joel, I liked that td run too. what I saw was a bit of patience from him. I think his situation might be more mental (like you say the confidence), than "lacking vision" as some of simpler minded folks might say. patience is not only a virtue, but also a valuable practice for a football running back. I don't think some people realize that.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
his body looks so unathletic to me. especially his legs and ass. kindof a dumpy looking fellow to me. he is not a "pretty" athlete. but yes, he's good. dang good.

Have you taken a look at our starting QB, lately? Tall, awkward, long neck, big head, skinny arms, sunken chest, ugly, looks like someone with Down's Syndrome when he runs - and an absolutely masterful field general and a precision passer.

Ben looks fat and dumpy, Manning looks like a huge dork that plays WOW and has never touched a football in his life... both are excellent QBs.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Have you taken a look at our starting QB, lately? Tall, awkward, long neck, big head, skinny arms, sunken chest, ugly, looks like someone with Down's Syndrome when he runs - and an absolutely masterful field general and a precision passer.

Ben looks fat and dumpy, Manning looks like a huge dork that plays WOW and has never touched a football in his life... both are excellent QBs.

http://www.visualhollywood.com/movies/meet-robinsons/pics/meet-robinsons017.jpg

Fullback32
09-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Incidentally, I hope Mays getting a sack up the gut but being useless in pass coverage illustrated my long standing argument: IF we don't find a legit Mike in the next couple years AND he develops quality coverage skills, Miller could become a HoF Mike while we grab one of the dozens of Haggans and Mays' to whap backs and bullrush TEs at the Sam spot.

Ya know though I hate to bring the name up, DJ was playing the inside Jack position in the 3-4. I know he's listed at the Whiskey position in the roster, but I wonder if he can transition to Mike when and if he comes back? Dat Nguyen was smaller than that and playing Mike. Just thinking (or not).

Joel
09-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Ya know though I hate to bring the name up, DJ was playing the inside Jack position in the 3-4. I know he's listed at the Whiskey position in the roster, but I wonder if he can transition to Mike when and if he comes back? Dat Nguyen was smaller than that and playing Mike. Just thinking (or not).
We tried DJ at Mike after we lost Wilson, and it was a disaster. Granted he was a younger player then, but people already complain about backs dragging him downfield on tackles; at Mike that would only be worse, and he's never showed enough pass rushing ability for me to be confident of his ability to handle that aspect of playing Mike. Even at the 245 lbs. Wikipedia says he weighs, Miller may be a bit light for Mike, but DJ is even lighter. I love DJ to death, but Dat Nguyen laid wood a lot better. Of course, he was a Texas Aggie; do we have any hard hitting Aggie LBs...? ;)

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
What middle linebacker is a pass rusher?

Where do you even get this notion, Joel?

I agree. Leave Williams at WLB, where he's one of the better WLB in the game, but since when do they put pass rushers at middle linebacker?

Hawgdriver
09-10-2012, 06:26 PM

If I had my way, he'd be cut right now.

I hope he pulls his head out of his ass. I want him to succeed. I really do.

Hawgdriver
09-10-2012, 06:35 PM
also getting back to a couple of jerkoffs (I won't mention any names)

:friendlywave:

You know, part of it is the fact that his failure to execute resulted in Manning getting sacked. That's a high visibility mistake.

It's good to preach patience...but for how long? Coming from a Moreno supporter.

Superchop 7
09-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I was at the game.....very impressed with Del Rio.....rarely gave the same look twice.

Got some stats today......last year Beadles allowed the most QB pressures in the league from LG.

Great win but much to improve on.

BroncoWave
09-10-2012, 07:22 PM

Completely agree. Apparently he's not allowed to make a single mistake without being cut. I guess Broncos fans always have to have a whipping boy.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Completely agree. Apparently he's not allowed to make a single mistake without being cut. I guess Broncos fans always have to have a whipping boy.

It's every fan base.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2012, 07:42 PM
"whether Roethlisberger is more asset than liability remains to be seen".

Say what?

Cheese and ******* rice, do you even watch the NFL? Implying that Reothlisberger is anywhere near as bad as Tim Tebow at anything pertaining to playing the QB position in the NFL is one of the most obscenely ******* stupid things ever.

Pathetic.......

Simple Jaded
09-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Including Elway, who actually used the word "great". Personally, I think that's a huge stretch.

For the most part, last nights version of Slowshon looked just like the scrub he's always been. My guess is he'd need a boatload of touches to get into any kind of groove as a runner. The sack he gave up and the mental mistake on the play action pass is something you'd expect from a rookie.

At no point in time has he ever been the best RB on the Broncos roster but he clearly still has a role in this offense.......

Joel
09-10-2012, 09:42 PM
What middle linebacker is a pass rusher?

Where do you even get this notion, Joel?

I agree. Leave Williams at WLB, where he's one of the better WLB in the game, but since when do they put pass rushers at middle linebacker?
Urlacher is a pass rusher, just not primarily, because the 4-3 Mike is usually needed more for short passes over the middle. Even Mays got a sack last night though; rushing is in the job description.

"whether Roethlisberger is more asset than liability remains to be seen".

Say what?

Cheese and ******* rice, do you even watch the NFL? Implying that Reothlisberger is anywhere near as bad as Tim Tebow at anything pertaining to playing the QB position in the NFL is one of the most obscenely ******* stupid things ever.

Pathetic.......
*shrugs* He throws a nice deep ball when it's not picked, breaks tackles and can run for a first down or throw a bootleg pass. He's also erratic in the pocket and doesn't have great vision. Sounds really familiar. The main difference I see is that Roethlisberger's been in the league about five years longer.

tnt2126
09-10-2012, 09:44 PM
1 down we have 15 more to go!!!!
One game at a time!!!!

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Urlacher is a pass rusher, just not primarily, because the 4-3 Mike is usually needed more for short passes over the middle. Even Mays got a sack last night though; rushing is in the job description.

Primarily because he's used in run defense and short pass protection. You answered your own question. Because ONE middle linebacker has sacks, and early in his career, not so much lately, doesn't mean it's a natural thing for a middle linebacker to do. Just being curious, do have any other examples of 4-3 linebackers who make a significant impact in the pass rush?

Curtis Lofton doesn't. Jonathan Vilma doesn't. Gary Brackett didn't. Al Wilson didn't.

Going back...Mike Singletary didn't.

Being a solid pass rusher IS NOT a middle linebackers role. As I continue to see, one player doesn't make a rule. That's usually the exception.

*shrugs* He throws a nice deep ball when it's not picked, breaks tackles and can run for a first down or throw a bootleg pass. He's also erratic in the pocket and doesn't have great vision. Sounds really familiar. The main difference I see is that Roethlisberger's been in the league about five years longer.

This is unbelievably ridiculous, and flat out wrong.

Roethlisberger completed 66 percent of his passes his ROOKIE season in 13 games. Tebow hasn't sniffed 50 percent. Roethlisberger doesn't have problems recognizing plays or have vision from the pocket. That's absurd. That's WANTING to make Roethlisberger comparable to Tebow, not reality.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2012, 12:48 AM

A) Your scouting report on Reothlisberger is worse than your scouting report on Tebow.

B) No, it doesn't sound familiar. Only in your dreams.

Serious question, do you even watch the NFL?.......

Chef Zambini
09-11-2012, 04:00 AM
steelers converted 11 of 15 first downs
our D had good moments but they need work ! what happens when we fasce a eam witha healthy, legitimate run game?
like the falcons?

Canmore
09-11-2012, 04:10 AM
our D had good moments but they need work ! what happens when we fasce a eam witha healthy, legitimate run game?
like the falcons?

Watched the Atlanta-Kansas City game. The D is a work in progress just like the O. Turner didn't look as explosive as years past. He averaged less than 3 yards a carry against the Chiefs. Ryan was on fire. We will see, but Turner doesn't scare me like years past.

MOtorboat
09-11-2012, 07:22 AM
like the falcons?

You mean the team whose running backs didn't even rush for 60 yards last week?

Northman
09-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Roethlisberger completed 66 percent of his passes his ROOKIE season in 13 games. Tebow hasn't sniffed 50 percent. Roethlisberger doesn't have problems recognizing plays or have vision from the pocket. That's absurd. That's WANTING to make Roethlisberger comparable to Tebow, not reality.

I think we kind of get the agenda by Joel these days. Just cant take his posts seriously anymore. Shame really.

Northman
09-11-2012, 07:32 AM
You mean the team whose running backs didn't even rush for 60 yards last week?

Bwhahahahahaha, oh my. Does Zam even pay attention to football? lmao

capt. Jack
09-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Very happy, We have a legitimate contender now!

Jsteve01
09-11-2012, 08:59 AM
zam does make a legit point. As much as I despised Buddy Ryan, he was one of the great defensive minds of a generation. He always said that his biggest concern was always 3rd down conversion percentage.

