PDA

View Full Version : Middle LineBacker

underrated29
08-21-2012, 12:35 PM
So the question then begins with how is next years crops of MLBs?

From what I remember the Mike Backers was fairley deep for 2013 as it has kind of sucked the past two years with only a couple first round talents.
We might go T, especially if clady leaves, but all things remaining the same LB has to be our spot. So anyone know some good Mikes to keep an eye on.

MOtorboat
08-21-2012, 12:42 PM
McShay has the Broncos taking Monti Te'o from Notre Dame.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7879285/nfl-mock-draft-looking-ahead-2013

underrated29
08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
McShay has the Broncos taking Monti Te'o from Notre Dame.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7879285/nfl-mock-draft-looking-ahead-2013

im not an insider so I can not see, but the first two picks....

What does he say? What do you think of him Mo? Would he be worthy (as it stands now) to be someone we take to replace long lost al wilson?

MOtorboat
08-21-2012, 12:46 PM
im not an insider so I can not see, but the first two picks....

What does he say? What do you think of him Mo? Would he be worthy (as it stands now) to be someone we take to replace long lost al wilson?

There's no analysis. Just a pick.

I hear his name a lot, but since Notre Dame has sucked the last few years I actually haven't watched them much.

NightTerror218
08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I will have to turn on a ND game to check him out this season.

NightTerror218
08-21-2012, 12:48 PM
If there is a guy like Keuchly I would trade up with 1 and 3 to move up to top 15 (prob not top 10).

G_Money
08-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Unless he sucks this year or run a 4.7 40 we might need a top-15 pick to get Te'o. He was the next guy in line after Kuechly, ahead of Hightower (he and Hightower are similar players). Problem is, he's the upgraded version of Mays. He's had some trouble before covering faster backs and TEs - though that is what I'll be watching most this year; I was very interested in Laurinaitis a couple of years ago even after the same thing was said about him, and I didn't see his utter deficiency there. He's been a good pro 'backer. If we're cool with drafting a guy who might just be a good 2-down player in the first, go for it. I like Te'o. His vision and pursuit is worlds better than Mays's, and I think he'll stay on the field for 3 downs, certainly more often than Joe. He's also a leader and a punishing run defender.

I'd be happy with Te'o. The other LBs are a bit suspect. Ogletree is a moron (suspended again), Borland and Nico Johnson aren't three down guys, and Wort's kinda small (though I was big on Beason and he didn't disappoint either, so keeping an eye on Wort for sure). I'm curious to see how the year goes, but some guys are gonna have to step it up if we're gonna have good choices for our 4-3 MLB position. More likely that we'd take a MLB in the 2nd, IMO - but no draft estimate survives the first month of the season.

~G

NightTerror218
08-21-2012, 02:02 PM
I could see our first 2 draft picks being a OL and MLB. MLB would be my top choice. Keuchley flew up draft boards last season. I will wait to see who does the same this season and watch players to see who is out there.

Just because out OL and LB depth and proven to be bad. And MLB has the worst depth. We may have drafted 2 last draft but they are not OLB position backups. Unless our young LBs have a breakout season I see it as a need in the draft. Same as OL. With the revamped secondary i see that as a strong point. Doom, Wolfe and Warren on DL does not make it a weak spot.

G_Money
08-21-2012, 02:16 PM
I like what I've seen from Irving this preseason (except for that worthless around-the-neck tackle attempt on a 5'8 back), but I'm not sure if we plan to use him inside or not. If we don't, we'll need a MLB.

My first pick in next year's draft would be an OT, though, like you said. Keep Manning alive and add to our depth because we can bump Franklin inside, put Beadles as a 2nd stringer, make it so Walton doesn't have to double team every single play... It would help, let's just say. But maybe I'm wrong about Franklin and he'll be fine this year. We'll certainly get to find out.

But for right now, I want an OT. Jake Matthews right now is the guy I would DEARLY love, because, well dammit he's a Matthews, of the baddass Matthewses (I'm not kidding). But there will be some good RT options. Let's see if we pick one up - our OL depth still scares the bajeezus outta me.

~G

Ziggy
08-21-2012, 03:26 PM
I'd add Kevin Reddick to the list of ILB prospects to watch. He can be a 3 down linebacker at the next level if he can stay healthy. Very good tackler, good athletic ability, and decent in coverage. He's always around the ball.

chazoe60
08-21-2012, 03:32 PM
All I want is a young Ray Lewis, is that too much to ask?

Ravage!!!
08-21-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm glad Clady isn't going anywhere

SmilinAssasSin27
08-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Te'o is a stud, but the 2 I havemy eyes on are Skov of Stanford and Niko Johnson of Alabam.

NightTerror218
08-21-2012, 07:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/preview12/story/_/id/8284250/top-players-coaches-teams-honored-herbie-awards

List of possible top players are each position.....

ILB
1. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina (is suppose to be a beast)
2. Shayne Skov, Stanford
3. Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
4. Nico Johnson, Alabama
5. Chris Borland, Wisconsin

Simple Jaded
08-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Te'o will be long gone, even if the Broncos struggle. He's was also a filthy F'n RB in high school, but he's a complete 3-down MLB who would have been a Top20 pick this year. If not higher, though maybe he knew something we don't, like he's not really a 4.6 LB, leading him to return for Sr season. I liked Keuckly better, tho.

SR's I'll be watching.
Jon Bostic 6-1/240, 4.59 Florida
Nico Johnson 6-2/245, 4.63 Bama
Shayne Skov 6-3/244, 4.65 Stanford
Kenny Demens 6-1/242, 4.60 Michigan

JR's
Tom Wort 6-1/230, 4.52 Oklahoma (WLB)
Kevin Minter 6-1/245, 4.65 LSU
Glenn Carson 6-2/240, 4.65 Penn St

I sincerely hope LB is targeted early and often.......

MOtorboat
08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/preview12/story/_/id/8284250/top-players-coaches-teams-honored-herbie-awards

List of possible top players are each position.....

ILB
1. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina (is suppose to be a beast)
2. Shayne Skov, Stanford
3. Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
4. Nico Johnson, Alabama
5. Chris Borland, Wisconsin

Just a note here, because, I myself did a double take when I saw this list. This is Herbstreits predictions for production this year in college, not a prospect list.

Te'o seems to be the consensus top prospect for the NFL.

Ziggy
08-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Eh, just give me James Lauriniatis in free agency next season.

CoachChaz
08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Unless someone impressively steps up, there really isnt much to get excited about after Te'o, Skov or Reddick. Maybe Minter if he comes out.

CoachChaz
08-22-2012, 08:44 AM
I like what I've seen from Irving this preseason (except for that worthless around-the-neck tackle attempt on a 5'8 back), but I'm not sure if we plan to use him inside or not. If we don't, we'll need a MLB.

My first pick in next year's draft would be an OT, though, like you said. Keep Manning alive and add to our depth because we can bump Franklin inside, put Beadles as a 2nd stringer, make it so Walton doesn't have to double team every single play... It would help, let's just say. But maybe I'm wrong about Franklin and he'll be fine this year. We'll certainly get to find out.

But for right now, I want an OT. Jake Matthews right now is the guy I would DEARLY love, because, well dammit he's a Matthews, of the baddass Matthewses (I'm not kidding). But there will be some good RT options. Let's see if we pick one up - our OL depth still scares the bajeezus outta me.

~G

Matthews and Joekel are both stud bookends for the Aggie line. Both are also still juniors. Depends on if they decide to enter the draft.

underrated29
08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
So its not a super deep ILB draft then again huh?

We might be better off trying to nab one on the FA market?

I like my Mike backers in the 250 range of weight. 245 is good, but it seems like the lb smaller than that often times get bulled out of the play or ran over by some of the bigger RBs in the league.

NightTerror218
08-22-2012, 12:03 PM
I was high on Keuchly during the season. He was smashed my analysis saying he was not quick, strong only a good tackler. Then combine came and he was awesome. I would have loved to have drafted him. He was not on people's radars too much from what i remember till the end of the season.

Simple Jaded
08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Eh, just give me James Lauriniatis in free agency next season.

Rams began extension talks with Lauriniatis after they extended Long, rumor is it'll be done before the beginning of the season.......

LTC Pain
08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
But didn't Irving play most of the Seahawks game in the middle? He sure looked like he was lined up right behind the front four and not on the edge. I thought he did alright.

NightTerror218
08-22-2012, 04:28 PM
But didn't Irving play most of the Seahawks game in the middle? He sure looked like he was lined up right behind the front four and not on the edge. I thought he did alright.

If he can make strides and develop more this year that would be great. But if he is not making progress I see that position being addressed early since that is the only major position of need. Otherwise it will be best player available and most impact player.