PDA

View Full Version : Bronco fans told they can't wear Peyton Manning jerseys to school

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Ahead of Sunday’s big game between the Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers, some students in Greeley, Colo., are upset over an anti-gang policy that prohibits them from wearing Peyton Manning’s No. 18 jersey.

The future Hall of Fame quarterback, who the Broncos signed during the off season, has given fans hope the team can build on its unlikely playoff drive of a year ago, and jerseys emblazoned with his name and number are a huge seller throughout the state. But how can a Bronco fan express his devotion if the jersey remains in a drawer?

“They told me I couldn’t wear 18 anymore because it’s a gang number and I had to take it off,” said Konnor Vanatta during an interview with FOX31 Denver on Tuesday.

rest - http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/05/bronco-fans-told-cant-wear-peyton-manning-jerseys-to-school/#ixzz25clqQsgK

Dzone
09-05-2012, 05:23 PM
18 is a gang number? huh? Man, what a crock o crap. Stick with a Tebow jersey to be safe.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm a little surprised it took this long to get to the media. There was a list of numbers kids can't wear that went out with class and school supply lists. Whole school district too, even the little kids.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Okay...

We have some ****** up priorities as a country when we ban children from wearing a certain number on a jersey...

If I was a dad in that area, I'd make sure to go to every PTA meeting - wearing a #18 Peyton Manning jersey. Good luck making me take it off...

I wonder if these numbers have also been banned from the district's High School football teams? If they aren't, it's hypocrisy at the highest levels. When I was in high school, we always wore our football jerseys to school on game days. So much nonsense.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Okay...

We have some ****** up priorities as a country when we ban children from wearing a certain number on a jersey...

If I was a dad in that area, I'd make sure to go to every PTA meeting - wearing a #18 Peyton Manning jersey. Good luck making me take it off...

Unfortunately, Greeley has a pretty bad gang problem. The gangs ruined the ability to wear those numbers.

Personally, I don't like it, but do you want open gang activity in school?

NightTerror218
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately, Greeley has a pretty bad gang problem. The gangs ruined the ability to wear those numbers.

that is it....no more red, green, or blue.....all gang colors.......complete bull ban numbers......if you have gang activity in the school then you have more problems then a sports jersey.

MileHighCrew
09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I hope Manning signs each of the jersey's or Von gives them all a 58 or something..... I get the issue, but no one should ever be discouraged from wearing broncos gear!!!!!

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 06:31 PM
that is it....no more red, green, or blue.....all gang colors.......complete bull ban numbers......if you have gang activity in the school then you have more problems then a sports jersey.

Yeah, actually that's also part of the dress code. No solid colors. Of course, that's not mentioned in that article.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-05-2012, 06:31 PM

How does wearing a number on a jersey promote gang activity? Peyton Manning's Denver Broncos' jersey has nothing to do with gang activity. All they're doing is letting the influence of the gangs win and scare them into doing stupid, pointless things. If they don't like it, create a dress code and make all the kids dress in the same school uniform, or ban any type of athletic jerseys. Banning certain numbers is absolutely ridiculous. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't ban "69" because of the sexual connotations.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 06:33 PM
How does wearing a number on a jersey promote gang activity? Peyton Manning's Denver Broncos' jersey has nothing to do with gang activity. All they're doing is letting the influence of the gangs win and scare them into doing stupid, pointless things. If they don't like it, create a dress code and make all the kids dress in the same school uniform, or ban any type of athletic jerseys. Banning certain numbers is absolutely ridiculous. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't ban "69" because of the sexual connotations.

Because 18 is worn by the 18th Street Gang, which has a presence in Greeley.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2012, 06:47 PM
from article:

A spokesperson for Weld County District 6 explained the policy has been around for over three years and applies to the numbers 13, 14,18, 31, 41 and 81.

Not to be discouraged, Vanatta wore a number 61 jersey to school on Tuesday to protest the policy.

rest - http://kdvr.com/2012/09/04/mannings-18-jerseys-banned-from-weld-county-schools/

Jsteve01
09-05-2012, 06:49 PM
huge presence. Go ahead and encourage a kid to wear the 18 and then explain to his family what happened when he gets the *&^* kicked out of him by a rival gang. It's sad that they've had to adopt such extreme measures but it is what it is. The safety of the children should be top priority over wearing a jersey. And if you don't think gangs take colors and symbols that seriously then you quite frankly have no idea what you're talking about. People get killed over that kind of stuff.

Northman
09-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Pretty much how i look at it. Its one thing if you have a homemade jersey with no team logo and are sporting it around as a gang sign/whatever. But, a NFL jersey? Come on thats just ridiculous. Nice call on "69", i was thinking the very same thing today. lol

MOtorboat
huge presence. Go ahead and encourage a kid to wear the 18 and then explain to his family what happened when he gets the *&^* kicked out of him by a rival gang. It's sad that they've had to adopt such extreme measures but it is what it is. The safety of the children should be top priority over wearing a jersey. And if you don't think gangs take colors and symbols that seriously then you quite frankly have no idea what you're talking about. People get killed over that kind of stuff.

The same thing happened in the early 90s with the "CR" Colorado Rockies hats. The Crips were wearing them and turning into one of their trademark symbols.

Northman
Because 18 is worn by the 18th Street Gang, which has a presence in Greeley.

I highly doubt that kid who was wearing the Manning jersey was a gang member.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Pretty much how i look at it. Its one thing if you have a homemade jersey with no team logo and are sporting it around as a gang sign/whatever. But, a NFL jersey? Come on thats just ridiculous. Nice call on "69", i was thinking the very same thing today. lol

That would be plausible if gang members made homemade jerseys to represent their gang, but they don't. They wear anything with an 18 (or various other numbers, the one I'm most familiar with is 13) no matter the player or the team. And like jsteve said, it's the mistaken identity and muggings and assaults that the school is mostly trying to avoid.

Can you imagine buying your kid a Manning jersey and then having him get beat up at school, or on his way to and from school (which is the biggest concern here) because he had that jersey on?

Northman
09-05-2012, 06:54 PM

People get killed over tennis shoes. The problem isnt the attire, its the individuals themselves.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 06:54 PM
I highly doubt that kid who was wearing the Manning jersey was a gang member.

It's two fold. I explained it in my previous post.

Northman
09-05-2012, 06:58 PM
That would be plausible if gang members made homemade jerseys to represent their gang, but they don't. They wear anything with an 18 (or various other numbers, the one I'm most familiar with is 13) no matter the player or the team. And like jsteve said, it's the mistaken identity and muggings and assaults that the school is mostly trying to avoid.

Can you imagine buying your kid a Manning jersey and then having him get beat up at school, or on his way to and from school (which is the biggest concern here) because he had that jersey on?

As i previously stated, i can send my kid to school in new Jordan's and he probably would get jumped. At what point do you say its not the attire but the individuals themselves? Can you really tell me they dont have a clue who the troublemakers are? If they dont than the school system and law enforcement out there is way worse than i thought.

Day1BroncoFan
09-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Sucks but what can you do? Gangs are a real problem and they don't play nice.

MOtorboat
09-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Well, if you think kids don't get jumped for wearing numbers and colors, you're naive. And let me know when you have a law enforcement agency that can walk home every single kid from school.

Northman
09-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Well, if you think kids don't get jumped for wearing numbers and colors, you're naive. And let me know when you have a law enforcement agency that can walk home every single kid from school.

I never said they dont get jumped for colors or numbers MO. I simply said the problem isnt attire and it isnt strictly related to just numbers and colors. My basic point is your kid could get jumped or killed just for his tennis shoes. What are you going to do? Make him wear flip flops to school? Sure, its a concern but its not the real and only problem. If there is that kind of violence (on a regular basis) than something more needs to be done rather than forcing kids to not wear certain numbers out of fear. At this point, that kind of behavior is just letting them win. Makes no sense to me.

Dzone
09-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Some gangs have initiations like go to a parking lot and beat the shit out of the first person they see, shit like that. Recently Some guy was in a wheel chair and a gang member walked up and punched him in the face as an initiation ritual. If wearing a #18 jersey is putting a child at risk, it aint worth it.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I feel sorry for the little guy, because he is in 3rd grade, and more than likely knows very little or nothing about gangs. However, if they let the kids in elementary school do it, kids in the district who are in middle school and high school would want to be able to do it also, not because they are gang members, but because they like the Broncos.

Nomad
09-05-2012, 07:25 PM
What gang uses 18? Is it that Mexician gang?

I was told around here the Samoans gang initiation is to find a military person in uniform, regardless of branch and gender, and beat this crap out of them. I haven't heard of any incidents since living here though

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I never said they dont get jumped for colors or numbers MO. I simply said the problem isnt attire and it isnt strictly related to just numbers and colors. My basic point is your kid could get jumped or killed just for his tennis shoes. What are you going to do? Make him wear flip flops to school? Sure, its a concern but its not the real and only problem. If there is that kind of violence (on a regular basis) than something more needs to be done rather than forcing kids to not wear certain numbers out of fear. At this point, that kind of behavior is just letting them win. Makes no sense to me.

With all due respect, I'm not sure what your argument is. Are you basically saying, forget about the rules and the assumptions, let the kids wear what they want, and deal with the aftermath later because it's ridiculous to control individual actions when the problem is the individuals?

I certainly see the problems are the individuals. Considering you cannot control the individuals, seems to me like the school is doing the next best thing by stating rules to prevent possibly actions from the uncontrolled individuals.

Gang activity has been a war for decades. I would think if it was that easy to eliminate it it would have been done a long time ago. Unfortunately that's not how our country works. Along with "the land of the free", comes the inability to persecute based on circumstantial assumptions.

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2012, 07:26 PM
What gang uses 18? Is it that Mexician gang?

I was told around here the Samoans gang initiation is to find a military person in uniform, regardless of branch and gender, and beat this crap out of them. I haven't heard of any incidents since living here though

"18th street gang"

NightTerror218
09-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Personally if it were up to me I would beat the shit out of any gang member and then hang em. I have delt with their shit as a kid caught in the middle of a gang shooting. My cousin was beat up in Aurora for not joining a gang, it was join or get beat up.....for a girl to get in to the entire gang the initiation was the guys run a train on her. I would probably beat the shit out a 16 yr old wanna be gang member. I have 0 tolerance for them and if I had a kid harmed by one......I own guns for a reason......protect myself and my family

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
This article explains a lot more

The Denver Broncos' future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning may be the toast of Colorado as the team prepares for the home opener on Sunday, but students in the Greeley-Evans School District better not wear his jersey to class.

The district for several years has imposed a strict dress code on students forbidding certain clothing that could be associated with gangs, including jerseys with the number 18 that could represent the city's notorious 18th Street gang.

The issue hasn't been a problem until this year, when the Broncos signed free agent Manning, who has worn the No.18 for his entire NFL career. It is also the most popular jersey in the country, according to NFLShop.com.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21473182/greeley-school-ban-gang-numbers-includes-peyton-mannings

broncobryce
09-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Who knew Peyton was so gangsta?

Krugan
09-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Overly sad, when as a society, we have to stop kids from wearing a sports jersey because of gang activity.

Time for change, 0 tolerance for gang activity. We need jobs in this country, make more jails and jail these idiots for just being a gang wanker...

Timmy!
09-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Complete horse shit.

tubby
09-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Freaking Beaners

iLands
09-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Gangs?

What is this?

The late 80s? The early 90s?

*eyeroll*

Chef Zambini
09-06-2012, 02:51 AM
this is all too sad and pathetic.
gangs 1
society nothing !
if my kid wants to wear a manning jersey, I buy himpepper spray and a taizer and teacxh him self defense.
I put undercover cops in manning jerseys and let them berat the shit out of any gamg member that wants to mess with him ! afger a week of gang mwmwber getting an ass kicking for ... acting like gang members, maybe they find something else to motivate them?
oif the "LIBRARY GANG" atacks anyone carrying books, do the schools outlaw books?
\ punish the hoodlems, NOT the potential victims !
no solid colors?
wha abouit white shoes afer labor day?

Jsteve01
09-06-2012, 06:35 AM
A Guy in grand junction was murdered last year for wearing the wrong color while eating outside taco bell. And he was an mma competitor. So all this talk of teaching kids to defend themselves is just fine in a vacuum.

TheTruth
09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
rest - http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/05/bronco-fans-told-cant-wear-peyton-manning-jerseys-to-school/#ixzz25clqQsgK

Id prefer a Tbow Jersey anyday. Just sayin

sneakers
09-06-2012, 03:16 PM
lol

weazel
09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
you crazy Americans! ;)

Jsteve01
09-06-2012, 06:28 PM
or to be safe you could go with Tebow's preseason passer rating of 27. I don't think there are any 27 gangs.

Chef Zambini
09-06-2012, 08:02 PM
A Guy in grand junction was murdered last year for wearing the wrong color while eating outside taco bell. And he was an mma competitor. So all this talk of teaching kids to defend themselves is just fine in a vacuum.I dont know how you defend againsta drive by shooting. but i dont think the answer to gang violence and proliferation is adjusting / surrendering a school dress code to meet their demands.
we have a striped uniform with numbers suitable for all ganmg members, perhaps we should be more pro-active in changing their dress code?
I am naive. I live in scottsdlae, we worry about kool and the gang.
is this really a bronco footbal thread?
if a man strangles his wife with a DJ williams jersey does it belong here?

topscribe
09-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Having grown up on a farm & ranch outside Grover, Colo., a little hamlet of
approximately 125 (if you count the horse), about 50 miles north of Greeley, and
then moving into Greeley in 1959, I've long pictured Greeley as the little cowtown
of 30,000. The worst infractions by high school students that I remember were
occasional fist fights and smoking cigarettes behind the school building. Greeley
is where my parents and sister are buried. To hear of those gangs just breaks my
heart.

MasterShake
09-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm more upset at the gangs in this case than I am at the school. Growing up in Commerce City in the 80's and 90's we had similar rules and I always understood why. I can still remember a classmate of mine getting stabbed (not life threatening thank God) waiting for the bus in middle school because he was wearing a Duke shirt. Its not to punish the kid or Broncos fans, its to keep them as safe as possible from dipshit gang members.

Chef Zambini
09-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I understand and respect the desire to keep kids safe, but this is NOT the answer.
this is surrendering to the gangs.
this makes the gangs feel they have power!
this is not how you combat gangs in your neighborhood by allowing them to dictate what your children wear!
do you want to fight gangs in your community or just hide from them?
this is NOT an answer to gang violence, this feeds it, hello?
seriously I wpould round up every undercobver, off duty, c volunteer cop in the entire state and have them all wear #18 jerseys! I would have no doubt the broncos would donate them for free ! I would have them out and about in GREELEY and if they encounter any vilence over the jerseys letb the=m beat the shit out of anyone that does, they pull a weapon, marshall law ! take them out ! any weapon ! they pull a knife, you call the morgue !
in a month, no gang problem !
n ow gangs feel they have power over society, dictating what our kids can wear!
how did it come to this?
ostrich mentality making decisions to avoid the problem, rather than addressing it !

MOtorboat
09-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I understand and respect the desire to keep kids safe, but this is NOT the answer.
this is surrendering to the gangs.
this makes the gangs feel they have power!
this is not how you combat gangs in your neighborhood by allowing them to dictate what your children wear!
do you want to fight gangs in your community or just hide from them?
this is NOT an answer to gang violence, this feeds it, hello?
seriously I wpould round up every undercobver, off duty, c volunteer cop in the entire state and have them all wear #18 jerseys! I would have no doubt the broncos would donate them for free ! I would have them out and about in GREELEY and if they encounter any vilence over the jerseys letb the=m beat the shit out of anyone that does, they pull a weapon, marshall law ! take them out ! any weapon ! they pull a knife, you call the morgue !
in a month, no gang problem !
n ow gangs feel they have power over society, dictating what our kids can wear!
how did it come to this?
ostrich mentality making decisions to avoid the problem, rather than addressing it !

That is a terrible solution, on so many levels. It's not even remotely plausible, and it wouldn't solve anything.

Besides the fact that its probably not legal...

Chef Zambini
09-06-2012, 09:48 PM
That is a terrible solution, on so many levels. It's not even remotely plausible, and it wouldn't solve anything.eat my excrement.
dont fight gangs, yield to them, yes, that is a much betteer solution, m y bad.
I am sure that mentality is exactly why the gangs are so under control in greeley.
silly me.

MOtorboat
09-06-2012, 09:56 PM
eat my excrement.
dont fight gangs, yield to them, yes, that is a much betteer solution, m y bad.
I am sure that mentality is exactly why the gangs are so under control in greeley.
silly me.

Get law enforcement to volunteer their time to dress up in gang gear and head out to shoot the gang members. That's what you suggested. That's inane, and not plausible.

You fight gangs like Denver fought gangs. Through community leaders, especially those of the same race as the members of those gangs. In this particular situation, from the Hispanic population of Greeley, and combat it through the church and through those who can relate to the gang members.

You also battle drug dealing through undercover means and task forces. You also institute policies (such as this one) in the schools, and educate children about the problems that gangs cause, specifically violence and drugs.

