PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning's pursuit of perfection influences his new teammates

Tned
08-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Maybe I've missed this, but I haven't seen this posted. A friend told me to take a look, and it's a great article on the impact Manning has had on the team since he was signed. It's worth the read. This might have been the one MO mentioned that originally was only in ESPN the magazine, but it's online now.

What's great about the article is that it not only talks about the work ethic, but also the way he is working with the different players on THEIR technique to make them better at their position. Like one quote from McGahee where he said that Manning told them once they have their route down, then they can break it off if they need to, but ONLY to the outside, unless he tells them otherwise. Or him coaching Thomas on paying attention to his corner, but not to worry about the safeties, because that's Manning's job.

It's really worth the read.

Help me help you
Peyton Manning's pursuit of perfection influences his new teammates

By Ryan McGee | ESPN The Magazine

...As the Wilson-branded pigskin nosed above its would-be thieves, it suddenly went zing, as if equipped with a nitro boost. The ball accelerated through the hands of Adams, over the shoulder of Bailey and thwacked into Decker's gloves as he disappeared downfield. The only person more stunned than the defenders was the receiver himself.

"It's like he started looking at the playbook from an airplane," says receiver Greg Orton.
"We're walking back to the sideline, and I look at Decker and he's just smiling," says Adams. "I look at Champ, and he's smiling too. I said, You ever seen anything like that? He said, 'Nope. We've got some catching up to do.'"

Welcome to the new world of the Denver Broncos. It's a place where veterans and rookies alike are becoming indoctrinated into the Manning Way. Where the urban legends of PlayStation passes and all-night film study are suddenly transforming into reality. Where an entire organization is being pushed out of its option-running, wobbly-pass-catching, plays-drawn-in-the-dirt ways and thrown into the up-at-dawn play-action, check-down, adjust-your-footwork deep end...

Read full article here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8287028/peyton-manning-pursuit-perfection-influences-denver-broncos-espn-magazine

MOtorboat
08-27-2012, 07:32 AM
This was my favorite part.

There was this moment of Manning enlightenment, for example, on a day in late July: "Demaryius, look at me," the quarterback said to Demaryius Thomas, his 6'3", 229-pound deep threat. Manning walked out from behind center J.D. Walton and out to the wing alongside Thomas, then took the stance of a receiver, mimicking his instructions. "You don't worry about the safeties showing us anything; I've got them," Manning said. "You worry about that corner right there in front of you."

With a look to the sideline, where a nosy reporter was scribbling, Manning leaned in and quietly discussed the details of a specific physical tip-off, a "show," that the corner might let slip. With a jog back toward Walton's hindquarters, Manning left Thomas with this: "Just like we talked about in the meeting room!" Then, on the snap, the Broncos breezed through a slightly modified version of a Colts "three verticals" play, with tight end Jacob Tamme splitting the safeties from the slot while Thomas stretched his corner down the right sideline. On the other side, Decker took his man down the left while running back Willis McGahee played accomplice on a trademark Manning play-action fake. The sequence was executed to perfection.

"As soon as you get your primary route down," explains McGahee, "he comes to you and says, 'Okay, now you can break that off if you need to but only to the outside unless I tell you otherwise.' Then when you get that part down, he talks to you about footwork off the line. You get that down and it's picking up one tiny little thing he's doing with his signals at the line. I've been doing this for 10 years and he's been doing it for 15, and we're still learning. I love that."

TXBRONC
08-27-2012, 08:13 AM
This is why he will arguably go down as the best quarterback of his generation and one of the best to ever play.

Bugs Baloney
08-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Love the boost to the all around team confidence when #18 is on the field.

and the ease at which we drive the down the field.

NightTrainLayne
08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
My favorite part:

Porter spent the past four years in New Orleans, facing a different future Hall of Famer, Drew Brees, in practice every day. He also picked off Manning in Super Bowl XLIV, the play that iced the Saints' title. When practice started this spring, Porter quickly picked off Manning again. A few plays later, Manning burned Porter deep.

As he walked off the field, the defensive back felt a hand on his shoulder. It was the quarterback, who said: "You tell me what I did wrong on that first play and I'll tell you what you did wrong on that next play. That's the only way we're going to get better. Deal?"

Months later, Porter still shakes his head while telling the story. "Dang right, that was a deal," he says. "He wants me to be better so he can be better. And he wants to be better to help me get better. I'll follow a man like that into any game, anywhere, any way."

Not just any way. The Manning Way.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8287028/peyton-manning-pursuit-perfection-influences-denver-broncos-espn-magazine

Thanks for posting this Tned!

Northman
08-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Dude is all class.

pnbronco
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Tned thank you so much for posting this. I put it into a word document to refer to in the future. What Peyton does can only help me with my own business in paying attention to the little things I do have control over.

I loved this part:

The result was a notebook with margins drenched in ink, a practice Wayne has continued every season since. When ESPN reporter Josina Anderson, assigned to follow Broncos camp, asked the Colts receiver for some insight into how his chemistry with Manning was achieved, he shipped her one of his old notebooks. Few of the notes are about big philosophies and bigger routes. Instead, they are list after list of details: head movement, footwork, eye direction and layers of verbal cues from the quarterback, both dummy and real.

It has been just a joy to have someone that wants what we all want and more and is willing to do everything in his power to get there. IMO Peyton just has not made the team better, but our community with his work ethics and just doing what's right with out needing that flash that can go with it.

DenBronx
08-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah very good article.

"Hey Demaryius, LOOK AT ME BITCH!"

Davii
08-27-2012, 01:07 PM
My favorite part:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8287028/peyton-manning-pursuit-perfection-influences-denver-broncos-espn-magazine

I'm with you NTL, the bit about Porter was my favorite part. I expect him to elevate everyone's work ethic and execution. What is inspiring is that a guy that's been doing this as long as he has and is already considered one if the greatest ever, is striving for more every day.

After all, the best way to inspire your teammates is with your actions. Don't aspire to be great, force it upon yourself.

rjent
08-27-2012, 02:40 PM
What an outstanding read and insight into Manning's methods. Must read for every Bronco fan!

Nice find! :2thumbs:

NightTerror218
08-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I really liked the Porter section and the last line about following him anywhere. manning earns respect and that is awesome. I hope Oz can be a portion of the QB Manning is.

MOtorboat
09-10-2012, 06:28 PM
My favorite part:

This needs to be bumped today.

Porter spent the past four years in New Orleans, facing a different future Hall of Famer, Drew Brees, in practice every day. He also picked off Manning in Super Bowl XLIV, the play that iced the Saints' title. When practice started this spring, Porter quickly picked off Manning again. A few plays later, Manning burned Porter deep.

As he walked off the field, the defensive back felt a hand on his shoulder. It was the quarterback, who said: "You tell me what I did wrong on that first play and I'll tell you what you did wrong on that next play. That's the only way we're going to get better. Deal?"

Months later, Porter still shakes his head while telling the story. "Dang right, that was a deal," he says. "He wants me to be better so he can be better. And he wants to be better to help me get better. I'll follow a man like that into any game, anywhere, any way."

Not just any way. The Manning Way.

tnt2126
09-11-2012, 09:27 PM
One game at a time

Poet
09-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Best quarterback ever. Manning created his system. No other QB ever did that.

Simple Jaded
09-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Paraphrasing somebody paraphrasing Dungy about Manning;

Manning "you shoulda zigged instead of zagged on that play".

Marcus Pollard "I think I ran the right route"

Manning "Look, when we're on the field, if I tell you it's Easter you better be looking for Easter eggs".......

Nomad
09-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Manning corn maze......pretty cool!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/peyton-manning-shaped-cor_n_1877133.html

Apollo
09-14-2012, 02:18 PM
A good leader can really motivate everyone around him. Peyton is a true professional and having him on the team is magnificent. The younger guys can really learn from his outlook.