Ravage!!!
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM

I truly am amazed that someone that SEEMs to know a lot about the game, can give (and have) such a FARRRR off perception of Roth's play. Honestly, its a very BAD breakdown of Ben's abilities. Horribly Bad. As a result, Joel... you are completely taking away any legitimate point you MIGHT have in favor of Tebow. Your lousy points about other QBs, in an attempt to raise Tebow, have taken away allllll your credibility.

Northman
09-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Buddy Ryan- "The Broncos will not score on us"

Denver goes out and destroys the Eagles 33-0.

FlyByU
09-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I am not worried about the run if the Steelers didn't run well and IF the D stays the same vs. run the Falcons aren't going to be running well. I am concerned with the pass rush and coverage of the TE as usual Denver stinks. However, I am sure this will be taken care of this week in practice. Denver's D is #9 after week 1.

Northman
09-11-2012, 09:40 AM
In this day and age its always a game to game basis. If the team shows up to play than they can beat anybody. If not, they can lose to anybody. Its all about consistency and how much they want it in the long haul. When we won our championships the entire team bought in to it.

Ravage!!!
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm not worried about the run as much purely because evenutally, teams WILL have to pass in order to keep up with our fast paced offense that moves down the field. If you try to run 15 minute drives, and then only walk away with 3 points...you are killing your own clock. Manning forces teams to pass the ball. As a result, we WILL have a lot of passing yards put up against us (more passes= more completions= more yards).....just as the Packers and Patriots had a lot of passing yards put up against them last year.

TXBRONC
09-11-2012, 10:27 AM
After just one game this reinforces why if you're John Elway you sign Peyton Manning even after missing an entire season with a neck injury.

GEM
09-11-2012, 11:12 AM
:lol: on prater. I noticed that last night.

I want to know what is up with Prater's huge gold chain. He must feel he has to wear it even during a game to keep his stripper pimp hand strong. :laugh:

BroncoNut
09-11-2012, 11:33 AM
I want to know what is up with Prater's huge gold chain. He must feel he has to wear it even during a game to keep his stripper pimp hand strong. :laugh:

:lol: I don't know, Don't know much about the man. I DID notice the tats gamenight. Mde me think of the other punter that we had that was pretty tough. Colquitt???? I'll have to keep an eye on that throughout the season, but part of me thinks it might be somewhat of an act.

BroncoNut
09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
North, what is up with your avy? what makes you feel as if you need to do for society today what milk carton's did yesterday?

TXBRONC
09-11-2012, 11:42 AM
:lol: I don't know, Don't know much about the man. I DID notice the tats gamenight. Mde me think of the other punter that we had that was pretty tough. Colquitt???? I'll have to keep an eye on that throughout the season, but part of me thinks it might be somewhat of an act.

Todd (I got caught juicing) Sauerbrun.

BroncoNut
09-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Todd (I got caught juicing) Sauerbrun.

I knew it wasn't colquitter. thank you

Taiyo
09-11-2012, 12:22 PM
The last 2 minutes, after the pick 6, excited me the most from the game. I think we all know when we force opposing offenses, we're coming with non stop blitzes, and we got a taste of that.

Though we didn't see too much punting, from what little we saw, Colquitt didn't seem to get that leg into his punts like he normally does. Those snaps were a little low, which might screw up with timing a little, but maybe it was just rust. Hopefully it's not a set back from losing Lonnie lol.

vandammage13
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
The fact we scored as many points as we did despite barely having the ball was pretty impressive to me. Shows that Manning still has it.

The game made me feel a lot better since he took a couple of big hits and didn't seem fazed...That was my main concern going in.

Just one game, but so far, so good.

Northman
09-11-2012, 12:35 PM
North, what is up with your avy? what makes you feel as if you need to do for society today what milk carton's did yesterday?

Bwhahahahahaha.

Joel
09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Primarily because he's used in run defense and short pass protection. You answered your own question. Because ONE middle linebacker has sacks, and early in his career, not so much lately, doesn't mean it's a natural thing for a middle linebacker to do. Just being curious, do have any other examples of 4-3 linebackers who make a significant impact in the pass rush?

Curtis Lofton doesn't. Jonathan Vilma doesn't. Gary Brackett didn't. Al Wilson didn't.

Going back...Mike Singletary didn't.

Being a solid pass rusher IS NOT a middle linebackers role. As I continue to see, one player doesn't make a rule. That's usually the exception.
Pass rushing is definitely secondary to the Mikes coverage and run-stopping duties, limiting his sacks, but still vital to the position, and the best Mikes get their share of sacks despite it being only a secondary duty. It says something very illuminating that pass rushing is a secondary duty for the most important player in a 4-3. Mikes must be able to do everything well, but that usually puts them in coverage or run-stopping despite the pass rushing skills all Mikes need.

In Sundays game alone, Roethlisberger completely overlooked blown coverage on Mike Wallace that left him streaking toward our endzone uncovered for what would've been a go ahead TD had Ben seen him, then iced the game by staring down Tracy Porter for a good 2-3 seconds before throwing a pick six right at him anyway. That is poor vision (it's also two of, what, three defensive "stops" we made all game? Not good....) Roethlisberger is a fitting starter for the team whose HoF D Bradshaw rode to four titles. Just as in the days of John Stallworth, Franco Harris and the Steel Curtain, the Steelers QB need only be good enough not to lose games outright, but as we saw Sunday, and nearly saw in their 2005 playoff game against Indy, Roethlisberger is often not even up to that minimal task. He throws sloppy balls to very good receivers, and has the arm to unleash the deep ball, but is far from a reliable passer.

A) Your scouting report on Reothlisberger is worse than your scouting report on Tebow.

B) No, it doesn't sound familiar. Only in your dreams.

Serious question, do you even watch the NFL?.......
Obviously I do, else I could not comment on plays I saw in last Sundays game or any other. Clearly you and I often see very different things when we watch games though.

I think we kind of get the agenda by Joel these days. Just cant take his posts seriously anymore. Shame really.
Please, my only "agenda" is Denver getting a Mike worthy of the name and a competent successor to the starting QB who'll be done in two years. It used to include finding some guards worthy of the name to protect those QBs and get us some rushing yards, but our guards played pretty well against a first rate pass rush Sunday, so I'm waiting and seeing on that one. I guess I should've chosen a different overhyped erratic scrambler to compare him to, perhaps Young or Vick.

Well, lesson learned, as it should've been long ago: If I even briefly mention He Who Must Not Be Named, even in strongly negative terms, my post is suddenly all about how great he is.

MOtorboat
09-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Roethlisberger has the 12th highest completion percentage in NFL history.

Man, if he had good vision, just imagine how good he could be...

Simple Jaded
09-11-2012, 07:02 PM

Man, if he had good vision, just imagine how good he could be...Yeah, if only R-Berger had better accuracy and ability to read a defense he might not be such a liability.......

Joel
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Man, if he had good vision, just imagine how good he could be...
Yet he has the 8th highest completion percentage among active QBs. Either all the most accurate QBs in history happen to be playing right now, or those higher percentages are mainly due to this being the biggest dump off era in NFL history. Meh, we'll see how it ends. I have a hard time believing Roethlisberger better than Graham, Staubach, Tarkenton, Elway, Marino and Aikman, or just a hair below Montana. Completion percentage isn't everything any more than sacks are on D. Is Chad Pennington the GoAT? He has the highest career completion percentage. ;) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_perc_career.htm

MOtorboat
09-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Yet he has the 8th highest completion percentage among active QBs, in between Rivers and Palmer. Either all the most accurate QBs in history happen to be playing right now, or those higher percentages are mainly due to this being the biggest dump off era in NFL history. Meh, we'll see how it ends. I have a hard time believing Roethlisberger better than Graham, Staubach, Tarkenton, Elway, Marino and Aikman, or just a hair below Montana. Completion percentage isn't everything any more than sacks are on D. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_perc_career.htm

I just find it disingenuous to call him unreliable. The dude won two effing Super Bowls, including one of the greatest shootouts ever, which included probably the best pass and catch in Super Bowl history. And yet, here you are, saying he's nothing but Tebow, who was undeniably, the worst quarterback in the NFL in 2011.

Northman
09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I just find it disingenuous to call him unreliable. The dude won two effing Super Bowls, including one of the greatest shootouts ever, which included probably the best pass and catch in Super Bowl history. And yet, here you are, saying he's nothing but Tebow, who was undeniably, the worst quarterback in the NFL in 2011.

Qft.

Sorry, anyone comparing Ben to Tebow just doesnt know football. Yep, i said it.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Tim Tebow doesn't amount to a pimple of Reothlisberger's ass.......

chazoe60
09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm a so called "Tebow guy" and even I say comparing Ben to Tebow is a whole new level of ridiculous.

Joel
09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
I dunno, if I had to pick the all time best SB throw-and-catch it would probably be Eli to Tyree.

Tebow wasn't even the worst BRONCOS QB last year. Did you miss Orton when he left? I don't recall you (or much of anyone) chiming in when I started that thread saying we should see if Quinn had improved instead of wasting our time with a gimmicky college option QB. How would you have felt about a straight up trade with Minnesota or Jacksonville, Tebow for Ponder or Gabbert?

Comparing him to Roethlisberger may be hyperbolic, but I was unimpressed with Roethlisberger before ever hearing of Tebow. Jerome Bettis and their D won that first SB, but they got there because Plummer had a pair of fumbles AND picks in the Conference Championship. They were lucky to get that far after Roethlisberger tried to give the previous game to Indy with a last minute pick six. The other one was a win over the second 9-7 SB team in history, thanks to things like James Harrison running a pick back 100 yards for a TD. Roethlisbergers game winning pass to Holmes was nice, but their two Super Bowl wins were about far more than that single play. Like Bradshaw, Roethlisbergers primary responsibility was "don't screw up," a task he failed to accomplish against Indy in 2005 just as he failed to accomplish it Sunday. That's not reliable.

It's disingenuous to say Ben's got the 12th highest completion percentage in history as if that settles the matter when 7 of the 11 people ahead of him are still playing and 2 of the others retired since 2009. ALMOST cracking the top ten on a list headed by Chad Pennington is a mark of greatness?

MOtorboat
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I dunno, if I had to pick the all time best SB throw-and-catch it would probably be Eli to Tyree.

Tebow wasn't even the worst BRONCOS QB last year. Did you miss Orton when he left? I don't recall you (or much of anyone) chiming in when I started that thread saying we should see if Quinn had improved instead of wasting our time with a gimmicky college option QB. How would you have felt about a straight up trade with Minnesota or Jacksonville, Tebow for Ponder or Gabbert?

Comparing him to Roethlisberger may be hyperbolic, but I was unimpressed with Roethlisberger before I'd ever heard of Tebow. Jerome Bettis and their D won that first Super Bowl, but they got there because Plummer had a pair of fumbles AND picks in the Conference Championship. They were lucky to get that far after Roethlisberger tried to give the previous game to Indy with a last minute pick six. The other one was a win over the second 9-7 Super Bowl team in history, thanks to things like James Harrison running a pick back 100 yards for a TD. Roethlisbergers game winning pass to Holmes was nice, but their two Super Bowl wins were about far more than that single play. Like Bradshaw, Roethlisbergers primary responsibility was "don't screw up," a task he failed to accomplish against Indy in 2005 just as he failed to accomplish it Sunday. That's not reliable.

It's disingenuous to say Ben's got the 12th highest completion percentage in history as if that settles the matter when 7 of the 11 people ahead of him are still playing and 2 of the others retired since 2009. ALMOST cracking the top ten on a list headed by Chad Pennington is a mark of greatness?

Actually, you may recall me leading the Quinn bandwagon, albeit a little sarcastically (but that's how I roll).

In terms of the Super Bowl throw, I get a little sick of the hyperbole that surrounds that play. Big Ben's pass was so precise, and Santonio Holmes' concentration was so great, that I can't help but think that's one of the best plays ever. To each their own, but that play sticks in my head much more than the Tyree catch.

It is one stat, but it's not disingenuous. There are obviously other measures, but I think when looking at reliability, pass completion is a pretty all-inclusive stat. It doesn't lead to "greatness" but that wasn't your argument. Your argument was reliability.

Ravage!!!
09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
there just is no comparison if you actually WATCh them play. Stats on a sheet of paper do NOT tell the story. they never tell the whole story, and are only used if they make the case in one direction. There is not a single person out there, that actually knows football, that w ould tell you that Tim Tebow is anywhere NEAR the QB that Rothlesburger is. Its such an absurd, ridiculous, and ludicrous statement, that it makes me sad that its taken up this much bandwidth to even give a TINY bit of effort to respond. Tim Tebow will be lucky to be on an NFL roster next season, and Roth will still have his 3 Super Bowl starts. Its such a pathetic joke, that it makes me kinda sad to see that someone.... ANYONE... would actually think enough of this opinion, to argue in favor of it. I seriously wonder if Joel doesn't cry at night when thinking about where Tebow is headed and where he will be next season.

BroncoWave
09-11-2012, 11:30 PM
there just is no comparison if you actually WATCh them play. Stats on a sheet of paper do NOT tell the story. they never tell the whole story, and are only used if they make the case in one direction. There is not a single person out there, that actually knows football, that w ould tell you that Tim Tebow is anywhere NEAR the QB that Rothlesburger is. Its such an absurd, ridiculous, and ludicrous statement, that it makes me sad that its taken up this much bandwidth to even give a TINY bit of effort to respond. Tim Tebow will be lucky to be on an NFL roster next season, and Roth will still have his 3 Super Bowl starts. Its such a pathetic joke, that it makes me kinda sad to see that someone.... ANYONE... would actually think enough of this opinion, to argue in favor of it. I seriously wonder if Joel doesn't cry at night when thinking about where Tebow is headed and where he will be next season.

Tebow will be on an NFL roster next season. Even if it's not as a QB, he'll take an NFL salary as a RB/TE/special teamer before he'll be out of the league.

MOtorboat
09-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Tebow will be on an NFL roster next season. Even if it's not as a QB, he'll take an NFL salary as a RB/TE/special teamer before he'll be out of the league.

I would say two seasons, myself, as long as he continues to insist he's a quarterback. He's Eric Crouch. Crouch got immediately moved to safety, because he was a terrible quarterback and made it one year, went to Canada, flamed out and is now a TV announcer in Omaha (last time I checked).

He was every bit the college quarterback Tebow was, sans the two championships. And he couldn't throw for shit. Tebow only survives because of his name. If he's not willing to switch positions, he won't last.

Ravage!!!
09-11-2012, 11:37 PM

he may make it next year, but he's not changing positions. Despite everyone here believing he will FREELY move to a different position, I just don't see it that way. He will ALWAYS want to be a starting NFL QB. Thats his goal, thats his dream, and thats what he's always wanted. Tim would MUCH prefer to move onto mission work than have an NFL career as a special teamer. Remember, HE has said that he's using his popularity in the NFL to "spread the word." You don't get the popularity and the press if you are a FB, TE, or special teamer. If it comes to that point, he will move on and find other ways to do his charity work.

Although he's a great guy, being a great teammate and "willign to do whatever it takes" right now, but in the long run he has his sights on starting as a QB. He's not going to learn a new position. He will NEVER be a TE in the NFL. He's never had to block, he's never had to run routes, and he's never played the position. He's had the most work as a QB his entire life, and the coaches can't teach him the basics of THAT position, despite all his experience. he's not going ot learn a different one.

Would you REALLy trust Tebow as a FB to be responsible for blocking that blitzing LB or DE, protecting the high-priced QB int he pocket, when he's never played that position before? He's never been asked to block his entire life, yet you want him to start LEARNING to block NFL guys?

Special Teams? Seriously?

Ravage!!!
09-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I would say two seasons, myself, as long as he continues to insist he's a quarterback. He's Eric Crouch. Crouch got immediately moved to safety, because he was a terrible quarterback and made it one year, went to Canada, flamed out and is now a TV announcer in Omaha (last time I checked).

He was every bit the college quarterback Tebow was, sans the two championships. And he couldn't throw for shit. Tebow only survives because of his name. If he's not willing to switch positions, he won't last.

Ahhh.. now that is something that I can see happening. Moving to the canadian football league and giving that a go. A canadian team will pay him good money because of his popularity, and give him a starting role. There he can run all the wants.

Superchop 7
09-12-2012, 12:35 AM
In 2011, the lack of a third-quarterback designation could be helpful for teams with third-string quarterbacks who are running threats: Now the third-stringer could be inserted as a wildcat quarterback for a play or two and then be replaced by the starter.

Source PFT

Caleb Hanie was somewhat responsible for this rule change, Bears could have easily ended up with no QB in a game under the old rules.

I think Tebow will stick as a #3 QB, its good PR and he can help in the running game.

Chef Zambini
09-12-2012, 03:46 AM
BB went 15-1 as a rookie and won the SB !
he had a completion % beteer than 60 % and the dude led the league in rushing for QBs !
if we look up his TD/ INT ratio it ls also probably pretty impressive.
tebow superior human being
big ben superior quarterback.
they are aT OPPOSITE ENDS OF THE SPECTRUM IN BOTH CATEGORIES !

Northman
09-12-2012, 04:42 AM
They were lucky to get that far after Roethlisberger tried to give the previous game to Indy with a last minute pick six.

Bwhahahahaahaha! Ok Zam.

That was NOT a pick six by Ben. Jerome Bettis fumbled the ball on the one and it was being taken back to the house until (you guessed it) Big Ben made a TD saving tackle. Without that tackle the Steelers dont even make Super Bowl. It wasnt Ben who was about to give away that game, it was Bettis.

BroncoWave
09-12-2012, 11:49 AM
he may make it next year, but he's not changing positions. Despite everyone here believing he will FREELY move to a different position, I just don't see it that way. He will ALWAYS want to be a starting NFL QB. Thats his goal, thats his dream, and thats what he's always wanted. Tim would MUCH prefer to move onto mission work than have an NFL career as a special teamer. Remember, HE has said that he's using his popularity in the NFL to "spread the word." You don't get the popularity and the press if you are a FB, TE, or special teamer. If it comes to that point, he will move on and find other ways to do his charity work.

Although he's a great guy, being a great teammate and "willign to do whatever it takes" right now, but in the long run he has his sights on starting as a QB. He's not going to learn a new position. He will NEVER be a TE in the NFL. He's never had to block, he's never had to run routes, and he's never played the position. He's had the most work as a QB his entire life, and the coaches can't teach him the basics of THAT position, despite all his experience. he's not going ot learn a different one.

Would you REALLy trust Tebow as a FB to be responsible for blocking that blitzing LB or DE, protecting the high-priced QB int he pocket, when he's never played that position before? He's never been asked to block his entire life, yet you want him to start LEARNING to block NFL guys?

Special Teams? Seriously?

He's playing special teams for the Jets. Have you not been paying attention? He is the punt protector and is on the hands team.

Yes he insists that he is a QB, but if no team is willing to offer him a contract at QB but will at another position, he will take that before retiring from football IMO.

Ravage!!!
09-12-2012, 01:49 PM
He's playing special teams for the Jets. Have you not been paying attention? He is the punt protector and is on the hands team.

Yes he insists that he is a QB, but if no team is willing to offer him a contract at QB but will at another position, he will take that before retiring from football IMO.

He's playing special teams with the Jets as basically a "wildcat" QB during punts. Although thats "officially" on special teams, he's not going to make a career out of being a special teams player in the NFL like we see many other do.

As I posted after MO mentioned it (just two posts down from the one you quoted)... Tebow will move to the canadian league LONG before he simply changes positions. I just don 't believe for a moment that many teams will be willing to TRY and TEACH Tebow another positio (one the he's never played before....not to mention in the NFL) purely because he "wants" to. He'll move on to another league, and attempt to play QB there before finally retiring from football.

jhns
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
We are about to win a SB with one of the best QBs of all time and Bronco fans are still obsessed with Tebow. Funny stuff!

Go Manning!

Day1BroncoFan
09-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Broncos 1-0
Stealers 0-1

BroncoWave
09-12-2012, 05:10 PM
He's playing special teams with the Jets as basically a "wildcat" QB during punts. Although thats "officially" on special teams, he's not going to make a career out of being a special teams player in the NFL like we see many other do.

As I posted after MO mentioned it (just two posts down from the one you quoted)... Tebow will move to the canadian league LONG before he simply changes positions. I just don 't believe for a moment that many teams will be willing to TRY and TEACH Tebow another positio (one the he's never played before....not to mention in the NFL) purely because he "wants" to. He'll move on to another league, and attempt to play QB there before finally retiring from football.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Teams draft QBs out of college and teach them to play new positions ALLLLL the time. Tebow is certainly strong and athletic enough to play a different position. If he came on the cheap, you don't think a team like the Patriots would bring him in and use him in multiple roles?

Hawgdriver
09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
I haven't heard much bad about Wolfe. Not that I expect it. But he's a rookie, so I'm surprised a realist hasn't offered a level opinion on his performance.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I wonder if Wolfe is comprised of 100% pure ass-kicking matter. That's what these humble eyes saw. How many defensive snaps did he play? Who can give the nuanced perspective?

Simple Jaded
09-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Tim Tebow will be in the NFL and playing QB as long as his fans are ridiculous enough to motivate media outlets into making him the subject of A Football Life or to shoehorn him into any Top100 whatsoever.

A Football Life, a best selling autobiography and a Top100 all before establishing himself as anything other than a horrible passer, if you don't understand what is fueling this phenomenon then you don't understand what's got him this far in the NFL, and what will give the opportunity to make a long run in the NFL.

Jimmy Clausen was given about half a season before the NFL gave up on him, the NFL will not give up on Tim Tebow so easily.......

TXBRONC
09-13-2012, 08:43 AM
The fact we scored as many points as we did despite barely having the ball was pretty impressive to me. Shows that Manning still has it.

The game made me feel a lot better since he took a couple of big hits and didn't seem fazed...That was my main concern going in.

Just one game, but so far, so good.

In 2009 Colts were playing the Dolphins and the ball for all of 15 minutes and they still won the game.

TXBRONC
09-13-2012, 09:19 AM
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Teams draft QBs out of college and teach them to play new positions ALLLLL the time. Tebow is certainly strong and athletic enough to play a different position. If he came on the cheap, you don't think a team like the Patriots would bring him in and use him in multiple roles?

