PDA

View Full Version : Wiegmann won't get "tired" after offseason routine

Lonestar
08-03-2009, 03:16 AM
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/03/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

With 13 training camps already in his career rearview mirror and 8,046 snaps played since the second game of the 2001 season, Broncos center Casey Wiegmann might know a thing or three about getting ready for a season.

So, Wiegmann decided this past offseason to try a little something different in his workouts.

"We flipped some tractor tires a couple times a week," Wiegmann said. "It really helped with my grip and was just something to change the pace a little bit."

Wiegmann has traditionally stuck to conventional weightlifting and running to work his way through the offseason. But with a friend, Wiegmann decided this year to add flipping tires end over end to strengthen his hands as well as using his leverage to get the tire over each time.

"So I think I had a real good summer of training. I was really ready to come back," Wiegmann said. "The only thing to worry about, really, was the conditioning test, just because we had never really had one of those here."

Every Broncos player had to pass the test — a series of 100-yard dashes with short periods between each — before he could practice. Wiegmann and others said players were nervous enough to have practiced the test before the start of camp.

"There's no question people were worried. That's what they told us leaving here in the spring, is make sure you can get the times," said Wiegmann, who started all 16 games in 2008 for Denver. "I ran it on a track before I got here, so I knew I could make the times."

Good fortune.

After Nic Clemons suffered a scary-looking injury, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said the defensive end might miss only a "few days."

Clemons was given an MRI on his left knee, and McDaniels said Clemons could return to practice in the coming weeks. Clemons collided with running back Peyton Hillis during Saturday afternoon's practice.

Initially, there were some with the team who believed Clemons might have damaged his anterior cruciate ligament,

which likely would have been a season-ending injury.
"But . . . nothing serious, and hopefully he'll be back here soon," McDaniels said.

Holdouts, Day 3.

Broncos first- round draft picks Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers remained unsigned and have missed three days of training camp and five full-squad practices.

As of Sunday afternoon, only 11 of the NFL's 32 first-round picks were unsigned, and two of them belong to the Broncos. Moreno still isn't in Denver, an indication a deal is not imminent.

Ayers, the No. 18 overall selection, would appear to be slotted into a contract after three players selected directly in front of him, and six players directly behind, reached agreements.

"Hopefully, it is done very soon, and when it is done, we look forward to getting him in here and trying to play catch-up," McDaniels said.

Footnote.

Safety Vernon Fox, who did not practice Saturday because of a sore right ankle, practiced Sunday with the ankle wrapped.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12980337?source=rss

Dirk
08-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Get those contracts done boys!!

You gotta love when a player goes and does what he needs to in order to be ready. Way to go Casey! :salute: