PDA

View Full Version : Broncos could sign new backups after rosters get trimmed

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Call it a prediction, call it a hint, call it what you will. But after watching his defensive reserves struggle for the second preseason week in a row, Broncos coach John Fox said the team will be looking outside its Dove Valley complex walls for help as rosters are whittled to 53 players this week.

Asked if he was concerned about the depth of his team after losing the second preseason game the Broncos had been leading when the starters left, Fox said: "It all concerns me. That's kind of what I do. At the end of the day, I think we made a little bit of improvement, not a lot, but last week we gave up 21 (points). I don't remember what it was this time. We've got work to do and when we pick the 53 (players), you can do that a lot of different ways."

The Broncos' defensive depth on game day has been impacted by D.J. Williams' near future, which includes a six-game suspension to open the season — and it could get longer after a recent conviction for driving while ability impaired. Linebacker Keith Brooking also has sat out with a hamstring injury.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21406891/broncos-could-sign-new-backups-after-rosters-get

Fullback32
08-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I think it's not just the defensive reserves he should be concerned about. I wasn't horribly impressed with the offensive line reserves in particular.

camdisco24
08-27-2012, 10:24 AM
We're going to need some more depth. I think it was pretty obvious the past two weeks. I feel very confident in our starters, but beyond that we still have some major question marks. Especially on D.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Report - Pats apparently cut Gerard Warren - do the Broncos look at him? Yes - No

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055260/article/donte-stallworth-gerard-warren-to-be-cut-report-says?module=HP11_headline_stack

OrangeHoof
08-27-2012, 11:15 AM
It appears the Saints are loaded to overflowing at RB. That would be a good place to find a backup. I'm still not sold on NoShow or Hillman if McGahee goes down.

Northman
08-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Moreno did what i thought he would in the passing game. But his actual running is downright pathetic, just keep him for 3rd down plays and allow him to make a play that way.

Traveler
08-27-2012, 01:37 PM
DT Remi Ayodele was release by the Saints.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/38249/saints-show-confidence-in-rookie-dt-hicks

Ziggy
08-27-2012, 09:15 PM
I think the Broncos are set at interior Dline. Warren, Wolfe, Vickerson, Bannan, Jackson, and Unrein.

If they did replace one, I'd look at Bannan being the first man out due to age and injuries.

chazoe60
08-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I think it's not just the defensive reserves he should be concerned about. I wasn't horribly impressed with the offensive line reserves in particular.

I'll like our OLine reserves better when Kuper comes back and Ramirez will be our first OL off the bench. Although, the way Ramirez has been playing I don't know if he isn't better than Beadles. I wonder if Manny can play Center?

Ziggy
08-27-2012, 09:18 PM

The only quality backup we have on the offensive line is Manny Ramirez, who has played far better than both JD Walton and Zane Beadles in the preseason. I'd love to see Kuper get back soon and Ramirez replace one of the 2 weak links in that line.

Ziggy
08-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I'll like our OLine reserves better when Kuper comes back and Ramirez will be our first OL off the bench. Although, the way Ramirez has been playing I don't know if he isn't better than Beadles. I wonder if Manny can play Center?

Manny played almost exclusively at center last year in the preseason, and has played there some in camp this year as well.

chazoe60
08-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Manny played almost exclusively at center last year in the preseason, and has played there some in camp this year as well.

Cool. I have been really impressed with him this preseason. He would definitely be an upgrade to Walton in terms of pure blocking, not sure about all the other duties a center must perform.

Simple Jaded
08-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I think Ramirez was Walton's primary backup last year til Kuper got hurt. I'm not so sure he's not better either.......

HORSEPOWER 56
08-27-2012, 09:57 PM
I hate to say it, but I think we need another bruising RB. We have McGahee, but behind him, we really don't have any bruisers. Ball has decent size, but he isn't the best inside runner, Moreno at 200 lbs, JJ at 200 lbs, and Hillman at 195 don't give me a ton of confidence if they are called upon in 3rd and short. I know the staff seems to love Ball, but I don't have a lot of confidence in him. For every good play he makes, he makes an equal number of bad plays.

If the 49ers cut Anthony Dixon, I hope we give him some consideration.

dogfish
08-27-2012, 10:30 PM
jabar gaffney might be worth a look. . .

Simple Jaded
08-28-2012, 12:00 AM
I hate to say it, but I think we need another bruising RB. We have McGahee, but behind him, we really don't have any bruisers. Ball has decent size, but he isn't the best inside runner, Moreno at 200 lbs, JJ at 200 lbs, and Hillman at 195 don't give me a ton of confidence if they are called upon in 3rd and short. I know the staff seems to love Ball, but I don't have a lot of confidence in him. For every good play he makes, he makes an equal number of bad plays.

If the 49ers cut Anthony Dixon, I hope we give him some consideration.I was thinking that same thing as I watched the game. Gore, Jacobs, Hunter, James and FB Miller, unless SF keeps 6 RB's I think Dixon gets cut. All depends on how many they keep and Jacobs' health.

Either way the Broncos need to find a RB to PS, they don't have a single RB with PS eligibility.......

HORSEPOWER 56
08-28-2012, 06:23 AM
I was thinking that same thing as I watched the game. Gore, Jacobs, Hunter, James and FB Miller, unless SF keeps 6 RB's I think Dixon gets cut. All depends on how many they keep and Jacobs' health.

Either way the Broncos need to find a RB to PS, they don't have a single RB with PS eligibility.......

They also have Rock Cartwright who plays STs that has a better chance to stay than Dixon.

Chef Zambini
08-28-2012, 11:58 AM
It appears the Saints are loaded to overflowing at RB. That would be a good place to find a backup. I'm still not sold on NoShow or Hillman if McGahee goes down.sa,me with the 49ers, they may end up cutting a quality back !
any one of which would be superior to Km and more experinced and healthy than hillman.

OrangeHoof
08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
The Niners have a problem because they had two RBs carted off the field last week against Houston (Brandon Jacobs and Kendall Hunter). I don't know if either will miss time in the regular season because of it but the Niners probably are holding onto their other backs as long as they can. I noticed the Saints did not cut a RB this week either.

Ravage!!!
08-28-2012, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Jacobs is cut from the Niners. He's not very good, and Hunter is a much better back-up to Gore than Jacobs is.

Cugel
08-28-2012, 01:37 PM

If the 49ers cut Anthony Dixon, I hope we give him some consideration.

YOu're forgetting Gronkowski the FB. He's a bruiser and a good blocker. In fact they felt so good about him that he's the only FB on the team now and guaranteed a roster spot.

They are more likely to pick up a veteran LB if one hits the waiver wire they like or another S or CB.

Neither Rahim Moore nor Drayton Florence looked at all good last game and Quinton Carter has been hurt.

Meanwhile we don't know what we have in Brooking, or even if they are going to keep him since he didn't play in the pre-season. Even if they do keep him, they might want to keep 6 LBs in which case, they could sign another veteran and try and put Danny Trevathan on the practice squad.

I don't know if he'd clear waivers, but despite having some nice moments in the pre-season, he was only a 6th round pick, which means he was not all that highly regarded by other teams, so he could clear waivers.

Then if Trevathan is on the P.S. they can evaluate Brooking and the veteran. If Brooking can't do an adequate job, they waive him and activate Trevathan or go with 5 LBs until DJ comes back sometime after game 6.

Cugel
08-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Another possibility might be to place Chris Kuper on the PUP list to start the season. That would mean he'd miss the first 6 games, but he's going to miss at least 4 and I think more than that. The Broncos staff seems to under-estimate the time required to come back from injury (they apparently had a serious argument about whether to keep DE Jason Hunter potentially active in case he could come back in December from his torn triceps -- even though anybody with sense could tell you that that is a season ending injury, just as it was for Gerard Warren last year).

I think Kuper is going to miss 6 games anyway or else try and come back too soon and have a lingering injury all season that will limit his effectiveness. Better to put him on the PUP list for 6 games and either keep an extra player at OL or else pick up a veteran off the waiver wire.

I think they did that with Casey Weigman a few years ago and that turned out amazingly well, until McMoron blew it by getting rid of him in what was a typical McMoron brain fart.

Jsteve01
08-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Man that guy was so good at being bad

underrated29
08-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Another possibility might be to place Chris Kuper on the PUP list to start the season. That would mean he'd miss the first 6 games, but he's going to miss at least 4 and I think more than that. The Broncos staff seems to under-estimate the time required to come back from injury (they apparently had a serious argument about whether to keep DE Jason Hunter potentially active in case he could come back in December from his torn triceps -- even though anybody with sense could tell you that that is a season ending injury, just as it was for Gerard Warren last year).

I think Kuper is going to miss 6 games anyway or else try and come back too soon and have a lingering injury all season that will limit his effectiveness. Better to put him on the PUP list for 6 games and either keep an extra player at OL or else pick up a veteran off the waiver wire.

I think they did that with Casey Weigman a few years ago and that turned out amazingly well, until McMoron blew it by getting rid of him in what was a typical McMoron brain fart.

He broke his wrist. The ulna. No ligaments or muscles messed up, just the bone. He will not, can not, have a lingering issue with it. Its not possible. I broke my finger and a few weeks later was back playing hockey....A few months later, I broke the finger next to the other broken one. I played after 1 week off, with NO Lingering effects. Sure, he gets big men putting pressure on his wrist/arm.....But in hockey I do the same with gripping the stick and taking slashs on the hand from people.

