PDA

View Full Version : Broncos linebacker Joe Mays said run defense wasn’t good enough

Denver Native (Carol)
08-20-2012, 03:28 PM
DOVE VALLEY — Middle linebacker Joe Mays didn’t sugar coat anything about the way the Broncos’ defense played in Saturday’s 30-10 preseason loss to Seattle.

“It was terrible,” Mays said. “We know how we can come out and play this game. We know that we can come out and play with the best of them. We definitely didn’t show that this past weekend.”

The starting defense played together into the second quarter, when several starters were then replaced. Players including Mays, linebacker Wesley Woodyard, defensive tackle Ty Warren and cornerbacks Drayton Florence and Chris Harris, who played nickel with the starters, remained in for the whole first half.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/08/20/broncos-linebacker-joe-mays-run-defense-good/14957/?source=rsshomeblog

CoachChaz
08-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Captain Obvious

LTC Pain
08-20-2012, 03:34 PM
No shit Sherlocke!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I appreciate this coming from a player - admitting it

GEM
08-20-2012, 04:00 PM
And he is one of the worst. So tired of his arm tackling and looking for the big hit, then missing the big hit and the guy getting by him.

topscribe
08-20-2012, 04:03 PM
I appreciate this coming from a player - admitting it
My thoughts exactly. Greatness begins with humility. Not to say Mays will be
"Great," but when the player comes to know who "signs the checks" to his
performances (to borrow a Manning expression), he's halfway there. Of
course, one can only hope he has the talent to take him the rest of the way . . .

NightTerror218
08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I counted 2 missed tackles in the first quarter by him. or Lynch was just that good. He can deliver some incredibly hard hits........when he actually connects.

Mike
08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
My thoughts exactly. Greatness begins with humility. Not to say Mays will be
"Great," but when the player comes to know who "signs the checks" to his
performances (to borrow a Manning expression), he's halfway there. Of
course, one can only hope he has the talent to take him the rest of the way . . .

He doesn't.

topscribe
08-20-2012, 04:09 PM
He doesn't.
Well, I was quite surprised with the extension they gave him. I just keep hoping they see something I don't . . .

Mike
08-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Well, I was quite surprised with the extension they gave him. I just keep hoping they see something I don't . . .

I think the same thing about Lance Ball. What the heck do they see in him? At least in Mays, there is the stink of LB depth that applies.

Simply put, Mays extension was one of the dumbest moves the FO has made, IMO.

topscribe
08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
I think the same thing about Lance Ball. What the heck do they see in him? At least in Mays, there is the stink of LB depth that applies.

Simply put, Mays extension was one of the dumbest moves the FO has made, IMO.
I would love for you to be wrong about Mays, and I know you would love that, too.

As for Ball, I see him hanging around while Omon and/or JJ hit the road. My thoughts: :eviltongue:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-20-2012, 04:52 PM
They were discussing Lance Ball on the fan this morning, and their opinion was that he would make the team based on him being on the special team.

Ziggy
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Joe Mays is the weak link on this defense. As bad as it sounds, Keith Brooking may be the saviour of the defense this season. All we need out of the MLB is a 2 down thumper that can actually fill the right gap, make a tackle and stop the run. You can bring in Trevathan and Woodyard for passing downs, and control the tempo of the game. Mays is the worst starting middle LB in the NFL, hands down. Give me an older, slower guy with great instincts that won't whiff on every other tackle, and this defense is greatly improved.

G_Money
08-20-2012, 05:59 PM
I try to look on the bright side. Mays is not Nate-Webster bad. He pisses me off because he guesses on a hole but at least he mostly FILLS that hole and doesn't dance like an idiot after screwing something up. We've had worse LB corps that what we're running out there, without DJ even.

But yeah, Mays is gonna make me throw things this year, I guarantee it. Hopefully we'll have a lot of leads and we won't need to be stuffing the run for all 4 quarters, but with the offenses in our division Joe is gonna have to play better.

~G

EMB6903
08-20-2012, 07:01 PM
And he is one of the worst. So tired of his arm tackling and looking for the big hit, then missing the big hit and the guy getting by him.

Mays is a liability on this defense

Tired of the hard hitting/ never wrapping up/ unathletic/ over pursuing "hard hitter"

I dont understand why he was resigned.

sneakers
08-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Joe Mays is the Lance Ball of defense.

Dzone
08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
What announcer was comparing Mays to Sam Mills on Saturday night? Now thats a stretch.

sneakers
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
What announcer was comparing Mays to Sam Mills on Saturday night? Now thats a stretch.

Maybe they look kinda similar......?