PDA

View Full Version : Broncos to make 13 roster cuts Monday

Denver Native (Carol)
08-26-2012, 12:58 PM
The Broncos will have to trim their roster from 90 players to 75 by 2 p.m. MDT Monday. That means today’s preseason game against the San Francisco 49ers will be the last time 13 guys will wear the orange-jersey uniform.

And with many starters expected to play one series into the second half, many of those 13 will probably spend their final day helplessly watching from the sidelines.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/08/26/broncos-15-roster-cuts-monday/15058/

HORSEPOWER 56
08-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I've been thinking about who we should cut so far and one name that sticks out is Drayton Florence. He hasn't even played well with the backups, getting torched by backup WRs every week. He just hasn't been impressive and I'd hate to waste a roster spot on a guy who isn't even our 4th best CB and doesn't even play STs.

Some guys who have the possibility of being cut but I hope we keep are:

Malik Jackson, David Bruton, Jeremiah Johnson, Jeremy Beal and Jim Leonhard (even though he hasn't played yet). I think Julius Thomas might be on the bubble because he's injured and can't play.

We've got some terrible backups on the O-line so I expect a lot of cuts there. I expect Florence, Ingram, Omon, Sylvester, and 2 or 3 of the backup WRs buried on the depth chart to get cut.

Rick
08-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Noticed a couple drops by Caldwell today. With as much young depth as is on this team not sure about him.

Cugel
08-26-2012, 08:40 PM
They will probably cut players who have no shot first. DT Ben Garland comes to mind. LB Elliot Coffey. DE Cyril Obliozor.

However, I'm probably wrong and they cut players who didn't even get into the game.

Some guys certainly didn't help themselves. Rahim Moore made a huge blunder that led to a TD and Drayton Florence did the same. Neither is likely to be cut though. Moore might take a back seat to Quinton Carter if that player becomes more and more healthy and available.

Nate Irving didn't play badly. I noticed him in among some tackles. DE Malik Jackson made some nice plays as did Jeremy Beal. But Vickerson and Unrein didn't.

Unrein came free on that blitz and had the QB dead to rights -- and got juked out of his shorts and muffed it. Robert Ayers isn't reclaiming his starting LDE spot, that much seems sure.

The OL played reasonably well, especially the first unit. I think they keep 9 OL but can't decide if Phillip Blake is one of them. Probably he goes on the practice squad.

Cornelius Ingram, Virgil Green, and Anthony Miller are all battling for maybe 1 TE spot.

The babbling idiots on TV made it almost impossible for me to keep track of who was in on plays and who was at fault for big plays made by the 49ers. I had to pay no attention to their infuriating irrelevant babble and sit there with a roster sheet and squint at the TV to try and catch players #s to see if I could see who was even in the game on a given play.

Hell, those motherless ******** didn't even announce who made the tackle half the time. Fortunately during replays you could usually see their #s at least.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-26-2012, 09:55 PM
and the 49ers capitalized by burning Broncos linebacker Von Miller and safety Rahim Moore on a 44-yard touchdown pass from Smith to Vernon Davis

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21405729/broncos-peyton-manning-sharp-vs-49ers-preseason

rcsodak
08-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Miller STILL plays like a rookie, at times. But now he doesnt have a thumb to use as an excuse.

Simple Jaded
08-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Miller and Moore won't be the last player Vernon Davis abuses. Ya'll can have Gronk, Davis is the best TE in the business.......

Rick
08-26-2012, 11:02 PM
As good as Miller is, he is still a LB/DE trying to cover one of the best TEs in football. In that particular play Moore should have been providing help and I feel he was out of position.

I don't really blame Miller as much on this one.

Traveler
08-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Will there be a surprising trade or cut tomorrow?

Ziggy
08-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Will there be a surprising trade or cut tomorrow?

Sid Quan or Julius Thomas maybe?

Northman
08-27-2012, 05:06 AM
As good as Miller is, he is still a LB/DE trying to cover one of the best TEs in football. In that particular play Moore should have been providing help and I feel he was out of position.

I don't really blame Miller as much on this one.

