PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' injury replacements pass their first test of the preseason

Denver Native (Carol)
08-19-2012, 09:07 PM
After a difficult work week that saw Chris Kuper, Jason Hunter and Kevin Vickerson suffer injuries, the Broncos put coach John Fox's next-man-up mantra to a stern test Saturday night at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

Manny Ramirez started at right guard for Kuper, who suffered a fractured bone in his left forearm earlier in the week. And with Hunter (torn triceps) expected to miss the season with his injury and Vickerson having suffered a concussion as the practice week drew to a close, the Broncos were forced to play mix and match in the defensive line as well.

"We kind of operate on a next-man-up philosophy around here," Fox has said. "We know injuries are going to happen; you don't want them to happen. But it's also an opportunity for someone else."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21346808/broncos-injury-replacements-pass-their-first-test-preseason

HORSEPOWER 56
08-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Is it bad that our backup RG (Ramirez) is playing better than our 3rd year starter at LG (Beadles)? Perhaps when Kuper comes back, a switch is in order.

LTC Pain
08-20-2012, 08:53 AM
In the DP this morning it said Mohamed (hamstring) and Irving (ribs) were both injured, depleting and already thin LB Corps. I liked what I've seen from both guys in two preseason games. Except, of course, Irving missing a tackle on the Seahawks TD :(

topscribe
08-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Hmmm . . . it says Bannan started in Vickerson's place.

I thought Bannan was a starter at DT. *shrugs*

The Doctor
08-20-2012, 01:04 PM
"We kind of operate on a next-man-up philosophy around here," Fox has said.

Every time I hear a coach say this I can't help but think it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Next-man-up philosophy? As opposed to what? Of course it's the next man up, they just hope that next man doesn't stink up the joint.

shank
08-20-2012, 01:40 PM
"We kind of operate on a next-man-up philosophy around here," Fox has said.

Every time I hear a coach say this I can't help but think it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Next-man-up philosophy? As opposed to what? Of course it's the next man up, they just hope that next man doesn't stink up the joint.

who?

The Doctor
08-20-2012, 02:41 PM
who?

Exactly