PDA

View Full Version : Day 5 (8/4) Training Camp Report by pnbronco

Tned
08-05-2009, 12:20 AM
pnbronco was at camp again today and put together a nice report of Day 5 of Broncos Camp.

========pnbroncos' Day 5 Report===============

I will try to share what I saw today, but know that's it's really not my thing.

Orton looked so much better to me today. He was hitting his receivers and just seemed a lot more comfortable in general. He had great passes to Scheff, Royal, Graham, Stokley and Gaffney. There were some misses but not nearly as many as the past few days. Royal had a bunch of really great connections with Orton at the end Orton threw it to Royal between 2 defenders, it was like threading the needle and Royal caught it. Sheff caught one on his tip toes and was all over the place and seems to be finding a rhythm with Orton. I have noticed that Scheff and Orton are talking a lot during the warm ups, just hanging out. I just felt better watching the Orton and the WR and TE todays. Oh and Quinn had nice receptions today too.

Simms on the hand is taking too long to check down and pass, several times it looked like he would have been creamed had it been a real game. The short passes he's fine, but in general it just seemed too long.

Saw Moss out there today. First with special teams and then some reps with the D, did not really notice which group but saw him here and there. I can't really say that he caught my attention other than when I was looking for him.

Spencer Larsen on the other hand was a joy to watch. He has great energy and I would say making his presence known. It seemed like he was always around where the ball was.

Peyton was great again today, running and receiving. He is just working so hard out there and making the most out of each time he touches the ball and had some great catches as well.

The other player I noticed was Buckhalter. He ran some great routes and caught a few passes too. He kept getting my attention when I was watching some of the other practices. On the other hand Lamont Jordan not so much. Torain looked better to me today. He was great the first day and then kind of faded out after that, well today he seemed much crisper and just had more energy.

Saw Avers for the first time today, it's so strange to see 56 again, I still miss Al, that's why I don't do reports, my personal feelings are so strong for certain players, it's hard for me to be subjective. The first time I saw him he just looked totally lost and didn't have a clue what was going on. He was with the first team but in the wrong spot and at one point he was looking all around like where, what, how come. Man did his coach get a hold of him and chew him a new one. One of players, can't remember who gave him a it will be OK pat. Strangely enough he looked much better at the end of practice today, he even broke up a play or was in the middle of it.

Mario Haggan was great today. He batted down one ball for sure and may have done a second, couldn't really see all of that play.

Jake Williams was involved in 2 interceptions today and was like the energizer bunny. BTW I asked where he got the JMFW nick name, he claims to have no part of it, that he is a PG-13 type of guy.

Kern kicked some beauties today. They were really long and wonderful hang time, oh it would be so great to see those in a real game, I mean impressive. Colquitt was not bad either, but Kern's was better IMO.

Prater made all his attempts in the drills I saw today.

Very interesting drill today. They brought out a big mat and had the guys practicing blocking punts. They would fly into the air to try to block it and have the mat to land on, have never seen that before in all the years I've gone to camp.

One last observation. On the 11 on11's I think Stokley jammed his pinky or the finger next to it of his right hand on a helmet. He walk out in serious pain you could see it all over his face. He walked over to one of the trainers who did something. Stok then put his glove back on and they taped the 2 fingers together and he went back out, ouch....

Didn't feel too good today, I get headaches, which is why it's taken me so long to get my notes out. Don't expect too much in the future, camp is my only real time off, so I like to be bump on a log out there and get hugs (I"m a older women) from some of the guys after practice....:D

frauschieze
08-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the update, pn! It's awesome that you're sharing your first hand observations.

FWIW, I thought JMFW got his nickname from the Mane. Or maybe it was here. In a game day chat in any case.

CoachChaz
08-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Jack was my adopted Bronco last year. I'm beginning to regret dumping him

Tned
08-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Jack was my adopted Bronco last year. I'm beginning to regret dumping him

It will be interesting to see if Smith can pass him for the Nickel role. Whoever wins the spot, I hope they are solid.

I know this is a completely different defense, both in terms of new coach, and a major personell turnover, but the slot receiver going against our nickel back has been a major weekness for five or six years now.

CoachChaz
08-05-2009, 07:35 AM
It will be interesting to see if Smith can pass him for the Nickel role. Whoever wins the spot, I hope they are solid.

I know this is a completely different defense, both in terms of new coach, and a major personell turnover, but the slot receiver going against our nickel back has been a major weekness for five or six years now.

Any receiver going against our defense has seemed to be a bit of a weakness lately. But it's nice to have the competition for the nickel spot. Either way, it's nice that we have our future at both CB positions in the mix right now.

broncofaninfla
08-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Great stuff, thanks!

TXBRONC
08-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Ayers looking lost goes right along with what McDaniels said yesterday after the morning practice. Ayers even admitted there were several times he wasn't sure of his assignment. They also showed a clip of him from yesterday's practice and there was no doubt he was a bit lost out there.

LRtagger
08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Dont forget JMFW looked great in last years camp and into the preseason but really took a nosedive when the real season started.

NightTrainLayne
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the update, pn! It's awesome that you're sharing your first hand observations.

FWIW, I thought JMFW got his nickname from the Mane. Or maybe it was here. In a game day chat in any case.

I think it was actually a draft-day chat or thread, but I'm pretty sure it was from the Mane.

TXBRONC
08-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Dont forget JMFW looked great in last years camp and into the preseason but really took a nosedive when the real season started.

True, and from what I understand there was some thought it having to do with scheme. I think it was Mike Klis that pointed out that Denver was playing a lot of zone coverage and that didn't seem to match up with J.William's skill. He's supposedly a lot like Smith in that he's better in man to man coverage.

LRtagger
08-05-2009, 09:54 AM
True, and from what I understand there was some thought it having to do with scheme. I think it was Mike Klis that pointed out that Denver was playing a lot of zone coverage and that didn't seem to match up with J.William's skill. He's supposedly a lot like Smith in that he's better in man to man coverage.

I hope so!

We could potentially have a great secondary now and in the future with JMFW, Smith, Bell and then Bruton, McBath, Barrett