PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Skier for Return Man?

omac
11-01-2007, 02:34 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/31/jeremy-bloom-works-out-for-broncos/

Jeremy Bloom Works Out for Broncos
Posted Oct 31st 2007 11:18AM by Josh Alper
Filed under: Broncos, AFC West, Denver

The Broncos ongoing search for a competent kick returner has led them to a local legend who has never gotten a shot in the NFL. Jeremy Bloom, an Olympic skier and University of Colorado standout, worked out for the team yesterday. Bloom only played two years at Colorado because the NCAA ruled him ineligible for getting sponsored as a freestyle skier but in those years he returned three kicks for touchdowns and averaged 19 yards per catch as a wide receiver. He was drafted by the Eagles in 2006 but spent the year on injured reserve and was one of the final cuts in Philly's training camp this season.

The Bronco return game has been in shambles all season resulting in the release of Domenik Hixon and a revolving door of other candidates. Bloom's workout was described as "strong" by The Denver Post but they haven't signed him as yet. With Javon Walker injured, Bloom could also help out the offense by stretching defenses with his speed, giving Jay Cutler a deep threat and opening up room for Brandon Marshall underneath.

It's worth a shot for an offense that's picking up a lot of yards but not doing nearly enough scoring. Bloom is obviously not a perfect NFL prospect but the Broncos are getting nowhere by thinking inside the box and need to look anywhere and everywhere for ways to flag their dying playoff hopes.

It sounds so crazy it might just work! :confused:

eessydo
11-01-2007, 08:35 AM
I have never been too hot on Bloom as a return man, he is NFL average at best. Definitely not a game changer.

We have bigger issues, and martinez at least holds onto the ball. Worry about that next year or try someone else out internally, there are bigger fish to fry. The eagles suck, and now we are looking to pick up their castoffs??

SBboundBRONCOS
11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
he was injured most of the time with the eagles, but thw white man runs a 4.2ish when healthy, and hey if he could learn a thing or two from stokes he might just have a future

what the difference use scrubs that have potential or use our own scrubs, i say give him a shot it cant hurt can it

underrated29
11-01-2007, 12:34 PM
i think glenn martinez did a pretty sanzy job returning last monday night, But i think that we could get the bloom in here, he could blossom...ha ha ha..i'm such an idiot.

worst case scenario is.....well i dont think right now that there is a worst case scenario, as we are in worst case scenario presently.

Broncos Mtnman
11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Bloom was a "one-hit-wonder." The only reason anyone knows his name is because of his skiing in the Olympics, and his never-ending lawsuit against the NCAA.

It certainly wasn't for his play on a football field.

I agree we need some help in the return game, but an undersized "flash-in-the-pan" Olympic skier wouldn't be my first choice.

Snapping Turtle
11-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Bloom being a Bronco would not upset me in the least bit. :drool:

Requiem / The Dagda
11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd have to agree with Mtn on this one, and for the fact that he was a local. The kid is garbage.

TXBRONC
11-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Didn't Bloom play football at CU?

Broncos Mtnman
11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Didn't Bloom play football at CU?

Yeah, that was mentioned in the article.

However, he only played two years, and one of them wasn't even a complete season due to his skiing obligations.

I have nothing against him personally. I just don't think he's anything more than a local phenom who only made news when he was skiing or sueing the NCAA.

He's nothing more than a footnote outside of that, IMO.

champbronc2
11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Ehh.. I don't want him, btu I wouldn't mind if we tried hm out.

He has his Olympics problems, and his injury problems.

And Martinez is showing some light.

Lonestar
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Right now they could use a warm body that is not injured what is it gonna cost to do so, if it is not much sign the kid he can't be any worse than what we have can he?

I do not know him from Adam but so far no one has stepped up and id anything terrific on ST in ALOOOOOOONG time.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Jeremy was a terrific kick returner for CU, and was also a very good wide receiver.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3845&SPID=255&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=22984&Q_SEASON=2003

AT COLORADO: He had five career plays of 75 yards or longer (two receptions, two punt returns, one kickoff return), tied with Byron White for the second most in school history, and just one behind the leader, Ben Kelly (six between 1997-99). He finished his career eighth in punt return yards (625), tied for fifth in punt return touchdowns (2), 11th in kickoff return yards (627), 57th in receiving yards (458) and 48th in all-purpose yards (1,792).

fcspikeit
11-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Does anyone know if we signed him or not?

champbronc2
11-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Does anyone know if we signed him or not?
Not yet but he is working out with us.

eessydo
11-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Jeremy was a terrific kick returner for CU, and was also a very good wide receiver.

AT COLORADO: He had five career plays of 75 yards or longer (two receptions, two punt returns, one kickoff return), tied with Byron White for the second most in school history, and just one behind the leader, Ben Kelly (six between 1997-99). He finished his career eighth in punt return yards (625), tied for fifth in punt return touchdowns (2), 11th in kickoff return yards (627), 57th in receiving yards (458) and 48th in all-purpose yards (1,792).

Not to burst your bubble but CU wasn't exactly a powerhouse when he was there. It is not like he dramatically changed games with his "4.2" speed and receiving ability.

BTW, for the person that said he could be a stokely protege, he is not tough enough to go over the middle out of that slot position. "4.2" speed with a fragile label on it puts him out wide. He will never be a slot receiver.

People get enamored with local players, like all of the Falcons fans here in Atlanta that went gaga over DJ Shockley. They keep him around because he is a local boy with a small fan following yet he flat out sucks throwing the ball and he is a below average 3rd string QB.

Bloom is a waste of time.

TXBRONC
11-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Right now recieving skills are secondary to the ability to get us good field position consistantly. If Denver signs him and that all really where my focus would be.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Not to burst your bubble but CU wasn't exactly a powerhouse when he was there. It is not like he dramatically changed games with his "4.2" speed and receiving ability.

BTW, for the person that said he could be a stokely protege, he is not tough enough to go over the middle out of that slot position. "4.2" speed with a fragile label on it puts him out wide. He will never be a slot receiver.

People get enamored with local players, like all of the Falcons fans here in Atlanta that went gaga over DJ Shockley. They keep him around because he is a local boy with a small fan following yet he flat out sucks throwing the ball and he is a below average 3rd string QB.

Bloom is a waste of time.

who says he cant learn???

stokes doesnt exctly strike you as a guy who goes over the middle.

what is it gonna hurt anyways, i have no problem with trying him out, and it has nothing to do with a local fav because seeing as how im in IL:rolleyes:

TXBRONC
11-02-2007, 08:42 PM
who says he cant learn???

stokes doesnt exctly strike you as a guy who goes over the middle.

what is it gonna hurt anyways, i have no problem with trying him out, and it has nothing to do with a local fav because seeing as how im in IL:rolleyes:

If Bloom is brought in his job will be to return kicks. He might get in on some offensive plays but it wouldn't be for several weeks.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-02-2007, 09:02 PM
If Bloom is brought in his job will be to return kicks. He might get in on some offensive plays but it wouldn't be for several weeks.

yea i get that but im just saying we keep bringing in older guys for a year or two but nothin much more, if stokes can somehow groom bloom into a player like him that would be a bonuseven if it tskes a while

SM19
11-02-2007, 09:31 PM
I remember the scouts having a lot of good things to say about him as a returner. No harm in seeing whether he can beat out Martinez or Clark.

underrated29
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
well we got an open roster spot now, with jarvis out.

DenBronx
11-02-2007, 10:29 PM
I remember the scouts having a lot of good things to say about him as a returner. No harm in seeing whether he can beat out Martinez or Clark.

which wouldnt be hard to do.

the job is blooms to lose. :coffee:

Watchthemiddle
11-03-2007, 01:58 AM
It sounds to me like a few of you have NEVER watched this kid play on a football field. Just read articles and haven't seen him play with your own two eyes.

If healthy, he would be the fastest guy on the team. Not too mention fearless returning kicks and punts. When was the last time we EVER had anyone that was fearless back there?

At this point, what can it hurt.

omac
11-03-2007, 02:39 AM
Yeah, like underrated29 said, Bloom can blossom. :D

TXBRONC
11-03-2007, 10:34 AM
which wouldnt be hard to do.

the job is blooms to lose. :coffee:

Have we signed him already?

Lonestar
11-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Nothing about him on the bronco site.. if they do it would be today I would think..

DenBronx
11-03-2007, 01:08 PM

as far as i know they havnt. i was speaking hypotheticaly.

it looks like both sides of special teams have tightened up a bit. id really like to see what bloom could do. would he do punt returns and kickoffs or just punt returns?

TXBRONC
11-03-2007, 02:40 PM
as far as i know they haven't. i was speaking hypothetically.

it looks like both sides of special teams have tightened up a bit. id really like to see what bloom could do. would he do punt returns and kickoffs or just punt returns?

We someone who can change field position for us so that offense doesn't always have to drive the length of the field.

rcsodak
11-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Geez, it's not like the team doesn't bring in players on a monthly basis, guys.

And if they don't sign him, that doesn't mean they don't bring him in at the end of the year on one of those "future" contracts.

If he could add wr to his reportiore, maybe he could be another wes welker, next year.