PDA

View Full Version : Davis on DJ: He’s the face of the defense

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/04/davis-on-dj-hes-the-face-of-the-defense/

Davis on DJ: He’s the face of the defense
by Lindsay Jones on August 4, 2009

Part of the fun part of training camp has been watching how the numerous free agent additions have meshed with the holdovers from the Mike Shanahan regime.

One interesting new partnership is at inside linebacker, with starters Andra Davis and D.J. Williams. Davis spent 7 years in Cleveland before coming to Denver as a free agent in early March. He will play the strongside inside linebacker spot like he did the Browns’ 3-4 defense (he started all 16 games last season). Williams is starting his sixth year in Denver and is playing his fourth different linebacker spot (all three spots when Denver was a 4-3 defense) and now the “Jack” position — the weakside inside linebacker.

Davis said so far he’s very impressed with what he’s seen from his new teammate.

“DJ, he’s unbelievable. I knew he was good, but to be able to see him each and every day, his approach to his game, his overall athletic ability, you see that he is the total package,” Davis said. “I see why he got a big contract, I see why he was a first-round pick and I see why he’s the face of this defense.”

I’m not sure if fans or media would necessarily call Williams the “face of the defense” — I’d probably first think of Champ Bailey — but this quote from Davis shows how Williams is regarded in the locker room.

Bronco4ever
08-04-2009, 02:06 PM
That is good endorsement for my adopt-a-Bronco.

Lonestar
08-04-2009, 02:34 PM
well he may be an instinctive player he certainly is not a Mensa candidate..

lets hope he has a great year..

nevcraw
08-04-2009, 03:26 PM
well he may be an instinctive player he certainly is not a Mensa candidate..lets hope he has a great year..

You know this how?

Ahhhh - the internet.. who knew people's IQ and over-all mental capacity is available and on display at Bing.com

NightTrainLayne
08-04-2009, 04:03 PM
You know this how?

Ahhhh - the internet.. who knew people's IQ and over-all mental capacity is available and on display at Bing.com

I bet when DJ logs onto Facebook, he gets an ad that says "EVERYONE thinks that they're smarter than you."

:rolleyes:

nevcraw
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
I bet when DJ logs onto Facebook, he gets an ad that says "EVERYONE thinks that they're smarter than you."

:rolleyes:
:welcome:"Hey D.J> - J.R.'s IQ is 150.. Can you beat it?". Clicke here>>>>

dogfish
08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
seriously JR, why is everyone an idiot in your eyes? just because DJ doesn't have the greatest football instincts doesn't mean that the guy's not bright-- the two don't go hand-in-hand. . . hell, there have been plenty of guys with great football instincts who are dumber than rocks off the field. . . .

and i agree with carol. . . while it's nice to hear DJ get some well-deserved praise, and you know davis has to stick up for his fellow 'backer, but in the greater scheme of things DJ will always be carrying champ's cleats-- just like everyone else on this defense. . . . :D

Dirk
08-05-2009, 06:32 AM
As I stated before in another thread, I just don't get the whole DJ thing.

I understand that he is extremely athletic but I just don't get it.

But....make me a believer DJ! I will be the first to say I'm wrong! Man oh man! Only 5 days until preseason officially begins!!

CoachChaz
08-05-2009, 09:31 AM
O-v-e-r-r-a-t-e-d

LTC Pain
08-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Neither DJ or Champ are the "face" of the defense. Our defense is being rebuilt and until it starts shutting down the other team forget having a "face". We can revisit this at the mid-point of the season.

Dean
08-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Neither DJ or Champ are the "face" of the defense. Our defense is being rebuilt and until it starts shutting down the other team forget having a "face". We can revisit this at the mid-point of the season.

By the phrase "face of the defense", I assume that they mean the man the rest look up to and follow. Whether it is the first day of practice or the last game. Whether the defense is superior or terrible. There will be one or two leaders. IMO they are saying that DJ is one of those.

As a coach, the first day of practice you can usually identify who that person is. The players look at and treat him differently.

LRtagger
08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
By the phrase "face of the defense", I assume that they mean the man the rest look up to and follow. Whether it is the first day of practice or the last game. Whether the defense is superior or terrible. There will be one or two leaders. IMO they are saying that DJ is one of those.

