PDA

View Full Version : game thoughts San Fran

Superchop 7
08-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Depth is a major concern, I see 3 guys that are number 3 QBs and no legit number 2.

Rahim Moore seems to rarely put himself into position to make a play.

Knowshon is playing with a vengeance....nice to see that from him.

Beautiful grab by Stokley on......of course.....3rd down.....glad he is a Bronco.

Hopefully we can find aw gems on the waive.r wire.....our 2nd teams need help

MOtorboat
08-27-2012, 08:54 AM
My buddy wanted to drink high life yesterday.

Blech.

CoachChaz
08-27-2012, 09:03 AM
If any significant starters go down...we'll have another lofty draft pick. We suck after the 1's come off the field

NightTrainLayne
08-27-2012, 09:28 AM
One step at a time. Compared to where we've been, I think worrying about our lack of depth is a good problem to have in a sense. We've been in spots where our team seemed to be made up of good depth guys with few starters.

CoachChaz
08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
One step at a time. Compared to where we've been, I think worrying about our lack of depth is a good problem to have in a sense. We've been in spots where our team seemed to be made up of good depth guys with few starters.

I'm not going to glorify the starters either. Outside of Manning, Doom, Miller and Champ...who else do we have that walks into any other contending team and takes a starting spot?

Nomad
08-27-2012, 09:36 AM
I hope Manning stays healthy.

MOtorboat
08-27-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm not going to glorify the starters either. Outside of Manning, Doom, Miller and Champ...who else do we have that walks into any other contending team and takes a starting spot?

Depending on the team, Thomas, McGahee, Clady, Warren, Porter, Carter. Players we'll get back that would start, Kuper and Williams.

Decker, Moreno, Franklin, Wolfe, Harris and Adams would fight for roles. And Bruton is one of the better ST players in the league.

Team isn't that void of talent.

weazel
08-27-2012, 09:48 AM
wow our 2nd stringers are stinky.

Fullback32
08-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Completely agree. It was good to see him play the way he did. I just hope he keeps it up over the course of the season.

TXBRONC
08-27-2012, 10:08 AM
If any one player goes down we'll with a high draft pick? Other than quarterback that doesn't square with reality.

Fullback32
08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
I didn't care for some of the dropped balls I saw yet again. Dreissen HAS to catch that ball. Dropped passes for TDs just can't happen. Hopefully that'll stop as the season progresses.

On a side note: as much as the real NFL refs get on my nerves, they are still light years ahead of these replacements. Seriously, how do they miss that obvious hold on Stokely?

camdisco24
08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Depending on the team, Thomas, McGahee, Clady, Warren, Porter, Carter. Players we'll get back that would start, Kuper and Williams.

Decker, Moreno, Franklin, Wolfe, Harris and Adams would fight for roles. And Bruton is one of the better ST players in the league.

Agreed. Lot's of our guys could/would be starters for most of the other 31 teams. I even think Decker would be a lock to start on most teams. (Based on what I've seen from him so far this preseason, Manning effect?)

Ravage!!!
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM

DT, Decker easily. Green Bay would LOVE McGahee. Clady without a doubt on many contending teams.

jhildebrand
08-27-2012, 11:18 AM
My observations after casually watching the first half:

What good are Dumervil and Miller if the refs wont call holding? :confused: They could call it every play with those guys especially Dum. I saw two or three blatant holds go uncalled. That said, those two made their presence known on the first series. I like that a lot.

Offensive line looked pretty good first series and the running game wasn't there. 2nd series line looked complacent and the running game was getting going. Knowshon looks good to me which creates an interesting problem. Which backs does this team keep? I like the big play ability and speed JJ has. McGahee, Kno, and JJ would be the three I want them to keep. Problem is the staff LOVES Lance ball.

Rahim Moore still making silly mistakes. Had he done his job and not peeked into the backfield, it could be a pass defensed. I still think the kid will be good.

Nice balance on playcalling save for the redzone maybe. Decker is the obvious target for the QB's down there and was targeted with abundance. They have to find a way to get the ball to DT there, too.

Overall, I am not worried about the tough schedule so long as our 1's stay relatively healthy.

CoachChaz
08-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I see we all have the homer glasses on today. DT and Decker? Really? In NE, Pitt, Hou, NO, Phi, NYG, Det, GB. Sorry...dont think so.

Fullback32
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
With the exception of the one really bad interception, I thought Haine played pretty well with the first team. Not that I hope to see him on the field during the season mind you.

Northman
08-27-2012, 11:34 AM
The problem with Hanie is he is just too inconsistent. He's serviceable but so is Oz and Webber. I just dont think Hanie stands out of enough or can be relied on enough if we lose Manning. Not that Oz and Webber are ready either but i dont know, i really hope that Manning doesnt get hurt this year.

MOtorboat
08-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't even know who is starting opposite Johnson in Houston. Robert Meachem or Thomas? Thomas or Lloyd? Who's starting opposite of Johnson in Detroit? Baltimore?

weazel
08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
not a big deal but how did the ref's let that lateral go on the return? He was laying on the ground when he threw the ball LOL

Mike
08-27-2012, 12:05 PM
The problem with Hanie is he is just too inconsistent. He's serviceable but so is Oz and Webber. I just dont think Hanie stands out of enough or can be relied on enough if we lose Manning. Not that Oz and Webber are ready either but i dont know, i really hope that Manning doesnt get hurt this year.

The problem is that with the 2nd team o-line you can't really tell what Webber and Oz look like. To me, Hanie looks head and shoulders above Oz. I would like to see Webber and Hanie go head-to-head Thursday with the same players. I think Hanie makes the cut. Sucks for Webber.

Northman
08-27-2012, 12:09 PM
The problem is that with the 2nd team o-line you can't really tell what Webber and Oz look like. To me, Hanie looks head and shoulders above Oz. I would like to see Webber and Hanie go head-to-head Thursday with the same players. I think Hanie makes the cut. Sucks for Webber.

Well, at this stage of the game Hanie should be better than Oz at least one would think so considering the amount of games that Hanie has played/started. But, even with the constant drops against SF with Oz i saw the very things that i like about him. Twice his ass was hit and they didnt bring him down and that is what i saw in him that i like about Big Ben. Now its just a matter of getting him to read defenses and going through progressions but i think he will get it. Webber has grown on me and i would easily take Oz and Webber over Hanie at this juncture. To me, after Manning we wont be doing much as it is so might as well keep the younger guys and get them more experience. IMO

DenBronx
08-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Depth is a major concern, I see 3 guys that are number 3 QBs and no legit number 2.

Rahim Moore seems to rarely put himself into position to make a play.

Beautiful grab by Stokley on......of course.....3rd down.....glad he is a Bronco.

Hopefully we can find aw gems on the waive.r wire.....our 2nd teams need help

Yeah but what are you thoughts from the San Fran game?

DenBronx
08-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Mo, I think Bruton has been outstanding on special teams. He is our Keith Burns of today I think. He actually did ok even playing safety but even if his role is just special teams then it's still very valuable to the team. He's a guy that gets over looked alot but it's good that someone else acknowledged that.

Overall, I think for the first time in years we have a very well rounded team. Just wish we would have kept Royal somehow for a #3 WR and kick/punt returns. Our return game seems to be struggling again.

broncofaninfla
08-27-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm guessing Hanie was brought in to be the "veteran back up QB" but given the comparable play of Brock and Weber it's hard to justify him being a better option at QB should Manning get hurt. Weber has more upside IMO.

with that said I was happy with the starters play and feel this years team will be better than last years team which after Mcd blew this team up is all we can ask for at this point. We are vastly improved ove the teams Mcd fielded.

Mr. Gnome
08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
So, I didn't get to see the first half. When I got home and turned the game on it was 24-10 for Denver, then it seemed to fall apart. I saw a stat somewhere towards the middle of the second half that said offense for SanFran had 210 yds in the second half to Denver's 31? Reading the reports and the posts from several different sites, sounds like we may have a good first team unit, but we have some room to grow in the back up roles. I can't wait for the real season to begin. I've been a Bronco fan for a long time and eagerly look forward to a solid season!

slim
08-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Holy Cow.

Hi Mr. Gnome.

G_Money
08-27-2012, 01:42 PM
- First team guys should be able to get it done for us. San Fran had 80-something yards of offense in the first half and our offense moved at will. It looked like we were taking the game a lil more seriously than SF at the start, but even so we weren't getting fancy. McGahee was pounding it inside against a good running defense, we had RBs catching out of the backfield and some good showings from the receiving corps.

- Still a little worried about the OL - the 1s aren't always crushing it and the 2s are flat BAD. Walton and Beadles are still having to double-team, which is how the stunting DT got free to put his helmet in Manning's grill. Maybe we can hang on for this season, and Kuper getting back will help, but if we lose any more starters on the offensive line, we're gonna be in trouble. Max Protect schemes don't mesh well with a Peyton-Manning no huddle. Already making notes for the 2012 offseason to ADD STARTING OFFENSIVE LINEMEN. Of course, I had that note for this year too...

- The DL is actually looking pretty good so far. I still think Vickerson ate several small whales over the offseason, but he's doing the job Del Rio is asking him to do. Our pass rush should be pretty fierce - we're getting some pressure without half-trying right now, and Wolfe is really fitting in. Ayers had better start holding the edge, though, or he can get some walking papers. I have no idea what he was thinking on some of those 2nd half run plays.

- TE coverage is gonna be a problem. Moore is a buck-eighty and still forgets his coverage responsibilities. Miller is not good in pass coverage, Mays can't spell pass coverage, and Woodyard is...okay. No worse than Bruton, though that's not a compliment, and Q isn't available. I'm not looking forward to the NE game - we'd better outscore em.

- STAY HEALTHY. We might be deeper than last year, but last year we were razor-thin, so I'm not comfortable yet by any means with the backups. Playing SF's starters this well was nice to see. I'm still thinking 10-6 for us, and we're gonna need McGahee and some other key contributors to stay healthy, but it should be a good year. Hopefully the absence of Tuten will continue to pay dividends throughout the year.

~G

BroncoJoe
08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
On an individual basis, the backups will be OK. Put them all in at once (which would never happen) then we would have a problem.

MasterShake
08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Can't really comment on anything after the 3rd quarter because my interest waned, but heres what I saw:

-DLine was getting a good push on that vaunted SF Oline

-Von Miller had one of the best run stuffs on Gore I've ever seen from him. Defender tried to cut him and he just slapped his ass to the ground made Gore stretch his run wide and wrapped him up for a loss. IF he can keep that up he's gonna be even more of a beast.

-Manning was throwing to the right just fine, and was hitting recievers with ease. The timing with him and Decker is impeccable and D Thomas had a beautiful grab early on where he used his body as a shield in tight coverage.

-First team looked much better stopping the run, but safety play on that long pass after the onside kick was awful and the linebacker position is still a concern. I expcet the waiver wire to be plucked in these areas in the coming weeks.

-OVERALL: Nice to see us dominate one of the better defenses in the league with ease, and also nice to see Manning bounce up after a big hit. We are lacking some depth so staying healthy is a big concern this season (as with any team, no news there but I think we are thinner than most). Overall I am more pumped than usual for this season, this team has a chance to be really special. If we can stay above .500 in the first half of the season I can see making a strong push when it counts.

TXBRONC
08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
-

- The DL is actually looking pretty good so far. I still think Vickerson ate several small whales over the offseason, but he's doing the job Del Rio is asking him to do. Our pass rush should be pretty fierce - we're getting some pressure without half-trying right now, and Wolfe is really fitting in. Ayers had better start holding the edge, though, or he can get some walking papers. I have no idea what he was thinking on some of those 2nd half run plays.
~G

That would make sense because a beluga whale population was put on the endangered species list just the other day.

Day1BroncoFan
08-27-2012, 05:43 PM
I only saw part of the second half. My conclusion is our backups are bad when they play together. I hope we don't need to use to many of them.
I think we're in trouble if Manning goes down.

Jsteve01
08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Still don't understand all the ridiculous hate for Hanie. He is what he his: an athletic backup. He looked far better playing with the ones yesterday. I honestly don't think we can do much evaluation of any of our qbs when playing behind our second team line. They are that bad. Hell, we've got at least 3 guys starting on our interior line that should be depth players. That tells you just how bad we are up the middle.

chazoe60
08-27-2012, 08:33 PM

Clady. Why do people always forget about him.

MOtorboat
08-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Clady. Why do people always forget about him.

I always wonder why people think Williams is so worthless, myself...

chazoe60
08-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I always wonder why people think Williams is so worthless, myself...

DJ Williams?

He's a good LB, just a knucklehead.

NightTerror218
08-29-2012, 04:37 PM
I think Elway/Fox are really going to watch Waiver Wire for OL, LB and S. Those were the areas really lacking IMO and depth issues. I also think we have a really young team lots of players with 3 years or less experience (as of right now 44 players including IR).