PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain’t so: NFL season to begin with replacement refs

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Prior to the Broncos-49ers’ preseason game Sunday, I was on the sideline talking with Mike Pereira, the former vice president of NFL officials. He was telling me there was no way an agreement between the league and striking officials would be reached prior to the regular season.

I told him I thought commissioner Roger Goodell was too smart to let such a monstrous event as the NFL regular season begin with a group of second-hand officials who have been at best been hesitant during the preseason and at worse incompetent.

The ref was right and the sports writer was wrong. I still think Goodell is smart; just not with this issue.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/08/29/season-replacement-refs/15177/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2012, 05:15 PM
With opening night of the 2012 NFL season one week away, the league office alerted all 32 teams Wednesday that the season will begin with replacement officials in place, according to a memo obtained by NFL.com and NFL Network.

Negotiations between the league and the NFL Referees' Association remain "deadlocked," according to the memo sent by NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson.

In an exclusive interview scheduled to air Wednesday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," Anderson said the NFL is committed to the replacement officials only on "a week-to-week-basis."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000056100/article/nfl-tells-teams-to-expect-replacement-refs-in-week-1?module=HP11_headline_stack

topscribe
08-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Oh good . . . we get to see the 21st century version of the Keystone Kops . . .

Timmy!
08-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Dear NFL,

Pay the refs you greedy money grubbing bastages!

Sincerely,
Every NFL fan, ever.

ShaneFalco
08-29-2012, 05:41 PM
i just dont get it, its not like the refs are asking for millions of dollars.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
from article:

"One of our key goals in this negotiation is to enhance our ability to recruit, train, and replace officials who are not performing adequately," Anderson said. "We believe that officials should be evaluated and performance issues addressed in the same way as players, coaches, club management and league staff. We have proposed several steps to accomplish this, including having a number of full-time officials and expanding the overall number of officials."

The NFL is offering to add three full officiating crews, increasing the total number of officials to 140. The NFLRA insists the compensation being offered with such an increase would reduce their pay.

The league is proposing having seven officials -- one per position of referee, umpire, line judge, side judge, back judge, field judge and head linesman -- who would train, scout, handle communications, safety issues and rules interpretations year-round. Now, all NFL game officials are part-time employees, with outside jobs ranging from lawyer to teacher to business owner.

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8314433/nfl-use-replacement-officials-start-regular-season

Maybe some on here knew this, which I did not, but the teams are the ones who pay for the referees.

Joel
08-29-2012, 06:01 PM
from article:

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8314433/nfl-use-replacement-officials-start-regular-season

Maybe some on here knew this, which I did not, but the teams are the ones who pay for the referees.
Then no wonder they can't ensure the pay they want; that's like Rover paying the dogcatchers salary.

sneakers
08-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Guess what? I don't care!

Broncos Mtnman
08-29-2012, 06:33 PM
It's probably best that the NFL do what it can to get the regular refs back, but if the regular refs think their claims of poor officiating by the replacements is a good reason to end the lockout, they need a new attack.

The "real" refs have been notorious for several years now about poor play calling. Anyonw remember the Jay Cutler "incomplete pass" (ie fumble) against SD? What about the pathetic play calling in the Seattle - Pittsburgh Super Bowl. That game was so poorly called that it made national news.

Just a couple of examples, but proof that claims of the regular refs being better at their job is bogus. This is also why the NFL has a point about full-time officials. If these boneheads actually had to spend time between games being evaluated (and repremanded when necessary) instead of working their other jobs, maybe they could actually become the great officials they claim to be.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2012, 07:16 PM
It's probably best that the NFL do what it can to get the regular refs back, but if the regular refs think their claims of poor officiating by the replacements is a good reason to end the lockout, they need a new attack.

The "real" refs have been notorious for several years now about poor play calling. Anyonw remember the Jay Cutler "incomplete pass" (ie fumble) against SD? What about the pathetic play calling in the Seattle - Pittsburgh Super Bowl. That game was so poorly called that it made national news.

Just a couple of examples, but proof that claims of the regular refs being better at their job is bogus. This is also why the NFL has a point about full-time officials. [B]If these boneheads actually had to spend time between games being evaluated (and repremanded when necessary) instead of working their other jobs, maybe they could actually become the great officials they claim to be.

I do not know how the NFL does it, but I do know that in college, the officials are evaluated, game by game. If that is done in college, I would think it is also being done in the NFL.

Also - full-time officials - what exactly would the officials do during the off season? Also, I am sure many of the existing officials have had their full time jobs for many years, so let's say that there is an official who is two years from retirement, who needs to work two more years for full retirement. There are NOT many who would want to give that up, regardless of where they work. So, for full time referees, what would they do - replace the existing referees, who all have full time jobs with 25 year olds, who are not established in a job?

Nomad
08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Fans will complain the same whether it's replacement refs or the regular refs.

NightTerror218
08-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Fans will complain the same whether it's replacement refs or the regular refs.

bull-shit call ref

spikerman
08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
I do not know how the NFL does it, but I do know that in college, the officials are evaluated, game by game. If that is done in college, I would think it is also being done in the NFL.

Also - full-time officials - what exactly would the officials do during the off season? Also, I am sure many of the existing officials have had their full time jobs for many years, so let's say that there is an official who is two years from retirement, who needs to work two more years for full retirement. There are NOT many who would want to give that up, regardless of where they work. So, for full time referees, what would they do - replace the existing referees, who all have full time jobs with 25 year olds, who are not established in a job?
NFL officials are graded week to week, not just on calls they made, but on calls they didn't make, but should have. It's very difficult. Also, all of the NFL officials are on 1 year contracts so it really is a performance based business. I tell people all the time that officiating is MUCH more difficult than it looks. If anyone doesn't believe me, and I'm sure that many of you don't, please join your local officiating organization - I'm sure they can use the help.

Canmore
08-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Oh good . . . we get to see the 21st century version of the Keystone Kops . . .

Larry, Curly and Moe!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2012, 08:33 PM
NFL officials are graded week to week, not just on calls they made, but on calls they didn't make, but should have. It's very difficult. Also, all of the NFL officials are on 1 year contracts so it really is a performance based business. I tell people all the time that officiating is MUCH more difficult than it looks. If anyone doesn't believe me, and I'm sure that many of you don't, please join your local officiating organization - I'm sure they can use the help.

I totally agree with everything you say. I have learned a lot about what the officials have to do from my son, and what they go thru, and you are exactly right - they get marked down for making a wrong call, and they get marked down for not making a call they should have.

spikerman
08-29-2012, 08:40 PM
I totally agree with everything you say. I have learned a lot about what the officials have to do from my son, and what they go thru, and you are exactly right - they get marked down for making a wrong call, and they get marked down for not making a call they should have.

I'm nowhere near your son's level, but we've been in classes and training since the spring. I can only imagine what his "offseason" is like. I'm very impressed that he's reached the level he has.

Dzone
08-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Screw it. Go with replacement refs. All Refs make bad calls, especially holding. If the scab refs blow a few holding calls, who cares? If they call fewer penalties, it will improve the game. After a couple weeks, nobody will know the difference.

spikerman
08-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Screw it. Go with replacement refs. All Refs make bad calls, especially holding. If the scab refs blow a few holding calls, who cares? If they call fewer penalties, it will improve the game. After a couple weeks, nobody will know the difference.

Holding is the most misunderstood penalty in football, imo.

Dzone
08-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes, holding is confusing , no doubt
The NFL rulebook is 288 pages.
The show must go on. The ratings for NFL broadcasts will continue to be huge

spikerman
08-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Yes, holding is confusing , no doubt
The NFL rulebook is 288 pages.
The show must go on. The ratings for NFL broadcasts will continue to be huge

It's not really confusing. It's missed a lot (I'm as guilty as anybody), but not every grab is a hold. There are certain requirements that need to be met before it's called. I think that's why people get upset when it's not called. It's not that it's always missed, sometimes it just doesn't meet those requirements.

FlyByU
08-29-2012, 10:41 PM
I have only seen the one Game this year Broncos vs. 49ers. What I seen was a several mistakes however they seem to be pro D and the D is getting by with more then they normally would with NFL refs. So as a lover of D I really don't mind them LOL...

I seen pass interference several times should have been called. I like the way they allow the D to play D for a change. Again just going by what I seen in the above game. How bad have they been really?

BroncoJoe
08-30-2012, 08:42 AM

I read somewhere the officials get $8,000 per game. That's $128,000 per season, assuming they work 16 games. They are basically paid as full time employees - at least more than the average fan does. What they do in with their non-football time is their choice.

BroncoJoe
08-30-2012, 08:44 AM
P.S. I've never watched a game where a call or two (or more) was missed or blown. Makes zero difference to me who is officiating.

Ravage!!!
08-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Horse-shit we won't notice the difference. I don't think you have an idea just how good the NFL refs are.

Ravage!!!
08-30-2012, 08:54 AM
I think the idea of making them "full time refs" is pretty ridiculous as well. Why? Whats the point? Basketball and baseball have "full time refs/umpires".... is anyone here going to try and tell me those are better than football refs are? nooo way. Football is by far the best.

Canmore
08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Horse-shit we won't notice the difference. I don't think you have an idea just how good the NFL refs are.

I think the replacement refs have been below average. I do not want to start the season with Larry, Curly and Moe, but that is what we are doing game one.

Ravage!!!
08-30-2012, 09:13 AM
I think the replacement refs have been below average. I do not want to start the season with Larry, Curly and Moe, but that is what we are doing game one.

I know. I hate that going into football season we have refs that haven't even refed BIG college games before. There are some that think they won't notice a difference.... which astounds me. But I guess if we want football, we'll have to accept the worst reffing in our favorite sport. Sucks.

Canmore
08-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I know. I hate that going into football season we have refs that haven't even refed BIG college games before. There are some that think they won't notice a difference.... which astounds me. But I guess if we want football, we'll have to accept the worst reffing in our favorite sport. Sucks.

I'm expecting the worse and hoping for the best. We all know how hoping usually goes.

EastCoastBronco
08-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I look at it this way...
They can't be any worse than Hochuli, Triplette, or Leavey.
Those guys are horrible.

Dzone
08-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Horseshit, please tell us how good are the NFL refs? .

Ravage!!!
08-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I look at it this way...
Those guys are horrible.

No they aren't. Even the best players in the game make bone headed reads/decisions. No different with refs. Hochuli is one of the very best, and he's damn good. So are Triplette and Leavey

Chef Zambini
08-30-2012, 02:19 PM
pay the regular refs NOW, then start development program tha will bring in full time REFS within the next 3 years !
THE NFL is agains the rock because quality refs already have gigs in college and other leagues! suckit up HIS YEAR, and get he ball rolling for quality refs in the future! JC on a bicycle, I would kill for a job that pays me to wach foorball 22 weeks a year with travel and accomodations !
I look good in stripes too ! just ask my old warden and parole officer !

hotcarl
08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
im confused about the thread tag system, they all seem to have to do with joel and hitler

Thnikkaman
08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
im confused about the thread tag system, they all seem to have to do with joel and hitler

They should be about Zam and Bullfights.

Chef Zambini
08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
triplett is a moron ! but regular refs are superior to the current clowns who dont know the rules and freeze when they turn on their microphones !
cant spot the ball, asses the wreong yardage on penalties
call touchbacks that dont exist, cant communicate with one another, embarrassingly LAME !
hey will take the very best of the bunch to ref the opener on wednesday, then use tha as a negotiating tool before they bring back the reasl dudes for sunday !

Chef Zambini
08-30-2012, 02:28 PM
I used to go to school with a guy named Joel Hitler.
everyone gave him shyte about his name.
he finally changed it,
to Steve hitler.

ShaneFalco
08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
i heard today they plan on adding another official on the sideline to manage the replacements.....

If its that bad why dont you just pay the regular refs?

Simple Jaded
08-31-2012, 12:38 AM
I used to go to school with a guy named Joel Hitler.
everyone gave him shyte about his name.
he finally changed it,
to Steve hitler.Is he a Tebow groupie too?.......

Denver Native (Carol)
08-31-2012, 01:38 PM
The NFL and its locked-out officials will meet Friday in an attempt to resolve their stalled labor negotiations, two sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

It marks the first time in a month that the league will meet with the NFL Referees Association. The NFL refused to confirm the meeting and declined comment.

The NFL announced this past Wednesday that replacement officials will be on the field for league's regular-season opener between the New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8321840/nfl-resuming-negotiations-officials-sources

Chef Zambini
08-31-2012, 01:47 PM
on a related note, did you see where some clown in INDIA opened a clothing store and called it HITLERS and doted the "I" in hitler with a swastika. he now claims he has no idea who adolph hitler was, and got the name from his grandfathers buisness partner whose nickname was "hitler' because he was so strict.

( BTW, they sell bronco gear in the store, so yes, this belongs in the broncos forum)

NightTerror218
08-31-2012, 05:01 PM
ugh....they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *breath* oooooooooooooooooooooooo bad

sneakers
09-24-2012, 04:23 AM
dem tags brought me to this thread

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2012, 08:16 PM
from article:

The most prominent issue remains the pension. The league has wanted the officials to move from a defined benefit retirement plan (pension) to a defined contribution plan (401k). The NFLRA offered the compromise of having new officials on a 401k plan with the old officials grandfathered in under the old rules, but the league hasn't accepted that, and the parties remain apart on that issue.

There's also an economic divide, which includes the refs' desired salary, although there's some argument over how significant it is, and disagreement over the employment of full-time officials and backup crews. Multiple sources believe these issues are workable, if an agreement could be reached on the retirement plan.

Now the NFLRA wants more league owner involvement in these negotiations, according to a referee source. The NFL has not been asked yet to involve owners in talks, multiple sources with direct knowledge of the league's position said.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000065847/article/nfl-referees-at-standstill-in-negotiations-as-obstacles-remain?module=HP11_headline_stack

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Even prior to Monday night's drama, frustration surrounding the shaky performance of the NFL's replacement officials had reached a fever pitch. Three games in, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees has seen more than enough to draw a conclusion.

"There's definitely a lack of confidence in what's going to get called and what's not going to get called," Brees told ESPN Radio before "Monday Night Football." "... You know, they're just not prepared to be in this situation. The game is so fast, and the level that all of them were at and now are at -- it just doesn't even compare. You know, I think it's getting to a point where it's pretty horrendous and it's an embarrassment to the league and the way it's being conducted."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066127/article/drew-brees-replacement-refs-are-an-embarrassment?module=HP11_headline_stack

Nomad
09-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Drew Brees.....the voice of the union.

EastCoastBronco
09-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I look at it this way...
Those guys are horrible.

I am fully retracting this statement.
God help us all...

pnbronco
09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
I just heard on the news that $ 300 million in bets changes hands because of the last call on the Packers/Seahawks game.....:shocked:

Chef Zambini
09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
from article:

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000065847/article/nfl-referees-at-standstill-in-negotiations-as-obstacles-remain?module=HP11_headline_stackwhen kraft and mora and rooney get involved, this will be resolved!
look for it this week ! the grandfathered pension and a move to full time 401k replacements has always been the answer.
NFL were IDIOTS to think this season of replacements would turn out any different !
at least the NFL media isnt under a gag order like the NBA !
i cant stand the NBA thanks to STERN and his goon squad !

Ravage!!!
09-27-2012, 10:13 AM

P.S. I've never watched a game where a call or two (or more) was missed or blown. Makes zero difference to me who is officiating.

I look at it this way...
Those guys are horrible.

Uhmmm...... guys?

BroncoJoe
09-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Uhmmm...... guys?

What.

Chef Zambini
09-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I think my favorite is a ref throwing his hat into the endzone, taking out a dallas player on a pass play while the play is happening!
the replacements should have been replaced the next day !
BTW, the same MORON who botched the OT coin toss and ruled vnny T a TD when the ball clearly never got close to the endzone, that same CLOWN car occupant was the moron who watched the replay of the hail mary in seatle and ruled it a TD !
phil legget poop in the cranium, that guy !

Superchop 7
09-27-2012, 02:23 PM
The first call back should be.....Interference....#81 Seattle....3 days ago.

(RT)

Ravage!!!
09-27-2012, 03:05 PM
What.

Nothing nothing. I think its pretty much a hypothetical question at this point.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-27-2012, 03:12 PM
If the role of the NFL replay referees are the same as in college, their role is to provide the head referee with all available views of the play in question. It is not their role to either concur with, or overturn the call.

From the following, it appears it is the same in the NFL, which is referring to the onfield officials:

Officials have a 60 seconds to view video and determine if the call made on the field was correct. There must have indisputable evidence to overturn a call. If the reveiw determines that it is too difficult to tell what the correct call would be, the original call stands.

When unusual and confusing events occur during a play, officials can assemble and discuss the options available and if necessary remind each other of uncommon rules.

Read more: NFL Replay Referee Rules | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5294729_nfl-replay-referee-rules.html#ixzz27hdZuigu