PDA

View Full Version : Can the Broncos afford Maurice Jones-Drew?

BronColt
08-21-2012, 07:52 PM
He wants out, should we get him?

The comments by Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan on Tuesday sparked a visceral reaction from a disgruntled Maurice Jones-Drew. The running back even told one person close to him that if the owner really isn't concerned with him, then he should trade him to someone who will be.

If Jones-Drew is expendable, his camp believes that gives them permission to seek a trade. But the running back's trade value isn't clear, because the new team would have to offer him a new contract, as well.

Earlier today, Khan reiterated once again that he won't back down to Jones-Drew's desires for a new contract with two years remaining on his current deal. "Train is leaving the station," Khan said, "Run, get on it." Earlier in the week, Khan told Yahoo! Sports about his absence, "Believe me, it's not a great concern."

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000052711/jaguars-rb-jonesdrew-open-to-trade-after-owners-comments

He is owed roughly $4.45 million this season and $4.95 million next season.

BronColt
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Fox LOVES two back sets!

SmilinAssasSin27
08-21-2012, 08:06 PM
screw MJD. He signs a fontloaded deal, gets the real money and then cries cuz he "isn't being paid what he's worth" when the pay decreases. This closeminded, selfish diva shit has to stop.

Simple Jaded
08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Worst case scenario, he'll sit out 11 games and come back and get his tenure, saving wear and tear on his body.......

dogfish
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
fook no! he has two years left on his current deal, and i seriously question whether his knees have enough left to get him through those-- let alone the two or three more years he obviously wants added to the contract. . . helluva player, but he needs to accept the reality of his situation. . . in a league that eats RBs, he's taken more punishment than anyone-- there isn't another big deal coming, no one is going to lock him up long term to big money with all the mileage on his body. . . i hope he saved some of the cash from his current deal. . .

Bugs Baloney
08-21-2012, 09:23 PM
screw MJD. He signs a fontloaded deal, gets the real money and then cries cuz he "isn't being paid what he's worth" when the pay decreases. This closeminded, selfish diva shit has to stop.

i totally agree, although this can also be said about 99% of every athlete in most sports. unfortunately us fans
get screwed the most with the absurd prices for tickets, concessions, and parking. it's sad when families cannot
afford to take their kids out to a game anymore. imagine if max pay for these divas was set at 1 million or less.
they would still be rich, and the average working citizen could enjoy a day/night out at the park or stadium.

MOtorboat
08-21-2012, 09:45 PM
No.

/Thread

Simple Jaded
08-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Keep an eye on cuts, maybe there'll be someone the Broncos DO want to pursue.

Da'Rell Scott is on the bubble. Lorenzo Booker would make a nice returner. How does NO's roster shape out? But with all the RB's that are getting dinged up it should be interesting.

It's also entirely possible that Denver is intent on going with what they already have.

It's worth noting that Denver has only one RB with PS eligibility and he ain't getting cut.......

TXBRONC
08-21-2012, 10:20 PM
No we shouldn't.

WARHORSE
08-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Elway is building through the draft.
Hes shown himself up to par so far.

But Id trade for MJD now, . He does not take a beating though he runs hard. Hes an awesome pass blocker.He does it all catching out of the backfield. I totally think he has four years left. He didnt run that much his first three years.

He averages over four yards in Jax, and led the league with no quarterback.

With Peyton Manning and this offense, he would eat......it......alive.

I think with Peyton having a short window left, it would be worth it to trade for the man.

MJD would be a real destrier here.

I guess Im in the minority, but I would trade for him.

OrangeHoof
08-21-2012, 11:16 PM
I thought we were talking about Maurice Clarett and my gut reaction was "Haillllllllll No!"

smith49
08-22-2012, 06:42 AM

But Id trade for MJD now, . He does not take a beating though he runs hard. Hes an awesome pass blocker.He does it all catching out of the backfield. I totally think he has four years left. He didnt run that much his first three years.

I think with Peyton having a short window left, it would be worth it to trade for the man.

I guess Im in the minority, but I would trade for him.

I'm with u War. I'm all aboard the MJD train!!

Northman
08-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Pass.

MileHighCrew
08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
I would have to see what we would have to give up to be honest. But considering what I thin Jax would want I'd say no

Dzone
08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
If KNowshon had lived up to his draft position, we wouldnt even be talking about mjd. Just another reason that Knowshon sucks. Thanks Mcdaniels

vandammage13
08-22-2012, 09:29 AM

That said, I would still want him on my team.

With Manning's age, I would say we need to go for it now...I think MJD has a few elite level years left in him.

I would be willing to mortgage a couple of valuable future draft picks to get this guy and go for it all.

threefolddead
08-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Love to see him a Bronco but I got to imagine whatever you give up to get him is going to be insane.

weazel
08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I love the idea of his blocking and his receiving out of the backfield but the price would be too high both in what the Broncos would have to trade and in contract negotiations. SO I guess that would be a no from me.

vandammage13
08-22-2012, 09:59 AM
I love the idea of his blocking and his receiving out of the backfield but the price would be too high both in what the Broncos would have to trade and in contract negotiations. SO I guess that would be a no from me.

We don't know what the price will be yet...It could very well turn out that Jacksonville may be willing to let him go for a reasonable price if MJD is intent on not playing this year.

LTC Pain
08-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Love to see him a Bronco but I got to imagine whatever you give up to get him is going to be insane.

This! And the other lick is that MJD is holding out for more money even though he's under contract for two more years. Who says he won't hold out on the team he gets traded to??? So, we pay out the nose in a trade, then hand MJD more money on top of that??? Oh, hell no. Let the little "I'm under contract but want more money" diva rot.

Chef Zambini
08-22-2012, 11:38 AM

I guess Im in the minority, but I would trade for him.best post of this thread !

Chef Zambini
08-22-2012, 11:43 AM
the #1 rusher in the NFL wants to be highest paid too. wow what a huge surprize.
but now he feels disrespected and wantsa out, he will take his CURRENT contract to a team that he feels respects him, and one he believes in.
enter the broncos !
I would trade willis and moreno for him, throw in DJ too !

LTC Pain
08-22-2012, 02:13 PM
the #1 rusher in the NFL wants to be highest paid too. wow what a huge surprize.
but now he feels disrespected and wantsa out, he will take his CURRENT contract to a team that he feels respects him, and one he believes in.
enter the broncos !
I would trade willis and moreno for him, throw in DJ too !

Horse crap Zam!!! He wants out of Jacksonville cause he wants more money and the owner won't cough it up. That's the disrespect that MJD is feeling. If you think he will take his current contract, with two years remaining, and be happy on the next team without getting a raise you need to go out and get a new MMJ prescription! Respecting MJD = giving him a big raise.

Northman
08-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Zam is endless entertainment on here.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Denver should just trade everybody they plan to cut for MJD, that oughta show how much they respect him.......and then get him to take a paycut.......

Simple Jaded
08-22-2012, 02:32 PM
That said, I would still want him on my team.

With Manning's age, I would say we need to go for it now...I think MJD has a few elite level years left in him.

I would be willing to mortgage a couple of valuable future draft picks to get this guy and go for it all.

Nobody is going to give up valuable draft picks for a RB, that is just not in the culture of the NFL today. Especially not for a RB that has a history of knee issues and wants a fat new contract. Players, period, are like cars today, they depreciate the second you sign on the dotted line, but RB's especially.

This is not the kind of move the Denver Broncos will ever be inclined to make.......

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
from article:

NFL Network and NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports that Jacksonville has received calls about Jones-Drew before and after the running back said he'd be open to a trade. They Jaguars are not "actively" trying to trade him, though.

Of course, they could passively listen if some team sent them a Godfather offer. It's hard to imagine any team wanting to give up a few high picks and a big contract for Jones-Drew, but the New York Jets seem like a team that might just be crazy enough to give up that many resources for an aging running back.

While it's not as exciting, the most likely ending to all this Jones-Drew talk is still that he ends up back with the Jaguars in time for Week 1.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000053037/article/maurice-jonesdrew-drawing-trade-interest-around-nfl?module=HP11_headline_stack

Northman
08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Man, Ryan must be desperate. Jets starting to sound like the Raiders.

Ravage!!!
08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't think a team gives up high draft picks for a RB. Doesn't make sense to do that. Not long ago, the Patriots got Randy Moss for a 4th. When was the last big-name RB traded for a top pick?

MJD isn't simply going to be traded and sign his current deal. He got paid a front loaded contract, and now wants to look at his base pay and claim he's being "underpaid." Same thing that whats-his-name did in Baltimore.