PDA

View Full Version : RebelRocker's 2012 season prediction

RebelRocker
09-03-2012, 10:40 PM
AFC
AFC West
Oakland-6-10
The Raiders are a team in transition. They have a solid vet QB, but they have a lot of question marks with the rest of the offense. They won't be terrible, but I don't know if they can compete with the other 3 teams in this division, for now.

San Diego-7-9
I don't get how people can say the Chargers will contend this year. Between the loss of talent(Jackson, Tolbert, etc) and the mass amount of injuries(specifically, the o-line), I don't know how the Chargers are anything more than average this year. I could see them getting another win or two, but I think 7-9 is a safe guess for a team with a rash of injuries and a sudden lack of talent that they once had in previous years.

Kansas City-8-8
If KC had a better QB, they'd make the playoffs (if not win the division). They probably have the most talented roster in the division, but they can only go so far with Matt Cassel at QB. If Cassel doesn't deliver this year, expect KC to go for a QB early next year. You can take that one to the bank. Let's just hope KC isn't in the position to pull a Washington and give up a stable of draft pics to get Matt Barkley or any other highly rated QB next year.

Denver-10-6
If it were any other year, we'd probably be 12-4 or 13-3. Our schedule this season is just too brutal to rack up that many regular season wins. We are an improved team that made the playoffs last year. Our division is becoming more competitive, but I think we repeat as AFC west champs this year.

AFC North

Cleveland-5-11
Like Oakland, this is a team in transition. They could be on the right path, but this season will have to play out before we can make a concrete decision on this team.

Pittsburgh-8-8
injuries, terrible o-line, aging defense, new offensive scheme and a fiercely competitive AFC North will factor into Pittsburgh's schedule this year.

Cincinatti-9-7
Young team on the rise. Made the playoffs last year and I expect them to stay the same. Solid, above average team.

Baltimore-13-3
They're clearly the favorites to win this division, if not the entire AFC. A complete fluke kept them from taking a trip to the Super Bowl last season. I expect this team to go deep in the playoffs again this year and finally reach the big game.

AFC South

Indianapolis-4-12
Young team in a complete rebuild. Outside of the QB position, they have so much work to do. Colts fans should be patient for a few years, because it'll be a while before they sniff the postseason again.

Jacksonville-6-10
New coach, same problems. The defense will be solid, but I'll have to see more from the passing offense before I give them a better record. Consider 6-10 to be pretty generous, on my part.

Tennessee-7-9
Jake Locker's first year as a starter will have its ups and downs. It's a solid, competitive team. I like the QB, but this team has the makings to be mediocre for a while.

Houston-13-3
Defending champs in a division that appears to be getting weaker. A+ running game, Reliable QB play, big name receiver, Top 10 defense and nobody to compete with them in their division makes them the obvious favorite. Expect them to battle with Baltimore for the AFC crown.

AFC East

Miami-3-13
If we've seen anything from Hard Knocks this year, it's that this team has SO much work to do before they can be considered competitive again. Joe Philbin strikes me as a coach that the players will respect and really play for or will completely tune out and he will be out of the job within a year or two. Either way, it won't be another "3 year stop gap" coach for the Dolphins. Philbin will either succeed or fail quickly. It all depends on how much time the Dolphins FO will give him.

New York-6-10
All drama aside, this team is on the downhill slide. If preseason performance factors into anything, they have proven to be the most pathetic offense in the NFL. The defense is still solid, but if the offense continues its preseason woes into the regular season, I'll have to re-consider the record I gave them.

Buffalo-10-6
This is my sleeper team for this season. They got off to a great start last year and fizzled down the stretch. They had a good off-season with solidifying their defense and building on their explosive offense. They're is the only team in the division that had little or no change to their schemes this off-season. I expect Buffalo to finally end their playoff drought this year.

New England-12-4
The offense itself is just too good to not win this division for the Pats. Too bad their defense if miles behind. They're still a top notch team, but that defense will be their achilles heel.

Playoff teams
1.Baltimore
2.Houston
3.New England
4.Denver
5.Buffalo
6.Cincinatti

Wild Card
New England > Cincinnati
Denver > Buffalo

Divisonal
Baltimore > Denver
Houston > New England

Championship
Baltimore > Houston

AFC CHAMPS- BALTIMORE

Verdict
There has been a pattern in this conference for the last 9 years. The AFC representative in the super bowl during that span have been a rotation between 3 teams (New England, Pittsburgh and Indianapolis). With the Colts rebuilding, the Steelers dealing with an age crisis and New England reaching the final years of the Brady era, the conference is starting to experience a power shift. Teams like Baltimore, Houston, Denver, KC, Buffalo and Cincy are suddenly surging and it seems highly unlikely that this "3 team AFC streak" will last much longer. Somebody else will break through and they'll do it this year.

I'll post my NFC predictions next

RebelRocker
09-03-2012, 10:41 PM
NFC

NFC West

St. Louis 4-12
The stench on this team just won't wear off. New regime, more questions to be answered. We'll see if they finally got some adequate weapons for Sam Bradford.

Arizona 6-10
This team is talented enough to make a playoff run, but for the 3rd straight year, their QB situation is a mess. I could see them winning 10 games.... But I can also see this team winning 4 or 5 games. All lies on the QB. If the Whisenhunt regime survives after this season, they HAVE to get a franchise QB and settle that situation, once and for all.

Seattle-9-7
I originally had this team at 7 wins, but after seeing what they had to offer in the pre-season, it appears that they have more bite than I originally thought. With an energetic QB, great running game, a strong defense and a weakened division(outside of San Fran), Seattle could put themselves in a wild card run at the end of the season.

San Francisco-11-5
For the 2nd straight year, the most talented team in the division walks away with the crown. They should hope that they can still make some noise in the playoffs because Seattle will make a push in the near future to take the division title away from them.

NFC North

Minnesota-4-12
They just suck. A team in total rebuild that coincidentally lies in the toughest division in the NFL is a recipe for disaster. Everybody else in the NFC North is a playoff contender, except them. It's going to be a while before Minnesota reaches the postseason again. Looks like they did sell their soul for that ONE magical season in 2009.

Chicago-9-7
Improved team that will make a push. The aging defense and the 0-line is still a bit of a concern, though.

Detroit-10-6
I could see Detroit and Chicago flipping records, but Detroit's offense is just too powerful. They will be another wild card team in the NFC this upcoming season. The real challenge will be getting past the elite teams.

Green Bay-13-3
Is this really a surprise? Moving on...

NFC South

Tampa Bay-6-10
They are a team in transition. I really like the direction they're heading in, but they have some re-tooling to do before they can make a serious playoff push. This is Josh Freeman's 4th year at the helm. He had a good sophomore campaign, but it's time for him to take the next step. Fortunately for the Bucs, the current CBA is friendly to their situation and if Freeman falters this year, it won't cost a lot to draft a QB high next year. Either Freeman solidifies his job as the QB or they move on and draft someone next year. Either way, the Bucs are going in a good direction.

Carolina-8-8
They have all of the pieces, they just need some more development from all aspects of the game. They will be a tough team to play against.

New Orleans-9-7
Even with all of the turmoil, that offense is too potent to have a disappointing season. They won't make the playoffs, but they will be right in it.

Atlanta-10-6
By being the most consistent team, I feel like Atlanta wins this division by default. While the other 3 teams are going through growing pains, Atlanta appears to be on the same wavelength they have been for a few years. They win the division, but they won't be as fortunate in the postseason.

NFC East

Dallas-6-10
I'm sorry, but I just have a feeling this team takes a step back this year. They're way too inconsistent to contend for the playoffs, especially with their division getting back to its old self.

Washington-7-9
They will be an improved team that can compete, but they're still a year away from playoff contention. They're in way too tough of a division to realistically expect playoff results this year.

New York-10-6
The defending Super Bowl champs are going through a rash of injuries on the defensive side of the ball. If that continues throughout the regular season, their record will show for it. They will still be a dangerous team, but they have to get healthy if they want to repeat as Super Bowl champs.

Philadelphia-11-5
and the team that edges out the Giants for the division title will be the most talented team in this division. The Eagles learned from the error of their ways last season and through an unfortunate tragedy, they will rally around Andy Reid like never before. This team will be ready to fight, regardless of the circumstances. Even with Vick's injury history, rookie Nick Foles has proven that he's ready for the limelight and he appears to be the heir apparent to Vick. Look for this team to be fighting for the NFC title to the very end.

Playoff teams
1.Green Bay
2.Philadelphia
3.San Francisco
4.Atlanta
5.New York
6.Detroit

Wild Card
Detroit > San Francisco
New York > Atlanta

Divisional
Green Bay > Detroit
Philadelphia > New York

Championship
Green Bay > Philadelphia

NFC Champs- Green Bay

Verdict- The NFC has become the stronger conference and although Green bay is pulling away as the favorite, I could see any of the 6 teams that make the playoffs go on a Super Bowl run.

SUPER BOWL PREDICTION

Green Bay- 24 Baltimore- 16

I could easily see any argument for the 4 teams that make the championship games to win it all this year. My prediction is just an educated guess.

UnderArmour
09-04-2012, 07:05 AM
The AFC North sent 3 teams last year only because they had the fortune of playing both the AFC South and NFC West. The Bengals last year were NOT a playoff caliber team, regardless of what any analyst wants to say about them. There is no way they make the playoffs again this year. Their wins last year were Cleveland, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Seattle, Tennessee, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Arizona. Do you have any idea how pathetic that is? They even lost to us while we were starting Orton and we were so thin at WR we were forced to line Tebow up in the slot. Sorry, you really need to take them out and put another team in. They just do not belong. They did not belong last year and they certainly do not belong this year. They will be lucky to finish .500 this year. I would give the final slot to Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Tebow, or one of the teams from our division.

(Source: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/cin/year/2011 )

Northman
09-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Not bad Rebel although i disagree about the Eagles. They have talent but the are too inconsistent to take seriously.

CoachChaz
09-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Not bad Rebel although i disagree about the Eagles. They have talent but the are too inconsistent to take seriously.

I find it entertaining how many people pass on Philly...mostly based on how they started last year. Keep in mind they added a lot of players last year and had minimal chemistry and an inexperienced DC. This is a team that won 5 of it's last 7 to finish 8-8 with the #8 ranked defense. Asomugha wont be played as a hybrid CB/S this year and will shut down one side of the field like he has in the past and did at the end of last season. They've also added a Pro-Bowl MLB and a stud rookie in Kendricks to a weak LB core and Flethcer Cox and Vinny Curry to a strong DL. Safety is probably their only weak spot on defense.

Offensively, they are young and athletic and added a mountain in Bell. McCoy now has muscle in the backfield to help. DeSean Jackson is DeSean Jackson, Jason Avant is the best slot in the game and Celek is very uderrated at TE.

As far as the QB's. Vick is always a risk for injury, but I think they have a great back-up for the WCO in Trent Edwards. Gone are the days of Kevin Kolb and Vince Young and in comes a player with starter experience that has completed over 60% of his career passes on a bad team. And I say Edwards at the #2 because I dont really believe Andy Reid will let a rookie start in a division that will be very competitive, regardless of how well Foles has looked in the pre-season.

As I have said to countless Giants and Cowboys friends...dont fall asleep on the Eagles yet.

Northman
09-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I find it entertaining how many people pass on Philly...mostly based on how they started last year. Keep in mind they added a lot of players last year and had minimal chemistry and an inexperienced DC. This is a team that won 5 of it's last 7 to finish 8-8 with the #8 ranked defense. Asomugha wont be played as a hybrid CB/S this year and will shut down one side of the field like he has in the past and did at the end of last season. They've also added a Pro-Bowl MLB and a stud rookie in Kendricks to a weak LB core and Flethcer Cox and Vinny Curry to a strong DL. Safety is probably their only weak spot on defense.

