PDA

View Full Version : Manning could be Broncos defensive MVP

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2012, 05:45 PM
On the surface, the Denver Broncos defense in 2011 would appear to have been a below average group, allowing the ninth-most points per game (24.4) and forcing the fourth-fewest turnovers per game (1.13).

However, the problem with the defense may have stemmed from problems with the offense.

The Broncos offense, led by Tim Tebow for most of the season, punted after three plays on 31 percent of their drives. Only the 2-14 Colts had a worse three-and-out percentage (32 percent).

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/49451/manning-could-be-broncos-defensive-mvp

Northman
08-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Yea, i was talking about this when he first came in. Of course, with Manning only able to go to his left that may limit us.

*/sarcasm

topscribe
08-23-2012, 10:09 AM
On the surface, the Denver Broncos defense in 2011 would appear to have
been a below average group, allowing the ninth-most points per game (24.4)
and forcing the fourth-fewest turnovers per game (1.13).

However, the problem with the defense may have stemmed from problems
with the offense.

The Broncos offense, led by Tim Tebow for most of the season, punted after
three plays on 31 percent of their drives. Only the 2-14 Colts had a worse
three-and-out percentage (32 percent).

Rest - http://tinyurl.com/93swdqq

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Lol...My guess is it would be Von Miller or Doom.

Ravage!!!
08-23-2012, 10:12 AM
sometimes we punted 14 times a game. That was absolutely horrendous. I think it showed a lot of heart for our defense to keep other teams pretty much in check as our offense stumbled over themselves.

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
sometimes we punted 14 times a game. That was absolutely horrendous. I think it showed a lot of heart for our defense to keep other teams pretty much in check as our offense stumbled over themselves.

Certainly the 3 and outs made it tough on the D, but I would still say that playing field position and limiting turnovers helped balance it out a bit.

Plus, when you consider we were running the ball A LOT....more time is going to tick off the clock on a 3 and out running the ball, as opposed to a 6 and out throwing it...It helped keep the games short, so it kind of evened itself out in the end.

Hopefully with Manning, we'll get the sustained drives as well as limited turnovers....With Tebow and Orton, it was one or the other, only question is which was worse.

Ravage!!!
08-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Certainly the 3 and outs made it tough on the D, but I would still say that playing field position and limiting turnovers helped balance it out a bit.

Plus, when you consider we were running the ball A LOT....more time is going to tick off the clock on a 3 and out running the ball, as opposed to a 6 and out throwing it...It helped keep the games short, so it kind of evened itself out in the end.

Hopefully with Manning, we'll get the sustained drives as well as limited turnovers....With Tebow and Orton, it was one or the other, only question is which was worse.

Running the clock out, when you don't have points on the board, isn't the kind of strategy I think most teams are looking for. I don't think it "evened itself out" because I wasn't looking for a short game. Not to mention, those quick 3 and outs put our defense on the field that much faster. Very rarely do you see teams throw the ball 6 times in a row without running the ball, and if you actually complete a pass (which is what QBs usually do)...then the clock continues to run.

You are right abotu the field position. Now that our offense will be able to move the ball, we'll be putting the other team in bad field position more often, as well.....thus helping us out by not starting with such crappy field position all the time.

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Running the clock out, when you don't have points on the board, isn't the kind of strategy I think most teams are looking for. I don't think it "evened itself out" because I wasn't looking for a short game. Not to mention, those quick 3 and outs put our defense on the field that much faster. Very rarely do you see teams throw the ball 6 times in a row without running the ball, and if you actually complete a pass (which is what QBs usually do)...then the clock continues to run.

You are right abotu the field position. Now that our offense will be able to move the ball, we'll be putting the other team in bad field position more often, as well.....thus helping us out by not starting with such crappy field position all the time.

Seemed to work last year...The body of evidence shows an immediate defensive improvement from the sometimes chain-moving/turnover-prone style offense, to the seldom chain-moving/non-turnover-prone offense.

Ravage!!!
08-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Seemed to work last year...The body of evidence shows an immediate defensive improvement from the sometimes chain-moving/turnover-prone style offense, to the seldom chain-moving/non-turnover-prone offense.

hah.. ok. SO you are comparing bad to bad and hoping one bad is better than the other bad. When really, the first bad was just as good as the second bad, just different types of bad. "the body of evidence".. :lol:

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 11:46 AM
hah.. ok. SO you are comparing bad to bad and hoping one bad is better than the other bad. When really, the first bad was just as good as the second bad, just different types of bad. "the body of evidence".. :lol:

Nope...one was a winning formula (perhaps the sustainability is debatable) while the other was not a winning formula (not debatable). :coffee:

Ravage!!!
08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Nope...one was a winning formula (perhaps the sustainability is debatable) while the other was not a winning formula (not debatable). :coffee:

:lol: You are talking about the player, and not the "formula" there, kiddo. Know the difference. "running out the clock" for 55 minutes and kicking the ball away 14 times isn't exactly a "winning formula".....its why teams didn't snatch up Tebow when he was on the market.

Orton won 6 games in a row, and finished 8-8 as a Bronco as well. The defense won for him, just as the defense won for Tebow. When the defense couldn't hold teams to zero points for Orton, we lost. When the defense couldn't keep the other team in check for 55 minuets, we lost. Orton won with a lack of skill. Tebow won with a lack of skill. No difference.

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 12:25 PM
:lol: You are talking about the player, and not the "formula" there, kiddo. Know the difference. "running out the clock" for 55 minutes and kicking the ball away 14 times isn't exactly a "winning formula".....its why teams didn't snatch up Tebow when he was on the market.

Orton won 6 games in a row, and finished 8-8 as a Bronco as well. The defense won for him, just as the defense won for Tebow. When the defense couldn't hold teams to zero points for Orton, we lost. When the defense couldn't keep the other team in check for 55 minuets, we lost. Orton won with a lack of skill. Tebow won with a lack of skill. No difference.

The games we lost with Tebow were games that we didn't protect the ball...got out of the winning formula.

And Tebow didn't go 8-8 either...just sayin'

Ravage!!!
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
The games we lost with Tebow were games that we didn't protect the ball...got out of the winning formula.

And Tebow didn't go 8-8 either...just sayin'

You don't know that he wouldn't have gone 8-8... just sayin'.

THat winning "formula" you are talking about..is what? Luck? You are saying it wasn't the fact that we couldn't put up points, or that we punted a ton of times, but because of turnovers. Ok, I'm sure thats how you see it. I see it as a team that used up the "55 minuts of crap" luckfest, and coudln't survive with the "formula" anymore.

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
You don't know that he wouldn't have gone 8-8... just sayin'.

THat winning "formula" you are talking about..is what? Luck? You are saying it wasn't the fact that we couldn't put up points, or that we punted a ton of times, but because of turnovers. Ok, I'm sure thats how you see it. I see it as a team that used up the "55 minuts of crap" luckfest, and coudln't survive with the "formula" anymore.

You call it luck...I would agree if it happened just a couple of times...but at some point it can no longer be considered luck.

As for the 8-8...yep we don't know what the record would have been either way...So unlike you, I'll just stick with the facts, he didn't go 8-8.

topscribe
08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
You call it luck...I would agree if it happened just a couple of times...but at some point it can no longer be considered luck.

As for the 8-8...yep we don't know what the record would have been either way...So unlike you, I'll just stick with the facts, he didn't go 8-8.
Tebow went 1-4 in his last five games. That's interesting: Orton went 1-4 and
never played another game for Denver. Tebow went 1-4, and he never played
another game for Denver.

Funny how things work out . . .

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 12:53 PM
another game for Denver.

Of course, if you make the sample size larger, Ortons record gets much worse (amusing that's even possible), while Tebow's gets much better...But I would expect you to cherry pick the sample size to fit your argument.

A better sample would be Tebow's 16 starts (9-7) vs Orton's last 16 starts (3-13).

topscribe
08-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Of course, if you make the sample size larger, Ortons record gets much worse (amusing that's even possible), while Tebow's gets much better...But I would expect you to cherry pick the sample size to fit your argument.
But then if you want to make the picture larger, Orton played with the last
place defense and near last place running game in the league. Tebow did not.
Orton was one of the top producing passers in the league in 2010, until he
was injured. Tebow was last place in passing last year.

But let's get off this Tebow/Orton thing before half the posters here throw
up in their respective mouths (including me). What'ya say?

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
But then if you want to make the picture larger, Orton played with the last
place defense and near last place running game in the league. Tebow did not.
Orton was one of the top producing passers in the league in 2010, until he
was injured. Tebow was last place in passing last year.

But let's get off this Tebow/Orton thing before half the posters here throw
up in their respective mouths (including me). What'ya say?

They had the same defense and RB's...But yeah, let's move on. :beer:

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
We have more pressing concerns anyway...like our current QB who has 0 TD's 3 INT's so far this preseason :couch:

topscribe
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
We have more pressing concerns anyway...like our current QB who has 0 TD's 3 INT's so far this preseason :couch:
Jerk. :laugh:

vandammage13
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Jerk. :laugh:

Not to mention his neck is attached to his body by a few staples..lol

I'll be here all night, folks!

topscribe
08-23-2012, 02:45 PM
rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/49451/manning-could-be-broncos-defensive-mvp
Wow, I actually looked for this before I started mine, but never saw it . . .

Dzone
08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Not to mention his neck is attached to his body by a few staples..lol

Nobody is supposed to talk about that. That topic is off limits. Any talk of Mannings neck is pissing in someones corn flakes:listen:

MOtorboat
08-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Sure it can.

How do explain Orton's 8-2 start as a Bronco?

Chef Zambini
08-23-2012, 11:50 PM
are we moving manning to safety?
sweet !

Chef Zambini
08-23-2012, 11:56 PM
orton started 6-0
tebow started 6-0,
both incompetent QBs only won 2 games after their miraculous starts, thanks to the talent of others and the absence of LUCK that gave them those early victories

Ravage!!!
08-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Nobody is supposed to talk about that. That topic is off limits. Any talk of Mannings neck is pissing in someones corn flakes:listen:

You can talk about the neck... but don't post things unintelligent things like "his neck is attached by staples." Manning's NECK was never injured. It just shows ignorance when someone posts things like this. He didn't miss games because he hurt his neck.He didn't break his neck, nor did he....in any way.. hurt the bones/muscles of the neck. He had a nerve problem, that was located in the neck. Thats a HUGE difference from the "he's one hit away because of a weak neck" comment.

Ravage!!!
08-24-2012, 10:19 AM

You still think Tebow is a good QB... so you aren't much into facts.

catfish
08-24-2012, 10:51 AM
another game for Denver.

post deleted to stop poking the bear

turftoad
08-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Um....... it has only happened a couple of times. He has FAR from totally proven himself as of yet.

Nomad
08-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm anxious to see the Manning led offense and VonDoom led defense gel together. Should be some good BRONCOS football this year though last year was fun to watch as well except the Patriots game in the playoffs.