He will be back, maybe even sooner, and have no ill effects. Its a bone, and it heals stronger than before. There will be no lingering effects unless the bone just straight up does not heal. But that doesnt happen unless you have a disease, which he clearly does not.

Cugel
08-28-2012, 04:05 PM
He broke his wrist. The ulna. No ligaments or muscles messed up, just the bone. He will not, can not, have a lingering issue with it. Its not possible. I broke my finger and a few weeks later was back playing hockey....A few months later, I broke the finger next to the other broken one. I played after 1 week off, with NO Lingering effects. Sure, he gets big men putting pressure on his wrist/arm.....But in hockey I do the same with gripping the stick and taking slashs on the hand from people.

He will be back, maybe even sooner, and have no ill effects. Its a bone, and it heals stronger than before. There will be no lingering effects unless the bone just straight up does not heal. But that doesnt happen unless you have a disease, which he clearly does not.

The ulna is a LOT more serious than a finger. If he broke a finger they probably would have held him out of 1 pre-season game, maybe 2, but he would NOT miss a single regular season game. If he broke a finger during a playoff game they would tape it up and protect it and send him back into the game! (Unless he has a compound fracture with the finger bone protruding through the skin they expect guys to play with the pain).

Breaking your Ulna means you cannot extend your forearm. It weakens his strength. It absolutely CAN be a lingering injury and your experience in breaking your finger is about as relevant as a girl talking about how she played soccer while having really bad menstrual cramps! :coffee:

And the medical report was that Kuper is expected to miss "at least" 4 weeks of the regular season, in addition to the last 2 pre-season games, and possibly more time than that. This is a serious injury.

Ziggy
08-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Cooley was released today. He would be a huge upgrade as the 3rd TE. He can also swing to FB if needed.

underrated29
08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
The ulna is a LOT more serious than a finger. If he broke a finger they probably would have held him out of 1 pre-season game, maybe 2, but he would NOT miss a single regular season game. If he broke a finger during a playoff game they would tape it up and protect it and send him back into the game! (Unless he has a compound fracture with the finger bone protruding through the skin they expect guys to play with the pain).

Breaking your Ulna means you cannot extend your forearm. It weakens his strength. It absolutely CAN be a lingering injury and your experience in breaking your finger is about as relevant as a girl talking about how she played soccer while having really bad menstrual cramps! :coffee:

And the medical report was that Kuper is expected to miss "at least" 4 weeks of the regular season, in addition to the last 2 pre-season games, and possibly more time than that. This is a serious injury.

Then we will have to bet on it. This is running on the same flawed principle you used as your ST argument against knowshon and for JJ and omon.

I bet he will be back by week 4 with No lingering issues from his ulna. You claim otherwise. Sig bet? What say you?

HORSEPOWER 56
08-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Kuper isn't eligible for PUP because he returned to practice, then broke his arm. PUP can only be used for players who didn't practice in TC and are still recovering from previous injuries (like Suggs in Baltimore). Kuper will eat a 53 man roster spot until he either plays or is IR'd.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Cooley was released today. He would be a huge upgrade as the 3rd TE. He can also swing to FB if needed.

Cooley was released because Shanahan told him he was backing up Davis, but Cooley wanted to be the starter. Shanahan released him so he could have an opportunity to start somewhere (heard it on Sirius). He wouldn't start here, not with who we have, and so he wouldn't sign with us.

sneakers
08-28-2012, 05:09 PM
God, it must suck to make the 53 man roster, only to find out a day later that you are released for another guy

Dzone
08-28-2012, 07:38 PM
He can sign with us and get a world championship ring

Jsteve01
08-28-2012, 08:00 PM
God, it must suck to make the 53 man roster, only to find out a day later that you are released for another guy

Chad Mustard endorses this post. As does Tony Carter

rationalfan
08-28-2012, 09:43 PM

i'm not sure what you mean. the forearm doesn't extend because of the ulna, it extends because of the elbow joint. the ulna connects the forearm to the elbow and the wrist. your theory could be correct if the ulna was ripped out of the elbow joint. kuper doesn't sound like he has that injury.

besides, when i broke my radius (works in tandem with the ulna) the cast didn't extend to the elbow, which meant it didn't inhibit the elbow's ability to extend the forearm. and any lingering pain/effects from the injury came/come from either the ligaments and joint damage to the wrist or the metal screws and plate in my arm (which I didn't elect to remove).

also, every report i've read about kuper had his timetable listed in terms of weeks, not games. the reports suggested 6 weeks which, from the time of the injury, equaled three regular season games. EDIT: never mind this; i misread your post.

nothing against you, man, just got annoyed by some inaccuracies.