PDA

View Full Version : What is the most disappointing Broncos regular season loss you have ever experienced?

BroncoWave
10-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Of all our regular season losses you have ever seen, which one was the most disappointing? I ask this because last night's loss definitely ranks up there.

Here are the top (or bottom lol) 5 I can think of.

Loss to the Giants on Eli TD pass
Loss to the Raiders in the snow
Loss to Green Bay last night
Loss to the Dolphins back in 2001 or so when we hit a 50 yard FG in the last 2 minutes and they went right down the field and hit a 50 yarder of their own to win it.
Loss in 1998 to the Giants that ruined our perfect season.

I haven't been alive to see as many games as some of you have so what are some that stick out in your minds?

Tned
10-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Of all our regular season losses you have ever seen, which one was the most disappointing? I ask this because last night's loss definitely ranks up there.

Here are the top (or bottom lol) 5 I can think of.

Loss to the Giants on Eli TD pass
Loss to the Raiders in the snow
Loss to Green Bay last night
Loss to the Dolphins back in 2001 or so when we hit a 50 yard FG in the last 2 minutes and they went right down the field and hit a 50 yarder of their own to win it.
Loss in 1998 to the Giants that ruined our perfect season.

I haven't been alive to see as many games as some of you have so what are some that stick out in your minds?

Wasn't there an exchange of FG's (two or three) in the last couple minutes of an Indy game a few years ago during a night game?

BroncoWave
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Wasn't there an exchange of FG's (two or three) in the last couple minutes of an Indy game a few years ago during a night game?

Yes that one came to mind too. I think it was a snow game.

Lonestar
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
you retty much called them all.

Let me add there was a game back in the early years. SAN or OAK beat us 49-7.

The only reason we scored was I think it was Goldie Sellers, ran back a kick off for a touchdown. I do not remember us crossing their 50 yard line all game. I was in the south stands at the time.

Near the middle of the 3 quarter if they had driven close enough to south stands, they punted so they would be out of battery range of some of those in the lower part of the stands.

That was the low point of the Broncos for me..

Tned
10-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes that one came to mind too. I think it was a snow game.

Yep, I was thinking something like, they kick a 50 yarder with 2 minutes or so to take the lead, we kick a 50 yarder to tie it at the buzzer, and then they kick a 50 yarder in TO win it, or something like that.

Mike
10-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Don't forget the one against the Pats a few years ago.

Bilischmuck took the safety...
Deltha O'Neil couldn't field the free kick and backed the offense up...
Shanahan went into dumb playcalling mode and handed the ball back to NE...
Tom Brady does his thing while Deltha did his invisible man impersonation.

Lonestar
10-30-2007, 03:38 PM

looks like delta is on your Christmas Card list huh?

Medford Bronco
10-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I will never foget a loss to KC in 97 that Elam hit a 50+ yard FG to but us ahead and they Pete Stoyanavich beat us with a 54 yarder as time ran out to basically lose us the Divison.

Also the game in SD in 2004 I beleive that we had 1st and goal and Jake throws a pick for us to lose by 3. I think 20-17 ish.

Medford Bronco
10-30-2007, 04:11 PM

How about Montana (with KC) beating us on a Monday Night with like 2 seconds left in 94 to JJ Birden that stiff

BroncoWave
10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I will never foget a loss to KC in 97 that Elam hit a 50+ yard FG to but us ahead and they Pete Stoyanavich beat us with a 54 yarder as time ran out to basically lose us the Divison.

Also the game in SD in 2004 I beleive that we had 1st and goal and Jake throws a pick for us to lose by 3. I think 20-17 ish.

Pete Stoyanavich. :mad:

That is actually the first Broncos game I ever remember watching, being only 8 years old then. I didn't put it in my top 5 though because how mad can you really be about a game when you're 8? :laugh:

BroncoWave
10-30-2007, 04:43 PM

Yeah I was pretty PO'ed after that one but we did pretty well considering we were starting our 3rd string QB.

Skinny
10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
This one sticks out in my mind for the regular season. It was a great game though.....http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=540

lex
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM

That would be at the top of my list. IN addition to what you said, in the week leading up to the game Schottenheimer offered bonuses for guys to take cheap shots. Marty denied this but numerous players were caught on camera admitting this.

Another one is the 2000 game vs the Bengals where Dillon broke the NFL single game rushing record. Absolutely disgraceful.

And then there was a game back in the 80s where Karlis hit the upright on a kick that lost the game and followed it up the next week by hitting the other upright in almost exactly the same situation...I think it was 1985.

lex
10-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah I was pretty PO'ed after that one but we did pretty well considering we were starting our 3rd string QB.

Yeah, plus didnt we have a lot of guys on defense injured too? To me that wasnt as disappointing because the fact that we were even in the game was a bonus all things considered.

jlarsiii
10-30-2007, 09:03 PM
For me one of the most disappointing losses has come when we have lost valuable players to injury. With that in mind I would have to go with a game on Oct 3, 1999. We lost to the Jets 21-13, but more importantly we lost Terrell Davis to a torn ACL and he was never the same. Truly a terrible regular season loss for our franchise.

lex
10-30-2007, 09:25 PM
For me one of the most disappointing losses has come when we have lost valuable players to injury. With that in mind I would have to go with a game on Oct 3, 1999. We lost to the Jets 21-13, but more importantly we lost Terrell Davis to a torn ACL and he was never the same. Truly a terrible regular season loss for our franchise.

Yeah, nice call. That Jets game was hard to take. At least Davis got back at them the next year by getting 100 yards against him. I think his 100 yard game against the Jets in 2000 was the first and last 100 yard game after his injury in 1999.

broncosfanscott
10-30-2007, 09:26 PM

I totally remember the KC game. I was so pissed because Elway did what he does best then KC does the same thing. If I remember correctly, wasn't Montana playing for KC then?

I was at the SD game, yet the one that bugs me is the loss to the Raiders in the snow. First it's the Raiders and that is my friend's favorite team.

lex
10-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I totally remember the KC game. I was so pissed because Elway did what he does best then KC does the same thing. If I remember correctly, wasn't Montana playing for KC then?

I was at the SD game, yet the one that bugs me is the loss to the Raiders in the snow. First it's the Raiders and that is my friend's favorite team.

No, that year it was Grbac/Gannon. One of the things I remember about that game is Rod making one of his all time best catches in that game. He was fast and could jump back then.

BroncoWave
10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Another one that comes to mind is when we lost to Jacksonville 7-6 (i think? not sure) and Quentin Griffith fumbled it away when we were in chip shot game winning FG range. I have hated him ever since then.

sneakers
10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
The one Patriots game where bellicheat took a safety, and they came back to win.

sneakers
10-30-2007, 11:39 PM
This one sticks out in my mind for the regular season. It was a great game though.....http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=540

That game made me really upset too! :mad:

speardog
10-31-2007, 04:19 AM
Mine was the 1984 27-24 loss to the Seahawks at Mile High. It was a battle for first place and the loss looked devastating at the time. Little did I know but three weeks later the Broncos would go up to Seattle and smash them for the division title!

I was only 14 at the time, and that loss seemed very devastating. Nowadays losses don't really bother me. Hell, it's only a game. There are much more important things out there.

The losses this year especially don't really bother me that much because I can see Denver will have a good team next year as soon as the young players mature. When the present is troubling you can always look to the future.

broncosfanscott
11-01-2007, 02:25 AM
The one Patriots game where bellicheat took a safety, and they came back to win.

I totally forgot about that one.

Medford Bronco
11-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Mine was the 1984 27-24 loss to the Seahawks at Mile High. It was a battle for first place and the loss looked devastating at the time. Little did I know but three weeks later the Broncos would go up to Seattle and smash them for the division title!

I was only 14 at the time, and that loss seemed very devastating. Nowadays losses don't really bother me. Hell, it's only a game. There are much more important things out there.

The losses this year especially don't really bother me that much because I can see Denver will have a good team next year as soon as the young players mature. When the present is troubling you can always look to the future.

Didnt Rich Karlis hit the upright trying to tie the game and the following week
do the same thing at KC (where they never win) in a 16-13 loss:confused:

Medford Bronco
11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Another bad one was in 1985 in the snow against the LA Raiders
where we lost in OT 17-14 where I think Elway fumbled in FG range for
LA

Also in 1991 where the Broncos got into FG range against the LA Raiders
and the stupid FG got blocked in a 17-16 loss

but the all time killer was in 1988 with a 24-0 lead at halftime
and only needing a win for my office pool (well my dads I was on 17 lol)

Jay Schroeder lit them up getting 30 second half points in a 30-27 loss :tsk:

common theme here is the Broncos before Shanny choked vs the Raiders
who were good back them

The Hamburgler
11-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Last year when we lost to the 49'ers and then it all fell apart.

eessydo
11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
worse broncos all time loss is last week against the packers, I'll let you know if it changes at the end of this weekend.

speardog
11-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Didnt Rich Karlis hit the upright trying to tie the game and the following week
do the same thing at KC (where they never win) in a 16-13 loss:confused:

Yep that's it. I always hated that guy. He is my all-time worse Bronco. I was so happy when he held out and Denver signed Tredwell to replace him.

RunYouOver
11-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Top 2:

Loss against the Giants in '05 (First bronco game I was ever at)

Loss against GB last week

martz11
11-04-2007, 09:33 AM

Broncos 13-0 vs. Giants 5-8

Broncos are going for history and might actually be the second team in history to go undefeated but lay an egg in the Medowlands. I was so upset I didn't talk to anyone for like 2 days. In fact I'm still kinda pissed about it.:mad:

Cugel
11-04-2007, 10:52 AM
That would be at the top of my list. IN addition to what you said, in the week leading up to the game Schottenheimer offered bonuses for guys to take cheap shots. Marty denied this but numerous players were caught on camera admitting this.

Another one is the 2000 game vs the Bengals where Dillon broke the NFL single game rushing record. Absolutely disgraceful.

And then there was a game back in the 80s where Karlis hit the upright on a kick that lost the game and followed it up the next week by hitting the other upright in almost exactly the same situation...I think it was 1985.

I was thinking that game, because it was the Bengals! That and the snow game loss to the Raiders, plus the KC game in Denver where John Elway led the comeback to gain the lead with less than a minute -- only to have Joe Montana drive right down the field for the Chiefs to win. :mad:

But really NO regular season loss will ever eclipse the soul-shattering 55-10 SB blowout to the 49ers. That took YEARS to live down.

BroncoWave
11-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I was thinking that game, because it was the Bengals! That and the snow game loss to the Raiders, plus the KC game in Denver where John Elway led the comeback to gain the lead with less than a minute -- only to have Joe Montana drive right down the field for the Chiefs to win. :mad:

But really NO regular season loss will ever eclipse the soul-shattering 55-10 SB blowout to the 49ers. That took YEARS to live down.

That's why I just limited it to regular season because if I included playoffs everyone would have said SB losses, the Jax WC game, or the 05 AFCCG.