PDA

View Full Version : Jake Plummer, who now lives in Boulder, visits with Denver Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Yes - the first part of this article is about Jake. But, I found the following from the article very interesting:

Potential roster moves. NFL teams often take advantage of a provision in the collective bargaining agreement just before the season opener to save a little guaranteed salary. By league rules, all vested players ( players with four or more seasons accrued in the league) on the roster for the regular-season opener have their base salaries guaranteed.

So, at times, teams will release one or more of those veteran players who are not expected to play in the game Sunday, and then re-sign them Monday to lift the guarantee.

For the Broncos, Caleb Hanie, who has worked as the No. 3 quarterback this week, and linebacker Keith Brooking fit the profile. Hanie is in his fifth season, Brooking his 14th.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21494279/jake-plummer-who-now-lives-boulder-visits-denver

Hawgdriver
09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
The note you shared is intriguing. It seems cold to momentarily drop players just to avoid vesting their salary. But that's the business side.

I don't want to revisit Jake issues, I've long since moved on, but I didn't realize he had the highest winning percentage. When I heard that, I thought, "Jake Plummer ... Winning!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg).

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2012, 01:23 PM
The note you shared is intriguing. It seems cold to momentarily drop players just to avoid vesting their salary. But that's the business side.

I don't want to revisit Jake issues, I've long since moved on, but I didn't realize he had the highest winning percentage. When I heard that, I thought, "Jake Plummer ... Winning!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg).

It definitely seems cold, and what surprised me also was it appears that OZ will be the backup QB for tomorrow night's game.

Ravage!!!
09-08-2012, 01:25 PM
It definitely seems cold, and what surprised me also was it appears that OZ will be the backup QB for tomorrow night's game.

Ohhh... no. You did it.

Zam in 3....2......1.....

shank
09-08-2012, 01:44 PM
re-sign jake!

-buff

Jsteve01
09-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Don't even get me started on the plummer debacle. That was just the beginning of some pretty shameful shanahanigans. The Guy takes you to the afc championship game and you go out draft a qb in the 1st and then allow heimerdinger to scuttle the offense that utilized Jake's ability. Toss in the bullshit with convincing Wilson to play with a neck injury and then cutting him and my blood starts to boil.

Ravage!!!
09-08-2012, 03:20 PM
So drafting a QB is a bad thing, now. I blame Plummer for being such a panzy that he couldn't take the heat. He folded and gave up. Yeah, its terrible that ANY team drafts players at a position the team already has. Shameful. Never happens. Poor Plummer.

DenBronx
09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
I always did like Jake the Snake. He won us alot of games during his time here.

Glad he's going to the game Sunday night.

Canmore
09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
I always did like Jake the Snake. He won us alot of games during his time here.

Glad he's going to the game Sunday night.

Me too. Jake was a free spirit. Probably too bad he didn't work a little harder at his craft, but I liked him. Winning football games helps.

Bugs Baloney
09-08-2012, 06:55 PM
i don't care what anybody says. i was a big Plummer fan!

i'd rather have him now and all rusted up than Hanie any day.

Broncos Mtnman
09-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Gee, of all the places in Colorado, he picks Boulder? Figures.

rationalfan
09-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Jake Plummer, one of my all time fave broncos.

Jsteve01
09-08-2012, 11:26 PM
So drafting a QB is a bad thing, now. I blame Plummer for being such a panzy that he couldn't take the heat. He folded and gave up. Yeah, its terrible that ANY team drafts players at a position the team already has. Shameful. Never happens. Poor Plummer. right. Most teams draft qbs when their youngish qb is in his prime and coming off an afc championship game appearance. The reason we lost most games wasn't Jake plummer. It was the smoke and mirrors bullshit that coyer was forced to run because of a glaring lack of talent on defense and horrid special teams. That though wasn't the thrust of my post. People who somehow think tebow got set up to fail when this team ran a high school offense to accommodate his limited skill set should go back and watch film of the bullshit offense heimerdinger ran out that year. I don't like to speak ill of the dead but dinger had no business running our offense. He was slowick 1.0. Another shanny cronie. Losing kubes had more impact than people want to admit.

Nomad
09-08-2012, 11:37 PM
right. Most teams draft qbs when their youngish qb is in his prime and coming off an afc championship game appearance. The reason we lost most games wasn't Jake plummer. It was the smoke and mirrors bullshit that coyer was forced to run because of a glaring lack of talent on defense and horrid special teams. That though wasn't the thrust of my post. People who somehow think tebow got set up to fail when this team ran a high school offense to accommodate his limited skill set should go back and watch film of the bullshit offense heimerdinger ran out that year. I don't like to speak ill of the dead but dinger had no business running our offense. He was slowick 1.0. Another shanny cronie. Losing kubes had more impact than people want to admit.

Hard pill to swallow seeing Ngata pass by us.

sneakers
09-08-2012, 11:47 PM
They did just free up his number by cutting hinie

MOtorboat
09-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Still amazes me that people hate the only quarterback who was worth a shit in terms of getting to the playoffs consistently after Elway retired.

MOtorboat
09-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Jake Plummer, 39-15
Brian Griese, 27-24
Jay Cutler, 17-20
Kyle Orton, 12-21

That ain't no lie. Plummer is the only one of those quarterbacks to go to three straight playoffs with an AFC Championship appearance.

Denying that, and pontificating about how great Cutler was, is asinine. The dude couldn't hold Plummer's jock when it came to leadership and winning games when it counted. Still can't.

Magnificent Seven
09-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Jake Plummer is back on the team?

Simple Jaded
09-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm as big a Plummer fan as anybody but Cutler was outplaying the guy from the get go. My thoughts at the time was that the Broncos would take the Favre-Rodgers approach with Plummer-Cutler, and to this day I still think that is what they should have done because the lockerroom just wasn't ready for a change.

But denying that Cutler was and is a far better QB is equally asinine. The leadership and winner angle didn't exactly work for Tebow, either, did it? He's clearly the best leader and winner to ever play the game of football but that didn't stop the Broncos from getting as far away from his bullshit intangibles as they could and as soon as humanly ******* possible.......

silkamilkamonico
09-09-2012, 05:30 PM
The "Plummer gave up because the coaches were installing a new offense" card is terrible. If Shanahan didn't deliberatly sabatoge that season it probably would have worked out differently, and wouldn't have ended in an epic playoff collapse, one for of a few for Shanahan.

Let's not forget Plunger, the winnest QB Denver has had since the turn of the millenium, also had the least amount of talent to work with.

DenBronx
09-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Heck...call in Plummer for a workout. I bet he's still in shape with all of the handball he has been doing.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2012, 02:16 AM
Heck...call in Plummer for a workout. I bet he's still in shape with all of the handball he has been doing.

Apparently he's due for hip surgery soon.......