There are plausible ways to fix a gang problem, and believe thwarting it in the schools by a.) not allowing kids to wear gang-affiliated stuff to both protect the innocent kids and keep kids from affiliating with their gang for at least eight hours of the day and b.) educating teachers about who those high-risk children could be, and the warning signs of what might lead to it and getting those teachers to report it, both to the administration and then, in turn, getting administration to report it to the police.

Dressing cops up in Manning jerseys and swarming the city is asinine.

Chef Zambini
09-06-2012, 11:32 PM
mo you should be the mayor of greeley !

MOtorboat
09-06-2012, 11:32 PM
mo you should be the mayor of greeley !

Common sense, and a little research.

Try it next time.

Chef Zambini
09-07-2012, 12:12 AM
"...combat it through the church and through those who can relate to the gang members."
so very plausable, on so many levels.

Chef Zambini
09-07-2012, 01:00 AM
we need to educate gang members.
they need to learn what the fat end of an aluminum bat feels like against their skulls.
then, I can teach them how to type and spell.

OrangeFanatic
09-07-2012, 07:20 AM
You fight gangs like Denver fought gangs. Through community leaders, especially those of the same race as the members of those gangs. In this particular situation, from the Hispanic population of Greeley, and combat it through the church and through those who can relate to the gang members.

You also battle drug dealing through undercover means and task forces. You also institute policies (such as this one) in the schools, and educate children about the problems that gangs cause, specifically violence and drugs.

There are plausible ways to fix a gang problem, and believe thwarting it in the schools by a.) not allowing kids to wear gang-affiliated stuff to both protect the innocent kids and keep kids from affiliating with their gang for at least eight hours of the day and b.) educating teachers about who those high-risk children could be, and the warning signs of what might lead to it and getting those teachers to report it, both to the administration and then, in turn, getting administration to report it to the police.

Yeah that TOTALLY worked in Denver. Gang problem eliminated.

BroncoJoe
09-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Yeah that TOTALLY worked in Denver. Gang problem eliminated.

Why do you think the problem is now in Greeley?

2- Minute Warning
09-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Having grown up on a farm & ranch outside Grover, Colo., a little hamlet of
approximately 125 (if you count the horse), about 50 miles north of Greeley, and
then moving into Greeley in 1959, I've long pictured Greeley as the little cowtown
of 30,000. The worst infractions by high school students that I remember were
occasional fist fights and smoking cigarettes behind the school building. Greeley
is where my parents and sister are buried. To hear of those gangs just breaks my
heart.
Same here, only time I attended school in Greeley was Kindergarten..and I wasn't too rowdy... yet... :cool:

Greeley is where my Grandparents retired to, Highland Hills.
Back when there were fields between houses to play in.
Most Holidays were spent there.
One of Glenn Miller's brothers lived across the street, was my first Dentist.
Many good times.

While I did move a LOT, always came home to Greeley, where I felt safe.
Went to some mean schools in So. California and inner city Colorado Springs.
It is no fun at all...

Graduated at Air Academy high school north of the Springs.
Great school, also felt very safe there which was a nice change.

Ravage!!!
09-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Okay...

I wonder if these numbers have also been banned from the district's High School football teams? If they aren't, it's hypocrisy at the highest levels. When I was in high school, we always wore our football jerseys to school on game days. So much nonsense.

You would take it off or simply be sent home. I"m sure you would take it off.

The numbers were listed. They talked with Dreesen about it (#81..the reverse of 18, which is also banned)..... and he says he doesn't have a problem with it.

You people do realize, that the reason the number was banned is because kids had been targeted purely BECAUSE of wearing the number, right? ITs not just some random idea. This "priorities" are messed up is just the opposite of the truth. The system is trying to keep the kids safe.... and not just the ones WEARING a number. Its a pretty simple concept. If you are wearing a number 18 at school, you could be looked upon as a member of the 18th streeet gang, and could not only become a target, but put people around you in danger as well. How is that a messed up priority? :confused:

Ravage!!!
09-07-2012, 10:29 AM

But they, the school district, KNOWS that this is a problem. They KNOW that #18 and #13, #31 and #81, are SERIOUS problems. The gangs make EXAMPLES of people wearing those numbers PURELY to make a point. Has nothing to do with the victim, and everything to do with the #18. Does an elemetary kid understand that and turn their heads knowing that kid is putting his LIFE in danger simply because he wants to wear Manning jersey?

So you may feel that its "letting them win"...but making a stand, with a kid's life, isn't going to change anything....other than having a dead child.