PDA

View Full Version : Moss is back

broncofaninfla
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 4, 2009 4:49 PM ET
The drama in Denver is over, at least concerning Jarvis Moss.

Mike Shanahan's 2007 first-round pick has officially ended his three day kinda-sorta contemplation about retirement.

Moss was in uniform Tuesday for Denver's afternoon practice (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/04/jarvis-moss-back-at-practice/) and will re-start the process of trying to make to make the Broncos.

A roster spot isn't guaranteed, but staying at camp will ensure that the Broncos don't go after his signing bonus.

(And yeah, the exclamation point may have been unnecessary, but I'm no Mark Sanchez (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/05/01/mark-sanchez-likes-his-exclamation-points/).)

T.K.O.
08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
whew thank goodness !!!!!!!!
ok i am a little glad that we havnt wasted that 17th pick.......yet
c'mon jarvis your a great athlete,now find something to be awesome at and DO IT !(nick greison just made a spot for you on the roster....take it ):salute:

Lonestar
08-05-2009, 03:26 AM
"A roster spot isn't guaranteed, but staying at camp will ensure that the Broncos don't go after his signing bonus."

Sounds like this is his motivation.. not I can;t live without football and just got discouraged last week..

anton...
08-05-2009, 05:19 AM
meh...

who cares?

he is officially a bust and only came back because he doesnt want to pay back $3 mil...

he wants to be cut so he can "retire" and he will be cut...

sneakers
08-05-2009, 05:46 AM
How old is he 24? 25? He isn't exactly washed up yet.

Dirk
08-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Unless he changes his mentality and actually proves to McD and Nolan that he deserves to be on the team...I agree he will be cut.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2009, 10:50 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13008576

Jarvis Moss needed some time away, but that didn't mean he was going to retire.

In his first public comments since returning to the Broncos, Moss, the team's first-round draft pick in 2007, today said he never considered quitting football when he left training camp for three days earlier this week. He missed five practices from Saturday through Monday before returning on Tuesday.

"Life stuff caught up to me and I needed time to myself," Moss said. "Coach gave me a few days to get my stuff together before I came back out here, and I did that."

Moss, who turned 25 on Monday, is learning to play outside linebacker for coach Josh McDaniels' new 3-4 defense. When camp opened last Friday, Moss was behind four other players at the position, not including rookie Robert Ayers, who didn't arrive until Monday afternoon.

But Moss said his issues were "bigger than football," and that reports that he was going to retire were "not true at all."

"A lot of stuff got blown out of proportion and that's out of my control. It was supposed to be between me and coach, but it got out and turned into 'retirement,' " Moss said. "I'm not a quitter. I've never quit at anything. I'm here and I'm working and I'm trying to control the things I can control."

McDaniels repeatedly has declined to comment about the personal issues Moss was dealing with.

Moss was drafted at No. 17 overall in 2007 and signed a five-year contract worth $14.95 million with $8.06 million guaranteed. He played in six games as a rookie, with one start, and had one sack before breaking his fibula in practice in early November.

Despite returning healthy for 2008, Moss never broke into the starting lineup last season and played primarily on passing downs. He played in 12 games and had 2.5 sacks.

Defensive lineman Marcus Thomas, Moss' closest friend on the team, said earlier this week that Moss "just wanted to prove to everybody that he's good."

Moss said Thomas' comment was "real accurate," and admitted that he has at times struggled to deal with outside expectations.

"I had a tough time since I got to the league, with injuries and just struggling to stand out," Moss said. "It's a pressure pot. Things build up and people start pointing fingers, like 'Oh he's not this and that,' and that's what I've got to live with. I can deal with it. I'm learning to take that every single day and keep working."

OldschoolFreak
08-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Everyone's pretty much written him off at this point. So what a nice surprise it would be if we got some decent production out of the kid. I still hope he can do it.

MOtorboat
08-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Everyone's pretty much written him off at this point. So what a nice surprise it would be if we got some decent production out of the kid. I still hope he can do it.

I believe he got a "sack" on the first play of the scrimmage last night.

P.S.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/practice-at-invesco-live-blog/

7:00 p.m. MDT: Simms in the shotgun, drops back and Jarvis Moss roars back for what would have been a sack. Play continues, however, and Simms gets a quick pass off to Chad Jackson. The next play has the quarterback in shotgun again, this time stepping up and finding Royal, who tight-roped the sideline for what appeared to be a catch — but was waived out of bounds by the referee.