PDA

View Full Version : The Non-redzone offense

SBboundBRONCOS
10-30-2007, 11:29 AM
i brought this up a few weeks ago over at BM but people are to busy argueing over fairweather fans and deciding who this team should fire to even read it i think. what do you guys think. remember this was before walker was hurt, and every other problem but i think it still holds true for the most part

"so guys i realize that our red-zone offence has been mediocre at best but at least we have scored some TD from there. however right now i think an even bigger problem is our non red-zone offence. when was the last time we scored a TD without being in the redzone, when have we had a big play, that long bomb to ou big fast recievers, or a nice run that actualy turns into something.

right now i feel that as big of a problem as our red-zone play has been, the play outside of the redzone is even more devastating to our success. we are not keeping defences honest with big plays, long runs or anything resulting in points beyond fieldgoals. while i love marching down the field and watching cutler learn to disect the defense i want to see some big plays. teams are not recognizing us as the threat we should be and are not very afraid to play us. we are not utlizing our TE, scheffler had a good game today but was only used 2-3 times, graham maybe 1-2 times. and we are doing a terrible job of mixing it up

i cannot say ive ever been more dissapointed in a team with so much talent"

SR
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I think you're wrong. Our offense between the 20s is rock solid. Once we get in to the red zone the play calling falls apart. It isn't execution of plays that is killing us in the red zone, it's the plays that are being called in.

SBboundBRONCOS
10-30-2007, 11:56 AM
I think you're wrong. Our offense between the 20s is rock solid. Once we get in to the red zone the play calling falls apart. It isn't execution of plays that is killing us in the red zone, it's the plays that are being called in.

i think you missed my point, if its not clear im sorry.

yes we have been moving the ball very good and up to the redzone, but it seems we are always in the redzone, always and thats where it ends. we are in the redzone too much (if that makes sense).

teams can allow the bend but dont break style of D with us because while we are doing ok inside the redzone we havent done anything outside of it. look at every other team that is doing good/great they have scored long TDs we havent. plain and simple. we havent even threatend scoring from outside the 20. both the packers TDs came on 1st down i believe when the D is probably most expecting a run. we however always run on first down or throw a terrible slant route that only gets a first

OB
10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree - and it is the play calling cause I was saying the same thing two years ago when Jake was QB'ng - we cant score 7 in the RZ - period - thats usually play calling most of the time

My teams are falling apart, everything is just falling apart around me lately

I need to go hide somewhere :ahhhhh:

Lonestar
10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
It is the coyer thing in reverse "bend but do not break" cause they are stumble bums in the red zone give them the FG and we can go back and get a TD instead.

Your correct we have had nothing deep this year to stretch the defenses let them catch the ball in front of you do not let anyone get past your mentality.. When they are out on the 30-40 yard line take a shot or two into the end zone and see if that opens up the defense a bit.

SBboundBRONCOS
10-30-2007, 02:05 PM
It is the coyer thing in reverse "bend but do not break" cause they are stumble bums in the red zone give them the FG and we can go back and get a TD instead.

Your correct we have had nothing deep this year to stretch the defenses let them catch the ball in front of you do not let anyone get past your mentality.. When they are out on the 30-40 yard line take a shot or two into the end zone and see if that opens up the defense a bit.

exactly, i really want to see something like that,

on any of those 3 plays on our last drive this game preferably the 3rd down play instead of that horrific QB dive why not try a pass, tell jay to only throw it if hes got something for a TD which is very likely because he is money down their and on 3rd down. if you get the TD you win if not the clock stops and you dont have to have another last second run on the field and kick fieldgoal.

and if it does happen to be an INT so be it, at least we tried, had some stones and show some faith in our young franchise QB

Lonestar
10-30-2007, 03:04 PM
sounds like we need a name for our no score redzone offense..

Any ideas???

jlarsiii
10-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I see the point that you are trying to make with desiring more big plays (or at least some attempts) by our offense, but I would still take better red zone efficiency than a 30+ yard bomb.

If the game last night was a microcosm of our season so far, then we come out with a W if we score TDs instead of FGs. Everyone likes to see the big plays, but I would rather see better playcalling and execution that would result in getting a TD instead of a FG.

I like what I see as far as potential is concerned with this team. However, it really is looking like this season will be a lost cause as far as getting to the playoffs and beyond this year. Right now we don't have the necessary parts and playcalling to get it done.

And JR, I would say we have the red light offense. Once we hit the "red zone" we stop dead just like at a street light. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 bucks. Done. . . .

Lonestar
10-30-2007, 03:36 PM
I see the point that you are trying to make with desiring more big plays (or at least some attempts) by our offense, but I would still take better red zone efficiency than a 30+ yard bomb.

If the game last night was a microcosm of our season so far, then we come out with a W if we score TDs instead of FGs. Everyone likes to see the big plays, but I would rather see better playcalling and execution that would result in getting a TD instead of a FG.

I like what I see as far as potential is concerned with this team. However, it really is looking like this season will be a lost cause as far as getting to the playoffs and beyond this year. Right now we don't have the necessary parts and playcalling to get it done.

And JR, I would say we have the red light offense. Once we hit the "red zone" we stop dead just like at a street light. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 bucks. Done. . . .

Red Light I like it.. if we get enough of these we will start a poll...

I think he was getting at since we can't do squat in the Red zone start heaving the ball into the end zone from +20 yards out maybe we get a PI call in the end zone.. If we get a couple of those just maybe the dam will break..

SBboundBRONCOS
10-30-2007, 10:38 PM

yeah but i guess this sounds weird, i think if we were able to score from anywhere we open up everything. you can only do so much in the redzone and its not a lot. while i enjoy being able to get to the redzone i think it limits this offense, like i said we can only do so much and by then the D has figured us out

. . . . . just look at GB 2 bombs on first for TDs, how did their red zone offense do . . . . . not good

our longest play is only 49 yards and it didnt even score this year.

speardog
10-31-2007, 04:44 AM

I think it's Cutler's inexperience. Shanny is being conservative because Cutler is still green and throwing in the redzone is one of the most difficult things for a QB. The loss of Rod Smith and Javon Walker hasn't helped either.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
I think it's Cutler's inexperience. Shanny is being conservative because Cutler is still green and throwing in the redzone is one of the most difficult things for a QB. The loss of Rod Smith and Javon Walker hasn't helped either.

i agree but i saw some stats that showed 8 td to 0 ints in the red zone, let him do it,:cool: