PDA

View Full Version : Ayers Signed

UnderArmour
08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Ayers deal is for five years. He needs to be good. Denver needs all the help it can get on its defensive line.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the update! :beer:

BroncoWave
08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
For the "twitter is gay" or "too cool for twitter" crowd around here, following Adam Schefter is reason enough to have one. The NFL info he gives out every day is fantastic and he usually has the news before anyone else.

Overtime
08-03-2009, 04:10 PM
im just not into the twitter thing really. i mean we already have facebook, and myspace, and linked in, and seriously who came up with the name "twitter"? and just what does twitter mean?

I think we've become too dependent on the internet for updates into everyone's business on a minute by minute update, and I just wonder how that's going to impact generation X's "social skills"?

More and more we're allowing technology to isolate us from meaningful interpersonal relationships that take place in person.

BroncoWave
08-03-2009, 04:13 PM
im just not into the twitter thing really. i mean we already have facebook, and myspace, and linked in, and seriously who came up with the name "twitter"? and just what does twitter mean?

I think we've become too dependent on the internet for updates into everyone's business on a minute by minute update, and I just wonder how that's going to impact generation X's "social skills"?

More and more we're allowing technology to isolate us from meaningful interpersonal relationships that take place in person.

My post had nothing to do with socializing. That's not even why I use it.

Like I said, it's a useful tool to follow people like Adam Schefter because he gives you all the inside NFL stuff before anyone else has it, and is usually 100% correct.

Schefter had the Ayers info half an hour ago and there is still nothing on ESPN about it.

LTC Pain
08-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Confimred by Pro Football Talk. Get in camp and get some Ayers! :welcome:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/03/broncos-agree-to-terms-with-ayers/

rationalfan
08-03-2009, 04:15 PM

says the guy who's on the internet, in a message board plastered with updates on people's personal business.

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
That's good news. Now if we can just get Moreno signed everything will right with world to a very small degree. :elefant:

silkamilkamonico
08-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Twitter is lame, IMHO.

The news is going to come out in a timely fashion regardless oh what kind of outlet is used.

SoCalImport
08-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Stoked about FINALLY getting at least one of our 1sts signed. I guess we knew it'd a be Ayers first, but I'm sure Knowshon inked then I can stop obsessing about not having Knowshon inked.

Twitter will suck until I start using it, but that's par for the course :)

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/20267803/detail.html

The Broncos signed the 18th overall pick in the draft today. Defensive End Robert Ayers of Tennessee got a 5-year deal and was expected to attend the Broncos evening practice Monday. Ayers is expected to contend for a starting spot on the defense. The 12th pick overall, running back Knowshon Moreno, is now the Broncos lone holdout.

In related news, Jarvis Moss was back at camp but did not practice in the morning. Also missing were veterans Brandon Marshall, Brian Dawkins, Correll Buckhalter, Brandon Stokley, and Wesley Woodyard. Coach Josh McDaniels said excusing these vets was a coaches decision. Marshall hurt his hip in Monday morning's practice.

Poet
08-03-2009, 04:47 PM

Like I said, it's a useful tool to follow people like Adam Schefter because he gives you all the inside NFL stuff before anyone else has it, and is usually 100% correct.

Schefter had the Ayers info half an hour ago and there is still nothing on ESPN about it.

As a journalism student I can tell you that twitter is going to play a pretty prominent role for years to come in reporting.

Rick
08-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Good he will be needed.

Personally where I use to really be into him nabbing a starting OLB spot with good reports in on Crowder and Doom i am hoping he can bulk up a bit and take a DE spot.

I think we will have a better defensive team if they can find a way to have Ayers, Crowder and Doom all starting on the front 7.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2009, 05:15 PM
VicLombardi: just got confirmation from a high-ranking Broncos official...Ayers is done...Knowshon is almost there

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 05:19 PM
VicLombardi: just got confirmation from a high-ranking Broncos official...Ayers is done...Knowshon is almost there

Good, the sooner the better. :beer:

honz
08-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Moreno = a mix between Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler. Just another whining spoiled brat.

Buff
08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Moreno = a mix between Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler. Just another whining spoiled brat.

Nah, as much as I'd like to see Moreno in camp, there is a big difference between holding out for the right contract and reneging on the contract you already signed. (Or threatening to do so and undermining your employer)

Overtime
08-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Good, the sooner the better. :beer:

why? so he can pull what he pulled in the Alabama vs. Georgia game, in big games when we really need him?

He also NO-Showed against Florida.

they don't call him Noshow Moreno for nothing.

Moreno will be McDaniels biggest draft failure, but some lessons just have to be learned the hard way.

