PDA

View Full Version : Falcons Fans Sending Team a Message By Staying Home

omac
11-01-2007, 02:29 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/31/falcons-fans-sending-a-message/

Falcons Fans Sending Team a Message By Staying Home
Posted Oct 31st 2007 8:56PM by JJ Cooper
Filed under: Falcons, NFC South, Atlanta

It appears to be acertainty that this Sunday's Falcons game will be the first non-sellout since before Arthur Blank bought the team in 2002.

For someone who grew up in Georgia during the Williams Andrews and Gerald Riggs days when empty seats at Fulton County Stadium were as much a part of the experience as Charles Dimry being toasted for a touchdown that's a pretty amazing stat to fathom--it's been six years since the Falcons didn't sellout a home game.

But you're not going to hear any complaints here about fickle fans or the need for people to step up to avoid a blackout. Hey for the diehard fans even a bad season doesn't send 'em away, but for the casual fan, and in Atlanta, a lot of fans are casual fans, this team has absolutely nothing to draw people to the Georgia Dome.

There's an inept offense that's has a grand total of two players, Jerious Norwood and Roddy White, who are even interesting--and Norwood isn't starting. There's a defense that's mediocre at best, and a coach who seems content to aim for next year, but is not willing to announce it to anyone.

And although clearly this team is in rebuilding mode, many of its best players (John Abraham, Keith Brooking, Alge Crumpler among others) are too old to likely be much of a factor by the time the team rebuilds by 2009 or so. The the best young star, DeAngelo Hall, has made it clear he hates his coach and is planning to leave as soon as his contract is up.

The reality is that while things are better in Atlanta than they are in Miami or St. Louis, it's hard to find many teams that are in a more depressing spot for the rest of the year. And it makes sense that many of the less hardcore fans will stay away because of that.

I don't blame the fans. It really looks like Atlanta's coach is intentionally tanking the season for the upcoming draft. Norwood is the better runner, start him. Mediocre as he is, Harrington is better than Leftwich any day. At least don't try to prevent your team from winning.

champbronc2
11-01-2007, 06:13 PM

I don't blame the fans. It really looks like Atlanta's coach is intentionally tanking the season for the upcoming draft. Norwood is the better runner, start him. Mediocre as he is, Harrington is better than Leftwich any day. At least don't try to prevent your team from winning.

And if he is found to be doing that at some point this season big trouble for them.

Point shaving!:burnout:

omac
11-01-2007, 10:55 PM
And if he is found to be doing that at some point this season big trouble for them.

Point shaving!:burnout:

Oh? I didn't know that. He'd better watch out then.

Escobar
11-02-2007, 12:11 AM
harrington is better than leftwich?

haha they both are not very good, but id pick leftwich in a nano second

omac
11-02-2007, 01:50 AM
harrington is better than leftwich?

haha they both are not very good, but id pick leftwich in a nano second

Really? I've seen Harrington make some good throws and manage the game pretty well. Leftwich holds on to the ball forever, doesn't recognize coverages, and just doesn't make good throws.

You're right, though; if either are leading your team, you're in trouble. :D

dogfish
11-04-2007, 04:00 AM

it doesn't just LOOK like they're tanking. . . they ARE tanking!

norwood is averaging 5.8 freakin' yards per carry-- don't tell me petrino is so loyal to a guy he never knew before this year that he won't switch to the young guy with the explosive speed. . . cutting grady jackson and giving no real explanation doesn't look great either-- not that he's a star player, but who else do they have out there? then you have to consider crumpler's comments from earlier in the year. . . i think it's obvious that petrino wants to bring in his boy brohm. . . that's what college coaches do-- hell, he even brought back chris redman!

:lol: :lol:

omac
11-04-2007, 05:57 AM
it doesn't just LOOK like they're tanking. . . they ARE tanking!

norwood is averaging 5.8 freakin' yards per carry-- don't tell me petrino is so loyal to a guy he never knew before this year that he won't switch to the young guy with the explosive speed. . . cutting grady jackson and giving no real explanation doesn't look great either-- not that he's a star player, but who else do they have out there? then you have to consider crumpler's comments from earlier in the year. . . i think it's obvious that petrino wants to bring in his boy brohm. . . that's what college coaches do-- hell, he even brought back chris redman!

:lol: :lol:

Yep. They were the #1 rushing team last season. How do you go from 1 down to 25? They're cheating the fans by tanking. Might as well just give free admission, instead of charging for tickets.