That was all on Moore. No one expects a LB to cover a TE 40 yds downfield. lol

sneakers
08-27-2012, 07:19 AM
please be hinie

Cugel
08-27-2012, 09:29 AM
I've been thinking about who we should cut so far and one name that sticks out is Drayton Florence. He hasn't even played well with the backups, getting torched by backup WRs every week. He just hasn't been impressive and I'd hate to waste a roster spot on a guy who isn't even our 4th best CB and doesn't even play STs.

Malik Jackson, David Bruton, Jeremiah Johnson, Jeremy Beal and Jim Leonhard (even though he hasn't played yet). I think Julius Thomas might be on the bubble because he's injured and can't play.

We've got some terrible backups on the O-line so I expect a lot of cuts there. I expect Florence, Ingram, Omon, Sylvester, and 2 or 3 of the backup WRs buried on the depth chart to get cut.

Jeremy Beal will almost certainly make the 53 man roster if only due to the injury to Jason Hunter. He's now the #2 LDE and will have to play lots when they move Wolfe to RDT in passing situations, which they supposedly will do.

Ayers was on the bubble, but losing Hunter also helps him make the roster as Dumervil's backup.

Jeremiah Johnson is a guy I've liked all pre-season, but he has no P.S. eligibility and was always a long-shot to make the team due to the drafting of Ronnie Hillman. Now looks like he's toast.

They have to keep 3 QBs this year instead of 2 and possibly 11 DBs, which means 3 RBs since they have to cut somewhere.

I'm not a big fan of Lance Ball, but he's probably secured the #3 spot with his play yesterday. He also plays on special teams which Moreno doesn't. Moreno is toast but will probably survive the first round of cuts -- there's always a chance of injury to a RB during the final pre-season game.

Malik Jackson is interesting. Once again, the season-ending injury to Hunter means he probably makes the team. He played reasonably well yesterday and will get another chance next week. He still could be cut if the team finds some veteran DE who hits the waiver wire.

Depth Chart:
LDE: Wolfe, Beal
LDT: Warren, Vickerson, Malik Jackson
RDT: Justin Bannan, Mitch Unrein
RDE: Dumervil, Ayers

Since they are likely to keep 9 DL, those are your probable nine. Malik Jackson is 270 and can easily play LDE if anything happens to Wolfe or Beal.

Cyril Obliazor, Jamie Blatnick, and Ben Garland are probably among the first 13 cuts. At least they should be.

In fact, the Broncos will likely be looking at the waiver wire to see if they can find somebody better than Kevin Vickerson at DT.

Normally, you'd say that Julius Thomas, Cornelius Ingram and Anthony Miller are fighting for one roster spot (assuming they keep 4 TEs which seems likely due to the importance of TE in Manning's passing attack). But, with Virgil Green's suspension, they don't have to make a decision at TE on opening day.

That probably means Julius Thomas gets a stay of execution for 4 weeks and makes the team -- temporarily.

Jim Leonhard is an interesting question. Obviously they have to take him totally on faith since he can't perform in the pre-season due to being on the PUP list. I think their S's are so weak they will take the chance and welcome it.

Rahim Moore had a total breakdown yesterday that led to the TD, but he played reasonably well -- for a backup. I doubt they feel all that comfortable with him starting. It would be nice if Leonhard could take his starting spot. Leonhard is undersized (5'8" 188 lbs.), but all he does is make plays in coverage. He's a guy who plays a lot bigger than his size.

He probably makes the team.

Cugel
08-27-2012, 09:39 AM
More interesting decisions:

What to do about Adam Weber. By playing him yesterday and probably in the 4th game they make it unlikely he will slip through waivers. He might refuse to sign with another team of course in preference to staying in Denver, but that would make little sense.

With Elway's commitment to Osweiler long term, Weber's only chance to play in Denver would be if Peyton Manning went down for a few weeks (any longer and the season is shot and they turn to Osweiler to get him experience), and Caleb Haney was hurt too, but Osweiler wasn't considered ready. Long shot at best.

Realistically, he'd be wasting a year if he remains in Denver. Better for him to get a shot elsewhere to stick on as a backup.

Jason Hill: He's played well at WR, but won't make the team unless they keep 6 WRs and that seems unlikely.

Bubba Caldwell didn't play all that well yesterday, dropping a couple of passes, but he still makes the roster in all likelihood, which means that Greg Orton, Tyler Grisham,Cameron Kenney, Mark Dell
and Gerell Robinson have no shot.

Dzone
08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Keith Brooking prob needs to be cut. Bubba Caldwell shouldnt be dropping sure catches. He will prob get another week.
Greg Orton will prob get cut. JUlius Thomas possibly.

weazel
08-27-2012, 09:42 AM

LMAO the second I read the title of this thread I thought of Florence. Wow has that guy fallen

Dzone
08-27-2012, 09:44 AM
anthony perkins, webbles, Obozor, coffey, Duke Ihanacho, Kenney, Robinson, Oman, J Thomas...its going to be easy to get down to 75

weazel
08-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Jeremiah Johnson has looked good when used, it's too bad but he's gonna get cut. Oh and Webber is better than Hanie

Cugel
08-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Miller STILL plays like a rookie, at times. But now he doesnt have a thumb to use as an excuse.

Trying to cover Vernon Davis one-on-one with a LB is not going to work about 90% of the time. Miller is fast -- for a LB, but he's not going to be able to cover a great TE on a deep pass-play. (I remember Shannon Sharpe making a lot of LBs look stiff on similar plays).

That was Rahim Moore's fault for getting caught looking in the backfield and not covering the TE down the field.

Cugel
08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Jeremiah Johnson has looked good when used, it's too bad but he's gonna get cut. Oh and Webber is better than Hanie

I agree, but Fox doesn't. Weber still has a chance of staying on the practice squad if nobody claims him off waivers, but that's unlikely and will get a lot MORE unlikely if he plays significant minutes in the 4th game. The more playing time he gets the better he looks.

Weber just doesn't have a future in Denver. As long as Peyton Manning is in town Fox wants a veteran backup not a developmental QB. Meanwhile Osweiler will be the backup next year unless he doesn't improve. He's Elway's favorite and will have to prove he's no good over and over again before he will be cut or traded. They will give him 3 years.

If he still sucks next year they will probably go with 3 QBs again and sign a veteran backup like Haney or somebody else.

So, even if Weber makes the practice squad and still looks better than Osweiler next off-season he STILL has no future in Denver.

chazoe60
08-27-2012, 10:04 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ravage!!!
08-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Miller and Moore won't be the last player Vernon Davis abuses. Ya'll can have Gronk, Davis is the best TE in the business.......

Graham is the best TE in the business

Mike
08-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Malik Jackson is interesting. Once again, the season-ending injury to Hunter means he probably makes the team. He played reasonably well yesterday and will get another chance next week. He still could be cut if the team finds some veteran DE who hits the waiver wire.

That probably means Julius Thomas gets a stay of execution for 4 weeks and makes the team -- temporarily.

I don't see any way the Broncos let Jackson go. He has shown a lot of upside and wouldn't clear waivers.

J. Thomas is a bust, I think he gets cut.

underrated29
08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Cugel, Knowshon is making the roster despite what you think. He is not getting cut.

Traveler
08-27-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't see any way the Broncos let Jackson go. He has shown a lot of upside and wouldn't clear waivers.

Think they both make it. Can't say that for sure about Moreno though.

slim
08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Moreno is a better player than Lance Ball.

Northman
08-27-2012, 11:21 AM

I like Jeremiah bullfrog too.

Nomad
08-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Trim the fat, EFD!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Lindsay Jones ‏@PostBroncos

Reminder: #Broncos have no players eligible for reserve-PUP list. Jason Hunter is an IR candidate.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

Lastly, in case you're wondering, Knowshon Moreno is a lock to make this team.

Northman
08-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Vic must of been reading this forum. lol

Mike
08-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Think they both make it. Can't say that for sure about Moreno though.

I don't see the interest in Thomas. He hasn't shown anything to waste a roster spot on.

underrated29
08-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Boom.

LTC Pain
08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't see the interest in Thomas. He hasn't shown anything to waste a roster spot on.

I will chime in here about Thomas. Wasn't he a basketball player who only player 1 or 2 season of college football? The story line was the FO liked his athleticism and potential and traded up to draft him. I don't think any of us have seen his "A game" yet because he is a bit of a developmental project who's had a rash of injuries. I say Thomas makes the 53 man roster. Maybe temporarily like someone else said. Irregardless, I think it is too soon to dump Thomas or call him a bust. From the reports I've seen from camp Thomas did okay when he was on the field. Not sure how long his contracts is but if through this season (I think) then I'd say give him that time to show us something. If he's not healthy and improved by this time next season then I may have another opinion :) GO BRONCOS!!!

Ziggy
08-27-2012, 01:35 PM
There's no way Malik Jackson gets cut. That kid has been the best backup Dlineman all through preseason. He can also play every position on the line. He'll be starting by next season.

If any Dlinemen get cut this round, it's going to be one or more of: Blatnick, Siliga, Obiozor, and Garland.

Traveler
08-27-2012, 01:38 PM
There's no way Malik Jackson gets cut. That kid has been the best backup Dlineman all through preseason. He can also play every position on the line. He'll be starting by next season.

If any Dlinemen get cut this round, it's going to be one or more of: Blatnick, Siliga, Obiozor, and Garland.

Siliga might get a 3 day reprieve.

G_Money
08-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I would expect to cut Garland now and then stash him on the PS. Obiozor should be gone today without the stashing. If Malik doesn't make the final 53 I'll be shocked. Shocked, I say.

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2012, 02:13 PM
from article:

Among the non-injured players who didn't play in the Broncos' third preseason game Sunday were receivers Mark Dell and Cameron Kenney, longsnapper Aaron Brewer, linebacker Elliot Coffey, and offensive linemen Mike Remmers, Austin Wuebbels and Wayne Tribue.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21410579/broncos-place-jason-hunter-injured-reserve-cuts-loom

Canmore
08-28-2012, 02:26 AM

Florence was suppose to be an asset, but so far he has pretty much been burnt toast. That is to bad, I was hoping for a lot more. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a cut also.

Malik Jackson and David Bruton make the team. I really think Jeremiah Johnson is the odd man out in the backfield.

TXBRONC
08-28-2012, 03:59 AM
I finally read the article and Paxton's release makes sense. According to the article he had all of 5 tackles in 49 games. The guy we're keeping in college had 15 tackles in 50 games.

Canmore
08-28-2012, 04:34 AM
I finally read the article and Paxton's release makes sense. According to the article he had all of 5 tackles in 49 games. The guy we're keeping in college had 15 tackles in 50 games.

Can he snap it through a gnats *** at 8 and 15 yards. Paxton and Leach could. That is what I care about. Tackles are gravy.

TXBRONC
08-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Can he snap it through a gnats *** at 8 and 15 yards. Paxton and Leach could. That is what I care about. Tackles are gravy.

Agreed, making sure that snap is good is the first prior but tackling just as important. There are three things that go hand in hand for punt coverage. You have to have a good snap, a good punt, and then good coverage/tackling. Without all three of those things working together an opponent can flip field position on you in a hurry.

Ravage!!!
08-28-2012, 09:41 AM

I agree completely. I'm also confident that the coaches feel the same way. So if they are letting Paxton go, they are confident the new guy can snap the ball.

Northman
08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
I will chime in here about Thomas. Wasn't he a basketball player who only player 1 or 2 season of college football? The story line was the FO liked his athleticism and potential and traded up to draft him. I don't think any of us have seen his "A game" yet because he is a bit of a developmental project who's had a rash of injuries. I say Thomas makes the 53 man roster. Maybe temporarily like someone else said. Irregardless, I think it is too soon to dump Thomas or call him a bust. From the reports I've seen from camp Thomas did okay when he was on the field. Not sure how long his contracts is but if through this season (I think) then I'd say give him that time to show us something. If he's not healthy and improved by this time next season then I may have another opinion :) GO BRONCOS!!!

Yea, see i cant get on board with that. Not that i have anything against the guy and i know he was a project (as was a couple of other players) but a project to me is someone who is actually making some sort of progress and at the very least moving up the depth chart a bit. Denver went out and got guys who are relatively young TE's but are more of an impact now. Unfortuantely, i just dont see any upside to Thomas and dont see holding a roster spot for him. He was a gamble in my opinion but hasnt made any ground to try and be what we hoped he could be.

Cugel
08-28-2012, 01:48 PM

After Hunter's injury the nine DL are set in stone. Malik Jackson was always going to make it because after he looked good in several games, he couldn't be slipped past the waiver wire. Somebody would probably grab him.