As a coach, the first day of practice you can usually identify who that person is. The players look at and treat him differently.

Easily that player is Dawkins right now

Ravage!!!
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Dawkins was when he was the past Dawkins.

I don't know why people try to criticize DJ's intelligence or his instincts. Its his instincts that have allowed him to survive 4 changes in 6 years. Its his FOOTBALL intelligence that has allowed him to continue to play well, despite never getting a chance to get a foothold on a single spot. ITs his athletic ability, and intelligence, that allows the coordinators to continue to move him where the defense needs him most, and around the other players on the field.

CoachChaz
08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
DJ is definitely versatile, but saying or assuming he's an upper echelon LB is a stretch.

Say what you will about Dawkins, but until he has a season where he proves that age has caught up with him, he is still an elite safety in this league and his presence, experience and achievements demand respect on the field.

Ravage!!!
08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Say what you will about Dawkins, but until he has a season where he proves that age has caught up with him, he is still an elite safety in this league and his presence, experience and achievements demand respect on the field.

I agree with you to a degree. I think his play has dropped, thus why the Eagles were willing to let him go. But I do agree that he has always been a top safety.

Lonestar
08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Davis was blowing smoke up his skirt.

Any self respecting player is going follow a sure HOF player in Dawkins.

As far as DJ is concerned he was less than awe inspiring as aleader during his stint as MLB.

Let's hope he can learn yet another position and play it well. I suspect since he is not overly cerebal his instinctual and athlete side will shine. And he may be a leader like Champ is by example but neither is going to be an emoitional one like Wilson or Lynch was.

CoachChaz
08-05-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree with you to a degree. I think his play has dropped, thus why the Eagles were willing to let him go. But I do agree that he has always been a top safety.

Age will take it's toll on anyone, but show me a safety that is as productive or intense as Dawkins at 35. It's like the guy still thinks he's 25 and that's alright by me

TXBRONC
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM

In other words they're trying to say he's a leader right?

TXBRONC
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Age will take it's toll on anyone, but show me a safety that is as productive or intense as Dawkins at 35. It's like the guy still thinks he's 25 and that's alright by me

Did you the hit that Dawkins laid on one our rookie tight ends a couple of days ago.

CoachChaz
08-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Did you the hit that Dawkins laid on one our rookie tight ends a couple of days ago.

Yep. Fortunately, he's just one of those ageless wonders and I can foresee him in the same role that Polamalu has in Pitt. Should be fun to watch him this year

LRtagger
08-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Whether Dawkins has lost a step or two is irrelevant. He brings passion to a defense that had ZERO last year. Just having him on the field to pump the guys up should be enough to see this defense step up its intensity a couple notches.

Lynch had lost a step in his final couple years, but he brought intensity to this defense which is exactly what I expect from Dawkins....and something that neither Champ nor DJ provide.

dogfish
08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Whether Dawkins has lost a step or two is irrelevant.

not if he's isolated on dallas clark down the field. . . .

i agree with you that he'll bring leadership and accountability, though. . . but in a best case scenario, it would be REALLY nice to see one or two of our young guys starting to provide some of that, so that we don't have to keep bringing in vets at the tail end of their career to provide it. . . i see woodyard being a likely candidate if he's on the field for any significant amount of snaps. . . or maybe larsen. . . otherwise, i'm not sure if we have any young guys like that on the roster. . .

LRtagger
08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
not if he's isolated on dallas clark down the field. . . .

Only if it is in the playoffs...which if we make the playoffs, Dawkins will have a large hand in that IMO

i agree with you that he'll bring leadership and accountability, though. . . but in a best case scenario, it would be REALLY nice to see one or two of our young guys starting to provide some of that, so that we don't have to keep bringing in vets at the tail end of their career to provide it. . . i see woodyard being a likely candidate if he's on the field for any significant amount of snaps. . . or maybe larsen. . . otherwise, i'm not sure if we have any young guys like that on the roster. . .

My hope is (and I feel this is the new staff's plan and the reason they drafted heavy in the secondary) that the vets will teach the young guys how to play in the NFL. We potentially could have a very good YOUNG secondary in a couple years...both in the fact that they are good players and the fact that they will be learning from a HOF CB and a HOF Safety.