Actually for the most part Rav is correct. Hardly ever do teams draft a quarterback most especially in the first round just to play a different position. Matt Jones is a very rare exception he was draft as wide receiver. In fact he went to the combine and did the receiver drills IIRC. On rare occasions you'll find quarterback taken in later rounds and they are tried out at different position and for the most it fails. The Jets experimented with Brad Smith at wide receiver and kick returner but for the most part he is a back up quarterback. At the end no it's not all the time.

Ravage!!!
09-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Really.. you mean like safety. What other positions? How many QBs play WR that have never played WR before in their career? How many move to TE when they've never had to block before in their career? How many coaches are willing to put Tebow in charge of picking up a blitz and protect their QB as a FB? Give me more than Brad Smith and that kid that tried in Jax. Generally speaking, if that player that is drafted to play another position, rarely starts anywhere, and MIGHT...get a role-playing positions somewhere.

Yeah, you keep telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. I just heard on the radio that the Tim has already talked about asking for a trade at the end of the season if he continues to be a back-up to Mark Sanchez. How do you think he's going to do for a team that has Brady and Mallet ahead of him? Why do you suppose that is?? It's because he's NOT wanting to simply be a role-player and guy that comes in every once in a while. If he were happy with just "helping the team".. then this role with the Jets would be ok for him.

He'll go to the canadian league where he can start, play, and be on the field. I don't think that's a BAD thing for him. I actually think thats the best thing for him if he wants to be a full-time starter. So I'm not criticizing that move in the least. But I DO NOT think, for a moment, that Tim is simply happy "doing whatever I can to just help the team." T hats what most players say, but on the inside are SCREAMING "I WANT TO PLAY!" Tim is no different.

GEM
09-13-2012, 02:01 PM

He has said all along that he won't play other than QB. An article on the wire feed says that he will look for a trade at the end of the season because he couldn't beat out Sanchez and wants to be somewhere where he has a chance to start at QB.

You are assuming that Tebow would sign on and play a different position, which he has said all along that he won't. He'd be smart to listen to an interview 104.3 The Fan had with Bradley Van Pelt where he admitted it was a mistake refusing to play another position.

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 02:10 PM
poor timmy, his ego wont allow him to focus on reality.
he is a fullback that was able to masquerade as a QB thru college, the NFL does not allow for this tomfoolery, NFL, not for long.
just like orton who masqueraded as a legit starting NFL QB,
both went 6-0 then once the league got to know them and recognise their weaknesses, they went 2-5
and you are how you FINISH !
TT could not beat out sanchez for the job, that makes him a medicre QB, at best.
maybe next time T is having lunch with GOD, the almighty can tell tim over desseret that fullbacks can be heros and role models too !

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 02:15 PM
anquan bolden
and a recent bronco probowl safety BOTH played QB in college and high school.

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 02:20 PM
tim doesnt just want to play, he wants to play QB.
his ego wont allow him to accept reality, he has done such a great job of dodging reality up til now.
but for all his hard work and dedication, instruction , fgaith and PRAYER, guys like steve young watch him throw the football and continue to ask, "is he really left handed?"
hey tim, FAITH is a powerful commodity, but check out REALITY some time soon.

Traveler
09-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Can we stop talking about a wannabe QB who no longer is here? PLEASE!

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 02:28 PM
sorry, my bad.
the answer apparently is NO, we cant stop talking about him,
even with the greatest replacement anyone could imagine, the TT discussion remains.
its like an infection that never goes away,
the TT virus !

jhns
09-13-2012, 02:32 PM

After game 1, what did you think about your Broncos?

Tim Tebow!

It was fun watching Tebow get that pick six! That play where Tebow threw the WR screen to Tebow, and Tebow then got a great block down field to spring Tebow for the TD. These plays made me realize that this team could easily make it through the playoffs and win the Tim Tebow trophy.

GEM
09-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Skip over the conversation about him. Some don't want to talk about him, but some do. :shrugs:

jhns
09-13-2012, 02:34 PM
sorry, my bad.
the answer apparently is NO, we cant stop talking about him,
even with the greatest replacement anyone could imagine, the TT discussion remains.
its like an infection that never goes away,
the TT virus !

Good point. Tebow is the herpies of the Broncos.

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 02:35 PM
its gonna ake more than a skip ! maybe you can get one of those jet-pack thingys ?

Chef Zambini
09-13-2012, 02:36 PM
its gonna take more than a skip ! maybe you can get one of those jet-pack thingys ?