Offensively, they are young and athletic and added a mountain in Bell. McCoy now has muscle in the backfield to help. DeSean Jackson is DeSean Jackson, Jason Avant is the best slot in the game and Celek is very uderrated at TE.

As far as the QB's. Vick is always a risk for injury, but I think they have a great back-up for the WCO in Trent Edwards. Gone are the days of Kevin Kolb and Vince Young and in comes a player with starter experience that has completed over 60% of his career passes on a bad team. And I say Edwards at the #2 because I dont really believe Andy Reid will let a rookie start in a division that will be very competitive, regardless of how well Foles has looked in the pre-season.

As I have said to countless Giants and Cowboys friends...dont fall asleep on the Eagles yet.

Ill take that bet. :D

MileHighCrew
09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I have Philly winning their division in the picks I made a couple weeks ago too. I don't think anyone should be over looking them.

CoachChaz
09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Ill take that bet. :D

I'm not guaranteeing anything...but I still have Philly winning the division. Their schedule isnt easy, but I like them better than Dallas or NYG

Nomad
09-04-2012, 09:22 AM

Raiders get picked every year by some but they're in the same boat.....talk a lot but doesn't show up on the field. I was watching Mike and Mike earlier and Texans seem to be the favorites by most, I believe the other was the Packers or 9ers.

CoachChaz
09-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Houston is a boat I have a hard time getting on. 3 offensive weapons, average line and middle of the pack defense just dont scream Super Bowl to me. Their deivision makes them look better. They're kind of the 49ers of the AFC.

MOtorboat
09-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Houston is a boat I have a hard time getting on. 3 offensive weapons, average line and middle of the pack defense just dont scream Super Bowl to me. Their deivision makes them look better. They're kind of the 49ers of the AFC.

And they lost their best defensive player to free agency.

I still think they win that division, though, unless Luck is a true wunderkind.

Northman
09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Raiders get picked every year by some but they're in the same boat.....talk a lot but doesn't show up on the field. I was watching Mike and Mike earlier and Texans seem to be the favorites by most, I believe the other was the Packers or 9ers.

Philly is more talented and better coached than the faid. However, like the Raiders the Eagles have certain tendencies, especially towards the end of the season. I still stand by my prediction that somewhere along the line this year Vick either gets benched or hurt and Foles comes in. But because he is a rookie i dont see them making it. I think the Giants still take the division.

CoachChaz
09-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Philly is more talented and better coached than the faid. However, like the Raiders the Eagles have certain tendencies, especially towards the end of the season. I still stand by my prediction that somewhere along the line this year Vick either gets benched or hurt and Foles comes in. But because he is a rookie i dont see them making it. I think the Giants still take the division.

Assuming Eli stays healthy. The Giants OL is pretty bad.

I wont put money on it, but I have a gut feeling that Vick has one of those "why cant he do this every year" type of seasons.

MileHighCrew
09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I have the Giants missing the playoffs finishing third behind Philly and the Cowboi's

NightTerror218
09-04-2012, 12:25 PM
the Giants last year (incase people were not paying attention) lost 2 of their 3 starting LBs in preseason (IR). They still won. That team has incredible depth on defense and even with injuries no players are on IR this year so far. This team will cream cowgirls and will topple Eagles. That is going to be their division for sometime. The Eagles are over rated and will drop like the Jets did. That is the only thing i argue with in the NFC. Otherwise looks good. I think Houston can topple the Ravens who just can not make that push. They are missing their best defensive player and have not shown to have incredible defensive depth yet. This year will tell.

CoachChaz
09-04-2012, 12:29 PM
I still dont think they are that special at LB. In fact, I would say that Williams, Mays and Miller are better than Boley, Blackburn and Kiwanuka. As far as depth...I'd take Woodyard, Irving and Trevathan over Williams, Rivers and Herzlich. Not exactly in love with their CB's either

nevcraw
09-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Good stuff! only thing I would comment on is the "solid vet" statement on Palmer. from all accounts (well not all) but what I've heard on NFL Sirius radio is that his arm could be shot. If this is remotely true the raiders will have only McFadden to feature on offense.