Instead, the battle for the final spot was going to be between Jeremy Beal and Robert Ayers, only Hunter going on IR for the season means both make it.

LDE: Wolfe, Beal
LDT: Warren, Vickerson, Malik Jackson*
RDT: Bannan, Unrein
RDE: Dumervil, Ayers

*Jackson can play multiple positions along the line which is one reason they drafted him.

The injury to Hunter saved the job of Robert Ayers who slipped down the depth chart from starting LDE, to little regarded backup to Dumervil (who hardly comes off the field).

I think that if Hunter were healthy, they'd keep Jeremy Beal (who has impressed coaches this off-season) rather than Ayers (who hasn't).

Siliga, Blatnick and Garland are toast. I expected one or more to be cut already, but I suppose they wanted to wait and see if anybody gets hurt in the final pre-season game. They might try and put any of them on the practice squad.

Cugel
08-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post

Only if they keep 4 RBs, which is not certain they will.

If they go with 3 it will be Lance Ball, not Moreno.

TXBRONC
08-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Only if they keep 4 RBs, which is not certain they will.

If they go with 3 it will be Lance Ball, not Moreno.

We did carry four last year plus a fullback.

GEM
08-29-2012, 10:36 AM

:lol: Are we going to go after Miller like someone did Elvis? He's a pass rush specialist. I was at the game...the effed up coverage was Moore. He was well into the secondary with no one around.

GEM
08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Cugel, Knowshon is making the roster despite what you think. He is not getting cut.

And that's just sad....sorry UR...the dude sucks. I wish they would have kept Omon ahead of Knowshon.

GEM
08-29-2012, 10:41 AM

And Mike effing Leach had 5 tackles a game. Effing McDouchenozzle.:mad: Who was always in on the initial tackle during punts....Mike Leach. Tattoo rap boy got paid a huge contract and did half the work that Leach did.

Northman
08-29-2012, 11:15 AM
:lol: Are we going to go after Miller like someone did Elvis? He's a pass rush specialist. I was at the game...the effed up coverage was Moore. He was well into the secondary with no one around.

You have a problem with one trick pony midgets?

Cugel
08-29-2012, 01:31 PM

You and I basically agree. Jackson makes the team UNLESS the Broncos go out and sign a veteran DL to come in and possibly start or play significant minutes -- like Jim Leonhard will do at S.

In that case, all bets are off and they might not have room for Malik Jackson. But, they don't want to give him up at all. And he probably would NOT make it through waivers. He's looked too good.

As for J. Thomas, well, they are probably keeping 4 TEs unless they think they can go with 3 - at least to start with. When Virgil Green comes off suspension in game 5 they might cut Thomas. But, it's difficult to see them starting the season with only 3 TEs when one of them can't eve play for the first month. And who else would they keep at TE? Cornelius Ingram?

Why would they keep him? I think they'd rather go with 3 or pick up another TE off waivers.

Cugel
08-29-2012, 01:38 PM
And Mike effing Leach had 5 tackles a game. Effing McDouchenozzle.:mad: Who was always in on the initial tackle during punts....Mike Leach. Tattoo rap boy got paid a huge contract and did half the work that Leach did.

Leach is now 36 and won't last much longer. They need some new younger player at this point anyway.

True, it was a stupid move by McMoron.

But on a scale of 1 to ONE ZILLION of imbecilic McMoron blunders this one doesn't rate very high!

Not compared with the Cutler fiasco, drafting Knowshon and Ayers instead of of Orakpo, Percy Harvin or Clay Matthews, throwing away the #14 pick of the 2010 draft for a second rounder, and taking Alphonso Smith, cutting Casey Weigman, getting rid of Peyton Hillis because the guy accidentally hit on his wife and Tony Sheffler for no reason at all. Drafting Tim Tebow in the first round. Trading a 3rd round pick for washed up RB Joseph Addai. Etc. Etc. Etc. Among other atrocities.

jhildebrand
08-29-2012, 02:04 PM

Good eye Gem! Moore got caught peeking into the backfield. To make matters worse, he all but stopped when he peeked.

jhildebrand
08-29-2012, 02:05 PM
You have a problem with one trick pony midgets?

JRWIZ is that you?

:lol: