PDA

View Full Version : Summary of McDaniels' day 4 comments to press

Tned
08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Summary of McDaniels' day 4 comments to press

General

No update on Greisen. Will not talk about the Moss situation. Players held out of morning practice were coach's decision and might be back in the afternoon session.
No update on Ayers or Moreno contract situation

Jarvis Moss

“It is a personal situation. We granted Jarvis permission to take the time to do what he needed to do."
Will not discuss further, because it's a personal situation.

Royal's performance in camp

He like's Royal. He can move and is very smart -- one of the smartest receivers he has been around, and the Broncos' have several smart ones. Royal understands defenses and runs great routes -- has great hands -- learns more and more every day. Great attitude and team player.

Peyton Hills running back or fullback

They don't name their backs, and Peyton can do a lot of things. They will run much more one back than two back sets. He can't say if Peyton will be in the game more in one-back than two-back sets. Has to see how it unfolds -- he does both pretty well. He continues to improve, which isn't easy learning two different positions/spots. A credit to Hillis that he can play multiple roles.

Hillis’ running style

It's a tough, physical style that they like.

updates on Marshall's status

No update -- coaching decision.

Evaluation of defense’s adoption of new scheme

Won't say if happy or unhappy, but they are making progress. They are beginning to understand that they must play physical -- lots of drills and team work designed to emphasize physical play -- winning the line of scrimmage. Defense is accepting the challenge the offense gives it. The offense has more cohesion than defense, because of fewer new faces. But, defense is holding its own each day.

Mike Nolan’s defensive philosophy

Calls aggressive defense. Wants players to play aggressively. Players are responding to his teaching style. He pushes all position groups and can coach anywhere on the field -- secondary, linebackers, D-line, special teams. The players have responded to his pushing and challenging style.

Dumervil's transition to outside linebacker

Doing fine - playing a bit of different position, but it might be the perfect position for Elvis. That's what they are hoping for from all of the DE's making the transition to OLB, since most NFL outside linebackers were defensive ends at one point in their life. Most were defensive ends in college. Elvis is no different -- he has just been in the league longer, but that could give him an advantage in terms of making adjustments, because he understands what the offense is doing.

Nose tackles
Doing fine. A lot of guys rotating in, not just Fields. Baker, Powell and Thomas are getting some work at NT. NT is important -- he can't evacuate the middle of the defense -- can't let the linemen get to the linebackers too fast. NT must be able to take on two blockers at times. Happens much faster inside than outside -- have to be able to react quickly to whatever blocking scheme is needed. The NT's are doing a respectable job and getting better. Physically, they are fine.

Will Marcus Thomas play more defensive end or nose tackle

Playing with both. There are a few guys moving back and forth. When they play 3-4, may only take five or six defensive linemen to the game, so some players will have to be versatile and do both. Might not have a backup at every spot, so the fourth linemen may have to play nose or end if someone goes down. Need depth and versatility.

The difficulty of learning to play nose tackle and defensive end simultaneously

Action is faster inside than outside -- different mode inside, when you are used to playing outside. Not the easiest thing to do, which is why it's a challenge -- they are all going to get through it -- get plenty of reps to develop at both spots.

NightTrainLayne
08-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Great summary Tned.

Interesting remarks on the defensive line near the end there.

Tned
08-04-2009, 10:23 AM
One thing I found interesting was the "when we play 3-4", which indicates that in some games they may go in with a 4-3 scheme. I assumed it would be more about switching between 3-4 and 4-3 during the course of the game.

NightTrainLayne
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
One thing I found interesting was the "when we play 3-4", which indicates that in some games they may go in with a 4-3 scheme. I assumed it would be more about switching between 3-4 and 4-3 during the course of the game.

That's exactly what I saw too. Looks like we could have a completely different defensive look depending on the opponent.

Dortoh
08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
It is so hard to not drink the kool-aid this time of year but I'm trying.

T.K.O.
08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
That's exactly what I saw too. Looks like we could have a completely different defensive look depending on the opponent.

thats the plan...and on offense as well. should be alot of fun to watch !:salute:

T.K.O.
08-04-2009, 11:08 AM
It is so hard to not drink the kool-aid this time of year but I'm trying.

oh but its sooooooooo refreshing !
i drink it every summer.......OH YEAH !:drinking: