PDA

View Full Version : u29 8/3 pm mini camp report.

underrated29
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
So my first TC. I got off work and headed up there as fast as i could. Got their at like 615 or 630 and i had no place to stand or sit. So this is all small and nowhere near what the OM guys got, but atleast its something.

I tried to concentrate on the qbs, rbs,wr, phonz,jmfw, crowder, and returners.

QBs- Didnt get to see them much. But i did see some good 11 on 11. Orton definitley is the starter. Simms is ok, but looks imo to be forcing things to much. Not really the passes just hasnt settled in.

Orton had some nice throws and nice reads. He had a few rainbow passes to the back of the endzone. I think he completed on or two. There was one right infront of me where the timing was perfect. The WR cut in towards the middle and Klye went to his second read and floated the ball to what looked like nowhere. Then the WR came out of his cut and just missed the ball. Had it been someone taller like marshall an easy 6 pts. I didnt see the WR he just missed it.

Orton does have nice touch on the ball. No bullets like Jay though. There was one play where he threw across his body and across the field. I thought pick 6 as soon as i saw it, but some Scheff made the grab. In real life against a #1 or #2 CB that would have been picked. Simms had an almost identical play and his was deflected and almost picked too.

Other than that the Qbs did well, had some nice converts on tds in the redzone and if not got the ball within 2 yards of the goaline. (clean up duty for hillis).

RB- I think we all know i like Jordan, and dont like Buckhalter. UNfortunately for me the opposite is true. Bucky is a lot slimmer than i thought, but he outplayed everyone. (there was only lamont, hillis, buck and walker <- i think). Anyways bucky was in the starting formation most of the time. He ran hard and cut quick. All the reports said he had speed to the outside, but today he was up the guy a lot. did pretty well. Jordan had one or two run plays i saw. He looked really slow. I have a bad feeling he wont make the cut. He certainly has the power and he bulldozed into the endzone. But he wasnt not impressive-sadly. Then he got hurt or the wind knocked out of him and that was it.

Bucky had one play where the DL guy ate up the play and buck made a spin cut in the backfield and then turned it into positive yardage. In real game that would have been huge. Very nice move. He also had a few catches in the flat and one sidline tip toe for about 7 yards. Not too impressive there though. the D was quick.

Hillis was in a lot of plays, but i didnt get to see him run much from my view. I did see mario hagen drop him once though. Hillis was lined up all over the place. he is a major weapon in our O.

JMFW- did good, not great he is still leading phonz in the depth chart it looks like. I dont konw how though. Not that jmfw sucks, but phonz looks real good.more on him in a sec. Jack is nimble, jack is quick, but jack will get smashed by the big guys quick. A TE- or someone broke through and would have plowed him 4 ft under had it been live. I like him, but he is a liability in support.

Phonz- reports are true about his kid. He is legit! Stalky, fast and smart. One play in particular i focused only on him. He was guarding a WR/TE right at the goalline and baited the QB into throwing the ball. Sure enough almost got the pick, instead he broke it up. He will get the pick with more experience. Other plays he was in good coverage and did well. Once or twice he got beat. But for a rookie, i am impressed. And its hard to impress me when i am evaluating talent.

Royal- is a pimp, looked good- What can i say he caught most things, made some good routes in the redzone and did a nice job returning kicks. Another place where Phonz looked really good, returning kicks. Royal is a super stud.

Crowder- He caught me eye a bunch of times. Blitzed the QB for a lights out sack. Of course they let the play keep going but simms i think would have been destroyed. Crowder also did well working solo against the line to get the the pretend QB. He is definitely going to be in the mix for us.

The rest of the DL- i was unimpressed, a few good plays here and there by peterson and fields, but people are right our DL sucks. Kuper and someone-i think rulan davis got into a little pissing match- nothing major though.

The rookie WRs and young guys- I did like Chad jackson he imo is worth hanging on to. not great but could be polished into something nice. Nate swift is ok. Someone really likes him, but i was just whatever with him. He did stay late though to practice returning kicks. I like that extra effort.

There is one guy Cj jones. Like the name, but he is toast. As if we didnt already know that. I did not like how he ran, or cought the ball. I especially did not like his feet on fielding punts from the jugs machine. He stayed after to work on things, and thats where i saw him, but his footwork on fielding the punts was poor. He did this little stutter step thing- its not going to work.

David burton was out there too, he is bigger than i thought.

Oh- they had Barrett at LB a fair amount. At first i was like who the hell is this guy. But he did alrght. He is big enough and fast enough to play there- might be a nice wrinkle for the defense to get big and fast on the field at the same time, while still keeping smart Safties back.

The Defense i noticed did little Bump or press coverage. Woodyard did one one play but then got beat. He almost recovered to make the diving tackle but whiffed. However WW didnt look to hampered with the knee brace thing.

Thats all for me. Tomorrow i will try to go and get a better spot.

Tned
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Awesome, thanks for the report. I have read that several times about Orton, inability to throw against the body. As long as he recognizes the limitation and doesn't try, it will be ok. It narrows the field, but a lot of QB's, don't have the arm for the across the body throw, but it is the most dangerous one to get picked if a guy that can''t do it, tries.

More and more, it sounds llike my Arkansas boy Hillis is going to be a major player in this offense.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Thats all for me. Tomorrow i will try to go and get a better spot.

Tomorrow, one practice only - 2:30 - 4:30

Lonestar
08-03-2009, 10:46 PM
as far as throwing across the body how many times have we heard during games it is a stupid thing to do..

perhaps it is something he can work on.. and maybe after he has the O down pat he will get some instruction from Josh, he did a fair job with Brady 4 years and Cassell the same with great work on him last year..

underrated29
08-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Tomorrow, one practice only - 2:30 - 4:30

Oh thanks--that would suck i show up and its not there.!!!

as far as throwing across the body how many times have we heard during games it is a stupid thing to do..

perhaps it is something he can work on.. and maybe after he has the O down pat he will get some instruction from Josh, he did a fair job with Brady 4 years and Cassell the same with great work on him last year..

The guy was open but seriously by the time the ball got there the d guy was all over it. Seriously, only someone like Jay can really get away with that. You need to have a Laser arm. He only did it once though, so i am sure its not going to happen a lot.

topscribe
08-03-2009, 11:12 PM

It takes a cannon to throw back across the body. Elway and Favre did it for
years, and Cutler amazed me with that ability. But I haven't seen the likes of
P. Manning or Brady doing that kind of thing. That field is half as wide as it is
long, and there are some real distances to some of the throws. A five-yard
out could be a 25 to 30 yard throw in the air. As you implied, for most QBs, it is
simply not advisable to try it.

-----

topscribe
08-03-2009, 11:19 PM
BTW, thanks U29 for the report.

Regarding the D-line, keep in mind they are working against probably the best
O-line in the league. That O-line will likely make a lot of D-lines look bad.

-----

underrated29
08-04-2009, 12:04 AM
BTW, thanks U29 for the report.

Regarding the D-line, keep in mind they are working against probably the best
O-line in the league. That O-line will likely make a lot of D-lines look bad.

-----

I took that into account, but they did a lot of 1 on 1. D vs O and really they werent impressing. Normally our guys on the OL get beat fairly often because singularly they are not so good, but together they are an impossible wall.

Well, there were several players that got by. Some easily, some bullrushed, but overall, i am a tough critic as i put my love the broncos aside. And i was just not impressed.

I still think that our Run D will be pretty good, because i have our DL can chew up blockers and let our LB dominate-which so far looks like they can.

Dirk
08-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share with us your thoughts on how the practice went!! Being in Missouri I can't just drive over after work to watch them. ;)

Oh...I know what you meant...but this made me laugh this morning....that's gotta hurt! :eek:

but today he was up the guy a lot.

pnbronco
08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Carol thanks for the heads up. I had not noticed that. UR great report esp if you had a bad seat. Let me know about Weds and I'll take a blanket and spread it out so you can have seat, esp if you are coming from work. I try to sit about the 20 yd line. Again great job.

TXBRONC
08-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the report Under.

I also have to let everyone know that Royal is royal pain in the ass....to defenses. :D

Lonestar
08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Carol thanks for the heads up. I had not noticed that. UR great report esp if you had a bad seat. Let me know about Weds and I'll take a blanket and spread it out so you can have seat, esp if you are coming from work. I try to sit about the 20 yd line. Again great job.

since you were there make some reports of what you have seen..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
For those of you going to the pm training camp on Thursday - it will be at 6:00 at the stadium

underrated29
08-04-2009, 01:34 PM
For those of you going to the pm training camp on Thursday - it will be at 6:00 at the stadium

How about the day/morning practice? Is that still at dove valley?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
How about the day/morning practice? Is that still at dove valley?

Info on 6:00

Free parking is available on the south end of the stadium in lots A, B and C. Fans should enter the stadium through gate 10. The gates will open at 5:30 p.m., with practice scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. When you go to information site on broncos.com, this is what it says about night, so not sure if it is 6:00 or 6:30. Probably best to plan on practice starting at 6:00.

6:30 p.m. (INVESCO Field at Mile High)

Info on morning:

Thursday, August 6
8:45 a.m.-10:30 a.m.

underrated29
08-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Info on 6:00

Info on morning:

Thursday, August 6
8:45 a.m.-10:30 a.m.

^ at dove valley right? I will try to do morning, if its there. I cant drive down to invesco though and then to work. Lets hope its at the valley.