PDA

View Full Version : Draft value

Jsteve01
09-01-2012, 12:58 AM
It's a little early to assess the real strength or value of the past two classes but when you take into consideration the fact that Everyone drafted in the past two seasons other than Mike Mohammed is still on the roster it emphasizes just how bare the cupboard was after Josh left and what a good job the current regime is doing of getting the right guy at their slot. I've had a few beefs with picks the past two years, but when you see Virtually every player not only as depth but rotational players it's pretty exciting.

Ziggy
09-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Mohamed may be put on the practice squad tomorrow as well. The only one that you might argue didn't earn his roster spot this year was Phillip Blake. Olineman take two or three years to develop on the average so he may be a project that they didnt want to lose on waivers.

rationalfan
09-02-2012, 11:05 PM
These things are like Rorschach tests, you see in them what you want to see.

Jsteve01
09-03-2012, 08:54 AM
You call yourself rational and yet I find you mostly contrarian. You're right having everyone from two consecutive drafts still with the team isn't that exciting. Just perception. I'd much rather be spending future 1s on Guys we cu the next year.

rationalfan
09-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Uh, how is making the point that perception is subjective a contrarian statement?

Jsteve01
09-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Its not perception. There wasn some power play to push out great player from the mcd regime. That was the silliness that went on under Josh. This team was bereft of talent and depth two years ago and in the habit of using picks and players like monopoly money. Now we are drafting impact players and seeing said impact on the field.

rationalfan
09-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Those draft habits preceded mcd, too.

And, I think it's a little premature to call these last two draft classes a success. I hope they are, but a lot can change in two years.

Jsteve01
09-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Right so maybe you would like to read the first sentence of my original post again.

Dean
09-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Those draft habits preceded mcd, too.

And, I think it's a little premature to call these last two draft classes a success. I hope they are, but a lot can change in two years.

A whole lot has changed these last two years.

dogfish
09-03-2012, 01:14 PM
You call yourself rational and yet I find you mostly contrarian.

bingo. . . :lol:

Chef Zambini
09-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I have serious questions about this years draft, not jus the players but the positions wer addressed ! dropping OUT of the first round TWICE?
using our second pick overall on a QB who has to be put on lay away?
cant beat out an incompeyent as a back-up?
not worthy of real gamer action?
serious concerns from me !
linbacker? safety?
hello?

MOtorboat
09-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I have serious questions about this years draft, not jus the players but the positions wer addressed ! dropping OUT of the first round TWICE?
linbacker? safety?
hello?

If they had drafted a safety this year, it would be idiotic. They drafted two last year. They addressed glaring needs, defensive line and long-term quarterback. Plus they picked up a running back they like. I don't necessarily share the same concerns you do...

Now, they HAVE to address middle linebacker next year.

iLands
09-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Now, they HAVE to address middle linebacker next year.

We'll see how the scheme goes. Mays could be successful or our Mike of the future could be on the roster. I'm glad they didn't make a snap decision here as we'll know much more as the season progresses.

As you said, we just drafted two safeties.

Personally, I loved the last draft and was quite high on it at the time. I'm glad to see Malik and Trev panned out as I had hoped. The only real disappointment for me is Blake, but we'll see where we are with him after further development.

rationalfan
09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
You call yourself rational and yet I find you mostly contrarian.

bingo. . . :lol:

Disagreeing with everything = contrarian

Disagreeing with some things = normal.

Superchop 7
09-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Or.....the fact they are all making the roster could be Johns ego.

Perception vs reality.

Our depth is suspect......what they see vs what I have seen on the field?

Ego.

Cugel
09-03-2012, 09:41 PM
linbacker? safety?
hello?

Bottom of the first versus top of the second is not a big difference.

It all depends on who you are targeting. They were targeting Wolfe and Osweiler and got both.

They liked DT Dontari Poe who was gone by #14 and David DeCastro who was taken by the Steelers one pick ahead of them (#25). After that there was no point in staying in the first round, although apparently someone (Xanders?) wanted to draft RB Doug Martin at #31. That would have been a mistake IMO and they could only have done it IF they weren't going to take Osweiler. They wound up with Hillman in the 3rd round and that was the perfect place to get a RB. Unless the guy is a special talent like Matt Forte, or Adrian Peterson or Darren McFadden, you don't need to draft him in the first round. The Moreno blunder should be proof enough!

Personally, I'd have been happier with Don'ta Hightower #1 and Wolfe #2 than Wolfe and Osweiler, but they had the chance to draft Hightower and didn't want him. Whether that turns out to be a mistake or not remains to be seen.

As for their secondary, they brought in 4 veteran DBs in Porter, Florence, Jim Leonhard and Mike Adams. What more did you expect them to do? Florence didn't pan out, but the rest made the roster. Add a year of experience to Chris Harris, Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter and they are vastly superior this year to last year. Whether it's good enough to beat the really good teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Texans, Falcons this season remains to be seen, but you can't accuse the team of sitting on it's ass!

You can criticize the Osweiler pick if it doesn't pan out, but as for now he's a developmental QB who will take 3 or 4 years to develop behind Peyton Manning. He's only 21. If he sits for 4 years he'd only be 25 when he begins his NFL starting career -- the same age as Adam Weber right now.

Hopefully, he'll have learned a thing or two by then!

Cugel
09-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Or.....the fact they are all making the roster could be Johns ego.

Perception vs reality.

Our depth is suspect......what they see vs what I have seen on the field?

Ego.

Look. It's hard enough to replace all the STARTERS in only 2 off-seasons, but to also provide really good DEPTH too? That's too much to ask!

Want to know why the Broncos have assembled a bunch of talented starters, but their backups are shaky at best? Look no further than the utter wasteland that was the McMoron era!

Teams like the Steelers, Packers, Giants and Patriots that have continuity and consistent drafting not only have quality starters but quality backups. But that takes YEARS of good drafting, good FA acquisitions, good coaching and player development. It takes time.

Take a look at the Packers. They won the SB in 2010, with 15 players on IR. That's depth!

But, how did they achieve it?

First, they fired Mike Sherman as GM and brought in Ted Thompson, then hired Mike McCarthy as head coach in 2005. Then they drafted Aaron Rogers in the first round and started rebuilding their roster. It took them FIVE FULL YEARS to reach the SB!

That's normally how teams do it. Get a really GOOD GM and start making smart player personnel decisions. Then get an elite QB and you have a shot at a championship.

Denver is trying to short-circuit this process by acquiring Peyton Manning in Year II of the rebuilding program. That means they might not be ready to win a Championship just yet.

They have a lot of PROMISING players, but they don't have a lot of quality depth yet.

That means if any of their starters is injured, the backups aren't nearly as good. They are especially thin at LB and on the OL. They have already lost starting LDE Jason Hunter for the season and Kuper for the first month.

They need to stay healthy or they aren't sniffing the playoffs.

Jsteve01
09-04-2012, 09:00 AM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-second-helping-of-john-elways-early-draft-returns

Interesting analysis from IOF on the same issue.

Conclusion

Of the 16 players chosen since John Elway took over running Denver's football operations, only Mike Mohamed is outside the team's current and future plans. Only Blake and Osweiler aren’t expected to contribute in the 2012 season.

To get that much quality in both starters and depth players who can contribute to the team out of just two years of drafting has left me with but one thing to say:

Thank you, John Elway.