:tsk:

honz
08-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Nah, as much as I'd like to see Moreno in camp, there is a big difference between holding out for the right contract and reneging on the contract you already signed. (Or threatening to do so and undermining your employer)
I'm just messin'. Moreno seems like a good kid and I am glad the Broncos drafted him. I just want to be able to see him in action...or at least have others tell me what he looks like in Training Camp...get him signed already!

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 05:59 PM
why? so he can pull what he pulled in the Alabama vs. Georgia game, in big games when we really need him?

Moreno will be McDaniels biggest draft failure, but some lessons just have to be learned the hard way.

Why? Because he was drafted by the Denver Broncos.

Now I know I don't follow SEC the Bulldogs all that closely but I know you're full of it. LR posted Moreno's stats from big games and those numbers were very good. If you don't like him tuff. :coffee:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9190

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos on Monday officially announced the signing of outside linebacker/defensive end Robert Ayers, whom they selected in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft.

Ayers, the 18th overall selection in April's draft, started 14 games at Tennessee before joining the pro circuit. The 6-foot-3, 274-pounder lead the Volunteers in tackles for a loss during each of his final two years with the program, totaling 27.5 tackles for negative yardage over that stretch.

As a senior in 2008, Ayers earned second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors after leading the conference with 15.5 tackles for a loss in addition to pacing the team’s defensive line with 49 tackles.

Ayers began his collegiate career at Tennessee playing outside linebacker before making the switch to defensive end as a redshirt freshman. Now, Ayers is prepared to play both roles -- and possibly others -- during his first season with the orange and blue. He will likely do plenty of moving around in defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's 3-4 scheme. According to Ayers, his role could fluctuate. He might be rushing from the nickel package at defensive end. If it's a base package, he could be at outside linebacker. At other times, he may be lined up at defensive tackle.

"This is a perfect defense for me," Ayers said. "Out of all 32 teams -- I’m not with the other teams -- but I don’t think there could be a better match for me. The way I play and the things I do well fit perfectly with this defense."

Only Knowshon Moreno remains unsigned.

EMB6903
08-03-2009, 06:23 PM
For the "twitter is gay" or "too cool for twitter" crowd around here, following Adam Schefter is reason enough to have one. The NFL info he gives out every day is fantastic and he usually has the news before anyone else.

I was a little wierded out about why everybody was so involved with twitter at first but Im sold.... Most all of NBA/NFL/MLB breaking news comes from twitter before any other source.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Gary Miller just said that Ayers has already passed his running test, and will be on the field practicing tonight.

Overtime
08-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Why? Because he was drafted by the Denver Broncos.

Now I know I don't follow SEC the Bulldogs all that closely but I know you're full of it. LR posted Moreno's stats from big games and those numbers were very good. If you don't like him tuff. :coffee:

did you watch the Georgia vs Alabama game?

only reason Moreno had any stats at all in that game is because the Crimson Tide put their 2nd and 3rd stringers in in the 2nd half, because the score was like 31-0 or 31-3 at half time.

He no-shows in big games, trust me. don't base it just off stats, unless you watched the game.

also vs Florida last year, he did the same thing. didn't get his stats until the 2nd half. when he faces a real defense, he's a joke, and he no shows.

:coffee:

Poet
08-03-2009, 06:34 PM

Someone posted his stats in big games. Peyton Manning sucked in bowl games at College...and he's arguably a top five QB right now.

Nomad
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Ask LSU if Moreno sucked in Baton Rouge last year!!! Quite heartbreaking if you ask me for Tiger fans!

http://espndb.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282990099

nevcraw
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Someone posted his stats in big games. Peyton Manning sucked in bowl games at College...and he's arguably a top five QB right now.

arguably....LOL

MadMax
08-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Cut the kid some slack, in 2007 he absolutely eviscerated us(florida) and any runningback that can make a name against SEC defenses stands a decent chance in the NFL.

As for last year the whole Bulldogs team underperformed and Coach Richt has caught a lot of flack for it. Moreno didn't do much against Alabama and Florida but they had the 1st and 4th ranked rushing defenses in College last year.

If he ends up a bust you can't blame McD, many teams wanted him and he woulded been drafted right after us by San Diego if we hadn't taken him.

Poet
08-03-2009, 06:45 PM
arguably....LOL

I meant of all-time. Excuse my horrendous typo.

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 06:58 PM

LRtagger posted Moreno's stats in different thread.

BroncoWave
08-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Good call OT. He had a couple of bad games as a senior so he will suck in the NFL.

ROTFL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Florida and Alabama both had top rush defenses and it's to be expected that his stats would be below average against those teams. And as another poster said, he torched a good LSU defense.

I would be much more worried if his bad games had come against Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Just an F.Y.I.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9190

Monday, August 3, 2009

Ayers Arrives at Dove Valley

By Zach Eisendrath
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos on Monday officially announced the signing of outside linebacker/defensive end Robert Ayers, whom they selected in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft.

Ayers, the 18th overall selection in April's draft, started 14 games at Tennessee before joining the pro circuit. The 6-foot-3, 274-pounder lead the Volunteers in tackles for a loss during each of his final two years with the program, totaling 27.5 tackles for negative yardage over that stretch.

As a senior in 2008, Ayers earned second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors after leading the conference with 15.5 tackles for a loss in addition to pacing the team’s defensive line with 49 tackles.

Ayers began his collegiate career at Tennessee playing outside linebacker before making the switch to defensive end as a redshirt freshman. Now, Ayers is prepared to play both roles -- and possibly others -- during his first season with the orange and blue. He will likely do plenty of moving around in defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's 3-4 scheme. According to Ayers, his role could fluctuate. He might be rushing from the nickel package at defensive end. If it's a base package, he could be at outside linebacker. At other times, he may be lined up at defensive tackle.

"This is a perfect defense for me," Ayers said. "Out of all 32 teams -- I’m not with the other teams -- but I don’t think there could be a better match for me. The way I play and the things I do well fit perfectly with this defense."

Only Knowshon Moreno remains unsigned.

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Good call OT. He had a couple of bad games as a senior so he will suck in the NFL.

Florida and Alabama both had top rush defenses and it's to be expected that his stats would be below average against those teams. And as another poster said, he torched a good LSU defense.

I would be much more worried if his bad games had come against Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

IIRC Moreno lit up Florida with 188 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns.

Poet
08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
LRtagger posted Moreno's stats in different thread.

My bad.

BroncoWave
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
IIRC Moreno lit up Florida with 188 yards rushing and 3 touchdowns.

That was year before last I believe.

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
My bad.

You didn't get it wrong, I was just piggy backing off of what you said.

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Yeah I looked that up. I meant to go back and edit my post but I got side tracked. Anyway, it still proves the point Moreno showed up for big games.

Tned
08-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Not sure if it's been posted, but Ayers is getting $9.7 million guarantee. Not sure of the total value.

Hobe
08-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Didyou but stock in Twitter?

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Not sure if it's been posted, but Ayers is getting $9.7 million guarantee. Not sure of the total value.

I haven't seen anything else posted so thanks for letting us know. :beer:

Fan in Exile
08-03-2009, 07:41 PM

I hope it's a good total because we don't want to end up with the rep for being soft in negotiating because that will cost too much in the long run. If it had to take them a while to get an appropriate contract I'm fine with that.

BroncoWave
08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Didyou but stock in Twitter?

No, it's just one of my pet peeves when people bash shit they've never even tried. It just gets old hearing how gay twitter is when it's something I like to use.

LRtagger
08-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Yep, his FRESHMAN year...UF was ranked #9 in the country going into that game.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2009, 08:58 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/03/ayers-gets-97-million-guarantee/

Fresh off signing a five-year contract that according to an NFL source includes a $9.7 million guarantee _ a 16 percent increase from the $8.36 million guarantee Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco received as the No. 18 pick last season _ rookie outside linebacker Robert Ayers spent his first afternoon of training camp working out on his own. He ran through the team conditioning test prior to the team’s 5:30 p.m. practice, then headed off to the weight room as practice began.

Ayers will be available to the media following the workout.

topscribe
08-03-2009, 08:59 PM
This was the more important signing. Sure, Knowshown will give the Broncos an
even better runnning game, but the Broncos direly need Ayers' services.

-----

TXBRONC
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
This was the more important signing. Sure, Knowshown will give the Broncos an
even better runnning game, but the Broncos direly need Ayers' services.

-----

This is true, but I still want see Moreno signed a.s.a.p.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
sweet

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Under video & audio http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Overtime
08-03-2009, 11:04 PM

guess we'll see.

honz
08-03-2009, 11:54 PM

Even when Utah romped Bama in the Sugar Bowl, they really couldn't run the ball at all. They really didn't even try to run until it was time to milk the clock with a good lead in the 4th Q. Too stout up front, especially with Mt. Cody in the middle. I also remember Oklahoma's OLine getting dominated by Florida's D in the BCS Championship...and Oklahoma had several NFL players on their OLine.

sneakers
08-04-2009, 01:05 AM

Twitter is still gay.

MOtorboat
08-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Twitter is still gay.

Oh...I could have a field day with this.

LRtagger
08-04-2009, 08:14 AM

He was only a sophomore. ;)

TXBRONC
08-04-2009, 09:49 AM
He was only a sophomore. ;)

Moreno redshirted as freshman didn't he?

LRtagger
08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes.